Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Not Enough Buddhist Discussions IMO

anatamananataman Who needs a title?Where am I? Veteran

I like discussing buddhist theology and philosophy, but have not felt that enough serious discussion is taking place...

Perhaps I'm GRASPING for something. Any suggestions?

David

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran

OP, you're welcome to start some topics. When the Buddhist themes start to lag, it's up to the people who prefer those sorts of discussions to give the board a boost in that direction. There tends to be an ebb and flow to that on this site.

anatamanVastmindEarthninjaStraight_Man
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

We need to ask more good questions and resist the impulse to fill the reply box with text without thinking about the question for a day or two.

anatamansilverEarthninjaillusion
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited June 2015

but @karasti I have discussed other more pertinent things relating to buddhism in the past, and have become distracted by the general banter. Hence the post. Or you are not getting the thrust of this particular thread.

illusion

So any topics that might be thoughtfully discussed?

Fortfully, or foughtfully!

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Aren't there plenty of other Buddhist type forums to carry on the deeper scholarly type discussions of any import, and what are the other forums' shortcomings, then?

VastmindKundo
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

Hahah love you guys. :awesome:

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@sova said:
    We need to ask more good questions and resist the impulse to fill the reply box with text without thinking about the question for a day or two.

Sadly, I am of the opinion, that people don't even bother yhinking about the question for a day or two... I'm convinced thet log on, grow weary of the discussions they've been having for the past 'day or tow' and then sit and think for a second.... and then we get...

"My dog is Buddhist!"

or

"Does my diet mean I'm not Buddhist"

or

"There's a mark on my mirror I can't get rid of - does this mean my Self is also blemished"....?

That said, I can kinda see @anataman's post...

The main subjects posted of late, which have attracted a lot of interest have been from a member who really hasn't written anything directly connected with the study or practice of Buddhism... (My duty is also to recollect that this member had a bit of a run-in with Linc before, about his attitude and manner....)

About the Universe before God farted, some poor little spoiled rich kid, working out, and astrological pseudo-scientific bumph...

All of which I have duly 'sunk'...

lobsterBuddhadragonanataman
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@federica said:"My dog is Buddhist!"

So should I get Buddhist rabbits? And will they be vegetarian and not addicted to sex?
    ;)

lobsterJeffreyKundo
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Abandon the latest raft, women and cructaceans first

[ahem] Is that the far shore before us ... ?

Land ahoy!

Beej
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@SpinyNorman said:So should I get Buddhist rabbits? And will they be vegetarian and not addicted to sex?

Budds Bunny.... Has a ring to it....

Vegetarian, yes.
    Not addicted to sex?

If we can't even get humans to quit doing it, I see little hope here....

• rootsroots Veteran

I saw a doc about a branch of Tibetan Buddhism that encourages its young monks to discuss and vigorously debate the teachings for hours on end every day.

I'm almost prone to think that intellectualism is something lost in some western interpretations of Buddhism. Maybe we stick to the ideas of mindfulness and compassion as a simplified process, less about comprehension and more about letting go, quieting the mind chatter, releasing the need for absolutes and embracing the natural beauty of existence.

And the thought of carnivorous Buddhist rabbits terrifies me, so I sure hope they'd be vegetarians.

illusion
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Dakini said:> OP, you're welcome to start some topics. When the Buddhist themes start to lag, it's up to the people who prefer those sorts of discussions to give the board a boost in that direction. There tends to be an ebb and flow to that on this site.

That's right. And you don't have to post on threads that don't interest you.

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    That's right. And you don't have to post on threads that don't interest you.

Gosh ... who would have thought ;)@SpineyNorman strikes again. Bravo! <3

• @anataman said:
    I like discussing buddhist theology and philosophy, but have not felt that enough serious discussion is taking place...

I don't think there is that much to be talked about. I think discussion should serve no other purpose than to gain understanding, and once that understanding is gained then Buddhism is about practicing it and developing it, neither of which requires Buddhism being discussed, but rather can be done in every moment of our lives. So, my suggestion would probably be, if you're not finding anything interesting to talk about, just focus on your practice as you interact with people here. That to me is the purpose of Buddhism, the talking part sometimes seems a little unnecessary and for the sake of it.

Beej
  • @federica said:

Ha! I was reading this thinking 'oh who's this?' before quickly realising 'oh it's me'. :)

Shoshinsilver
    edited June 2015

@mindatrisk said:
    I don't think there is that much to be talked about.

