Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How did life start?

NamadaNamada Veteran
edited March 2015 in General Banter

Hi

How did everything start? Who pushed the start button for this universe, and this life?

According to the Buddha, to qualify something as existing or not existing is wrong. In reality, there is no such thing as totally existing or totally not existing.

So there is no start no end, just a never ending prosess?

Thich Nhat Hanh says:

"...but I find that simply walking on the earth is a miracle".

And that is very true when we see it in the big picture.

ToshDaltheJigsaw

Comments

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    There could never have been a start point for absolutely everything as before that there could never have been the potential for anything.

Before there was anything there still must have been the potential for everything.
    Namada
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    There doesn't have to be a start. :) just because our human minds can't comprehend no beginning point doesn't mean it isn't there.
    HollyRose1Eliz
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited March 2015
    Actually, @Lobster, that is misleading. I'll look for the link but even Hawking says so.

I did a thread on it here I think called Hawkings coin or something but it may have gotten axed.

He would liken the energy of the universe as a hole being dug and the pile it makes. The energy expended can work out to zero doing the math but the dirt itself is needed to dig the hole or make a pile in the first place.

Do you see what I mean?

When you look deeply into any physicists theory on "something from nothing" you will see that they misuse the term and admit it. Hawking says "Nothingness is unstable because there is nothing to keep it in that state".

If nothing is an "it", it isn't "nothing".

An absolute beginning logically means there could be no creator deity or at least one with a plan but nobody thinks of that.
    silverlobsterMigyur
    edited March 2015
    An absolute beginning flies in the face of causation as well so if we are arguing for theism or against it, an absolute beginning is nonsense.
    silverlobster
  • PöljäPöljä Veteran
    edited March 2015

There probably is a diversity of realities/universe. Maybe the question of how and when is relevant in our Universe with its laws of physics, but not relevant in some other realities or in bigger multiverse scale.

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

In the beginning, in the dark, there was nothing but water. And Mgongo Bumba was alone.

One day Bumba was in terrible pain. He retched and strained and vomited up the sun. After that light spread over everything. The heat of the sun dried up the water until the black edges of the world began to show. Black sandbanks and reefs could be seen. But there were no living things.

Bumba vomited up the moon and then the stars, and after that the night had its light also.

Then he vomited up some animals, plants and insects. The three sons of Mgongo Bumba decided to help their father by finishing the world for him. They created several more kinds of creatures, plants, and then mankind.

Of all the creatures the sons created, Tsetse, lightning, was the only trouble-maker. She stirred up so much trouble that Bumba chased her into the sky. Then mankind was without fire until Bumba showed the people how to draw fire out of trees. 'There is fire in every tree,' he told them.

David
  • In our ancient saga "Kalevala" a bird that was a goose or a duck created the World by laying an egg.

HamsakaDavid
    edited March 2015

@Pöljä said:
    In our ancient saga "Kalevala" a bird that was a goose or a duck created the World by laying an egg.

:chuffed: I like yours better :chuffed:

I'm sure it was a goose.

PöljäMigyur

@Pöljä said:
    There probably is a diversity of realities/universe. Maybe the question of how and when is relevant in our Universe with its laws of physics, but not relevant in some other realities or in bigger multiverse scale.

Could be. But a beginning to one universe out of a multitude is not the absolute beginning of the actual universe.

• To our understanding there have to be a time scale: the beginning, and even the end. Do you think the end is a necessity?

edited March 2015
    Well, if a beginning is not a necessity then an end doesn't seem feasible let alone needed.

That which began at the big bang may never end either... It may just dissipate like a plume of smoke.

For my own personal time scale, I'm sure I must have begun but I don't remember it. I'm sure I will end but I don't remember that either. All I know for sure is that I'm here now.
    Hamsaka
  • It's enough to live in this very moment and to appreciate it.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@Pöljä said:
    It's enough to live in this very moment and to appreciate it.

For some.

• NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited March 2015

'There is no reason to suppose that the world had a beginning at all. The idea that things must have a beginning is really due to the poverty of our thoughts.' Russel Brand

sova
  • After all this world is beautiful, although there is far too much suffering.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2015

@Namada How did life start?

I think the Buddha did not think that such questions were wrong, just not pertinent to one's walking the path towards suffering's cessation,

For a practicing meditator, masticating the mind over the question of when everything started is best examined from the perspective of "who's asking?"

From the ego's perspective, this question's main relevance is about the conception of the ego's own birth as an entity separate from everything else.

Beyond of the ego's perspective, this question has no relevance, for the dream that birthed it no longer holds sway.

ShoshinBuddhadragon
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Well just for once, I can actually hold my hand up and confirm I had nothing to do with it, so don't look at me.

