Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What documentary are you watching?

Shoshin1Shoshin1 Sentient BeingOceania Veteran
edited September 15 in General Banter

WARNING GRAPHIC SCENES

The War You Don't See: Secrets and Lies in the Mainstream Media (2010)

The War You Don't See is a powerful and timely investigation into the media's role in war, tracing the history of embedded; and independent reporting from the carnage of World War One to the destruction of Hiroshima, and from the invasion of Vietnam to the current war in Afghanistan and disaster in Iraq.
As weapons and propaganda become even more sophisticated, the nature of war is developing into an electronic battlefield in which journalists play a key role, and civilians are the victims.
But who is the real enemy?

"Never believe anything until it is officially denied"
~Francis Claud Cockburn~

What documentary have you been watching ?

lobster

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I particularly enjoyed this short docu about sunrise at Varanasi, the holiest city of the Hindus. It gives a short portrait of a sadhu who bathes in the early morning, Baba Shiva Das.

Shoshin1
  • Shoshin1Shoshin1 Sentient Being Oceania Veteran

I visited Varanasi back in the early 80s when travelling overland to Europe from Australia...I remember seeing bodies floating in the Ganges, India's a real fascinating place to travel around....

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Cool! I’ve been to India a few times, as a child and later as an adult, but I’ve never been to Varanasi. I agree with you, India is fascinating, but I’m not sure if I’d go back, I have gotten too used to tiled western bathrooms and toilet paper…

Shoshin1lobster

When travelling around India on a shoestring(staying in cheap budget accommodation eg $1 or $2 a night, guest houses ) when we wanted a bit of luxury, we would just walk into a posh hotel and use their bathrooms, we were never challenged.

I must admit, the posh hotels in India are very nice. I remember going to the Blue Diamond in Poona once to partake of their all-you-can-eat buffet lunch, I don’t remember how much it cost but it was very fancy and delicious Indian food.

edited September 16

India's an interesting place..
    After travelling around for two and half months, Bangladesh, Nepal and India, (spending most of the time in India) we were happy to be leaving , but then after a while we started to miss the unique Indian experience. India seems to have that effect on you...

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran

and now back to the documentaries...

Shoshin1

This is just a short piece that I loved… since we seem to be on Extreme Sports in the Word Association Game… sometimes I feel I’m missing out by not participating, but honestly I don’t think I have the body fitness to do it at age 52.

lobsterShoshin1

Wow what an adrenaline rush...At first the apprehension of what if, and then the rush of adrenaline at take off... It reminds me a bit of when I have lucid dreams of flying..

Jeroen
    edited September 16

And I’ve got to put in the obligatory mention to my favourite docu, Crazywise. It’s a wonderful tale of wisdom about mental health, tracking the lives of two young people, and showing how this relates to shamanic traditions and psychiatric traditions.

Watch it here: https://centrumpuur.nl/crazy-wise/ (English with Dutch subtitles, scroll to the bottom)
    The password: CWDUTCH (in all caps)

Here is the trailer, if you want to watch that first…

And a TEDx talk by the creator, Phil Borges

lobster

I came across this, a half-hour documentary on the life of Thich Nhat Hanh with a lot of historical context. The end I found particularly touching. Hope you will enjoy it!

Shoshin1person

And I will be watching this, when it comes out Oct 16.

edited September 24

I had heard about the Liberty attack, but never in such detail... until now...
    All I can say is wow..
    Sacrificing Liberty

The true story of the USS. Liberty is more shocking than any spy novel written by Tom Clancy. The most top-secret spy ship in the world. Its client was the NSA. The ship and its 294 U.S. Navy sailors were rushed to the Mediterranean Sea. Only the White House and Pentagon knew that Israel was ready to attack Arab nations. The USS. Liberty was deliberately sent into a kill zone. The casualties were staggering: 34 killed and 174 wounded. The coverup began immediately and has continued since 1967. Until now! The aging survivors have finally told their true story. Sacrificing Liberty sets the record straight.

The truth told for the first time about Israel’s massacre of U.S.S. Liberty crewmen.

Lost video footage seen for the first time in decades.

Shocking first-time eye-witness testimony from the men who survived on June 8, 1967.

Gut-wrenching descriptions of the carnage unleashed by Israeli gunboats, warplanes, and submarines.

Connecting the dots that link LBJ to a failed false flag operation to start a war with Egypt.

Heart-breaking descriptions of human body recovery.

Uncensored U.S.S. Liberty crewmen telling their true stories for the first time in 53 years.

The role of Senator John McCain’s father in the government coverup.

The uncovering of LBJ’s Mossad mistress in the White House.

The fuse that lit the fire of war in the Middle East that is still burning today.

How brave American men prevented a nuclear war by refusing to die on June 8, 1967.

However the last part which (I'm now watching) starts to sound a bit conspiracy theoryish, which I feel spoils it a bit...

lobster
    edited September 26

I enjoyed this short film… beautiful, and very meditative

In fact this whole channel seems to be films like that! Great find.

Another one from the same series… what beautiful people.

Well theoretically I watched this...

person
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited October 12

@Jeroen said:

Kurzegesagt has such an skillful way of presenting existential problems in such a positive and hopeful way.

edited October 12

Just the intro to this sends shivers up my spine… the launch of a Saturn V rocket on the way to the Moon, Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Mother Theresa… heroic figures opening the interview series called Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth. Wonderful that it’s on YouTube. This is the first of six hour-long parts. Well worth watching!