Well, as Buddhism has existed for nearly 3000 years in various traditions and guises, I think that's an inaccurate observation.

I think discussion should serve no other purpose than to gain understanding, and once that understanding is gained

Who are you to presume everyone has 'gained it' simultaneously? What if some have gained it, and others haven't? Those who haven't should say no more...? Right....

then Buddhism is about practicing it and developing it,

Ye-e-e-e-s.....

neither of which requires Buddhism being discussed, but rather can be done in every moment of our lives.

But...but....people discuss HOW they do that, and what practice to follow....

So, my suggestion would probably be, if you're not finding anything interesting to talk about, just focus on your practice as you interact with people here. That to me is the purpose of Buddhism, the talking part sometimes seems a little unnecessary and for the sake of it.

Yes but this is a Buddhist discussion forum.
    It's for discussing Buddhism.
    You know - as in talking about because it's the topic of the forum...?
    You're the square peg in the round hole, not us.... ;)

• @federica said:

How come sometimes I click 'Quote' and it doesn't quote anything?

This is a discussion forum, and a really good one, my point was only that if anataman wasn't finding anything of interest to discuss at a particular point then continue to engage here as a way of practicing. I do think that sometimes the discussion is for the sake of it, and I think in the past you've (rightly) accused me of doing that too.

Beej

I think in part, his complaint is justified, and said as much.
    Your current discussion is a continuation of past behaviour.

Consider changing tack. ;)

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@federica;

Re: the monkey mind thread... That is a Buddhist topic which was sunk for no reason.

My post was just an example of monkey mind and nothing else.

We have threads where you guys start talking about completely random nonsense which ruins the flow but a thread dealing with monkey mind can't get over a dozen opinions.

Just an observation.

illusion
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Must've been @Federica's monkey mind in overdrive (J/K feddie) :awesome:

sovaKundo

@ourself said:
    federica;

Re: the monkey mind thread... That is a Buddhist topic which was sunk for no reason.

My post was just an example of monkey mind and nothing else.

We have threads where you guys start talking about completely random nonsense which ruins the flow but a thread dealing with monkey mind can't get over a dozen opinions.

Just an observation.

I didn't sink it, I closed it.
    I closed it because the question had been answered.
    If the OP wants it re-opened, I would be extremely happy to re-open it, but I figure everything that would follow would be 'Papanca'.

Ans that's a whole different topic!

"You guys".....? that's like saying 'society is responsible for'.... conveniently forgetting you ARE society.

or as someone succinctly put it once
    "You're not 'stuck in' traffic - you ARE traffic....

I think you probably mean 'we guys'... or are you distancing yourself from any responsibility and absolving yourself of any involvement?

Seriously, I'm asking....

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I mean no disrespect in asking this, it is something I have frequently wondered. If topics are closed because the question is answered, how come so few topics are closed? Sometimes it looks like they are closed as a way to prevent the discussion from going in a certain direction (which may be exactly what is needed),but some discussions go on forever and ever, despite having dozens of the exact same posts already here and still open. obviously, a question from 6 months ago was answered or discussed to it's end, yet it remains open when only a handful of other are closed. It seems odd to me.

illusion
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited June 2015

@federica said:
    Seriously, I'm asking....

I pretty much stick to the topic at hand out of respect for the original poster even if I throw in a joke or two.

I only bring it up because you completely misunderstood my post, chastised me about it and closed the thread.

After you closed it, someone else decided the question was not answered to the same degree you did and had the power to add comment.

This thread was a convenient means to bring it up is all.

Just sayin

• lobsterlobster Veteran

thanks @silver, that hat looks ideal, been looking for something stylish :glasses:

silverWalker
    edited June 2015

@karasti said:
    I mean no disrespect in asking this, it is something I have frequently wondered. If topics are closed because the question is answered, how come so few topics are closed? Sometimes it looks like they are closed as a way to prevent the discussion from going in a certain direction (which may be exactly what is needed),but some discussions go on forever and ever, despite having dozens of the exact same posts already here and still open. obviously, a question from 6 months ago was answered or discussed to it's end, yet it remains open when only a handful of other are closed. It seems odd to me.

You're right in your observations...I'm just maybe thinking of changing tack a bit, and "tidying up" the forum... I'm aware of threads going on... and on... and on... which is why I thought it pertinent to close it.

Normally, for Moderation purposes, I will leave a closing comment as to the specific reason for closing the discussion.
    In this case, as it looked as if the topic had been addressed, I just closed it.