;)

HamsakaBuddhadragon
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

You guys are probably familiar with the Aganna Sutta... it's about how the earth formed. Alas, may we find our true luminosity!

1. 'There comes a time, Vasettha, when, sooner or later after a long period, this world contracts. At a time of contraction, beings are mostly born in the Abhassara Brahma world. And there they dwell, mind-made, feeding on delight, self-luminous, moving through the air, glorious — and they stay like that for a very long time. But sooner or later, after a very long period, this world begins to expand again. At a time of expansion, the beings from the Abhassara Brahma world, [85] having passed away from there, are mostly reborn in this world. Here they dwell, mind-made, feeding on delight, self-luminous, moving through the air, glorious--and they stay like that for a very long time.

2. 'At that period, Vasettha, there was just one mass of water, and all was darkness, blinding darkness. Neither moon nor sun appeared, no constellations or stars appeared, night and day were not distinguished, nor months and fortnights, no years or seasons, and no male and female, beings being reckoned just as beings. And sooner or later, after a very long period of time, savoury earth spread itself over the waters where those beings were. It looked just like the skin that forms itself over hot milk as it cools. It was endowed with colour, smell and taste. It was the colour of fine ghee or butter, and it was very sweet, like pure wild honey.

3. 'Then some being of a greedy nature said: "I say, what can this be?" and tasted the savoury earth on its finger. In so doing, it became taken with the flavour, and craving arose in it. Then other beings, taking their cue from that one, also tasted the stuff with their fingers. They too were taken with the flavour, and craving arose in them. So they set to with their hands, breaking off pieces of the stuff in order to eat it. And [86] the result of this was that their self-luminance disappeared. And as a result of the disappearance of their self-luminance, the moon and the sun appeared, night and day were distinguished, months and fortnights appeared, and the year and its seasons. To that extent the world re-evolved.

4. 'And those beings continued for a very long time feasting on this savoury earth, feeding on it and being nourished by it. And as they did so, their bodies became coarser, and a difference in looks developed among them. Some beings became good-looking, others ugly. And the good-looking ones despised the others, saying: "We are better-looking, than they are." And because they became arrogant and conceited about their looks, the savoury earth disappeared. At this they came together and lamented, crying: "Oh that flavour! Oh that flavour!" And so nowadays when people say: "Oh that flavour!" when they get something nice, they are repeating an ancient saying without realising it.

Pasted from http://www.columbia.edu/itc/religion/f2001/edit/docs/aggannasutta.pdf

Hamsaka

@ourself said:
    Well, if a beginning is not a necessity then an end doesn't seem feasible let alone needed.

That which began at the big bang may never end either... It may just dissipate like a plume of smoke.

For my own personal time scale, I'm sure I must have begun but I don't remember it. I'm sure I will end but I don't remember that either. All I know for sure is that I'm here now.

Sometime 'recently' (it's hard to tell) some cosmologists proposed a possibly more 'coherent' explanation than the Big Bang (or the Big Barf of Mgongo Bumba). And that is there may not have been a temporal beginning to the known universe at all. That we humans assign it a 'beginning' could be just one more of our plethora of anthropic assumptions that we will eventually put aside as our knowledge and understanding of the cosmos grows.

• @ourself said:
    An absolute beginning flies in the face of causation as well so if we are arguing for theism or against it, an absolute beginning is nonsense.

Of course it does :)

There are many ways the cyclic nature of primal causation has been expressed through early cosmologies. For example the ouroborus of alchemy, the lightening strike of the Ain Soph Aur which simultaneously goes up to generate the means of its existence in Kabbalah and the ideas of dervishes such as Ibn-Arabi who described the acorn as the cause of the trees need to give it being.

However a simple way to express it might be that in the future we travel back in time to seed the creation of our own universal Big Bang expansion.

Some modern cosmologies describe how in a multiverse one universe may collapse in order to seed the next, very similar to ideas of the 'breath of Brahma' in Hinduism.

The linear thinking of primal causation is limited, limiting and ultimately as unhelpful as 'Gods done it'.

However some cling to ye olde first 'chicken or egg' thinking . . .

@lobster said:
    However some cling to ye olde first 'chicken or egg' thinking . . .

They're just dumb clucks.

• There's this (not so?) new theory that the Universe has no beginning: No Big Bang? Quantum equation predicts universe has no beginning

lobstermmoDavid
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I think the human brain cannot understand the concept of infinity, of something with no beginning and no end. But it seems to me (based on nothing at all) that energy indeed never ends, just changes form...then why shouldn't that apply to the universe? We just deal so strictly within time, within beginnings and endings to everything that we can't comprehend anything other than that.

