Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is there someone you would die for?

BunksBunks Australia Veteran
edited April 2014 in General Banter

Is there?

My wife and I were discussing this the other night. We both agreed we would die for our children (in place of that is!) but when it came to the crunch would we? Who knows.

We thought better of asking if we would die for each other. ;)

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I feel a pretty hefty responsibility towards my kids since their father is gone, so I wouldn't at this point in life just throw myself in front of a bullet in any situation. For them, yes. For just anyone, I don't think I would. Would I, in some scenarios, be willing to give my life to save someone else other than my children? Yes. But I don't think just any person or just any situation.

Bunkswangchueyyagrpegembara
  • yagryagr Veteran

Yes. Oddly enough, I think the only person that I could say for certain that I would not voluntarily die for is my father - and I love him dearly. It is not that I believe that I would die for anyone - I really don't know...but my father is elderly and in poor health. I've watched him go to the cemetery every day for eight years to visit my step-mom and have watched him suffer inconsolably over the loss.

Perhaps it would be more correct to say that I _couldn't _ die for my father; because the act of giving my life for him would kill him once he exhausted how much suffering a human being could take.

Bunkspegembaraanataman
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

There was, once, but in the end what a waste it would have been.

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran
    edited April 2014

People sure. Family, friends, likely even strangers if the situation was just-so. More than "someone" though, "something". Causes. Movements. If the best thing we can do is make the future better through present action, and I had the opportunity to affect great (positive) change even though it would cost my life, what better bang for the buck? My life's value isn't in its continued existence, it's in what I do. It's all a verb anyway.

yagrBunkspegembara
  • yagryagr Veteran

@Bunks - I apologize if this is considered off topic for your question but I've been thinking since I answered...

If I ask myself if I would give my life for another, it really muddies the water for me. The implication, I believe, is that others are somehow separate from me. If I believe that my true nature and yours are the same once we strip away our ego-natures - I simply can't choose which of us live.

Should I let my daughter Nina die for Nina or should Nina simply allow Nina to die?

lobster
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

I might point out that there may be a difference between:
    a. I would die for someone; and
    b. I would risk my life for someone

yagr
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I don't know. Rather like the question about the tiger stalking you, it's an imponderable - until you are faced with the ponderable.

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

Definitely would die in place of my children or grandchildren. And probably would if the situation was happening and someone else, whoever, would live if I elected to die. I'm a people pleaser right to the very end. My kids would be furious.

Bunks
  • jaynejayne Explorer

I'd die for my kids, I think it's just that 'mother tiger' instinct, for someone else - I'm not sure how I would react but probably not unless it was a child

• ZeroZero Veteran
    edited April 2014

@Bunks said:
    Is there?

My wife and I were discussing this the other night. We both agreed we would die for our children (in place of that is!) but when it came to the crunch would we? Who knows.

I think it's a matter of perspective.
    We die all the time - traits die, cells die, conditions die.
    If time is all we have now then time may be in a sense our separation from conscious death - could it be said then that as we 'spend' this distance we are dying; drawing to death?
    In this sense I think devoting time to any particular endeavour is pledging to die for it in as much as it is pledging to live for it.

lobsterVastmindjayne
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Re-reading what I said last night I wanted to clarify. When I said not all people or situations, I meant, I wouldn't know until I was in that place. Not that I would be weighing whether the person was "worth" saving. The students that stood in front of their friends, the Vice Principal who jumped on the knife-wielder in PA yesterday...did any of them actually think about their actions before they decided to perform them? It seems unlikely, it's just a reaction and what your reaction is depends on the people and situation involved.

Vastmind
  • I would not die for anyone. I have read that you need to be an advanced Bodhisattva to donate your body. That's a different topic than dying for your kids.

• Honestly, no. My mother as much as I love her is on her way out probably, so that would be a waste of some years. Dad, no. Have no kids and don't intend to, er celebrities and personalities don't really concern me, so no I wouldn't die for anybody. I can't see a situation in my life where this would come into play anyway o.0

• @Bunks said:
    Is there?

I only have someone to live for. What good is a dead person?

federicavinlyn