Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Suffering in Buddhism

edited April 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Hello! Recently I was talking to a friend of mine about the first of the Four Noble Truths, which is that "Life is Suffering". My friend didn't agree with me that life in its entirety is suffering, and argued the opposite:

"There is a lot of happiness in life, couldn't happiness also be argued that way?"

I then found myself wondering about this. What ABOUT the happiness in life? Is that excluded? I'm not exactly sure I understand, really. I know that suffering is caused by the Ego, and the self, so, I understand it that far. (Or perhaps I have the wrong idea?) And then just a few minutes ago, I came across this video about a man who converted from Buddhism to Islam and his reasons for doing so...

http://www.youtube.com/embed/C-c9d97wtXg

I feel as though he's wrong in this approach...

Thoughts?

Comments

• I don't think the first precept states this.
    Maybe your thinking of the four noble truths ?

With Metta

With Metta
    I edited it. :D

• zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited April 2011
    The precepts can be taken in positive form also, here are the ten precepts from the FWBO. I should say that most lay Buddhists try to obey only five.

Negative Form
    I undertake the item of training which consists in
    abstention from killing living beings.
    abstention from taking the not-given.
    abstention from sexual misconduct.
    abstention from false speech.
    abstention from harsh speech.
    abstention from frivolous speech.
    abstention from slanderous speech.
    abstention from covetousness.
    abstention from hatred.
    abstention from false views

Positive form
    With deeds of loving-kindness
    I purify my body.
    With open-handed generosity
    I purify my body.
    With stillness, simplicity, and contentment
    I purify my body.
    With truthful communication
    I purify my speech.
    With words kindly and gracious
    I purify my speech.
    With utterance helpful.
    I purify my speech.
    With utterance harmonious.
    I purify my speech.
    Abandoning covetousness for tranquillity
    I purify my mind.
    Changing hatred into compassion
    I purify my mind.
    Transforming ignorance into wisdom
    I purify my mind.

With Metta
    edited April 2011
    I don't think the first precept states this.

With Metta
    I edited it. :D

Sorry I was too quick of the mark :nyah:

• That's okay! :) That's a lovely way to look at the precepts, though! I will certainly keep that in mind within my practices!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Of course there's happiness in life, Buddhism doesn't deny that, e.g., see this and this.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Hello! Recently I was talking to a friend of mine about the first of the Four Noble Truths, which is that "Life is Suffering". My friend didn't agree with me that life in its entirety is suffering, and argued the opposite:

"There is a lot of happiness in life, couldn't happiness also be argued that way?"
    No emotion is permanent. Sadness is temporary, and sadness is suffering.
    happiness is temporary, and the fact that the happiness ends - is suffering.
    we can transcend this suffering by understanding, accepting and realising that things are simply as they are, because they are simply as they are.
    Accepting that Life is up and down, knowing that life is up and down, and that if we achieve stability, by following the Eightfold path, we can be like a lighthouse, solid, dependable and illuminated, come rain, storm, calm or shine - then we will have overcome the First Noble Truth.

Simple.

• "Suffering" is a confusing translation. There is always struggle. Even in happiness, there is fear of the inevitable separation from the happy circumstance.
    edited April 2011
    The guy in the video has totally misunderstood the four noble truths. First of all the first noble truth does not mean that life is suffering, this is of course not true, everyone who has lived has been happy at some time or another. The first noble truth means life is unsatisfactory in that, we are not always happy or sad, I mean we can be happy but we know it will not last it is impermanent just as when we are unhappy it is impermanent it will not last, so in this sense life is unsatisfactory, this is what I understand the first noble truth to be.

With Metta
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Suffering is maybe not the right translation for dukkha because it is usually linked with states of pain / depression and all that. A lot of teachers therefore translate it with unsatisfactoriness instead. I think that fits the description better, but of course it is still just a word. It's not like suffering is a totally wrong translation, depending on your interpretation of the word you could say, yes, life is suffering.

Happiness isn't everlasting and that's why it is also unsatisfactory, won't give you peace forever. You can only really see this in the context of no-self. The unique thing about Buddhism is that it teaches that happiness isn't your happiness. It is just happiness, that's all. Nothing to cling to. If it isn't your happiness, how can that be satisfying for all eternity? It can't. Because you can't control it.

