Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Keeping an eye out for other Buddhists in Western North Carolina.

Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the ZooAsheville, NC Veteran

So the downside of moving over a thousand miles from where I had lived for over a decade is that I don't know anybody. I plan on checking out the Zen Center of Asheville this evening. Does anyone here go there, or are there any other Buddhists from that area that frequent this board?

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I don’t, but I once typeset and designed a book called The Buddhist Directory, a thick tome, and it was surprising how many different centres there were dotted all over North America.

lobster
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

It's amazing how many Buddhists turn up when I stop trying to call them "Buddhists."

Rowan1980lobsterFoibleFull
  • ShakShak Veteran

Had enough of “the way life should be” here in Maine? Starting to plan my exit strategy for when the kids graduate from school.

Rowan1980
  • Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran
    edited July 2018

@Shak said:
    Had enough of “the way life should be” here in Maine? Starting to plan my exit strategy for when the kids graduate from school.

My wife had a job offer from a friend, and given how iffy the economy is in Maine, we decided to make a run for it. I work from home, so I just brought my work with me. Our cat was NOT impressed with the 1,000+ mile drive, but he did seem to enjoy the hotel we stayed in for a few days in PA.

Job didn't pan out (said friend was, shall we say, exceedingly unethical in that she never paid my wife a penny and rarely gave her time off despite my wife working almost 24/7 watching said person's kid), but we decided to stay down here since we like the area. The winters are much, much easier to handle. :pleased:

• ShakShak Veteran

That’s too bad about the “friend”, but I’m glad you guys are making it work.

Rowan1980
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Rowan1980 said:... Job didn't pan out (said friend was, shall we say, exceedingly unethical in that she never paid my wife a penny and rarely gave her time off despite my wife working almost 24/7 watching said person's kid)....

Judge Judy would have a field day.....

Rowan1980
  • Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran
    edited July 2018

@federica said:

Judge Judy would have a field day.....

I absolutely agree. I made no secret that what her "friend" did was both illegal and unethical to my wife and her local friends. A number of us were trying to get my wife to leave, but she was super focused on caring for the child. The whole thing was an utter mess, but she's at least working a job that regularly pays her and has some kind of schedule. She's also in therapy and working on the emotional "stuff" that came up from that experience. That's actually a huge deal for her, so I give her a ton of credit for turning that around.

Shoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@genkaku said:
    It's amazing how many Buddhists turn up when I stop trying to call them "Buddhists."

B)
    Wot no labeling? Buddhas everywhere? Sounds like a plan ...
    https://www.thoughtco.com/buddha-nature-doctrine-450001

• FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

Try this site. Unless you are looking for Buddhists who don't attend a dharma group.
    http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/

• Asheville is so lovely. Best wishes to you there. While you're waiting to see if you find a sangha, there is so much lovely nature to surround yourself in!

• nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

My aunt lives in Asheville. It's a beautiful area, with great landscapes and architecture. However, my aunt has been complaining lately that it's become too "touristy".

Last time I looked there was a plethora of Buddhist centers in Asheville (it's a very progressive area.) If Buddhanet can't find one to your liking, there are several listed if you Google "Buddhist sangha Asheville NC". Link here: https://www.google.com/search?q=buddhist+sangha+asheville+nc