Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The five precepts - How strict?

13»

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@0student0 said:
    SpinyNorman , how and federica

But I don't need to keep those rules in my head. If I broke any of them, I'd see what it does and I wouldn't do it again. I think learning by experience makes much more sense than keeping a list in my head.

A list?

5 Precepts you can't keep in your head?

0student0Steve_B
  • Alright, I get it. I guess I'm too used to 'listen and obey' education that I'm allergic to anything looking like imposed rules.

silver
  • ^^^ the precepts are kind of training suggestion, developing possibilities if you will ...

For example not taking life can also mean, not taking away/killing peoples joy, dharma beginnings.

Very absolutist and dogmatic Buddhists very often kill a nascent interest in dharma by projecting precepts as rigid rules.

They are in effect stealing peoples limited but good intentions and potential ...

No rigid rules in my heretical Dharma - just developing useful positive skills ... :)

0student0rohit
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@0student0 said:
    Alright, I get it. I guess I'm too used to 'listen and obey' education that I'm allergic to anything looking like imposed rules.

Resistance to what may be good for you, could actually be self-destructive.
    This is why personal discernment is so important.

If a doctor tells you that you MUST rest your leg, because if you don't it won't set properly, that's a 'rule'.
    It's a sound rule.
    It's a rule imposed for your benefit and well-being.
    You may not like it; you may want to just ignore the Doctor's advice, because, hey, one little moment of doing what you want, can't do any harm, can it...?

Oh yes, it can.

In the same way, you can take the 5 precepts or tyou can leave them.
    your choice.

but the consequences are for you to hobble on... ;)

lobster0student0
  • compassionate action is the ideal and I see the precepts as not so much as rules but filters... do you want to behave in compassion then run you impulse through these filters...

silver
  • I will add this... I have read that the original meaning of dukha, pre pali, is not suffering but a wheel with off center axial hole... thus your cart has a bumpy ride regardless of how you move...
    the opposite was a well oiled axial so your cart can travel the distance quickly... forgotten the word...

but the distance must be traveled... ie the life lived and living a life by constant rules would be dukha.. unless ones life was aligned with these precepts... the point is training brings about change in behavior and change in behavior brings about less resistance, the wheel is becomes well oiled....

lobstersilver
  • rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran

@seeker242 said:
    What tradition say not to drink coffee? Never heard of that!

Monks are not allowed to eat seeds and fruits which can not be eaten without removing seeds.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited August 2015

@rohit says
    Monks are not allowed to eat seeds and fruits which can not be eaten without removing seeds.

Actually that particular rule only applies to fruit that contains** fertile** seeds, which obviously does not apply to either coffee or the prepared coffee bean.

rohit
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited August 2015

@rohit said:

I would say that depends on what tradition the monk is ordained in. Different traditions have different rules. Monks at my temples eat seeds.

rohit
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

@lobster said:
    Persecute! Kill the heretic!

But sunflower seeds are very nutritious! And they're very healthy! :)

lobster
  • @Jeffrey said:
    Did the Buddha state what the purpose of the five precepts is?

I believe their stated purpose is to guard against unwholesome Thinking, Action and Speech. Sila, once established, cultivates a certain guilt-free peace of mind which enhances your other practice, allowing it to grow and flourish.

JeffreyEarthninja