Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I .....need to get rid of I ...

In general lately , I ve felt unappreciated , I ve felt tired , I ve felt that no one ever thanks me , I ve felt no one ever says " ypu sit down I ll make you a drink , I feel I never have time for myself , I feel no one thinks about me , only about them selves .....and on and on and on .....I need to stop , I , going around and around my head ....x

Comments

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

I totally get this!

That damn 'I' is a drill sergeant, isn't it? Especially when it feels sorry for itself. It's like a petty tyrant.

Buddhadragoncarolannmmo
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@carolann said:
    In general lately , I ve felt unappreciated , I ve felt tired , I ve felt that no one ever thanks me , I ve felt no one ever says " ypu sit down I ll make you a drink , I feel I never have time for myself , I feel no one thinks about me , only about them selves .....and on and on and on .....I need to stop , I , going around and around my head ....x

Been there done that, @carolann. From my personal experience, when that happens, it's the signal to start appreciating yourself more. Take a nap or a nip, heehee...go to bed earlier and get more rest or take a walk or dance a jig or sing a song. Buy a box of calgon bath oil beads (it's cheap)!

It still happens to me, and so it's great to have a reminder of what to do...so thanks for that reminder, @carolann!

VastmindBuddhadragoncarolann
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

P.S. This is what you can do because you won't find it easy at all to change others, to our chagrin.
    <3

• Just coming in here always makes me feel so much calmer x

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Do nice things for yourself without harbouring any expectations about other people's behaviour.
    And don't take your "I" so seriously.

carolann
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

I .....need to get rid of I ...

@carolann I've been there and done that..."I" know where you're at.....

Meditate! Meditate! Meditate! First you must know the enemy so to speak,"Who am I" and one of the best ways to know is through meditation...Once 'no self' is experienced, then the ability to 'just drop it' - 'let go' becomes easier ...

silvercarolann
  • 33_333_3 Veteran
    edited December 2014

As of late when speaking and the "I" is uttered more than once I get the feeling in my gut that is uneasy and reminds me that there is no I... Being new it will take practice, but the more I divorce myself from the use the better it feels.

I'll splurge on a good reflexology massage next week.
    I remember those good cheap massages back in any old street in Singapore but never dared to afford the price here.
    Nonsense! My feet hurt badly.

That should keep my 'I' cuddly and in check for a while.
    Rhodiancarolann
  • RhodianRhodian Loser Veteran

What I want is rarely what I ever need. :(

carolannSarahT
    edited December 2014

@Rhodian said:
    What I want is rarely what I ever need.

Sheng Yen, one of my favourite Zen masters, said:
    " Our needs are few; our wants are many"
    What about turning things around and only want what we need ?

Rhodian
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

Deliberately allowing 'indulgence' . . . hey, that sounds reasonable. Mindfully 'bathe' in the experience of a hot fudge sundae, or a real tear jerker of a movie.

I thought the 'point' (if there is such a thing, but relatively speaking) was acceptance/tolerance of whatever is happening, which includes forays into weakness or sensual pleasures. There's nothing one can't do 'mindfully', and that includes indulging habits, even addictions. "UnBuddhist" behavior, as far as I know, doesn't really exist beyond a the relative.

silver
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    @carolann‌ I find concentration meditation really helps this.
    It at least calms or slows the mind down a degree. Then it's easier to watch the thoughts.

Also try to remember that the thoughts are not your own. They come and go. If they were your own you would only think lovely thoughts.

I'm trying to improve the "I" whilst trying to see through the charade. :)

Hope you are well and see through the illusion.
    carolann