Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How can one deepen their practice?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

You might need to be more specific :) Are you talking about meditation? What kind? What do you currently do? Something other than meditation? What exactly are you wanting to deepen?

In my experience, the deepest experience of practice up to this point is carrying forth the peace and calm into every day life. Or rather, attempting to, lol.

• msac123msac123 Explorer

I see what you mean. I guess I was talking more about how to carry that calmness and tranquility into everyday life. That's a good thought though, "the deepest experience of practice up to this point is carrying forth the peace and calm into every day life. Or rather, attempting to, lol." I guess that's something I just need to work on and figure out for myself. Thank you, though. :D

It comes slowly and little bits at a time, at least for me. After 3 years of daily meditation I am more patient, less quick to react, more likely to let things go, more calm in dealing with stressful situations, more likely to take time to respond, and so on. It's an improvement, but still a long ways to go. But the calmer mind I have immediately after meditation (alone or with a group) or after a retreat lasts longer than it used to.

Also, I've gotten better about being able to more quickly get into a calmer state when meditating, so that means I can bring that into daily life better. I can take a couple minutes and meditate while I am waiting in my car to pick up one of the kids, I can meditate by being mindful when I wash dishes, and so on. Even today I was helping at my son's preschool and the kids were waiting in line and were really hyper. So the teachers guide them in calming their bodies and taking deep breaths, so I did it with them, just letting go or dissolving into space when exhaling. Works wonders, once you are established in meditation and have confidence in it.

I recognize better when I am going to get worked up over something before it happens, so I can stop it from happening or at least stop my reaction from making matters worse. But even that has been a very gradual thing, and I still overract sometimes. Just not all the time like I used to, lol.

anatamanVastmind
  • Aspiring_BuddhistAspiring_Buddhist Seeker of the Buddha Within WA Veteran

@msac123 said:

Practice more?

Less glib: You could try to find a local Buddhist temple where you are and spend time with the teachers/monks/other Buddhists. The Sangha will help you.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited March 2014

@msac123 said:
    I see what you mean. I guess I was talking more about how to carry that calmness and tranquility into everyday life. That's a good thought though, "the deepest experience of practice up to this point is carrying forth the peace and calm into every day life. Or rather, attempting to, lol." I guess that's something I just need to work on and figure out for myself. Thank you, though. :D

To carry that calmness and tranquility into normal life, you shouldn't think that meditation has ended when you get off the cushion... Rather it is another meditation experience...

When you think, you think
    When you speak, you speak
    When you tap crap,
    you just tap crap!

pegembara
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

How can one deepen their practice?

By developing the willingness to do so.

wangchueyInvincible_summerVastmindmsac123
  • How can one deepen their practice?

Start in the shallows. Have you sat on a cushion? Do you plan to?

wangchueyBuddhadragon
  • One of these two approaches.

Invincible_summerCinorjer
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@msac123 said:

Do more!

CinorjerBuddhadragon

To go along with what Cinorjer said, it might be worthwhile to push yourself out of your comfort zone a little bit, too. Discomfort tends to be what makes us grow. If you already have experience doing one thing, then try something different.

My teenager has never experienced poverty. He's never seen it, either, other than on tv. A couple years ago he signed up for a local youth action group, and last year they went down south to help rebuild homes from Katrina. His world perspective changed greatly and so did his appreciate of what he has, and what others go through and what we take for granted. It really is the best education you can get, doing things like that. They are awkward and uncomfortable, and that is a good thing.

I think we have to make those connections to truly understand. I can watch videos online and on tv all day about the slums and other horrid conditions people live in around the world. But the more connections you make with people unlike yourself and your circumstances, the more you can truly understand inter-being and how very alike we all are despite our circumstances. As with all things, it is one thing to logically understand, and another thing to experience.

I tend to ramble, sorry. I think @Cinorjer‌ 's advice is excellent and good advice for everyone.

msac123CinorjerBuddhadragon
  • msac123msac123 Explorer

That is very true. Getting out there, having new perspectives, and applying Buddhism in the real world. Thank you karasti and Cinorjer. :)

Cinorjer
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

Lots of practice.

Vastmind
  • My late father-in-law used to say "Show me your friends and I'll tell you who you are". Hang around with devoted practitioners, and you become like them.

Cinorjerkarasti
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran

Practice practice practice..

CinorjerVastmindBuddhadragon
  • ZeroZero Veteran

@msac123 said:

It's challenging considering 'deepening' practice - I think this assumes that whatever you're doing is correct and you need to do more of it, somehow.
    For example, I often face questions which when answered attract 'I know that but...'
    I pause often and think that if the questioner really knew that then why ask the question? Not really listening, motive questionable.
    Similarly with the issue of deepening practice - I think again, the assumption is 'hey, I'm mindful here, so why not more and more, there and everywhere'.
    In a sense, in this example my point is that the initial mindful is not mindful, it is labelled as mindful to achieve another purpose, tranquillity, peace of mind, happiness, achievement, whatever.
    The cushion or wherever immediately applies to the entire view.
    If this does not happen then, in my opinion, it is most likely the initial step that needs to be considered.
    So how to deepen practice? Rather just practice and I think that is the start and the finish.

JeffreylobsterCinorjerkarasti
  • One of the lojong (or mind training) slogans is to abandon hope of fruition. Just cool down on the wish to leave your current experience. You can say "I am longing" "I am sitting and breathing" "I feel like something is missing".. The reason is to frame what you are going through in terms of the present.

Zero
  • I think this assumes that whatever you're doing is correct and you need to do more of it, somehow.

Well said. 'Results' such as calmness, equanimity, heightened perceptions etc are side effects not ends. However many of these qualities are needed, for example no one can still their agitation/dukkha until they develop focus. This is why formal practice, retreats, instruction are so useful.

Don't sulk Mr Cushion, I will still sit on you . . .

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

You can hardly add anything new to what had been said. But cinorjer and karasti put it so well: don't focus on yourself, move beyond your comfort zone, do a lot for others. Navel-gazing is the worst. Meditate, read, learn but most importantly, put everything you read into practice. Live happily and usefully for yourself and others.

Cinorjerlobsteranataman