The Buddha saw this and saw clinging to even the highest states of happiness was not the end of suffering. So the end of suffering is not happiness, the end of suffering is also not the "annihilation of the self"-as in the video, the end of suffering is the ending of craving, including the craving for happiness.

I think this is a wonderfully solid argumentation. With all respect, the guy in the video sounds like he changed his truth to fit him instead of the other way around. He doesn't like impermanence, so he follows a religion that teaches permanence. Fine with me, but if I look around me I see nothing permanent anywhere.
  • edited April 2011
    As well as 'suffering', alternative translations of dukkha are 'unsatisfactoriness', 'discontent' and 'not getting what one wants'.

• It would be interesting to know how long the guy on the video was a Buddhist for, not long it seems, I reckon he was reading an autocue.

Just a thought :rolleyes:

With Metta
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I think that Buddhism, as a means to endure and end suffering is very logical, although we are not really sure about things such as nibanna...and can't know until it occurs.

What I often wonder, however, is if Buddha's teaching is not somewhat limited to certain aspects of life. It doesn't seem as if Buddhism answers all of the great questions mankind has always asked.

And so, I tend to look at Buddhism as a means of handling one aspect of life (suffering), with some guidelines to living all of life. But I don't see it as having all the answers.
  • edited April 2011
    My friend, you raise a very good point. A lot of people nowadays misunderstand the Buddha's teachings, and they use them incorrectly. Instead of understanding that the Buddha taught a path of peace and liberty, they try to use his teachings as tools of inner war fare, and thus becomes the modern day emphasis on suffering, along with the heavy, dreary, philosophical meanderings. The truth is that yes, life is very, very beautiful indeed. When the Buddha was a youth living in the palace his father enforced on him nothing but sensual pleasures, and led him to believe that everything in life was perfect and that the Bodhisatta had nothing to worry about ever. But as you probably know, the Buddha grew up and learned that in fact life is not as perfect as his father painted it to be, and that in fact, if one is to assume that life is so perfect, and get wrapped up in sensual pleasures then they will certainly be walking down a path which will lead to suffering. Thus came to be the first noble truth, that in fact in life there is suffering. I suppose that the best way to clear this up would be to reiterate what the first noble truth actually means. The Buddha did not teach that life is exclusively suffering, in fact he spent his whole life teaching that it is possible to attain a pleasant abiding in the here and now. The Buddha in fact said that the first noble truth is that 'in life there is suffering.' With this first noble truth established, he went on to find a way to transcend that suffering. But in order to do that he had to discover what the cause of that suffering was. Thus came to be the second noble truth, that the cause of suffering is craving. With the third noble truth established the Buddha saw that upon the removal of craving, the cessation of suffering occurred. And with the third noble truth established as thus, there came to be the fourth noble truth, that the way leading to the cessation of suffering is the noble eightfold path, and that was the path the the Buddha followed up until his awakening. I hope that cleared a little up for you. Good luck, my friend. :):)
  • the Four Noble Truths, which is that "Life is Suffering".
    I have not gained this impression from the Four Noble Truths.

As for the man in video, he does not understand Buddhism well.

Suffering is the dis-ease your mind experiences.

I can only suggest the meaning of suffering can be found by looking into your heart & mind

kind regards

:)

• CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited April 2011

I then found myself wondering about this. What ABOUT the happiness in life? Is that excluded? I'm not exactly sure I understand, really. I know that suffering is caused by the Ego, and the self, so, I understand it that far. (Or perhaps I have the wrong idea?) And then just a few minutes ago, I came across this video about a man who converted from Buddhism to Islam and his reasons for doing so...

Thoughts?
    I commend you for comprehending enough to know something is wrong with what this Abdur-Raheem Green guy is saying about Buddhism, even though you need some more work on the Noble Truths yourself.

First, this man in the video, from what I can find on his own facebook site, "followed Buddhism" for a couple of years while going to college in London, without actually formally embracing it. His words seem to indicate he read a couple of books in the college library and misunderstood half of that. So he has no more idea of what Buddhism is about than the Christian preachers who think they're experts on Islam because they've read about it. So forget him. Instant experts are a dime a dozen.

Now as to your problem with the Noble Truths. Would you believe, you got it wrong? That half the websites and books you read get it wrong? The problem is, nowhere does the Buddha say "Life is Suffering". That's the thumbnail translation of a very profound statement the First Noble Truth actually states, and gets it completely wrong. Some nimrod of a translator way back when decided to translate Dukkha as "Suffering" and it stuck. Actually, there is no one English word, because in context it means unsatisfying, the cause of unhappiness, and yes, sometimes pain and suffering. Actually, Dukkha is the simple antonym of "sweet" so we can say "Life is Bitter."

