Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Life lessons

2»

Comments

• @lobster said:

What is life teaching you?

All comes and goes...

lobster
  • SarahTSarahT Time ... space ... joy South Coast, UK Veteran

@federica said:
    Aren't we all.....?

Isn't it wonderful - that there is something we all have in common! Goes along with the "not one" but "not two" discussion :)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

... :D ...

• EugeneEugene Explorer

Learned that obsessive thinking, particular of the negative variety, is a real trap; but learned there may be a way out.

Jeffrey
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited July 2014

In answer to the OP:

Life is completely meaningless, and in that way is spontaneously perfected; but I give it meaning; and it means something to me.

Metta

Cinorjer
  • Woah93Woah93 Veteran

My recent lesson is that thinking outside the box isn't enough. You gotta get rid of the box :) I noticed the desire to fit into the puzzle and fit in and that was and still is causing a lot of inner conflict which manifests in social anxiety and the like. Yes I include religion there as well.

IME following life teachings by a single book or person felt rather imprisoning, I'm way too inquisitive for that to work, so I started looking everywhere for knowledge and mixed and matched my own little personal "religion" which I tweak and adjust every couple of weeks really lol :)

Having said that, what I love about Buddhism is the fact that you can actually apply it in your life and see results. I'm not an expert on the matter but reading about it always brings on the "aha" moments.

Cinorjer
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

@lobster said:
    Thanks guys,

Unique or at core, in essence, in Buddha Nature the same?

We do cling to the particular karma that has given us a unique arising . . .

(snip)
    :wave: .

I'd like to wipe mine off, please.

Cinorjer
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@lobster said:
    Strangely enough when our life experiences are processed or assessed in the right way, we begin to make sense of 'life, the universe and everything'.

Thanks guys :)

As we all know, all of us are independent enough of others thinking to evaluate and find the meta message, underlying assumptions, unconscious impediments etc. Easy to understand others?

So where does the position of ignorance and dukkha arise? Perhaps the right way is evaluating our processing and assesment with the discernment and insight we reserve for others . . . ?

Is our thinking so lax our brains fall out, so tight our dogma is constricting us, so fair we can not be critical, so perfect we say nothing?

. . . and now back to the sensible. . . :wave: .

Jeffrey
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

"do not believe in styles; styles separate man." - bruce lee

• mmommo Veteran

• @lobster said:
    where does the position of ignorance and dukkha arise?

at the perception

as soon as we take the perception as 'real' dukka starts to arise

• edited August 2014

Life has taught me to have no expectations. None. It really IS easier that way. ;)

However, I will admit that while I am mostly successful applying my own advice, it's not always easy or applied. :rolleyes:

Jeffreyrohitupekka
  • rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran

I learned the benefits of being stone heart and truthfulness.
    Compassion does not deserve all, sometimes it's better to be stone heart and not caring undeserving at all.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

No, it's never better. You are mistaken.

lobsterSarahT

@federica said:
    No, it's never better. You are mistaken.

I really don't know what it would have effect for long term but it feels right to me. may be I'm diverting from Buddhism in this case particularly and proved to be more cruel than ignorant although i am agree with panchashilas of Buddha.

• bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

life is teaching me that there is a way out.

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited August 2014

@rohit said:
    I learned the benefits of being stone heart and truthfulness.
    Compassion does not deserve all, sometimes it's better to be stone heart and not caring undeserving at all.

everybody deserves compassion

in any incident one (victim) is suffering and other one is creating his suffering

if one who sees the incident have the stone heart he also suffering at the moment and will suffer later when he remember the incident

this is the Truth

even if one can not help any party involve in the incident one could help oneself if one has the compassion with seeing the true Truth

• And he said, "Sometimes it is not right or wrong. It just IS."

Even the ignorant carnivores have dharma for us ;)

If it just is and we crave and attach to a preference, we sure do suffer as you mention. The perfect Buddhist is flawed. They are compassionate, allowing samsara and the dream world to co-exist. By being at peace with our dukkha, by being at peace with samsara, Nirvana begins to manifest . . .

We haz plan. Nirvana here we come . . . :wave: .

bookwormSarahT
  • To slow down,speak little and pay attention.

Shoshinupekka

@upekka said:

Thanks for reply.
    But now i am being confirmed about that Buddhism is more suitable to the monks.
    In Sansara there is lot importance to the time. We just can't waste time to people who are frustrating and take advantage of our compassion.

Although i agree that aggression and showing it harm oneself only.So better way is to avoid people who does not deserve.

lobster

Who are you to judge who deserves and who doesn't? How do you know? That's not avoidance, that's prejudice.

SarahTupekka
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

We are born to go.

Life has taught me three parts to the Golden Rule. Have fun, help others and let no harm come to myself or others.

lobsterSarahTJeffreyupekka
  • ^^^ helping others is fun.

Thanks guys,

Buddhists having fun . . . tsk tsk, all that dukkha and Buddhists having fun . . . well I never . . . hope it is fun without attachments . . . ;)

Keep up the good work.

rohitupekkaSarahTDavid
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited August 2014

Found the right path again!

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    edited August 2014

@lobster said:
    What is life teaching you?

To always look at life with the eyes of a pupil...

edited August 2014

But you look at life WITH your pupils, so you're obviously doing something right! (Wonder why one word can mean two completely different things....? Am going to investigate!)

Edit: Wow, it's complicated: We have to consider old French and Greek... in a nutshell, the french word originally meant orphan child, (there are masculine/feminine versions) and those who needed close guardianship, or being looked after....it's where we also get the expression of a child being the apple of someone's eye... the ancient Greek word for a small child (one reflected in the curved surface of an eyeball) is the same word they use for pupil, too....

I consider curiosity to be a real bonus when seeking and experiencing Life lessons.... I hope to never stop being curious!

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pupil

BuddhadragonDavid
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    edited August 2014

@rohit said:
    Although i agree that aggression and showing it harm oneself only.So better way is to avoid people who does not deserve.

Some people are dangerous and have the intent to exploit people who get close enough. They are quite rare . . . but if you have been victimized by a person like that your innocence is gone for a while. It might even seem that there are bad people everywhere you look, but that is not the case at all. It's a delusion from being victimized, all it takes is once.

In the meantime you WILL understand how even truly dangerous people 'deserve' compassion. Being victimized by one (and not everyone has been) gives you a special side class to the life long learning of compassion.

Avoid the persons who do not 'deserve' and focus on your own practice. It will show you how to have compassion for such persons in time.

I think your use of the word 'deserve' is perhaps not quite accurate in meaning, and if English is your second language, there might be a 'better' word than deserve. I get what you mean by it, though. "to deserve" is a phrase very easy to misunderstand and be misused even by first language English speakers.

lobsterrohit
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@federica said:
    I consider curiosity to be a real bonus when seeking and experiencing Life lessons.... I hope to never stop being curious!

Well, curiosity, or the condition of living in awe are at the root of how philosophy came to be. So I've been told.
    :wave: ..

federica
  • Life has taught me that there will always be ups and downs because things change but it's up to you to keep it positive. Also, a smile goes a long way. Also, Buddhism changed my life! Oh and to be my self and better my self and not care what people think. To be compassionate and more open to helping just to know I help others. :)

lobsterBuddhadragonDavid
  • @Kruise said:
    Oh and to be my self and better my self and not care what people think.

Thanks guys . . .
    You haz self? Don't tell any of them Buddhists or they might want to know what that self is . . .

Glad to hear that dharma and life lessons are working out. The two are often interdependent . . . we find what is useful and skilful and allow the rest to just rest easy . . . well that is my plan
    :wave: .

Buddhadragon