Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What are your thoughts on...

PremaSagarPremaSagar Veteran
edited June 2014 in General Banter

Hi everybody !

:wave:

What are your thoughts on problems with government and how those problems can be solved ?

Comments

• PremaSagarPremaSagar Veteran
    edited June 2014

@vinlyn said:
    You have a great sense of humor!

I know it's a childish and under-thought idea which would never actually work but I thought I'd present it anyway. Yeah maybe that wasn't such a good idea...
    :o

But with that aside I'd like to hear other ideas.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited June 2014

They can't. Individual problems can be solved. But there will always be more.

EarthninjaPremaSagar
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

I agree with @Citta‌, I think we should all stop trying to change the world. Change ourselves and the problem will solve itself out :)

BuddhadragonZenshinChazWanMin
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

The problem with governments are that they generally consist of broadly 3 types of people. The first are the do-gooders who think the world is broke and want to fix it, the second are those lining their own pockets, and the third are those who want to control it - those are big problems for the individuals concerned, and keep the wheel turning.

Perhaps Cameron, Bush, Blair, Putin etc. should enrol onto NB, and @federica can offer some of her direct, no-nonsense advice.

mmoBunksZenshin
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

In the USA, make Supreme Court justices liable to removal from office. I certainly impeach the majority. That would be a start.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@Earthninja said:
    I agree with Citta‌, I think we should all stop trying to change the world. Change ourselves and the problem will solve itself out :)

Add me to the list. I limit change to the scope of my influence and don't sweat over what does not depend on me to change.

@anataman said:
    Perhaps Cameron, Bush, Blair, Putin etc. should enrol onto NB, and federica can offer some of her direct, no-nonsense advice.

And also some of her rap in the knuckles ..
    :grumble: ..

Earthninjaanataman
  • ZetsuZetsu Explorer

Well here in the United States our problem is our leaders buy their way in. A lot of them have some VERY shady backgrounds. Honestely one of the biggest problems is that our leaders want us to cut back but honestly our leaders themselves make sure that they are pampered to death at the taxpayers expense. This I think just about kills me and I am not even old enough to pay taxes and yet I get it! Like "Obama Care" its one of the ideas that is going to crush a lot of people that are already at the end of their rope. I don't live in a home that has a lot of money but we get by. I was looking at what Obama Care would do to our budget and I just about cried at both how ignorant and funny people think that we can make it by. They think that we can pull more and more money of us but sadly we don't have any to spare. It honestly reminds me a bit of the times when King George The III and how he taxed everyone to death.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

@zetsu -- Well, you certainly seem to have a problem worth working on.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@Zetsu said:
    Well here in the United States our problem is our leaders buy their way in. A lot of them have some VERY shady backgrounds. Honestely one of the biggest problems is that our leaders want us to cut back but honestly our leaders themselves make sure that they are pampered to death at the taxpayers expense. This I think just about kills me and I am not even old enough to pay taxes and yet I get it! Like "Obama Care" its one of the ideas that is going to crush a lot of people that are already at the end of their rope. I don't live in a home that has a lot of money but we get by. I was looking at what Obama Care would do to our budget and I just about cried at both how ignorant and funny people think that we can make it by. They think that we can pull more and more money of us but sadly we don't have any to spare. It honestly reminds me a bit of the times when King George The III and how he taxed everyone to death.

You'll be a lot sicker when you have to have kidney surgery without insurance and it costs you $40,000.

JeffreyTosh
  • ZetsuZetsu Explorer

@vinlyn True, but my point is that people who are low income cannot afford to support others and yet the government forces us to. It honestly is completely unfair to those who just simply cannot afford it.

WanMin
  • ZetsuZetsu Explorer

@genkaku‌ Indeed

• ToshTosh Veteran

@Zetsu said:
    vinlyn True, but my point is that people who are low income cannot afford to support others and yet the government forces us to. It honestly is completely unfair to those who just simply cannot afford it.

In the UK we have a national health service that's funded on our ability to pay. The less we earn, the less we pay. It's definitely not a perfect system though.

Zetsu
  • edited June 2014

Hi PremaSagar, not MY thoughts, but relevant and of interest..

"How are we going to stop using hierachical violence to slowly destroy our world, our economy and our selves, and start building peaceful and voluntary solutions to complex social problems? The answer is easy!? Every moral evolution in history has been preceded by incomprehension and followed by incomprehension!"

PremaSagar
  • ZetsuZetsu Explorer

@Tosh said:
    In the UK we have a national health service that's funded on our ability to pay. The less we earn, the less we pay. It's definitely not a perfect system though.

That actually makes sense but I can see the quarks.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited June 2014

If we capped sports and other entertainment saleries (this includes politicians) we could eliminate hunger, have universal healthcare and free schooling the world over.

Us and them, Boss... Us and them.

• edited June 2014

^ @ourself
    Perhaps you have been paying attention to the words of economist Thomas Piketty!? He would argue that great disparities in equality happen when returns persistently outstrip economic growth. I am to understand this situation is not self correcting (IE trickle down economics is not a reality). One other proposition in addition to what you mentioned is a global tax on the richest.

