Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Alcohol

2»

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@robot said:
    I'm surprised you didn't catch mingle up about " I drunk a lot."

Drunk could be the Past Participle of 'to drink' which is why I let it go. :tongue:

However, having spent hours poring over every dictionary within my reach or grasp, I could not, for the life of me, find 'bounch'.

Although I personally would definitely petition for it's inclusion in the next edition of the Greater Oxford English Dictionary.... :D

Zenshin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Mingle said:
    A popular thread this turned out to be.

"Evviva! Beviam!!"

• PöljäPöljä Veteran
    edited June 2015

@Tosh said:
    I think self-medicating with booze is a dodgy path to go down; it's what alkies basically do; we don't drink for the taste you know. Can't you get anti-anxiety medication from your doctor? And maybe investigate ways - such as Buddhists practises - to deal with your anxiety in a more healthy way?

Many types of anti-anxiety medications have been tested for me. SSRI's and similar medicines, in high enough doses, were like stimulants without the euphoria. Doctors gave me benzos as a first-aid few times, and I got them from my friends or "friends". Living on the edge when I quit taking stims because then I could take handful of benzos and strong painkillers with 10 beers or so to feel "ok".

My anxiety is chronic and it cannot be totally cured (doctors say). It's one of the symptoms of my introvert personality and what I've been gone through. I haven't been interested in Buddhism for nothing during all these decades :) .

And thanks for asking! All the best for you, too.

DavidToshEarthninja
  • robotrobot Veteran

@Pöljä said:
    And thanks for asking! All the best for you, too.

Did you try Remeron (mirtazapine). Good stuff for some folks.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

doctors know nothing compared to what you can know about, and do with, your own mind and body.
    They have their uses, of course. But in many cases, the information they can give with regards to the complex system that is your body can't be relegated to text books and lectures.

Earthninja
  • inyoinyo Explorer

I think a lot of things have the potential to cause foggy mind, alcohol is just one that gets you there very fast. I'm not sure why people do not discuss very often how too much caffeine, too much sugar, too much stress, too much of pretty much anything can cause foggy mind in some way or another as well. Alcohol is just one of those (though a more powerful one of those). I think it also depends on the person, quantity, and situation. If I eat a box of cookies, my mind and body will go crazy vs having one small glass of wine, yet people generally support cookies more than wine. I think the point is to be very careful and try to keep your mind clear as much as possible because it's very precious. When you're feeling good, don't ruin it...enjoy it!

This reminds me of a "free won't" discussion I recently listened to (in relation to "free will"). A lot of times we're conditioned to do things out of habit and our surroundings to a point its almost like we're acting out of not having any control, just instantly reacting and consuming this or that...but if you give it a few extra seconds really think about it, you can get past the conditioning and experience "free won't" where you resist the substance or situation that you would usually have your "free will" condition you to pursue. I've found it to be helpful when trying to break bad habits. When you have "free won't" you realize you can enjoy yourself without the extra baggage.

lobsterVastmind
  • dantepwdantepw Veteran

I never tried any sort of alcoholic beverage or even soda up to this day (I'm 22 years old) :) .

But I do have some other inconvenient habits, just like programming and studying (sometimes obsessively and it leads me to panic attacks and others) :)

• PöljäPöljä Veteran

@karasti said:
    doctors know nothing compared to what you can know about, and do with, your own mind and body.
    They have their uses, of course. But in many cases, the information they can give with regards to the complex system that is your body can't be relegated to text books and lectures.

You are so right! I know what I am. But I can't get totally rid of my anxiety since it's an inborn feature of my personality type. Most of my life I've been totally sober or moderate with alcohol. Serious crisis -> failed therapies and medical treatments-> selfmedication. And now alcohol is still left.

The beauty of Buddhism is in its forgiveness. There's no sin but skillful and unskilful thoughts and acts. And it gives a map or at least a solid manual to follow. You don't need to walk alone that road, and for instance I have found your comments helpful and insightful, karasti.

