Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Questioning ones faith

ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
edited April 2011 in Buddhism Basics
I have been practicing and researching buddhism now for over 2 years. My meditation is probably the worse section second to attachments. It has helped with certain aspects in my life, but I may be losing my faith a little. I never have any motivation or determination to meditate often, or for along amount of time for that matter. I have never had a deep deep meditation and I am questioning things.. Is buddhism for me?

Comments

• MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    What are you questioning? Buddhism isn't really about "faith" from what I know.
  • beingbeing Veteran
    edited April 2011
    If you are looking for something to believe in, then probably yes, Buddhism might not be for you.
    If you are not willing to really investigate the meaning of Buddhism, then I don't see how you could hope for it to help you. By investigating I mean really putting it into practice. Give up your attachments just like that, firmly. Stop fooling around with your taperings and giving yourself new excuses to continue abusing substances. Just do it - just firmly say no to yourself any time you feel like escaping by popping another pill. Eventually you would no longer feel this need. The only one that's stopping you, is yourself letting this go on.

But of course unless you can really see the harm it's causing you, you will not see a reason to quit it. It can be hard to really see clearly, when you're constantly intoxicated.

There's no easy way out and it has been hard for every practitioner. ^___^
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    Hi Tom,

You can question: Is Buddhism for me? Am I doing it right? Should I go on? Is enlightenment possible or is it a hoax? But all that doesn't get you anywhere. You can not know all of this. But the only thing you can know for sure is that there's doubt. ;)

I think we've all had periods like this. At times doubt is the main experience in or mind, it certainly takes faith to keep going. Faith is actually one of the faculties in the mind that is to be trained. Not only faith in the practice, but also faith in yourself. A good teacher can help you with this or you can find some inspiration by others. Recently we've had this thread which can be motivating. Also reflecting on past good experiences with the dhamma can help you or reading words by the Buddha to generate faith.

But don't expect results too soon. Meditation takes time. Nobody sits down and gets deep just like that. But remember that the meditation sessions which are struggling are the ones you learn most. Some people think they can build a house without a foundation, likewise some people think they can have good meditation without first laying the basis. This is not wise. It takes daily practice to really train your mind properly before it can start building the deeper states. The more you meditate, the easier it gets.

I hope you can find some inspiration/faith to keep practicing. Results will come if you stick with the practice, I'm absolutely sure about that.

With metta,
    Sabre
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Tom -- Buddhism as practice may require a lot of things, but perhaps the most important is patience. Patience with yourself. Patience with your practice. Patience with the expectations. Patience with the impatience.

Is Buddhism for you? Only you can say. Is Buddhism not for you? Only you can say. Sometimes it just takes patience to come up with the answer that satisfies you. So ... try to exercise some patience.

What is unknown takes patience. But what really takes patience is what is known.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Perhaps you need to decide what "level" of practicing Buddhism is "right" for you.

You don't have to sit around and attempt to meditate hours of every day...or you can. I would say at the most basic level, try to accomplish the Noble Eightfold Path consistently. And as you are, be really mindful of the way in which you are doing that. That alone will be a major accomplishment.

You know, it may be like reading a self-help book. Is it wise to read the whole book and attempt to tackle it all at once, or is it better to read one chapter and tackle that before moving on to the next chapter?
  • I have been practicing and researching buddhism now for over 2 years. My meditation is probably the worse section second to attachments. It has helped with certain aspects in my life, but I may be losing my faith a little. I never have any motivation or determination to meditate often, or for along amount of time for that matter. I have never had a deep deep meditation and I am questioning things.. Is buddhism for me?
    Dear Tom
    One of the most disheartening aspects of Buddhism forums, in my opinions, is the emphasis on the so called #oh so deeeep#

Deeeeep meditation experiences
    Deeeeep insights
    Deeeeep life

But really at the end of the day, how useful is deep when we just have to live our life. This does not mean that there are not different understandings that may come along, but that in Buddhism, our emphasis is just on practice, on living, on your life everyday as you know it. It is not apart from your life so that means so long as you are practicing, you are not failing, or not not reaching what others may put up as standards to reach.

I think it is natural to come to a point of questioning and natural even to lose faith sometimes, take heart you are not alone.