And the biggest, biggest error people make is thinking the First Noble Truth is making some grand cosmic metaphysical statement about life, the universe, and everything. It's not! All of life is not suffering! What a dismal, dreary, nihilistic philosophy that would be. "Life's a bitch and then you die." Of course your friend disagreed. So do you, in the way your friend thought you meant it. The Noble Truth is not an absolute statement of reality, it's an observation of personal experience. It is saying, the problem is not that we have to figure out the correct God to worship, or how to please the God we do worship. The problem is that no matter what we do, what God we worship, how rich and powerful we are, it's not enough. It's Dukkha.

So if we aren't saying that the entirety of existence is one big suffering session, what part of our lives is the problem? "Giving birth is Dukkha, aging is Dukkha, sickness is Dukkha, being separated from what you love is Dukkha, not to get what one wants is Dukkha: in short the five categories affected by clinging are Dukkha.

Dukkha is to be understood. Then we can go on to the Second Noble Truth. The cause of Dukka.

Hope this helps.

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Dear SkyLotus,

Besides from seeing it in relation with non-self, the statement 'life is dukkha' also makes much more sense if you see it in another wider view. That means, if you look at this statement in relation to rebirth. It gives all the four truths a much more profound meaning if you ask me. In relation to one life they just don't make that much sense.

About the first truth - dukkha: The life you have now might be quite nice. Living in a Western country, having what you want, it all doesn't seem like suffering. But imagine life after life after life of this.. eventually it will get quite boring and you can see it is actually dukkha, suffering, unsatisfying. Even a life of almost perfect happiness will be subject to this because it will end one day.

Now of course you don't have to belief rebirth to see some dukkha, but to understand the full meaning of it I think the bigger picture is useful. At the very least it makes the first noble truths more meaningful at a philosophical level.

May all beings be free of suffering,

Sabre

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    There have been several good posts on the notion that what Buddhists really mean by "suffering" is unsatisfactoriness, so I don't want to rehash any of that. There's another angle to this too, that of the three levels of suffering. Here's a link to a concise explanation:

http://luminousemptiness.blogspot.com/2006/05/three-types-of-suffering.html

In brief though, it's taught that there are 3 levels of suffering.

-1) The suffering of suffering: This is the obvious suffering of hunger, injury, mental anguish, etc. that we all know.

-2) The suffering of change: This is the notion that what we call pleasurable experiences are really just a reduction of our previously suffering state. For example if we're working in the hot sun and we dive into a cool lake. This feels to us like happiness but its really just a reduction of our previously suffering state. Its not a true source of happiness because if we stay in too long we'll eventually become cold and need to warm up again in the hot sun.

-3) All pervasive suffering: This is a very subtle level of suffering that occurs simply because we have a body and mind. Its like having a house, eventually something will break and need to be fixed. This type of suffering can only be relieved by liberation.
  • edited April 2011
    Hi Skylotus,

This is how I understand the Four Noble Truths:

1. ISSUE: Dukkha
    2. CAUSE: Craving
    3. SOLUTION: Letting go of Craving
    4. METHOD: Noble Eightfold Path

Sometimes people misunderstood the teaching and criticize the teaching based on their personal interpretation of it , and not the teaching itself. He is not the first one to give the distortion about self annihilation. It is the cessation of Greed,Hatred, Delusion, not yourself.

General Siha was recorded asking the Buddha about this, because his teacher from another sect told him not to go see the Buddha and that he teaches annihilation. This is what is in the conversation:

When he was sitting near him, Siha, the general, said to the Blessed One:

" I have heard , Lord, that the samana Gotama denies the result of actions; he teaches the doctrine of non-action, saying that the actions of sentient beings do not receive their reward, for he teaches annihilation and the loathsome of all things; and in this doctrine he trains his disciples. He teaches the doing away of the soul and the burning away of man's being. Please, tell me, Lord, do those who speak thus say the truth, or do they bear false witness against the Blessed One, passing off a spurious dhamma as your dhamma?