@Polja I can't tag you because I don't have my keyboard set up to do umlauts, lol. But I love the Kalevala. Wonderful reading and stories :) My family is Finnish, so I enjoy reading it one a year around Christmas time.

Pöljä
  • PöljäPöljä Veteran
    edited March 2015

The human brain is adapted to only four dimensions of the time-space. And the concepts of the birth and the death shape and limit our understanding. But after or during the eternity, can there be a beginning? :)

I know there are lot of Nordic people in Minnesota! My mother is from an area that nowadays belongs to Russia. My mothers mother had a German last name (née) and I have got to know that some members of the family are Jewish and are now living in the USA.

A study done in 2006 reveals that Alan Watt seems to have nailed it. A couple of scientists in the U.S. insist that life is not as miraculous or astronomically improbable as we seem to think it is. That life is a result of having no other options given the conditions.

From the article;

"**They argue that life was the necessary consequence of available energy built up by geological processes on the early Earth. Life sprang from this environment, they say, in the same way that lightning relieves the accumulation of electrical charge in thunderclouds.

In other words, say biologist Harold Morowitz of George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia, and physicist Eric Smith of New Mexico's Santa Fe Institute, the geological environment "forced life into existence".

This view implies not only that life had to emerge on the Earth, but that the same would happen on any similar planet. Smith and Morowitz hope ultimately to predict the first steps in the origin of life based on the laws of physics and chemistry alone...

“Life would emerge on any sunny, wet rocky planet.”
    -Michael Russell, California Institute of Technology.**

Hamsaka

Sounds like they are going back to Stanley Miller's work in the 1950s (or was it the 1960s).

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@tibellus said:> There's this (not so?) new theory that the Universe has no beginning: No Big Bang? Quantum equation predicts universe has no beginning

It's quite possible that the big bang was only the latest in a series, or that our universe is only one of many. Cosmologists are now theorising about what's beyond the observable universe.

• NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited March 2015

If the universe is expanding - what is it expanding into?

I think it is infinite, and some scientist says it could be 250 Times Bigger Than What is Observable, how they came up with that conclusion I dont know.

We can only see so far, that's known as the observable universe. Beyond that we don't know, there are various theories. It's all very strange, and Sunday-school answers like "God did it" really can't be taken seriously any more.

• NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited March 2015

If so one God did it, were did this God come from? And so it goes..

He made the world and the universe in 6 days and took a rest on Sunday.

"God’s creative work is complete at the end of the sixth day. The entire universe in all its beauty and perfection was fully formed in six literal, consecutive, 24-hour days. At the completion of His creation, God announces that it is very good". Genesis 1–2.

I'm one to believe in the universe having some intelligence on some level.
    Maybe not our conceptual intellect but maybe on a bigger level. One we can not ever comprehend with our minds.

Not in a God up in the sky way, but an altogether different way.

I look at flowers, stars, sunsets etc. its all incredible. It's beyond anything anybody could ever conceive.

Maybe it is geological formations, physics and chemistry but something is moving it.
    Call it a hunch.
    NamadaDavid
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

We have yet to figure out how to live a good life here and now, where we are.

What difference does it make to know how it all began?

howJeffreyShoshin
    edited March 2015

@DhammaDragon said:
    We have yet to figure out how to live a good life here and now, where we are.

What difference does it make to know how it all began?

From my viewpoint it makes a big difference. If there is no beginning that means there is such a thing as perpetuation of motion. If we let go of hatred and use an equal amount of compassion and wisdom there is no telling what we could achieve by tapping into and using the very universal flow that has always been there.

It used to be that we couldn't conceive of a beginningless universe and now it seems we have trouble seeing how there could be a beginning.

The secret to a lot of things seems to lie in figuring out perpetual motion and the notion is laughed away and dismissed but that is from the old way of seeing... When we couldn't conceive of the beginningless. That part of God (gaps) has gotten smaller and much of that has to do with the scenario @Namada pointed out. By wondering where the first cause (God or what-have-you) came from, we automatically picture a never ending and illogical chain.

It is said that the human mind could never understand the eternal or infinite but one doesn't have to be able to cite pi forever to make use of it.

This and particle physics could in reality give rise to Star Trek type stuff like warp drive engines and replicators. We would be living in a world of abundance with no need to fight over resources.

They understand up at ISS... While Russia and the U.S. are butting heads down here, up there, they are getting along just fine. Probably laughing at everyone fighting over the resources of one planet when we could be working together and get more explored.

We've been looking for a perpetual motion machine for a few centuries at least but we've been flying around in one forever.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    Men love to overponder things...
    Earthninjafedericasilver
    I can't argue with you there. Even if I could I'd probably just prove your point.

