Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

meditation for animals?

Seeker567Seeker567 Explorer
edited April 2011 in Meditation
So there is a training method for dogs called zen. It's basically where you put a treat out to the side of you, and you dog needs to look at you to get it. And eventually you elongate the time of eye contact and such. Could this be considered a form of meditation for dogs? lol

Comments

• No. Maybe next life.
  • so animals need just action alone to decide their next life?
  • It's basically impossible to train an animal to meditate, at this stage. But when I volunteered as a dog trainer in a local pound, we used to do something which is kind of sort of like samatha meditation. Basically, you reward the animal any time their behavior indicates they're relaxing (slowed breathing, sitting or lying down, etc.) Doing this twenty minutes a day really calms a dog down. We did it to increase their adoptability.
  • Ever watch a frog on a lily pad or a turtle on a rock? What do you think they're doing?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I wouldn't like to guess.
    Is this a quiz...?
  • What do you think they're doing?
    If you mean to imply they're doing anything which could lead to awakening, you don't know what you're talking about.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    My cat likes to sit by me sometimes while I meditate, I think she's just chillin out though. :) I think the karma to be reborn as a human is ethical discipline so maybe by training your pet to behave nicely you can help it be reborn a human. Thats what I like to tell myself anyway
  • It's a good question.

My dog died last October at the age of 17, and he had a really great life. He was loved, he was free, and he was taken care of. He was also extremely good-natured and happy.

Which leads to the idea that most humans do not encounter such conditions.... My dog's karma was more positive than alot of humans' karma now.... Killing each other and such.

Some humans seem further away from waking up than some animals is all I'm saying. Or at least, it seems like my dog was making better use of his mind faculties by just being, whereas some humans don't even seem to notice they can even work with their minds.

Either way, may all animals and humans know the roots of happiness, sooner rather than later.... And may they be liberated by it.

Be well,

Tim
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    It's a good question.

My dog died last October at the age of 17, and he had a really great life. He was loved, he was free, and he was taken care of. He was also extremely good-natured and happy.

Which leads to the idea that most humans do not encounter such conditions.... My dog's karma was more positive than alot of humans' karma now.... Killing each other and such.

Some humans seem further away from waking up than some animals is all I'm saying. Or at least, it seems like my dog was making better use of his mind faculties by just being, whereas some humans don't even seem to notice they can even work with their minds.

Either way, may all animals and humans know the roots of happiness, sooner rather than later.... And may they be liberated by it.

Be well,

Tim
    In the Lamrim tradition we are told to reflect on the preciousness of having a human life. While certainly some animals have very happy lives and are very kind and well behaved they don't have the ablility to decide how they live their lives. We as humans have an intellect that is capable of using reason and awareness to overcome our habitual tendencies, thats what makes a human life so valuable.

• How can you look at a cat like this and not assume that they are meditating?

• Hey that's the eye contact game. You use it as a precursor to teach your dog to look to you for cues and direction. It also lengthens their attention span. Our trainer had us teach our puppies that game, before teaching them sit, stay etc. I must brag a little and say that my dog Murph is the eye contact zen master. He has grown into a very patient dog, and can still out-wait the other 3 dogs on a stay command. I tried it with my cat... and she gave me the cat butt walkaway. Apparently she will stare deeply into my eyes when she feels like it... and won't be performing for treats.
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited April 2011
    These monkeys are experiencing insight, honest

With Metta
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited April 2011
    And don't tell me your dog cannot meditate, you just have to feed it the right food. I mean my dogs never felt better since I changed it's diet to vegetarian :om:

With Metta
  • This thread tickled me. :D I like the idea.
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    man, those monkeys look relaxed :om: