Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

how to simplify buddhism for beginners and advance participants

2»

Comments

• CarlitaCarlita Bastian please! Save us! United States Veteran

Was thinking. Anyone can do breathing meditation and practice mindfulness. A step further is actively observing And seeing everyday occurances and experiences as a resukt of one's own karma. Then, for every action worth looking into try finding patterns that may have lead to that result. The Buddha I read earlier answers a king who said since we are subject to aging and death why and how donwe practice The Dhamma. The Buddha says simply act with wholesome merit and virtuous deeds. Instead of just focusing on theology, reading the suttas to apply vertureous deeds is a plus.

paulyso
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Carlita said:
    Was thinking. Anyone can do breathing meditation and practice mindfulness. A step further is actively observing And seeing everyday occurances and experiences as a result of one's own karma.

Isn't that an aspect of mindfulness? Noticing cause and effect, how things arise?

Carlita
  • @SpinyNorman said:

@Carlita said:
    Was thinking. Anyone can do breathing meditation and practice mindfulness. A step further is actively observing And seeing everyday occurances and experiences as a result of one's own karma.

Isn't that an aspect of mindfulness? Noticing cause and effect, how things arise?

@Carlita can answer for herself, but I'm going to butt in anyway. :p Breathing meditation is mindfulness of breathing, i.e., keeping the breath in mind. In addition to cause and effect, I'd say yet another aspect would be noticing the conditions supporting things, e.g., mindfulness of breathing is conditioned on a living body, which is conditioned on oxygen, which is conditioned on the environment, etc., all things subject to change. Thinking back, though, that might have been a little uncomfortable as a beginner.

Carlita
  • CarlitaCarlita Bastian please! Save us! United States Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:

@Carlita said:

I guess so. I seperated breathing as calming for insight. Mindfulness, awareness of what comes and goes. Insight, the subject(s) one things of and applies during meditation. So, you find yourself calm. You gather all you oberved or mindful of the day. Find what relates in The Dhamma and meditate on whatever subject(s) appropiate to improve things we may feel uncomfortable to delve into beyond breathing and awareness.

I find it useful but with most traditions that point one needs a teacher. So, it depends.

lobster
  • ToshTosh Veteran

@lobster said:

• service providers not users

Nicked; that'll be useful in 12 Step circles.

My take on Buddhism is that the 4th NT breaks down into three categories:

1. Live an ethical life.
    2. Meditate
    3. Practise compassion.

I really don't have to understand the 16 aspects of the 4 NT, or the eight forms of suffering, etc, or the Two Truths from the point of view of four different Buddhist schools. Etc.

paulysolobster