Take it slowly again when you are ready, start with five minutes a day, no expectations, just sitting with whatever is, and the reality of whatever you experience IS sufficient.

Well wishes
    Abu

• I have been practicing and researching buddhism now for over 2 years. My meditation is probably the worse section second to attachments. It has helped with certain aspects in my life, but I may be losing my faith a little. I never have any motivation or determination to meditate often, or for along amount of time for that matter. I have never had a deep deep meditation and I am questioning things.. Is buddhism for me?
    Most lay Buddhists in the world do very little meditation, comparatively, and manage to have a satisfactory practice. Abu is right, that people get focused on achieving some deep spiritual, meditative, or mind experience and then end up frustrated.

I have sat Zen maybe thirty years now and never had that "deep, deep meditation". I have occasionally fallen asleep, and once when I jerked back awake the group was laughing, saying I'd snored. But deep, altered consciousness meditation is not what Zen looks for. We look for a Clear Mind, otherwise known as Original Mind.

Perhaps its just time to shift the focus of your practice.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Abu is right, that people get focused on achieving some deep spiritual, meditative, or mind experience and then end up frustrated.
    For sure, Abu would certainly be an authority on this

Many look upon Buddhism like when they go shopping in a department store. They see all the merchandise that glitters and think: "Give me four of those jhanas, two of those Nibbanas and six of those clear light minds, thank you, gift wrapped, with a pink ribbon".

Or they look upon gurus like underwear models or even prostitutes: "If am i nice to you or i give you money, can you enlighten me!"

Spiritual materialism is like this, packaging the teachings to appeal to people's desires or cravings.

But the Buddha did not teach like this. The Buddha focused on dukkha & causes, in order to eradicate the causes.

:mullet:
  • Is buddhism for me?
    What do you hope to get out of it?
  • My lack of faith is the reason I'm a Buddhist. Buddhism doesn't ask you to take anything on faith - quite the opposite. The Buddha teaches us to basically question everything.
    edited April 2011
    Is buddhism for me?
    hi Tom

Buddhism is a good path although the path of meditation is not a walk in the park. Meditation requires a grounding in the five precepts. You have often shared your challenges with the forum here. My opinion is it is best to focus on those specfic challenges, using whatever means you can to overcome them. To progress with meditation, abiding in each precept is an essential foundation.

May you find & abide in well-being

DD :)

• SabreSabre Veteran
    Many look upon Buddhism like when they go shopping in a department store. They see all the merchandise that glitters and think: "Give me four of those jhanas, two of those Nibbanas and six of those clear light minds, thank you, gift wrapped, with a pink ribbon".

:D :thumbsup:

One of the most disheartening aspects of Buddhism forums, in my opinions, is the emphasis on the so called #oh so deeeep#

Deeeeep insights
    Deeeeep life

But really at the end of the day, how useful is deep when we just have to live our life. This does not mean that there are not different understandings that may come along, but that in Buddhism, our emphasis is just on practice, on living, on your life everyday as you know it. It is not apart from your life so that means so long as you are practicing, you are not failing, or not not reaching what others may put up as standards to reach.

I think it is natural to come to a point of questioning and natural even to lose faith sometimes, take heart you are not alone.

Take it slowly again when you are ready, start with five minutes a day, no expectations, just sitting with whatever is, and the reality of whatever you experience IS sufficient.

I think you make a very good point here. It sort of goes back to the old saying that, "The most fervent follower of _______ is the convert." (Fill in the blank with any religion you wish). And, of course, virtually everyone in this forum is a convert.

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011

I think you make a very good point here. It sort of goes back to the old saying that, "The most fervent follower of _______ is the convert." (Fill in the blank with any religion you wish). And, of course, virtually everyone in this forum is a convert.

Maybe, just maybe.. there are some who genuinely wish others to be happy?

:D
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Simple cause and effect my friend if you are unwilling to let go of laziness of attachment to samsara or put some time and more effort into meditation you wont see any effects beyond a temporary calm. To develop a faith in something you have to examine the object throughly and see its good qualities, The problem is though if you meditate for something of 5 mins a day once a week then you can expect very little change seeing as we occupy most of our day futhering our delusions.

