Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Dhamma Mirror

BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Have been actively checking and monitoring behaviour against the ten unwholesome actions recently.

The pull of 3 and 7 have been fairly dominant at times.

Good to check occasionally how we stack up when looking into the Dhamma mirror.

The ten Unwholesome Actions

1. Destroying life
  2. Taking what is not given
  3. Wrong conduct in regard to sense pleasures
  4. False speech
  5. Slanderous speech
  6. Harsh speech
  7. Idle chatter
  8. Covetousness
  9. Ill will
  10. Wrong view

How's your practice going?

JeroenDavidScottPen

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Well, I have some small insects in my house, these little silverfish, very quick. Sometimes when I come down at night for a cup of tea, I find one on my kitchen counter in the area where I prepare food. It’s just too much, I squash them when I find them, they are unhygienic. I wish them well, but not on my kitchen counter.

Further, I have found that sometimes when I am under stress my mind starts behaving irrationally, Thoughts come up of ill will, self destructiveness, lashing out, things which I don’t usually experience in my waking mind. It subverts my natural talents and intelligence in a kind of internal panic, although I have enough self control not to show any of it to the outside world. It makes me wonder if my dhamma is only skin deep.

I have noticed lately that some of my speech habits can be taken as mocking, and that I can be a bit dismissive at times, when I am being interrupted in an activity.

So the rubber of the dhamma meets the road. It is not easy.

Bunkslobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Thanks for the update @Kerome - sounds pretty normal human behaviour to me :)

Important not to beat ourselves up when we don't live up to these standards. They're just there as the benchmark.

lobsterFoibleFull
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

My practice is going well:

Destroying life

Relocated two copulating snails to the fox killing fields, in order to save my pansies. Are they not life too?

Taking what is not given

Removed all biscuits and cakes from weekly shopping delivery

Wrong conduct in regard to sense pleasures

Enjoyed feeling superior by going for an early morning walk

False speech

Managed to post more details on starting a cult

Slanderous speech

Wait a minute … this is not a list of virtues?

I dun gone wrong again :3

Pants!

BunksFoibleFull

Haha @lobster - love it.

My favourite English sayings / words:

1. pants
    2. pear shaped
    3. spotted dick
    4. bog off

Oh no....idle chatter again :(

Shoshin1Jeroenlobster
  • SuraShineSuraShine South Australia Veteran
    edited June 2021

@Bunks said:
    Have been actively checking and monitoring behaviour against the ten unwholesome actions recently.

The pull of 3 and 7 have been fairly dominant at times.

Good to check occasionally how we stack up when looking into the Dhamma mirror.

1. Destroying life
    2. Taking what is not given
    3. Wrong conduct in regard to sense pleasures
    4. False speech
    5. Slanderous speech
    6. Harsh speech
    7. Idle chatter
    8. Covetousness
    9. Ill will
    10. Wrong view

Well I'm stuck in Sydney for the next two weeks (was visiting family on annual leave 🙄🙄🙄) and of course I'm in one of the 4 LGA's on strict stay at home orders. My path also crossed with Patient Zero but my and my household's Covid tests came back negative.

So preventing Numbers 5 and 9 have been getting a massive workout. Plus I've worn a hole in the floor of my bedroom here meditating LOL

FosdickShoshin1
  • Stay safe @SuraShine ...

SuraShinelobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@SuraShine said:
    So preventing Numbers 5 and 9 have been getting a massive workout. Plus I've worn a hole in the floor of my bedroom here meditating LOL

Sounds like you have been putting in the hours of practice @surashine. It’s usually during reflection that you start to encounter the benefits.

SuraShine
  • SuraShineSuraShine South Australia Veteran

@Kerome said:
    Sounds like you have been putting in the hours of practice @surashine. It’s usually during reflection that you start to encounter the benefits.

I'm really trying - plus there's not much else I can do. But I remember reading Lama Surya Das who says that by practising when things are good helps when things go bad (paraphrased by me). I think the practise is why I'm not going stir crazy at the moment.

But it's early days yet :awesome:

Bunkslobster

@SuraShine said:

@Kerome said:

I'm really trying - plus there's not much else I can do. But I remember reading Lama Surya Das who says that by practising when things are good helps when things go bad (paraphrased by me). I think the practise is why I'm not going stir crazy at the moment.

But it's early days yet :awesome:

Sorry to hear @SuraShine - stay well. Hope you can get back to SA soon.
    Travelling interstate in Australia right now is fraught with danger.

SuraShine

@wizzz said:
    I have studied Buddhism for a few decades and find that it is impossible to cover just a hundredth of one percent of knowledge. It is more important to just grab a few concepts that pertain to my life and strict to them, master them; before moving on to next ones. Just a thought.

Glad to see an Eastern Buddhist joining us here. Your perspective will be very welcome on the forum, I hope you find things that are beneficial to you.

Bunks

Welcome @wizzz - nice to meet you here.

wizzz
  • when you look into the dharma mirror and don't like what you see, remember, it is just a mirror.

Peace to All

Shoshin1Bunkslobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

practising when things are good helps when things go bad

Exactly so!
    We all wish to be more able. Right intent.
    Do dharma.
    Do good.

Be prepared.
    Buddha scout motto

Bunks