Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Not Knowing

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran

The mind seems naturally disposed to latch on to things. Whether we really know something or not, it seems to offer some comfort to the mind to say its either this or its that.

Not knowing has a long tradition in Buddhism, but its also here in the west in terms of intellectual humility. I think the way of thinking known as Bayesian reasoning fits pretty well with the tradition of "not knowing". My basic understanding is that it tells us to think of things in terms of probabilities rather than certainties. In spectrums, rather than binaries. Having seen the evidence what is more likely? Then approaching the topic with that thought in mind, so if you judge something as 60/40 that's how you hold it in your mind, rather than the 60% being right and 40% being wrong.

It probably doesn't apply to all areas of life, matters of the heart seem to me to be more all or nothing. But the bird of the spiritual life needs two wings to fly wisdom and compassion.

Comments

• pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited July 2023

What you can truly know is what is being directly experienced in the moment. One of this is the experience of uncertainty!

lobster
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

@pegembara said:
    What you can truly know is what is being directly experienced in the moment. One of this is the experience of uncertainty!

Its true. The only thing we really ever know is what its like to be us right now. Maybe we're all deceived by Laplace's demon or we're all living in a simulated Matrix.

I think I'm referring more to our approach to knowing the external world. We may be 100% deceived about the world but what is our understanding of that perceived world and how do we contextualize and hold that knowledge?

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@person said:
    Its true. The only thing we really ever know is what its like to be us right now. Maybe we're all deceived by Laplace's demon or we're all living in a simulated Matrix.

I think I'm referring more to our approach to knowing the external world. We may be 100% deceived about the world but what is our understanding of that perceived world and how do we contextualize and hold that knowledge?

I was paging through a book by Ramesh Balsekar the other day, a non-dual philosopher who holds that “consciousness is all there is”. It was an interesting concept to look at because if all is one, then where does all this definition in the real world come from? If it was really all One, would it not be more homogeneous?

That everything - from our bodies to our minds to our books to buildings to the natural world - is interrelated is clearly a fact, but there seems to be a very loose coupling between some pieces of that interrelated whole. Perhaps by observing the world around us we are also observing the mind of God.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

That's basically Spinoza's Ethics in a nutshell.

Jeroenlobster
  • Buddhism is, as is life, a process of ever growing, ever discovering, ever seeking; a process of continual change. When we stop seeking, we become complacent. When we stop discovering, we become stagnant. When we stop growing, we, like plants without water, wither away , leaving only our empty husks.
    We are but a tiny part of all that is life. As we reach out to touch the stars, we are each a boundless universe and we are the stardust within the the vast universe we are exploring upon this, our Starship Earth.
    It has often been said that all things are possible. From all the possibilities, what becomes manifest is up to each of us.
    May we manifest Peace.
    May we manifest Wisdom.
    May we manifest Mercy.
    May we manifest Compassion.
    May we manifest True Joy.
    And in all this, may we manifest our true unity with all life, with ourselves, with our Earth and all upon and within.

Peace to All

FleaMarket
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited July 2023

@Jeroen said:

@person said:

I was paging through a book by Ramesh Balsekar the other day, a non-dual philosopher who holds that “consciousness is all there is”. It was an interesting concept to look at because if all is one, then where does all this definition in the real world come from? If it was really all One, would it not be more homogeneous?

That everything - from our bodies to our minds to our books to buildings to the natural world - is interrelated is clearly a fact, but there seems to be a very loose coupling between some pieces of that interrelated whole. Perhaps by observing the world around us we are also observing the mind of God.

Not sure if this is right, but I like to think of the ordering of the universe like the temporary intricacy and beauty of adding cream to coffee. In the beginning, everything is homogenous and stable. For a brief moment, there is complexity, variety, motion. Then everything is homogenous and still again.

Life and all the 10,000 things exists in that transition state. In the time scale of the universe that brief moment may last billions of years.