Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The importance of Humor

OneLifeFormOneLifeForm Veteran
edited August 2012 in General Banter
I thought about putting this in advanced ideas because some people get so wrapped up in how much they know and all of these other things that they forget about such!

Which is why I'd like to form a discussion on the extremely important role that humor plays in regards to growing spiritually.

So many people seem to forget this as they move on their path.

When looking from reality almost every situation is absolutely hilarious and worthy of at least a smile.

Anger for myself is especially humerus as it tickles the punny bone.

It seems that in neurotic laced situations the humor of them is begging to be acknowledged.. waiting to explode with fresh positive energy.

Sometimes though we choose instead to suffer.

Please discuss the role of humor in living a spiritual life.

:D

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Please discuss the role of humor in living a spiritual life.
    Absolutely essential from my POV.

;)
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Humor can open the spiritual pores.

It can likewise be used as an excuse for not getting serious.

For example, is the following serious or funny?

Man without God
    Is like a fish
    Without a bicycle.
  • Humor can open the spiritual pores.

Man without God
    Is like a fish
    Without a bicycle.
    Therein lies the key; Balance.

It sounds as if the quote you posted is mocking those that believe in God.. not trying to be funny but rather insulting.
    Saying that people need God as much as a fish needs a bicycle.
  • Oooh, yes, please share your funnies!

I love www.cracked.com
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I think the nature of humor is seeing a situation from a different perspective and a wider view is a core aspect of spirituality.
    Humor can open the spiritual pores.

Man without God
    Is like a fish
    Without a bicycle.

It sounds as if the quote you posted is mocking those that believe in God.. not trying to be funny but rather insulting.
    Certainly that can be one interpretation... an insult.

Another possibility is to enjoy the ludicrousness of a fish with a bicycle.

And yet another possibility is to investigate the matter seriously and find out what truth or falsehood might lie at the core.

So it goes... pick your poison.

Man without God
    Is like a fish
    Without a bicycle.

Certainly that can be one interpretation... an insult.

Another possibility is to enjoy the ludicrousness of a fish with a bicycle.

And yet another possibility is to investigate the matter seriously and find out what truth or falsehood might lie at the core.

So it goes... pick your poison.

Yarr.. it can be looked at any way one chooses.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    One of my Shiatsu teachers, who was just brilliant at what he did, applied a specific massage on a pupil, as a working example of the technique. He gently and quietly explained what he was doing, and why, simultaneously applying the shiatsu as he spoke, and his flowing, easy, seemingly effortless movements were almost like a ballet...it was sheer poetry, and we were mesmerised just watching the apparent ease in which he smoothly moved from one end of his subject, to the other, without faltering, without pause, without hesitation... and then he finished off by saying...
    "Easiest 45 quid you'll ever make, folks!"

which shocked us out of our adulating reverie and we fell about laughing....
  • I think humour is a great tool for getting into dark areas of human life where a light can then be shined. I have a friend who had been in an incestuous relationship when she was a young teen, and the easiest way for her to talk about it was to make jokes about it - to make light of it. This doesn't undermine the issue, it just takes some weight out of it so it can be looked at a bit easier. I think humour is a beautiful, useful tool that goes way beyond simply having a laugh and a giggle. I think humour is a prized weapon in the armoury of any spiritual person.
  • I think humour is a great tool for getting into dark areas of human life where a light can then be shined. I think humour is a prized weapon in the armoury of any spiritual person.
    :)
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    humor is creativity! creativity is a wonderful tool to offset conditioned thought... offsetting conditioned thought highlights impermanance... impermanance shows us all the rest of what we need! And what we need is a good laugh as often as we can get it!

...if you don't know who Bill Hicks was, you should get to know him!
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Nothing takes itself more seriously than ego. If you can't laugh at your practise it just shows you what is in control.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    @TheBeejAbides...we are on a roll with the good video's, are'nt we ? lololol
    I will, in fact, be getting to know the material of one, Bill HIcks. :)
  • @TheBeejAbides...we are on a roll with the good video's, are'nt we ? lololol
    I will, in fact, be getting to know the material of one, Bill HIcks. :)
    Bill Hicks is the man! Honestly, get on YouTube and search for 'Sane Man', and you can watch a full show of his. Sane Man is not as heavily spiritual or socially orientated as later shows, but to me it is him at his peak, and his energy and passion just bursts out of the screen. I am sooo jealous that you get to discover Bill Hicks anew! He is a life changer, and soooo funny. :D

Man without God
    Is like a fish
    Without a bicycle.
    It's seriously funny. :)
  • Dharma the Cat is awesome! :D
    Nothing takes itself more seriously than ego. If you can't laugh at your practise it just shows you what is in control.

:thumbup:
  • If only I could accept that I can't accept being someone who finds it hard to accept acceptance from those who accept me for the person that I can't accept I really am

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/mfr/lowres/mfrn62l.jpg

• ToshTosh Veteran
    edited August 2012

Which is why I'd like to form a discussion on the extremely important role that humor plays in regards to growing spiritually.
    In the days of early Alcoholics Anonymous, it became apparent that some form of self-governing rules were needed, so the co-founder wrote to all the different groups and asked them for the rules they used.

Alkies, being alkies, had produced lists of rules (which were all subsequently thrown out), but one is still fondly used and that is:

Rule 62:

"Don't take yourself too damn seriously." (page 149 12 x 12).

I think that's more profound than what many members give it credit for. I mean if there is no inherently existing permanent self, what the heck is there to take too seriously?

Of course, in A.A. we don't have the doctrine of emptiness, but I'm sure this rule points to it!

• Which is why I'd like to form a discussion on the extremely important role that humor plays in regards to growing spiritually.
    In the days of early Alcoholics Anonymous, it became apparent that some form of self-governing rules were needed, so the co-founder wrote to all the different groups and asked them for the rules they used.

