Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Universe Origins

zidanguszidangus Veteran
edited April 2011 in Philosophy
I'm just wondering what people thought about the actual origins of the Universe, do people believe Buddhist cosmology that the universe is beginningless there was no origin, or do you believe that there has only been one universe and the Big bang was the beginning of it ? Also does anyone think that there is some sort of grand design in the universe, or that things are the way they are because of probability, for example if there are numerous universes then statistically the chances are that one of them (ours) has all the right conditions in it for life to flourish.

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    Isn't physics leaning toward the multiple-universe theory these days?

And weren't there repeated big bangs, expansions, then contractions, cycling over and over? So maybe it was beginningless? Maybe Buddhism and physics coincide now and then. I don't believe anything, I just watch the research unfold. The conclusions change every generation or two, so what's the point of clinging to one point of view? It's ever-changing. How can we as individuals pretend to know?
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Bertrand Russel wrote, "There is no reason to suppose the world had a beginning at all. The idea that things have a beginning is due to the poverty of our imaginations."

Its hard to imagine a beginningless universe, but its proven impossible so far for anyone to figure out how to get something from nothing. Positing an infitely hot and infinitly dense singularity without time or space just "deciding" to expand without a cause is like saying you can explain how the universe works as long as I get one free miracle. I think that the universe is infinite and goes through cycles, but the nature of the cycles is still a mystery.

Here's an article explaining a beginningless universe from a Buddhist point of view:

https://bdigital.ufp.pt/dspace/bitstream/10284/782/3/241-246Cons-Ciencias 02-9.pdf

And a nice documentary that explains the current scientific views about what
    came before the big bang:

• zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited April 2011
    In cosmology there are many views on these type of questions, for example Anthropic principle has a lot of mixed views.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropic_principle

Just wondering peoples views on this
    :)

With Metta
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2011
    I wasn't knocking your question, zid, I was just saying that my view is "who knows?" Beats me. :-/ But it's fun to keep up with the latest theories. :)
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    PROVE IT! (any theory)

You Cannot.

My favorite retort would be a basketful of laughing kittens with a banner reading: "Suggestions Welcome!"
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    The theories can't be proven because no one really knows; they're speculative. And as aforementioned, they change over the years. But they're fun to watch. Sort of like an ever-changing kaleidoscope. Very entertaining.
  • I know Dakini :) , I was just saying, that cosmologists have a lot of different views on these questions themself. So just wondering what peoples thoughts on these questions were. and who knows is as good an answer as any :)

With Metta
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    PROVE IT! (any theory)

You Cannot.

Well...sort of...except there are theories and then there are theories. I personally don't think there's any question about evolution, although admittedly we haven't figured out every lineage of every plant and animal. I no longer consider it a theory, yet it is still referred to as so.

So, the bigger question for me is, what is theory and what is satisfactorily proven?

• There is no such thing as a 100 % true theory, simply because there is always a possibility that another theory will come along and be better.

With Metta

Well...sort of...except there are theories and then there are theories. I personally don't think there's any question about evolution, although admittedly we haven't figured out every lineage of every plant and animal. I no longer consider it a theory, yet it is still referred to as so.

So, the bigger question for me is, what is theory and what is satisfactorily proven?

There's a lot of confusion about the word theory. In common usage it just means like a guess or a hunch, but in scientific usage it "is generally understood to refer to a proposed explanation of empirical phenomena, made in a way consistent with scientific method." What most people call a theory in science is known as an hypothesis. A theory is at or near the top of the scientific hierarchy (not sure if a scientific law is above it or not). Anyway here's a link to a short blog post that can explain it better than I can.

http://theframeproblem.wordpress.com/2008/01/11/is-evolution-just-a-theory-a-scientific-theory-or-a-fact/
  • ...who knows is as good an answer as any
    On a question this fraught with uncertainty (because we are faced with such a dearth of relevant evidence) it is the only honest answer. But that doesn't win science grants or sell science magazines.
    @ vinlyn: I thought this thread was purely and simply about the origin and/or history of the Universe, however one may define it. ANY THEORY about the origin of the universe is unprovable is what my meaning was. Essentially I meant that Any Theory about such thing was entirely useless. That is, useless for discovery of further truth. This is important to me, since in our progenitor tongue, Greek, aletheia ("Truth") literally means uncovering or discovery.

Most theories are handles on comprehension of how and why things work. In other words, most theories are useful and add to our understanding. I never intended to be understood as saying that all theories are unprovable. I was only referring to those about how the universe came into being and metaphysical ideas about God, &c.

The theory of evolution is a most useful theory and one that opens the mind to possible further discovery and understanding. We all know evolution to be a fact when it comes to the psychological/physical development of the thriving individual. If some deny any relevance of evolution in the development of species, etc., they do so only by putting halters around their minds' eyes.
    @ vinlyn: I thought this thread was purely and simply about the origin and/or history of the Universe, however one may define it. ANY THEORY about the origin of the universe is unprovable is what my meaning was. Essentially I meant that Any Theory about such thing was entirely useless. That is, useless for discovery of further truth. This is important to me, since in our progenitor tongue, Greek, aletheia ("Truth") literally means uncovering or discovery.

Most theories are handles on comprehension of how and why things work. In other words, most theories are useful and add to our understanding. I never intended to be understood as saying that all theories are unprovable. I was only referring to those about how the universe came into being and metaphysical ideas about God, &c.

The theory of evolution is a most useful theory and one that opens the mind to possible further discovery and understanding. We all know evolution to be a fact when it comes to the psychological/physical development of the thriving individual. If some deny any relevance of evolution in the development of species, etc., they do so only by putting halters around their minds' eyes.
    I'm not sure there's any real disagreement here.