The Blessed One said:

There is a way Siha, in which one who says so, is speaking truly of me; on the other hand, Siha, there is a way in which one who says the opposite is speaking truly of me, too. Listen, and I will tell you:

"…..I teach, Sîha, the not-doing of such actions as are unrighteous, either by deed, or by word, or by thought; I teach the not bringing about of the manifold conditions (of heart) which are evil and not good. In this way, Sîha, one speaking truly could say of me: "The Samana Gotama denies action; he teaches the doctrine of non-action; and in this doctrine he trains his disciples?"

"….. I teach the bringing about of the manifold conditions (of heart) which are good and not evil. In this way, Siha, one speaking truly could say of me: "The Samana Gotama maintains action; he teaches the doctrine of action; and in this doctrine he trains his disciples."

"….. I proclaim, Sîha, the annihilation of LUST, of ILL-WILL, of DELUSION; I proclaim the annihilation of the manifold conditions (of heart) which are evil and not good. In this way, Sîha, that one speaking truly could say of me: "The Samana Gotama maintains annihilation; he teaches the doctrine of annihilation; and in this doctrine he trains his disciples."

"…. I deem, Sîha, unrighteous actions contemptible (loathsome) , whether they be performed by deed, or by word, or by thought; I proclaim the doctrine of the contemptibleness of falling into the manifold conditions (of heart) which are evil and not good. In this way, Sîha, that one speaking truly could say of me: "The Samana Gotama proclaims contemptibleness ……"

".. I teach, Sîha, the doing away with lust, with ill-will, with delusion; I teach the doing away with the manifold conditions (of heart) which are evil and not good. …."

" ….I teach, Sîha, that all the conditions (of heart) which are evil and not good, unrighteous actions by deed, by word, and by thought must be burnt away. He who has freed himself, Sîha, from all conditions (of heart) which are evil and not good, which ought to be burnt away, who has rooted them out, and has done away with them as a palm tree is rooted out, so that they are destroyed and cannot grow up again--such a person do I call accomplished in Tapas. …."

" …..He who has freed himself, Sîha, from the necessity of returning in future into a mother's womb , and of being reborn into new existences, who has rooted out (his being subject to) rebirth, and has done away with it as a palm tree is rooted out, so that it is destroyed and cannot grow up again--such a person do I call apagabbha. Now the Tathâgata, Sîha, has freed himself…. "

When the conversation ended General Siha took refuge in the Buddha, Dhamma, Sangha.

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2011
    That means, if you look at this statement in relation to rebirth. It gives all the four truths a much more profound meaning if you ask me. In relation to one life they just don't make that much sense.
    Hello Sabre

To me, your post just don't make that much sense. The Four Noble Truths do not teach about rebirth.

The Four Noble Truths teach: "IN SUMMARY, suffering is attachment to the five aggregates".

The Four Noble Truths teach suffering originates where craving leads to new becoming.

For example, when we buy a new computer, the computer becomes "our" computer and we become the owner of a computer. When our computer is stolen we suffer. Why? Because we regard that computer to be "ours". When other person's computer is stolen or breaks down we do not suffer. Why? Because we do not regard that computer to be "ours".

The same as the other stuff we take to be "ours", such as "my birth", "my sickness", "my ageing", "my death", "my computer's death", "my separation", etc.

These things are suffering due to attachment. Birth, aging, illness & death are not instrinsically suffering in themselves.

:sawed:
    SN 46.55: Sangaravo Sutta — Sangarava {S v 121; CDB ii 1611} [Walshe]. Why do some sacred texts seem clear, while others are muddled?

"Why is it, good Gotama, how does it come about that sometimes sacred words I have long studied are not clear to me, not to mention those I have not studied? And how is it too that sometimes other sacred words that I have not so studied are clear to me, not to mention those I have studied?"

"Well, Brahman, when a man dwells with his heart possessed and overwhelmed by sense-desires, and does not know, as it really is, the way of escape from sense-desires that have arisen, then he cannot know or see, as it really is, what is to his own profit, nor can he know and see what is to the profit of others, or of both himself and others. Then even sacred words he has long studied are not clear to him, not to mention those he has not studied.

"Imagine, Brahman, a bowl of water mixed with lac, turmeric, dark green or crimson dye. If a man with good eyesight were to look at the reflection of his own face in it, he would not know or see it as it really was. In the same way, Brahman, when a man dwells with his heart possessed and overwhelmed by sense-desires... then he cannot know or see, as it really is, what is to his own profit, to the profit of others, to the profit of both. Then even sacred words he has long studied are not clear to him, not to mention those he has not studied.