Is Buddhism for you...?
    It depends if you want to put some effort into practising or not one can receive all the Dharma teachings they want but if we dont act upon them we gain nothing.

Good luck Tom ! :)

• I have sat Zen maybe thirty years now and never had that "deep, deep meditation". I have occasionally fallen asleep, and once when I jerked back awake the group was laughing, saying I'd snored. But deep, altered consciousness meditation is not what Zen looks for. We look for a Clear Mind, otherwise known as Original Mind.

Perhaps its just time to shift the focus of your practice.
    Hi Cinorjr

I just wanted to clarify that there can be determined, ongoing practice but as Ajahn Sumedho also teaches, it is not a particular experience we are after, but the understandings that can arise can be found amongst daily life experiences, and just through very simple meditations. :)

Best wishes,
    Abu

• One of the most disheartening aspects of Buddhism forums, in my opinions, is the emphasis on the so called #oh so deeeep#

Deeeeep insights
    Deeeeep life

Well as a buddy said, everyone needs hand holds for a while.
    And as Gautama taught, Buddhism is a raft to cross the shores only. No point carrying the raft on your back after that. Always grateful for the pointers though.

Best wishes,
    Abu
  • Buddhism isn't faith based, but if you want to advance some determination is needed.

It doesn't have to be about Buddhism all the time; you can focus on other activities if now you don't feel determined enough.
  • Continue _/\_
    Buddhism isn't faith based, but if you want to advance some determination is needed.

It doesn't have to be about Buddhism all the time; you can focus on other activities if now you don't feel determined enough.
    The Dhamma is the exact word of Buddha. That's faith-based.
    During enlightenment, Buddha obtained all knowledge. That's faith-based.
    Karma. To a large extent, faith-based.
    Nibanna. Faith-based.

Don't get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with faith, except when one does not realize it's faith and not fact.

• FenixFenix Veteran
    I have sat Zen maybe thirty years now and never had that "deep, deep meditation". I have occasionally fallen asleep, and once when I jerked back awake the group was laughing, saying I'd snored. But deep, altered consciousness meditation is not what Zen looks for.
    is this common?
  • :thumbsup: to all the answers.

Thank you.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    Good topic for one of my favorite songs!

• Buddhism isn't faith based, but if you want to advance some determination is needed.

Really ?

"The Pāli suttas (scriptures) list faith as one of seven treasures (dhanas), one of five spiritual faculties (indriyas), one of four "streams of merit", and one of the spiritual powers (balas).
    Gyatrul (b.1924)[4], in a commentary on the work of Chagmé (Wylie: Kar-ma Chags-med, fl. 17th century), rendered into English by Wallace states:[5]
    By the power of faith, we are able to eliminate the two types of obscurations.[6] Through the power of faith both ontological and phenomenological knowledge arises. It is also by the power of faith that both the common and uncommon siddhis arise."

Taken from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faith_in_Buddhism

Metta to all sentient beings

• Look at it like this: "Faith is not belief without proof, but trust without reservation".
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011
    This is just a mix-up of faith and belief. This happens more often, and is quite understandable. But if I were to say: "Keep faith in yourself! I really believe you can do it.", then suddenly we see Buddhism is about both and it just depends on how you interpret the terms.

And Tom (and of course all others), I have faith in your ability to learn to apply the dhamma in your life. I understood you are still young so you probably have many years to go. Don't give up :) We are in this together.

May all beings live happily. :)

Sabre
  • I relate faith to dogma...
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Hi Vincenzi,

If seen like that, than Buddhism is not about faith, indeed. As I said, depends on how you interpret the words. But it's about whats behind words. I think faith -usual interpretation- is a good thing. We all had to have had some faith of there being something more to life when coming to Buddhism. It's not like we think, love, meditation and accumulating wisdom don't mean anything. We have some faith in the results of them. Sometimes we lose this faith, however. That's when doubt takes over, a dangerous thing that can even turn monks back to lay-life. But it's just a mind-faculty. It will pass. :)

I personally prefer to call what you are referring to with dogma, blind faith. Some may have blind faith in Buddhism, just like others have blind faith that they'll get 72 virgins when flying a plane into a building. But this is not wise. Who wants 72 virgins anyway? You'll get totally crazy because of all the chatter. :D Blind faith stops us from looking further, and obviously that is not what Buddhism is about.

