Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What documentary are you watching?

Shoshin1Shoshin1 Sentient BeingOceania Veteran
edited September 15 in General Banter

WARNING GRAPHIC SCENES

The War You Don't See: Secrets and Lies in the Mainstream Media (2010)

The War You Don't See is a powerful and timely investigation into the media's role in war, tracing the history of embedded; and independent reporting from the carnage of World War One to the destruction of Hiroshima, and from the invasion of Vietnam to the current war in Afghanistan and disaster in Iraq.
As weapons and propaganda become even more sophisticated, the nature of war is developing into an electronic battlefield in which journalists play a key role, and civilians are the victims.
But who is the real enemy?

"Never believe anything until it is officially denied"
~Francis Claud Cockburn~

What documentary have you been watching ?

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I particularly enjoyed this short docu about sunrise at Varanasi, the holiest city of the Hindus. It gives a short portrait of a sadhu who bathes in the early morning, Baba Shiva Das.

Shoshin1
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Sentient Being Oceania Veteran

I visited Varanasi back in the early 80s when travelling overland to Europe from Australia...I remember seeing bodies floating in the Ganges, India's a real fascinating place to travel around....

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Cool! I’ve been to India a few times, as a child and later as an adult, but I’ve never been to Varanasi. I agree with you, India is fascinating, but I’m not sure if I’d go back, I have gotten too used to tiled western bathrooms and toilet paper…

Shoshin1lobster

When travelling around India on a shoestring(staying in cheap budget accommodation eg $1 or $2 a night, guest houses ) when we wanted a bit of luxury, we would just walk into a posh hotel and use their bathrooms, we were never challenged.

I must admit, the posh hotels in India are very nice. I remember going to the Blue Diamond in Poona once to partake of their all-you-can-eat buffet lunch, I don’t remember how much it cost but it was very fancy and delicious Indian food.

edited September 16

India's an interesting place..
    After travelling around for two and half months, Bangladesh, Nepal and India, (spending most of the time in India) we were happy to be leaving , but then after a while we started to miss the unique Indian experience. India seems to have that effect on you...

lobster
  • and now back to the documentaries...

Shoshin1

This is just a short piece that I loved… since we seem to be on Extreme Sports in the Word Association Game… sometimes I feel I’m missing out by not participating, but honestly I don’t think I have the body fitness to do it at age 52.

lobsterShoshin1

Wow what an adrenaline rush...At first the apprehension of what if, and then the rush of adrenaline at take off... It reminds me a bit of when I have lucid dreams of flying..

Jeroen
    edited September 16

And I’ve got to put in the obligatory mention to my favourite docu, Crazywise. It’s a wonderful tale of wisdom about mental health, tracking the lives of two young people, and showing how this relates to shamanic traditions and psychiatric traditions.

Watch it here: https://centrumpuur.nl/crazy-wise/ (English with Dutch subtitles, scroll to the bottom)
    The password: CWDUTCH (in all caps)

Here is the trailer, if you want to watch that first…

And a TEDx talk by the creator, Phil Borges

lobster

I came across this, a half-hour documentary on the life of Thich Nhat Hanh with a lot of historical context. The end I found particularly touching. Hope you will enjoy it!

Shoshin1person

And I will be watching this, when it comes out Oct 16.

edited September 24

I had heard about the Liberty attack, but never in such detail... until now...
    All I can say is wow..
    Sacrificing Liberty

The true story of the USS. Liberty is more shocking than any spy novel written by Tom Clancy. The most top-secret spy ship in the world. Its client was the NSA. The ship and its 294 U.S. Navy sailors were rushed to the Mediterranean Sea. Only the White House and Pentagon knew that Israel was ready to attack Arab nations. The USS. Liberty was deliberately sent into a kill zone. The casualties were staggering: 34 killed and 174 wounded. The coverup began immediately and has continued since 1967. Until now! The aging survivors have finally told their true story. Sacrificing Liberty sets the record straight.

The truth told for the first time about Israel’s massacre of U.S.S. Liberty crewmen.

Lost video footage seen for the first time in decades.

Shocking first-time eye-witness testimony from the men who survived on June 8, 1967.

Gut-wrenching descriptions of the carnage unleashed by Israeli gunboats, warplanes, and submarines.

Connecting the dots that link LBJ to a failed false flag operation to start a war with Egypt.

Heart-breaking descriptions of human body recovery.

Uncensored U.S.S. Liberty crewmen telling their true stories for the first time in 53 years.

The role of Senator John McCain’s father in the government coverup.

The uncovering of LBJ’s Mossad mistress in the White House.

The fuse that lit the fire of war in the Middle East that is still burning today.

How brave American men prevented a nuclear war by refusing to die on June 8, 1967.

However the last part which (I'm now watching) starts to sound a bit conspiracy theoryish, which I feel spoils it a bit...

edited 4:58PM

I enjoyed this short film… beautiful, and very meditative

In fact this whole channel seems to be films like that! Great find.