"Again, Brahman, when a man dwells with his heart possessed and overwhelmed with ill-will... then he cannot know or see...

"Imagine a bowl of water, heated on a fire, boiling up and bubbling over. If a man with good eyesight were to look at the reflection of his own face in it, he would not know or see it as it really was...

"Again, Brahman, when a man dwells with his heart possessed and overwhelmed by sloth-and-torpor... then he cannot know or see...

"Imagine a bowl of water covered over with slimy moss and water-plants. If a man with good eyesight were to look at the reflection of his own face in it, he would not know or see it as it really was...

"Again, Brahman, when a man dwells with his heart possessed and overwhelmed by worry-and-flurry... then he cannot know or see...

"Imagine a bowl of water ruffled by the wind, so that the water trembled, eddied and rippled. If a man with good eyesight were to look at the reflection of his own face in it, he would not know or see it as it really was...

"Again, Brahman, when a man dwells with his heart possessed and overwhelmed by doubt-and-wavering... he cannot know or see...

"Imagine a bowl of water, agitated, stirred up muddied, put in a dark place. If a man with good eyesight were to look at the reflection of his own face in it, he would not know or see it as it really was. In the same way, Brahman, when a man dwells with his heart possessed and overwhelmed by doubt-and-wavering... then he cannot know or see, as it really is, what is to his own profit, to the profit of others, to the profit of both. Then even sacred words he has long studied are not clear to him, not to mention those he has studied. But, Brahman, when a man dwells with his heart not possessed, not overwhelmed by sense-desires... ill-will... sloth-and-torpor... worry-and-flurry... doubt-and-wavering... [like the five bowls of water not as previously described, but 'clear, limpid, pellucid, set in the open']... then he knows and sees, as it really is, what is to his own profit, to the profit of others, to the profit of both himself and others. Then even sacred words he has not long studied are clear to him, not to mention those he has studied."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn46/sn46.055.wlsh.html
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2011
    @zidangus, @vinlyn, @fivebells -

All off-topic posts deleted.
    Could you please stick to topic, guys?
    If you want to discuss something all of your own, take it to PMs. Thanks.
  • Hello! Recently I was talking to a friend of mine about the first of the Four Noble Truths, which is that "Life is Suffering". My friend didn't agree with me that life in its entirety is suffering, and argued the opposite:

Thoughts?
    There is both happiness and sorrow in life. The problem is most people have a blind spot. They see only the "good" side and deny the "bad". There also some who only see the "bad".

We want only the "good" and reject the "bad". There is no problem with this except that the good time never last. That's why we have photos, videos, diaries etc to keep happy moments. Others go for beauty treatments and deny aging. We only want good health and feel that having sickness is abnormal. Some people only remember sad moments and cannot free themselves from pain.

All beings run towards what is pleasant and away from what is unpleasant,the push-pull of conditioned existence. Thats all they ever know.

If we can accept all that life has to offer without being pulled or pushed around aka craving, many of life's problems disappear.

House-builder, you're seen!
    You will not build a house again.
    All your rafters broken,
    the ridge pole dismantled,
    immersed in dismantling, the mind
    has attained to the end of craving.

• Happiness is temporary, when it end it's suffering because you will want more. When your dead it's even more suffering, hence happiness won't last.
  • @zidangus, @vinlyn, @fivebells -

All off-topic posts deleted.
    Could you please stick to topic, guys?
    If you want to discuss something all of your own, take it to PMs. Thanks.

here here

:clap:
  • Common Misconceptions About the Buddha's Teaching:

The extinguishment of the fires of lust, hate, and delusion (that arise out of the idea of a separately existing self ) is the end of dukkha. The end of dukkha is the beginning of " the highest happiness" .To put in negative terms, Nibbana is the end of dukkha. To put it in positive terms, Nibbana is " the highest happiness" ( another description the Buddha gives for nibbana in the Dhammapada) .