I wish us all a lot of faith, especially in our own capacity to wake up. :)

With metta,
    Sabre
  • Does it feel right to you?
    What is the alternative?
    Even if nothing happens but if you think you are on the right path,
    continue.
    Or, try to abandon it n try sth else.
  • I have sat Zen maybe thirty years now and never had that "deep, deep meditation". I have occasionally fallen asleep, and once when I jerked back awake the group was laughing, saying I'd snored. But deep, altered consciousness meditation is not what Zen looks for.
    is this common?
    Yes, what's most important in sitting Zen is the koan work, and Satori or Samadhi usually comes unplanned and unbidden and often during everyday activity, not during formal sitting Zen. Every instance I have experienced that would be seen as Samadhi by the Teachers came in rare moments of clarity while going about my daily life. While Samadhi is a recognized feeling of joy and peace as a result of breaking through to clear mind, the Zen Teachers also see getting stuck in this altered state as Zen Sickness. The Samadhi should pass naturally, and what remains is Clear Mind or Everyday Mind, not a mind barely functioning because it's floating on a cloud of joy.

But my most important breakthroughs were slow, gradual and as gentle as a flower unfolding. They were as unremarkable as waking from a restful sleep. So, everyone is different.

• That's faith-based. Isnt everything faith=based?

How do you know your mom is your biological mom? That's faith-based.
    How do you know men went to the moon? That's faith-based.
    Buddhism isn't faith based, but if you want to advance some determination is needed.

Nibanna. Faith-based.

Don't get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with faith, except when one does not realize it's faith and not fact.

edited April 2011
    And as Gautama taught, Buddhism is a raft to cross the shores only. No point carrying the raft on your back after that.
    Sure. But the raft is used to cross the shore.

It serves no use talking about letting the raft go when we have not even crossed the shore.

This is mere conjecture about the future.

Some of us are yet to use the raft in the present yet we engage in conjecture about letting the raft go in the future.

:)

edited April 2011
    Continue _/\_
    Buddhism certainly relies on faith. The Buddha advised faith (saddha) is the first of the five spiritual faculties (indriya) and powers (bala).

There are at least two kinds of faith, namely, blind faith & bright (wise) faith.

Blind faith includes many things, including blindly believing Buddhism isn't faith based.

Buddhism is not about blind determination, blindly believing one will advance by gross efforts such as sitting in ZaZen without moving; by diving into a river without a paddle.

To advance requires skilful subtle means, including having faith or conviction in the Buddha's instructions.

The Buddha taught the condition for determination (viriya) is faith (saddha).

The five powers are faith, determination, mindfulness, concentration & wisdom.

They all work together, as a team.

Determination is not blindly meditating without skilful means, like hitting one's head constantly against a brick wall, believing one will knock it down & see daylight

:banghead:
    That's faith-based. Isnt everything faith=based?

Nibanna. Faith-based.

You're carrying it too far, frankly, because (IMHO) you're falling into the dogma trap.

I've seen my birth certificate. I've personally talked to relatives who were at the hospital where I was born. High degree of confidence. On the other hand, 2,500 years have passed since Buddha said whatever he said -- which was not written down at the time.

edited April 2011
    Nibanna. Faith-based.

:eek2:

The Dhamma is the insight of Buddha, to be verified by each practitioner

Karma is the effect of one's actions, speech & thoughts, to be experienced by each practitioner

Nibbana is the peace of mind when greed, hatred & delusion end, to be tasted by each practitioner

edited April 2011
    I've seen my birth certificate. I've personally talked to relatives who were at the hospital where I was born. High degree of confidence. On the other hand, 2,500 years have passed since Buddha said whatever he said -- which was not written down at the time.
    You have simply declared here you have not had the same experiences & view of reality that is recorded in the scriptures, that is all.

:wow:
    You have simply declared here you have not had the same experiences & view of reality that is recorded in the scriptures, that is all.