Please note, I never have, and never will close a thread purely and simply because I don't like it, or want to have the last word.

That's not how I operate, and I'm not about to start now.

if any OP wants or needs their thread re-opening I am always happy to oblige (within reason; depending on the nature of the closure, naturally....)

@ourself said:.....I only bring it up because you completely misunderstood my post, chastised me about it and closed the thread.

I didn't really chastise you... I merely responded to each of your points.... I'm sorry you took that as a 'stern word'...

After you closed it, someone else decided the question was not answered to the same degree you did and had the power to add comment.

Yes, you're right, I think it was @Jason but I'm almost 100% certain he didn't realise the thread had been closed already.
    In fact, the sutta reference he gives is the same as the one @SpinyNorman gave, so it's evident he didn't actually address the individual posts, or he would have realised that link had already been given... I'm sure had he realised either fact, he might not even have posted. :)

This thread was a convenient means to bring it up is all.
    Just sayin

Thank you for 'just sayin'. :)

lobsterDavid

So, I'm really grateful and thankful for all the comments above (on and off topic), so in return now comes the contemplation and reflection, back to you!

Many have pointed out, my and others, foibles and faults - well done, (especially to those who were particularly humorous) as any other who identifies me or others justifies themselves in a certain way, but I am a human being, stuck in the centre of my universe, and I know I respect your view(s), and expect you respect mine (as you do), they are just as valid as mine, and it would be rather ignorant and stupid for me to react in a way, which would upset your view. Unless you want me to challenge it, in which case I can and will and DO.

I actually became disillusioned for a significant period of time, but can safely say, it's come full circle and I'm in a position to properly discuss it all again (with a certain experience and perspective):

Namaste

So I am going to post something that is not banter, but hopefully reflective in a buddhist way, perhaps you have a MONKey mind - cool, and funniness abounds, but I will settle for a serious and reflective discussion, to balance it (or am I just an elephant in the room),... well let's permit recollection of our views and discuss this thing when I post it, if you want to...

Cushion, cools,
    so I'm gonna let some steam off on it!

Phew, hopefully you missed dee p'un!

...\lol/...

edited June 2015

@federica;

Thanks for clarifying, I appreciate it.

I try to never take anything personally but we all have our days.

anatamanlobster

Now I have realised the power of the internet - it's jerky!

Best not to respond too quickly....

lobstersilver
    edited June 2015

@anataman said:
    So, I'm really grateful and thankful for all the comments above (on and off topic), so in return now comes the contemplation and reflection, back to you!

Many have pointed out, my and others, foibles and faults - well done, (especially to those who were particularly humorous) as any other who identifies me or others justifies themselves in a certain way, but I am a human being, stuck in the centre of my universe, and I know I respect your view(s), and expect you respect mine (as you do), they are just as valid as mine, and it would be rather ignorant and stupid for me to react in a way, which would upset your view. Unless you want me to challenge it, in which case I can and will and DO.

I actually became disillusioned for a significant period of time, but can safely say, it's come full circle and I'm in a position to properly discuss it all again (with a certain experience and perspective):

Namaste

So I am going to post something that is not banter, but hopefully reflective in a buddhist way, perhaps you have a MONKey mind - cool, and funniness abounds, but I will settle for a serious and reflective discussion, to balance it (or am I just an elephant in the room),... well let's permit recollection of our views and discuss this thing when I post it, if you want to...

Cushion, cools,
    so I'm gonna let some steam off on it!

Phew, hopefully you missed dee p'un!

What pun?! :confounded:

j/k

Uhm...where can I go to get my dharma wheel fixed? :angry:

• illusionillusion Explorer

@karasti said:
    So, the problem is you don't approve of how others choose to respond to posts?

feel the love?

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Something beyond your grasp. Within your grasp was the capacity for meaningful intelligence and useful dialogue.

I have no idea if your ban is permenant but IMHO it is well overdue and you would do well to reflect on why it happened. As a surgeon you are not a stupid or ignorant person and your postings were often well intentioned but IMO beyond your skillful capacity. Something I mentioned and suggested several times and you never heeded.

The moderators have been very tolerant and patient with you and no doubt you have overstepped the boundaries AGAIN to no useful effect. You had much to offer but did not find that sufficient. Sad :(

Fare thee Well.

karasti
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Take care @anataman ....when I'm next in wonderland I'll look you up :)

Road to nowhere ....we'll take that ride....

edited June 2015

I'll close this now, and will be grateful for all abstention from further comment.

Thanks to all.

This discussion has been closed.