The Buddha said that he only teaches the way to end dukkha but sometimes misunderstood by others as teaching annihilation:

"So teaching, so proclaiming, O monks, I have been baselessly, vainly, falsely and wrongly accused by some ascetics and brahmans: 'A nihilist is the ascetic Gotama; He teaches the annihilation, the destruction, the non-being of an existing individual.'
"As I am not as I do not teach, so have I been baselessly, vainly, falsely and wrongly accused by some ascetics and brahmans thus: 'A nihilist is the ascetic Gotama; He teaches the annihilation, the destruction, the non-being of an existing individual.'
"What I teach now as before, O monks, is suffering and the cessation of suffering.
 "If for that (reason) others revile, abuse, scold and insult the Perfect One, on that account, O monks, the Perfect One will not feel annoyance, nor dejection, nor displeasure in his heart. And if for that (reason) others respect, revere, honor and venerate the Perfect One, on that account the Perfect One will not feel delight, nor joy, nor elation in his heart. If for that (reason) others respect, revere, honor and venerate the Perfect One, He will think: 'It is towards this (mind-body aggregate) which was formerly fully comprehended, that they perform such acts. " - Alagaddupama Sutta

After seeing various misconceptions we can more easily understand why the Buddha initially decided not to teach the dhamma. In the Ariyapariyesana Sutta , the Buddha said:

"This Dhamma that I have attained to its profound an hard to see, hard to discover; it is the most peaceful and superior goal of all, not attainable by mere ratiocination, subtle, for the wise to experience. But this generation relies on attachment, relishes attachment, delights in attachment. It is hard for such a generation to see this truth, that is to say, specific conditionality, dependent arising. And it is hard to see this truth, that is to say, stilling of all formations, relinquishing for the essentials of existence, exhaustion of craving, fading of lust, cessation, Nibbana. And if I taught the Dhamma others would not understand me, and that would be wearing and troublesome for me."

• edited April 2011
    The Buddha served as an example of the potential in each being, just like a butterfly is an example of the potential within each caterpillar.

• Hello! Recently I was talking to a friend of mine about the first of the Four Noble Truths, which is that "Life is Suffering". My friend didn't agree with me that life in its entirety is suffering, and argued the opposite:

Thoughts?
    Hi

As Dazzle said, dukkha is translated as dissatisfaction but I was told that it traditionally refers to a wheel out of balance. ie we can move along and experience but it it not the deep and everlasting peace that can be known througha a practice like Buddhism. Of course how to do that is a different matter altogether and is not always easy IMO.

Best wishes,
    Abu

With Metta
    :) And I was told how the good news is it comes in Fours.
  • If you think life is full of happiness, you are not
    ready for Buddhism.
    Just enjoy your wonderful life.
    If you think life is full of happiness, you are not
    ready for Buddhism.
    Just enjoy your wonderful life.
    Whoa! You make it sound like life is full of nothing but suffering and sorrow. Perhaps you're not ready for life.

• I am not ready for the kind of
    life most people live.
    Study, work, romance, cars, house.
    Been there, done that.
    Okay, although I do not see those things as inherently "wrong".
  • What are you doing, @hermitwin, if you arent studying, working, dating, etc.? Have you gone into homelessness? Have you renounced the worldy life?

I study, work, spend time with my girlfriend, etc. I find that I am still able to practice and am patient with my progress. The lay community feeds, clothes, supports, and tends to the monastic community. There is no shame in living the householder's existence as long as such an existence upholds the virtues of wisdom, morality, and focus.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2011
    As Dazzle said, dukkha is translated as dissatisfaction but I was told that it traditionally refers to a wheel out of balance.
    In the Four Noble Truths, the word "dukkha" simply means "suffering" or literally "difficult to bear"

The 1st Noble Truth is simply a list of life's difficulties, just like a medical journal may list various illnesses & diseases

Our problem is we have not clearly read the First Noble Truth. Instead, we are caught up in our own ideas rather than actually reading what the Buddha reportedly spoke.

Our problem is we are imaging the word "life" exists where, in fact, it does not

The Buddha said:

Birth (of a child) is suffering
    Sickness is suffering
    Aging is suffering
    Death is suffering
    Sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief & despair are suffering
    Separation from the loved is suffering
    Association with the unloved is suffering
    Wanting something & not getting it is suffering
    IN SUMMARY, clinging to, clutching at the five aggregates is suffering

Regards

The mother then carries the embryo in her womb for nine or ten months with much anxiety, as a heavy burden. Then, at the end of nine or ten months, the mother gives birth with much anxiety, as a heavy burden. Then when the child is born, she nourishes it with her own blood; for the mother's breast-milk is called blood in the Noble One's Discipline.