:wow:
    No, that's what you say I've said.
  • OK :)
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    No, that's what you say I've said.
    haha :)
    Just to make it clear what I think about the Dhamma: I think it's a document that is full of wisdom and great lessons for life. I think that it is probably greatly influenced by what Buddha taught.

To say that it is the exact teachings of Buddha...well, I won't say it's impossible, but to my mind that would suppose a supernatural influence on men who passed the teachings on for several hundred years and many generations before it was written down.

Everyone is free to believe what they want. But I can appreciate much of the wisdom in the Dhamma whether it is the exact teachings of Buddha or paraphrased to one degree or another.
  • Don't try too hard to be perfect. Accept where you're at and ask yourself what you want to change, then work on it slowly from there. Buddhism is about the path we take, and not the instant results. So just try to enjoy where you're going wherever it may lead and take it one day at a time.
    If you try to hard to completely immerse yourself in perfectionism, then you are going to feel overwhelmed and disappointed in yourself.
    When I first got into Buddhism, I got real nerdy and made a least of everything I wanted to achieve... and wow... I was really enthusiastic and way ahead of myself. I got burned out and even fell away from practice for awhile.
    Just make a list, and only highlight two things that you want to change the most, then work on those first.
  • I take refuge in the one who became enlightened.

I take refuge in the way he taught to become enlightened or to reduce or alleviate suffering.

I take refuge in others like me who are struggling like me to understand the above.

So what's not to believe in? Do your best. That's all one can do in this life.

Be well, Tom.
  • People have asked what do I not believe in... Well, it is commonly known that not everyone can be a buddhist. In accordance with mental disposition you may find yourself in a certain religion. Maybe I am being too hasty and lacking in patience/motivation.

Thank you for your comments though, some of them are inspiring and I will keep on reading this topic if it stays alive :)

Also, back to the meditation. I think it is a lot harder whilst on valium, ye I cannot abruptly stop valium as I may have a seizure and or die, but I will try the same.
  • Who wrote your birth certificate?
    How do you know your relatives are not lying to protect you?
    I can buy a birth cert for $5000.

It just means that you have faith in the birth cert & your
    relatives.
    High degree of confidence, I agree.
    But its still based on faith.

That's faith-based. Isnt everything faith=based?

Nibanna. Faith-based.

You're carrying it too far, frankly, because (IMHO) you're falling into the dogma trap.

Who wrote your birth certificate?
    How do you know your relatives are not lying to protect you?
    I can buy a birth cert for $5000.

It just means that you have faith in the birth cert & your
    relatives.
    High degree of confidence, I agree.
    But its still based on faith.

Certainly you know the implied definition of "faith" when you're on a religious forum.

• Faith can mean many things.
    Here we are talking about why we believe certain things
    and do not believe certain things.
  • Faith can mean many things.
    Here we are talking about why we believe certain things to be true
    and do not believe certain things.
  • I am boycotting this discussion on the grounds that it has turned into something I do not wish to talk about. Blind faith, I never mentioned blind faith, I meant the faith of the word of the buddha, if it is correct for me because it is obvious it is not for everyone. Keep your little discussions ongoing by all means :) metta
  • Certainly you know the implied definition of "faith" when you're on a religious forum.
    In Buddhism, faith (saddha) forms the fundamental basis of every action we do in life, including posting on this forum or going to the toilet. For example, if we did not have the faith the toilet would support our body, we would not sit on it.

It is best to not drag "Christian" baggage into this thread.

The Buddha & his Sangha are examples of well-being & happiness. It follows they and what they teach are objects of faith & confidence.

Kind regards

Certainly you know the implied definition of "faith" when you're on a religious forum.
    In Buddhism, faith (saddha) forms the fundamental basis of every action we do in life, including posting on this forum or going to the toilet. For example, if we did not have the faith the toilet would support our body, we would not sit on it.

It is best to not drag "Christian" baggage into this thread.

The Buddha & his Sangha are examples of well-being & happiness. It follows they and what they teach are objects of faith & confidence.

Kind regards

1. I don't think it's appropriate to lump confidence about a toilet with faith in the Buddha and the Sangha.

2. I've noticed OFTEN that when you talk down to someone you often close with something like "Kind regards" and an internet smile. Put together, that is not, in my view, "right speech".