From my limited understanding :o hoarding cash is obviously going to stop people from trading and lead to such things as quantitative easing from central banking thus devaluing the currency?!

• CittaCitta Veteran

If my grandmother had been born with wheels we could have used her as a wheelbarrow.

• GraymanGrayman Veteran

@Citta said:
    They can't. Individual problems can be solved. But there will always be more.

It is not so different with government just more difficult. Just because it is very difficult and, will never be ideal, does that mean we should never try? Cannot trying help resolve some issues? How can we even make a dent in the smallest of things if we do not even consider the posibility? Are the small things worth much in themselves? A starving child, a person who is innocent going to jail for life, or a politician who useses the system to give himself wealth at the cost of families looking for work.

These may not be world changing but resolving these are still priceless in value to me.

vinlyn
  • CittaCitta Veteran

No, it does not mean we should not try.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited June 2014

@ownerof1000oddsocks said:
    ^ ourself
    Perhaps you have been paying attention to the words of economist Thomas Piketty!? He would argue that great disparities in equality happen when returns persistently outstrip economic growth. I am to understand this situation is not self correcting (IE trickle down economics is not a reality). One other proposition in addition to what you mentioned is a global tax on the richest.

Well, yes a cap is a cap... I'd put a maximum salary per year and fill the pool with the rest. If there is no top line, there can be no bottom line which means there will be excess for some while others starve. Everybody is good at something we can all benefit from, therefore we are robbing ourselves but too greedy to know it. Education should be a basic human right along with shelter and food.

Also this business about pretending we have all different kinds of currencies for different countries is getting a bit outdated... It's all the same dollar or we wouldn't be able to convert. It's just a game to make us think we're different and give us something shiny the "other" wants to take away.

But no... These are just musings. Never heard of Thomas Piketty.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@anataman said: Perhaps Cameron, Bush, Blair, Putin etc. should enrol onto NB, and federica can offer some of her direct, no-nonsense advice.

>

All well and good, but first I have to get you lot to consistently toe the line. I see myself having little effect on the Middle East crisis, the Ukraine issue and any other political hot potato you'd care to mention, if I can't even get you lot to behave yourselves while I'm gone for a few days....

lobsteranataman
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited July 2014

No, but you are hugely influential here @federica, you are like a deva - the devil and the divine, but not in that order, and somewhere in the middle.

Go on 'grin' and 'bear' it. ... \ lol / ...

• WanMinWanMin Veteran
    edited July 2014

@ourself said:
    If we capped sports and other entertainment saleries (this includes politicians) we could eliminate hunger, have universal healthcare and free schooling the world over.

Us and them, Boss... Us and them.

From what I understand a large portion of US budget goes to military defense?

• WanMinWanMin Veteran

To be honest I agree that the best way to improve government and society is by improving ourseleves.

lobster
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

@WanMin said:
    To be honest I agree that the best way to improve government and society is by improving ourseleves.

I agree. But then, one of the ways of improving ourselves is improving the material conditions of life that affect us and the kind of people we are. It's a 2-way street, in my opinion.

lobster
  • WanMinWanMin Veteran

@Jason said:
    I agree. But then, one of the ways of improving ourselves is improving the material conditions of life that affect us and the kind of people we are. It's a 2-way street, in my opinion.

Agreed.

• DakiniDakini Veteran

@Nirvana said:
    In the USA, make Supreme Court justices liable to removal from office. I certainly impeach the majority. That would be a start.

That wouldn't work. The Court would swing right and left even more than it already does. The idea with lifetime appointments is to provide some consistency.

• The problem is greed and the solution is the cessation of greed.
    I believe that by being patient, kind and generous to others, they will be inspired to be the same.
    One can only hope, that with time, the world will be a better place for more people and some day a good place for all.

lobster
  • WanMinWanMin Veteran

@Ficus_religiosa, sorry though this is a Buddhist forum your words remind me of Mencius:

The king said, 'Venerable sir, since you have not counted it far to come here, a distance of a thousand lî, may I presume that you are provided with counsels to profit my kingdom?'

1. Mencius replied, 'Why must your Majesty use that word "profit?" What I am provided with, are counsels to benevolence and righteousness, and these are my only topics.

2. 'If your Majesty say, "What is to be done to profit my kingdom?" the great officers will say, "What is to be done to profit our families?" and the inferior officers and the common people will say, "What is to be done to profit our persons?" Superiors and inferiors will try to snatch this profit the one from the other, and the kingdom will be endangered. In the kingdom of ten thousand chariots, the murderer of his sovereign shall be the chief of a family of a thousand chariots. In the kingdom of a thousand chariots, the murderer of his prince shall be the chief of a family of a hundred chariots. To have a thousand in ten thousand, and a hundred in a thousand, cannot be said not to be a large allotment, but if righteousness be put last, and profit be put first, they will not be satisfied without snatching all.nothingistic.org/library/mencius/mencius01.html