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books9/Bhikkhu_Bodhi_Mahatanhasankhaya_Sutta.htm
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• It is a shame if you cant become a monk.

As my name suggest, I am a hermit.
    It is a shame if you cant become a monk.

Is that the middle way?
  • The behavior per se is compatible with the middle way. To accurately assess whether it's middle way, you would need to know more about the mental state motivating the behavior.
    The behavior per se is compatible with the middle way. To accurately assess whether it's middle way, you would need to know more about the mental state motivating the behavior.
    You'd have a difficult time convincing me that in the 21st century (somewhat dependent on where he is located and exactly how he defines being a hermit) that it's the middle way.

• What is your understanding of middle way?
    What is your understanding of middle way?
    I don't feel it has one static meaning. For example, read the Wikipedia outline of "middle way".

Perhaps more important to find out what hermitwin means by hermit.
  • Yeah, I've always understood it according to the Huineng quote given there:
    If one asks about the worldly, use the paired opposite of the saintly; if asking about the saintly use the paired opposite of the worldly. The mutual causation of the Way of dualities, gives birth to the meaning of the Middle Way. So, for a single question, a single pair of opposites, and for other questions the single [pair] that accords with this fashion, then you do not lose the principle. Suppose there is a person who asks, ‘What is taken for and called darkness?’ Reply and say, ‘Light is the proximate cause and darkness is the contributory cause. When light is ended, then there is darkness. By the means of light, darkness manifests; by the means of darkness, light manifests. [Their] coming and going are mutually proximate causes and become the meaning of the Middle Way
    Living as a hermit is not inconsistent with this.
    Yeah, I've always understood it according to the Huineng quote given there:
    If one asks about the worldly, use the paired opposite of the saintly; if asking about the saintly use the paired opposite of the worldly. The mutual causation of the Way of dualities, gives birth to the meaning of the Middle Way. So, for a single question, a single pair of opposites, and for other questions the single [pair] that accords with this fashion, then you do not lose the principle. Suppose there is a person who asks, ‘What is taken for and called darkness?’ Reply and say, ‘Light is the proximate cause and darkness is the contributory cause. When light is ended, then there is darkness. By the means of light, darkness manifests; by the means of darkness, light manifests. [Their] coming and going are mutually proximate causes and become the meaning of the Middle Way
    Living as a hermit is not inconsistent with this.
    Okay, we see it differently. For example, most historical hermits in Thailand lived in environments such as caves and were, or were close to being, ascetic. And that's what Buddha spoke against.
  • Well, hermit living is pretty standard in Tibetan Buddhism (see the story of Milarepa responding to the demons in his cave, or the book Cave in the snow [which is not otherwise a very good book, I'm afraid.]) So it's certainly not outside the mainstream of contemporary Buddhism.
  • The Middle Way in Buddhism means solitude, going off to a mountaintop or cave or whatever to meditate in isolation, is considered a tool to eliminate distractions and not seen as anything more or less than a personal choice. The hermit is not more holy than the monk in the temple, only using a different technique. The object is always, or should be at any rate, the personal journey to Buddhahood. So don't become attached to solitude. Use it, or find another way. That's all.
    Where are you getting that the middle way is meditating in isolation for whole phases of your life?
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Where can you get that shaving your head, renouncing all possessions and leaving family behind and moving to a temple to live behind walls for a huge part of your life is the middle way?

It simply is. Some ways are a bit more middle than others, perhaps.
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Of course there's happiness in life, Buddhism doesn't deny that, e.g., see this and this.
    Taking human suffering seriously is what I see practice being about. What drew me to Buddhist spiritual practice was the emphasis on investigating the nature of suffering in order to bring about required change ie. discover how we tolerate, avoid or accept suffering in unhealthy ways.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    Taking human suffering seriously is what I see practice being about. What drew me to Buddhist spiritual practice was the emphasis on investigating the nature of suffering in order to bring about required change ie. discover how we tolerate, avoid or accept suffering in unhealthy ways.
    I agree. (Also, I fixed the first link, which should have linked to a blog post instead of this thread. :p )
  • It is a shame if you cant become a monk.

Being a hermit does not imply one is a monk

In the Buddhist scriptures, there are many stories about hermit wanderers that did not understand the Buddha-Dhamma

In Buddhism, the word for monk is "bhikkhu", which means "one who sees the danger"