Robot: Mirtazapine and many other medications have been tested. Mirtazapine caused strange kind of dizziness I didn't like.

"Care must be taken with medications, as side effects may be more common and harder to evaluate in individuals with AS, and tests of drugs' effectiveness against comorbid conditions routinely exclude individuals from the autism spectrum.[79] Abnormalities in metabolism, cardiac conduction times, and an increased risk of type 2 diabetes have been raised as concerns with these medications,[84][85] along with serious long-term neurological side effects.[81] SSRIs can lead to manifestations of behavioral activation such as increased impulsivity, aggression, and sleep disturbance."

lobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Pöljä said: My anxiety is chronic and it cannot be totally cured (doctors say).

I've found samatha meditation quite helpful for chronic anxiety.

lobsterPöljäShoshinEarthninja
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@inyo;

"Free won't"

I like that.

Vastmind
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

@inyo yes, I agree. I like how TNH talks about it in his mindfulness trainings. EVERYTHING we consume, including with our eyes and ears and mind can cause us significant troubles just as much as alcohol and other things can. What we put into our bodies in all way affects us down to a very basic cellular level.

silverPöljäinyo
  • robotrobot Veteran

The thing to remember is that alcohol is addictive. If you are not actively trying to reduce the amount you're imbibing, you run the risk of the amount steadily increasing.
    The same is true with pot as I know from experience. Every few years I tend to take it up for a while. Each time I know that I'll have to struggle with it to put it down again, but sometimes I feel like I need a break from being sober. Twice it's happened in the past 25 years.
    One thing I've noticed is that it's more the smoking of it than the high that is addicting. The high is actually annoying after awhile. Then the coughing starts and it's time to stop.

VastmindJeffrey
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@robot said:
    The thing to remember is that alcohol is addictive. If you are not actively trying to reduce the amount you're imbibing, you run the risk of the amount steadily increasing.
    The same is true with pot as I know from experience. Every few years I tend to take it up for a while. Each time I know that I'll have to struggle with it to put it down again, but sometimes I feel like I need a break from being sober. Twice it's happened in the past 25 years.
    One thing I've noticed is that it's more the smoking of it than the high that is addicting. The high is actually annoying after awhile. Then the coughing starts and it's time to stop.

When I'd notice that I'd quit for 2 weeks. Worked every time, lol.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

I love cherry pickers!

lobsterKundo
  • robotrobot Veteran

@vinlyn said:
    I love cherry pickers!

It's the beauty of never taking anyone else's precepts. Nothing to live up to.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

I actually mean it when I say I love cherry pickers.
    But, the Five Basic Precepts are hardly "anyone else's precepts".

lobster
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited July 2015

@vinlyn said:
    I actually mean it when I say I love cherry pickers.
    But, the Five Basic Precepts are hardly "anyone else's precepts"

Yes they do make sense. So do the 10 commandments. I guess I know what's best for me.
    Up here the cherry pickers are mostly French Canadians, or used to be, God love them. Especially the women.

• nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

@karasti said:
    Narcotics are even worse. I won't take them.

Funny how drugs and alcohol are so different for everyone. Narcotics don't make me feel good, or invincible, nor do they really have much effect on my pain. How they do effect me is that they make me pass out. That's it. So I just avoid them if I have to drive, and the only real benefit they have is that they knock me out if pain is preventing me from sleeping.

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

@Mingle said:
    Had a rather heavy drinking session the other day as it was my 26th bday and I drunk ALOT. I even missed my before bed meditation and now I am paying the price. Since then my meditation has been very difficult as I've had almost zero breath concentration. Do many of you guys still like to drink? How does it effect your practice?

I still drink on occasion - a couple of beers or glasses of wine here and there, mainly as a social thing rather than to aim to get sauced.

I don't even attempt to meditate when I'm tipsy. Ride my bicycle, sure, but not meditate. :wink:

Zenshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Having to deal with monkey mind is bad enough, but there's nothing worse than a sloshed monkey at the steering will[wheel]

KundoToshmmo