Alkies, being alkies, had produced lists of rules (which were all subsequently thrown out), but one is still fondly used and that is:

Rule 62:

"Don't take yourself too damn seriously." (page 149 12 x 12).

I think that's more profound than what many members give it credit for. I mean if there is no inherently existing permanent self, what the heck is there to take too seriously?

Of course, in A.A. we don't have the doctrine of emptiness, but I'm sure this rule points to it!
    Yep. I go NA.. they say KISS it.. Keep It Simple Stupid

:P
  • A Buddhist monk walks into a bar and sits on a stool,
    thirty seconds later he gets up after saying, "Well I've
    absorbed just about all the concentration there is in
    this place!"

hheeheh I made that one up as I was pondering what a
    monk walks into a bar joke would be like.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Slap my face, but I keep wanting to "correct" the thread title to 'Humour' instead of 'Humor'...!
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited August 2012
    A Buddhist monk walks into a bar and sits on a stool,
    thirty seconds later he gets up after saying, "Well I've
    absorbed just about all the concentration there is in
    this place!"

hheeheh I made that one up as I was pondering what a
    monk walks into a bar joke would be like.
    Monk walks into a bar, and says to the bartender, "Give me a drink."
    The bartender, busy washing glasses, says, "I've already given it to you!"
    Monk replies, "Then I've already drank it." Bows and walks out.
    A man sitting at the bar watching this says, "So that's enlightenment, is it?"
    "Yeah, the old monk is enlightened," the bartender says, continuing to wash the glasses. "But he's still a lousy tipper."

I believe this is one I made up. If not, I claim it anyway.
    Slap my face, but I keep wanting to "correct" the thread title to 'Humour' instead of 'Humor'...!
    It's a shame these colonials won't use the Queens English.... :p
    edited August 2012
    Dreadful....! Abhorrent!.... Thoroughly backward..... Really....I don't know!!
    is that why yous guys spell 'practice' with an 's', as in 'practise'? the Queen put you up to it? :lol:
    Oh you Brits! :)
    edited August 2012
    is that why yous guys spell 'practice' with an 's', as in 'practise'? the Queen put you up to it? :lol:
    @TheBeejAbides
    No.

That's not Spelling, that's Grammar.

PractiCe is the noun. (John's Medical Practice is on the high street.)

PractiSe is the Verb. (John Practises medicine, but also teaches massage therapy).

It's like MarinaDe, and MarinaTe.
    same thing, respectively. Marinade is the concoction you immerse meat in to flavour it.
    Marinate is the process....

I sincerely trust you feel you have been put in your place, now.
    :p

edited August 2012
    Hahaha- touché.... I love playing Scrabble with my English friend. I have never beaten her. Never really come close, actually. I reasoned that I'm at a severe disadvantage playing against her due to the fact that she hails from the very land that invented the language and that I hail from the land that seeks to bastardize the language... but I guess it's time to entertain the thought that she (and others) are just plain smarter than me. :lol:
    I think that if every man were to entertain the thought that every woman is smarter than him, we might finally get somewhere.

(That's what's known as that there fightin' talk, ma'am....!! :D)
  • Here's one Aussie joke that fell flat on its face.

Yes us Aussies just love to take things that little bit to far :p

Oh lordy, yes.... that's one moment the interviewer would probably like to consign to the depths of non-existence.....!!
  • Hahaha, the interviewer is one of our main morning sunrise news host,.

I was actually watching the interview live, and at the time I was thinking ohh nooooo this could go really bad...
    edited August 2012
    @federica - practice, the noun is worth more points than practises, the verb in the game of Scrabble... though it's clear to me that the verb is worth more than the noun in everyday life. Care to use your biologically mandadeted intelectual superiority to comment on this observation?
    I think that if every man were to entertain the thought that every woman is smarter than him, we might finally get somewhere.

(That's what's known as that there fightin' talk, ma'am....!! :D)
    I always did wonder why groups of women seem to squabble so much. This appears to explain it. If every head wears a crown, who will serve the humming bird tongues? Thanks. :p

edited August 2012
    @TheBeejAbides, I will reply with this

video, which has to be one of the funniest - and truest - things ever produced on gender differences.

@genkaku, we're not squabbling, we're just all talking at once. We all know what we're all saying, because we're also all listening.

We're amazing.....

Pleasure. ;)
    @federica -- Enjoyed the video...

Are you sure that's not spelled p-l-e-a-s-u-u-u-r-e?
    It should be..... :D

• @genkaku, we're not squabbling, we're just all talking at once. We all know what we're all saying, because we're also all listening.

We're amazing.....

Pleasure. ;)

I'm not saying anything, I'm in my nothing box

:eek:
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    I've heard some funny stuff in A.A. (which is a spiritual organisation). One that springs to mind was that I was listening to a newcomer talking to an AAer and this is how the conversation went:

AAer, "Hey, it was great you came this evening. I hope to see you at the Thursday meeting as well!"

Newcomer, "Er, well, maybe, I'll see!"

AAer, "What do you mean 'I'll see'? You have no job, no money, your family don't want to know you, you're homeless and you're living in a shelter! Have you anything better to do on Thursday?"

That made me smile! The guy came back and is a few years sober now; he tells the story better himself.

• www.wakeuplaughing.com

• Swami Beyondananda's Guidelines for Enlightenment

http://two.not2.org/hesperides/humor/swami.htm

• SileSile Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Sadly (or humorously?) it's practice either way, in the States.

Or as teenaged texters (and Indonesians) would have it, praktis ;)

I do remember thinking how funny it was some years ago when stateside businesses started using "Centre" to look a bit more cultured, lol.