I did anyways, didn't I?

Oi di doi di doi

@DhammaDragon said:
    Men love to overponder things...

If you think women don't, then you've never been close to a female principal.

Earthninja
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Women ponder. Of course they do.

The important things, that is.

Earthninja

edited April 2015

Yes, as a parody, that's hilarious. I love it.... it's an unreal situation which mocks the pompous and chauvinistic attitudes of a bygone era.... And it's as funny as ever....

But few threads (if any) like this one, are begun by the female members of this forum.
    Most "Let's ponder a really serious, but ultimately pointless and principally aimless 'Papañca' topic/question" threads are instigated by the male faction.

edited April 2015
    Perhaps women are mostly short sighted when they see no use in advancing our knowledge in that regard.

If you think this line of questioning is principally aimless and ultimately pointless then it's entirely possible you just simply cannot fathom the concepts and so feel a need to downplay it in order to make yourself feel better.

The wise choice would be to stay out of conversations that go over your head.

@ourself said:
    Perhaps women are mostly short sighted when they see no use in advancing our knowledge in that regard.

How does discussing something until you're going round and round in circles without having gained a single iota of progress 'advancing our knowledge'...?

If you think this line of questioning is principally aimless and ultimately pointless then it's entirely possible you just simply cannot fathom the concepts and so feel a need to downplay it in order to make yourself feel better.

Don't patronise me, @ourself. It doesn't become you, and makes you appear less intelligent. An ad hominem attack like that is unnecessary, and certainly not worthy of you.

Demonstrate to me this thread is doing anything to answer the question, other than verbalising certain opinions.

The wise choice would be to stay out of conversations that go over your head.

I don't have that luxury.
    It's my job, you see.
    However, remarks like that do nothing but get you noticed.

And not in a good way.

@federica said:> But few threads (if any) like this one, are begun by the female members of this forum.> Most "Let's ponder a really serious, but ultimately pointless and principally aimless 'Papañca' topic/question" threads are instigated by the male faction.

That sounds like a sexist comment.

David
    edited April 2015

No, it's not.
    It's absolutely true.
    It's verifiable through searches.
    Most threads with complex deep and ultimately un-answerable titles, which lead to round-and-round discussion here, with no ultimate resolution are begun by male members.
    It's not sexist, it's fact.

It would be sexist - if it wasn't true.

Anyway, if you guys would care to stick to topic, let's not go too far broad of the beam.

How did life start?

boobysattva
    Pointless and ultimately aimless...

How did life start? That is a fantastic question.
    What happens after death?
    Who was I before I was born?

These sorts of questions are ones that few in the world can truthfully answer and those people have an understanding beyond ours.

So for me questions like this are the most important. It leads you deeper than pure intellect.

If I ask myself , who is the one asking the question?

Some people would say it's pointless and aimless. But for me it's an intuitively knowing that this is exactly what I should be asking. The mind hates this sort of questioning but I know I'm not this...

Maybe it's a male thing I don't know, but these deep virtually unanswerable questions stir something deep within me.

How did life start? Who is asking the question ?

It's more than just words, If it's just words then all we are doing is entertaining our minds.
  • NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited April 2015

I agree with you Earthninja, its not for getting an exact answer I asked this question, but just to look more deep into it, with other opnions and what other think about it.
    Its interesting.

If it just males wondering about how life started and other "aimless" questions, I dont think so.

It isn't.
  • PöljäPöljä Veteran
    edited April 2015

How life started is still as much a philosophical question as science. And besides, both philosophy and science are not masculine things. I'm really fascinated with the Buddhist views on the major philosophical questions, which don't conflict with science.

David

@federica said:
    How does discussing something until you're going round and round in circles without having gained a single iota of progress 'advancing our knowledge'...?

The same way discussing anything can further knowledge.

You call it papanca but that is because you personally don't like to think about it.

I do not mean to offend.

As a moderator do you not try to keep emotions out of it?

edited April 2015

You call it papanca but that is because you personally don't like to think about it.

No. I call it Papanca because that's exactly what it is.

I'm human before I'm a Moderator.
    Can you forgive that?
    I have to forgive a lot of things.

I think it might be fair to say that I do better than a lot of Moderators at making every effort to keep my emotions out of it.

No, I don't always succeed.
    But frequenting 4 other forums as I do, I can tell you I do it pretty much better than most.

I'm sorry you only have my word for that, but I'm not lying.

One of those forums is a huge, vast Relationships forum.
    I mean huge.
    And the Moderators are all guys.
    If you want "letting emotions take over" you should see how THEY moderate....

I think I've said all I can say on the matter.
    The topic still stands for those wishing to take it further.