Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

:P

So how we can't get a "frown" button. Sometimes the thing said on here are a little appalling and offensive. I would love to hit that sucker and wish it would display the dislikes, disdain, hate, and most of all a "meh" face.

vinlyn

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    edited June 2014

try :p .

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    edited June 2014

oops, more like :shake:
    put a space then a period after it, and:
    :shake: .

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited June 2014

They have a pretty cool emoticon collection here. Did you see the little smiley symbol in the top right of your posting window? Click on that to get the full selection.

Some of my faves:

:hrm:
    :sawed: .

:p
    :eek:
    :rant: .

• ZeroZero Veteran
    edited June 2014

@xwatasha said:
    So how we can't get a "frown" button. Sometimes the thing said on here are a little appalling and offensive. I would love to hit that sucker and wish it would display the dislikes, disdain, hate, and most of all a "meh" face.

I guess here reflects life and our own positions in that - sometimes there is friction, not everyone sees eye to eye etc.
    What merit do you think there is in simply labelling something 'dislike or disdain' or in propagating 'hate' or wishing to express despondency? These in my mind are not traits that lead to anything constructive but rather are indicative / akin to being somewhat stuck in a rut and frustrated to boot.

I think if one feels that a valuable contribution is possible then approach that honestly and openly in the spirit of service. If there is nothing but a bare label of a rebuke then look to oneself for the corresponding conflict. If offence is taken and if that is a deliberate or say recurring issue then flag for moderators to consider and be grateful that someone has devoted their time to trying to maintain an environment conducive to community harmony.

CittaVastmind7788lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2014

@xwatasha said:

>

MODERATION COMMENT:

First of all, we are experiencing serious technical problems with being able to post 'emoticons' without extra effort of spaces, periods, etc.

Secondly, we rarely show displeasure here, in that way. It is certain, yes, that occasionally people become a bit argumentative, or that discussions become heated; but generally speaking, the mood is good, "playful" and considerate.
    The fact that this is a Buddhist forum, is immaterial: The same 'rules of engagement' apply here, as they would on any other forum. Courtesy, consideration, politeness, and thought, before clicking on the 'post comment' button.

Thirdly, if something is continually offensive, the best way, as @Zero kindly pointed out, is to make no comment, no response, no mention of it in the thread; ignore the remark, BUT: Use the 'flag' button down on the left to advise Moderators of your disquiet.
    we always consider complaints, and take them very seriously; but we can do nothing, if people proceed to engage in an argument over the contents of the flagged post; the thread often moves too far on to be able to administer moderation successfully.
    There have been occasions where someone has lodged a complaint, and we have permitted the comment to remain. This is for one of two reasons:
    the first is as I have detailed above. people have blown the post up into an argument, and cutting, moderating and editing the thread is almost impossible.
    The second reason, is that in our opinion, the post is insufficiently notable to merit moderation. Either the 'offending member' has a strong feeling about a topic and they have made their opinions clear, if a little emphatically, or the person flagging the post may have been a little 'over-sensitive'....

Hope the above helps.

lobster
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I think that most of the time, most people here are being sincere, they just have different perceptions of things (or sometimes misunderstand the poster/post) based on their experiences, culture, and so on. There are people here from all around the world, including the US, Canada, Asia, Europe, Australia, Africa, and I'm sure elsewhere as well. So we all see and understand certain topics very differently based on our culture and exposure, and so on. There are times that people do indeed purposely say things that are inflammatory in an effort to gain a response, but that's pretty uncommon (from my point of view anyhow).

lobster
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator

This is why: http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/comment/396892/#Comment_396892

Reactions are for surfacing & rewarding good content, not as a communication substitute. Negative reactions are awful and useless.

howlobster
  • lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran

What @karasti‌ said is worth considering. It goes further, people are influenced by periods, moon phases, external events, degree of awareness, age, experience, education, communication skills, emotional state, amount of chocolate consumed, level of sensitivity, tolerance, caffeine top up state, discernment, skill set . . .

OK that is enough to be going on with .:coffee: .

vinlyn
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

In this written format, even though the content may appear heated and argumentative, it is often nothing more than expressive difference of opinion. I have had plenty (but I always wear a smile and hope the person whose opinion differs is doing so too ... lol ....

It's about cultivation of right thought and speech, and the wisdom to see what underlies the comment. Not always easy mind you ... :-/ ...

Shoshinhow