@person said:
    Kurzegesagt has such a skillful way of presenting existential problems in such a positive and hopeful way.

Yes indeed, and here he is saying something that I worked out as well, that most people carry in their heads a time horizon for the human race of just a generation or so before “it all goes bang”, but that that in fact isn’t likely. What is more likely is that the human race will exist in some form for many thousands more years as we continue to solve the problems of an Earth co-created by Nature and by human beings.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

@Jeroen said:

@person said:
    Kurzegesagt has such a skillful way of presenting existential problems in such a positive and hopeful way.

Yes indeed, and here he is saying something that I worked out as well, that most people carry in their heads a time horizon for the human race of just a generation or so before “it all goes bang”, but that that in fact isn’t likely. What is more likely is that the human race will exist in some form for many thousands more years as we continue to solve the problems of an Earth co-created by Nature and by human beings.

There's an idea in ethics that I hear the "founder" of effective altruism Will MacAskill talk about. That we should take the well being of future humans into account when we make our ethical and policy decisions.
    https://www.williammacaskill.com/longtermism#:~:text=Second, there could be very,on its very first page.

Jeroen
    edited October 14

Funny that you should post about this docu, @lobster, because I was going to as well. Some friends in the UK had alerted me after it was shown on ITV last night, and I have read about it in The Guardian because it is a film about my childhood. I was in some of those communes when I was a young teen, between the ages of 11 and 13, and while I wasn’t abused, my heart goes out to those who were and were there with me.

I’m pretty sure Osho knew nothing about it, he spoke out on a number of occasions against the child abuse scandals in the Catholic Church. It turns out he wasn’t far-sighted enough to see what kind of people would be attracted to a commune featuring ‘free sex’, or to take account of that when he said “all the adults together will take responsibility for raising the kids”.

My own experience was that there were some adults at the Ranch who were “too friendly”, I found it suspicious and steered clear of them. But I’ve heard from friends about others who were less smart or cautious, and got taken advantage of, boys as well as girls.

lobster

@Jeroen said:
    I’m pretty sure Osho knew nothing about it…

I am certain you are wrong.

Pedophiles, predators, self entitled parents, enablers, El Papa Popes, Dali lama's etc are adults AND choose their ‘priorities’ and blind eyes.

Do we protect:

• vulnerable
    • less adept
    • immature with ‘I'm mature’

…who do not always have the capacity to choose their abusers?

We are all hypocrites when it comes to our capacities, predilections and choices.

No one is an exception. Apart from?

This is a post by a lobster hypocrite

@lobster said:

@Jeroen said:
    I’m pretty sure Osho knew nothing about it…

I am certain you are wrong.

You are of course free to supply proof, if you have any. Due to Sheela’s bugging of Osho’s rooms on the Ranch, many thousands of hours of audio tapes are with the FBI, and they were never able to link him with any of the crimes committed. That is a matter of record.

lobster

Yep @Jeroen, Sheela did it.
    His closest disciple. Blame someone else. Preferably a woman.

Watch the documentary and find any proof a normal person needs.

Do you feel people who support Bhagwan and his continuing communes are incapable of lying, exposure and criminality?

I am not your deprogrammer incidentally. Here you go though...
    https://www.oregonlive.com/rajneesh/2011/04/part_one_it_was_worse_than_we.html

Jeroen
    edited October 15

I’m not in need of a deprogrammer, but thanks for thinking of me. From all the hours of discourses I’ve listened to, I have a pretty sound idea of who Bhagwan was, and he wasn’t a pedophile. And yes, a lot of the crimes on the Ranch did originate with Sheela and her gang of cronies. A lot of the worst abuse stories seem to originate from the English commune Medina, far away from the Ranch.

As far as the current commune leadership is concerned, I don’t really know that much about them, although I have heard they are not impeccable in their conduct, mostly around financial matters.

I was just reading this…
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/oct/12/abuse-rajneesh-cult-children-communes

lobster

I never said Rajneesh was a pedophile.

He was aware and enabled a situation.

Rape, beating people up, armed resistance and … poisoning of local American townsfolk, sexualisation of children, child labour, hidden surveillance… The list goes on and on of non spiritual behaviour at the Oregon ranch AND worldwide, including UK.

'Not impeccable' is very much an understatement.

Investigation and witness after witness have been traumatised and tell that at the head of this snake was 'the self proclaimed Buddha' Rajneesh/Osho and his inner circle.

If you continue to be blind to these peoples testimony, then what do you call such deep complicity and enablement? I might call it being programmed. That you survived reasonably unscathed is no thanks to Bhagwan. No matter your feelings towards them.

You had a wonderful time. That's all OK then.

edited 5:40AM

@lobster said:
    Investigation and witness after witness have been traumatised and tell that at the head of this snake was 'the self proclaimed Buddha' Rajneesh/Osho and his inner circle.

Lobster, you sound as if you’re getting caught up in the stories…

The evidence just doesn’t support it. I don’t know who you have been listening to, but I’ve never come across someone who was present at the time saying that Osho himself was “involved” in these things or even knew about them. His ideas of free love had some unfortunate consequences which he didn’t foresee, that’s not the same as being involved. His secretary and inner circle, yes, that I can see.