Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The saga continues!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I'd love to know what the confused guy holding the flag and trying desperately to make it match the billboard, says to the little boy, who is pointing out what a plebbing doofus he is being....

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

I wonder if he is the boy's father...(sigh). If he isn't, where is the father? I was exposed to some nasty attitudes within Evangelical Christianity as a youth, but thankfully nothing as hateful and spiteful as this.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I feel bemused that this stuff is actually happening in real life, you really couldn't make it up, like a Monty Python sketch or something.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

real life....?!

LUXURY!!

(I felt it was about my turn.....)

WalkerZenshin
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

They would just disappear now that their patriarch died if the media would stop covering them. Wackos.

• KennethKenneth Veteran
    edited June 2015

It seems that so far as Westboro Baptist is concerned, God hates everyone but them. I'd kinda like to be a fly on the wall at St Peter's gate when they show up ;)

They protested the funeral of an Iraq war casualty here around 10 years ago. Hundreds turned out to peacefully counter them.

Vastmind
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited June 2015

What can I say...The WBC are nutjobs ( I mean no disrespect...just stating the obvious)....Most people have no interest in 'WBC' version of hell ....It's their hell, let them burn in it :) In fact they are already doing so....Just imagine what goes on in their warped minds, all the fear, hate and anguish, must be very unsettling...Thus I've heard... No peace for the wicked....

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    I feel bemused that this stuff is actually happening in real life, you really couldn't make it up, like a Monty Python sketch or something.

A while ago I read somewhere that you CAN'T make a parody about fundamentalism in religion. It is impossible. Think about it for a minute. Fundamentalism (of the WBC type) is indistinguishable from parody.

lobster
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

@Kenneth said:
    It seems that so far as Westboro Baptist is concerned, God hates everyone but them. I'd kinda like to be a fly on the wall at St Peter's gate when they show up ;)

Yanno . . . read up a bit on Yahweh in the Old Testament, and he was a very hating kind of god. It's the one thing WBC has gotten right.

Walker

The Old Testament God is a nasty piece of work. Not very "Christian" at all. ;)

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2015

@SpinyNorman said:
    The Old Testament God is a nasty piece of work.

You had a God that was 'a nasty piece of work?' You were lucky!

We Buddhihsts had no gods, had to wear a piece of cloth, live in the jungle and eat once day - if we were lucky! :p

JeffreyBunksWalkerZenshin
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@lobster said:
    We Buddhihsts had no gods, had to wear a piece of cloth, live in the jungle and eat once day - if we were lucky! :p

And I imagine you had to walk through 6 foot snow drifts in 20 degree below zero weather to get to the temple!

lobsterWalkerZenshin
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

you had snow? we just floated around in a vacuum.

lobsterZenshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

We used to dream of floating . . .

For our noobs

Walker

@Jeffrey said: you had snow? we just floated around in a vacuum.

We could only dream of having a vacuum... ;)

ZenshinWill_Baker

Yeah, that sucks.....

KennethZenshin

@federica said:
    Yeah, that sucks.....

Only if it came with attachments ....

Zenshin
  • Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

A small corner of New England offers its apologies for the boorish behavior of some of my countrymen...

Zenshinajhayes

Sadly, you can offer all the apologies you like (which by the way ARE gratefully accepted) however, is there nothing that can be done to limit their boorish behaviour? At all?

They're just hooligans hiding behind a religious agenda. If you look at it dispassionately, they're no better than some Islamist militants, in their hostile interpretations...

(I'd love to put those two factions in a ring without weapons, and see what happens....)

Popcorn, anyone...?

vinlynlobsterWalkerKenneth

@federica said: (I'd love to put those two factions in a ring without weapons, and see what happens....) Popcorn, anyone...?

Yeah, tag wrestling, ISIS v. Westboro Baptists. ;)

• Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

@federica said:
    Sadly, you can offer all the apologies you like (which by the way ARE gratefully accepted) however, is there nothing that can be done to limit their boorish behaviour? At all?

They're just hooligans hiding behind a religious agenda. If you look at it dispassionately, they're no better than some Islamist militants, in their hostile interpretations...

(I'd love to put those two factions in a ring without weapons, and see what happens....)

Popcorn, anyone...?

-There is nothing that I can think of that could be done about this that wouldn't violate the precepts. These folks are ignorant and fearful. They live in a wealthy country and have access to technology. They embarrass me. Please know they do not speak for New England...

• ajhayesajhayes Pema Jinpa Dorje Northern Michigan Veteran

@Will_Baker said:

I'm sure there is a subtext in the precepts about being a karmic messenger.. ;)

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.... News from downunder (It goes from the sublime to the 'religulous' ) :D
    http://www.sbs.com.au/comedy/article/2015/06/11/same-sex-couple-threaten-not-give-shit-if-other-couple-divorces

Walker

Kinda like -

"The difference between those with a tattoo, and those who don't have a tattoo, is that those who DO have a tattoo, don't give a shit about those who don't have a tattoo."