Many theories have been ultimately provable.

My point is simply that...well, theories are somewhat evolutionary. For example, in Buddha's time not many people knew much about their world. Over the centuries more and more has been learned and ideas have evolved, and will continue to evolve.

In a sense, our lack of knowledge and understanding about the universe(s) is very much like people's lack of knowledge and understanding of the continent next to theirs in the time of Lord Buddha.
  • I tend to think the universe has contracted and expanded many times, and that there are quite possibly a multitude of other universes that we just simply are unable to detect because of the vastness of time/space.

The truth is probably far "weirder" than we can imagine though.
    Truth? Aletheia? Discovery of the Real?

THERE IS no True or False Universe. The boundaries of what we think exists are purely phenomenological. In other words, we create the boundaries of our own universes and what they are is dependent on how we parse things out. Whether we include what's behind the nearest or furthest horizon is up to us, the considerers. The sidereal masses may or may not be relevant; It all depends. Everything is relative to what we expect —literally expect: What we Look Out For. We can be petty and inhabit a very small world indeed, or we can live in awe of everything and live in an infinitely rich world.

For an ant, the world may consist of just a small dung heap and for an astronomer the universe may be an expanse of points of light ever moving ever outwards and away from him.

For the advaita vedantist only the Self is Real and all else is just looking at things from the wrong angle. For the panentheist God is in everything and therefore infinity in the space/time continuum is not so much sought in time as in the space around us and the grace manifested in it...

Ortega said it very well in his vital philosophy: What is real takes shape in the context of my life. Jerusalem, London, and Montreal are not truly abiding realities. I can escape them and build a life elsewhere. It is my life, my conscoiusness which comprises the fundament upon which all else happens for and to me. It is in my life that I find the Truth, find Buddha or Christ, find my lover or whatever. My universe, my world, THE world is what I see, what I accept, what I and those I know and care about make.

There is no True Universe. No. My world is my construct and yours is yours. Going on and on about the origins of "the universe" is just spinning yarn that will never be knit into anything of any real use or help to anyone.
  • edited May 2011
    I think over the years, the line making the distinction between physics and metaphysics has been working its way away from wild, fantastical speculation. The line appears to be at the origin of the universe, because people still try to make claims about it as if it is possible to speculate about. But I believe it's a fantasy to believe that any particular claim about the origin of the universe is *the* correct one.

Translation: It's neat to think about, but ultimately useless.

To me, a scientist who tries to make serious claims about the origin of the universe seems like somebody who watches something from far away for a long time, then scracthes his head, shrugs and says, "Well it *could* work this way...." with a hopeful look on his face.

I apologize for my horrible lack of familiarity with the scriptures, I can't cite this... But I believe the Buddha said something like: contemplating the origin of the universe is either "imponderable", or that it is an unskillful act. Basically... that it should not be done. Could someone with better knowledge than me back me up on that?
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    the notion that there is a beginning and an end is christian influenced.

most religions outside of christianity believe in a cyclical existence.

fun stuff.
  • edited May 2011
    "Positing an infitely hot and infinitly dense singularity without time or space just "deciding" to expand without a cause is like saying you can explain how the universe works as long as I get one free miracle."

The beginning of the Universe was just the appearance of the miracle. The miracle is the thing that happens after you die :-)
  • edited May 2011
    And yes, you do only get won, I mean one.
  • ((I have no idea what i'm talking about. Just kind of hoping something good happens when we die :-) ))
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited May 2011
    I tend to think the universe has contracted and expanded many times, and that there are quite possibly a multitude of other universes that we just simply are unable to detect because of the vastness of time/space.

The truth is probably far "weirder" than we can imagine though.
    I tend to think along these lines on the matter. Also, we have 5 senses if you do not include our consciousness, there are probably so many different forces and acts of nature we cannot comprehend or see. The universe is a great mystery, buddhist cosmology goes along with the newer science theories that there was not just one big bang, but a multitude of them, maybe an infinite process. I wish I could watch this one BBC documentary about a very recent theory which is quite interesting, not just that there are many different universes, but that we are like attached to a far larger system and feed off of it with regards to forces etc.

Yes it will not expand your path to awakening too much, but it is sure interesting :)
  • edited May 2011
    is this relevant? i've heard Thanissaro Bhikkhu/Ajaan Geoff say in dharma talks that the Buddha taught that if you thought about your OWN origins too much you'd go crazy...(Aj. G. also said Buddha said the same thing about trying to understand karma)...is it too much of a leap to say if you'll go crazy trying to figure out your own origins too much, then then trying to figure out the origins of THE UNIVERSE (too much?) will also drive you nuts?

anyone feeling insane yet?
  • I'm just wondering what people thought about the actual origins of the Universe, do people believe Buddhist cosmology that the universe is beginningless there was no origin, or do you believe that there has only been one universe and the Big bang was the beginning of it?
    I believe the no origin "option", but don't KNOW for sure (and usually don't care). I've heard Ajaan Geoff in dharma talks say the Buddha did teach the universe has an origin but that it can't be known (he also said Buddha said god exists but did not create the universe even though "he" thinks it did).
    Also does anyone think that there is some sort of grand design in the universe, or that things are the way they are because of probability, for example if there are numerous universes then statistically the chances are that one of them (ours) has all the right conditions in it for life to flourish.
    Are these the only TWO options?

• edited May 2011
    is this relevant? i've heard Thanissaro Bhikkhu/Ajaan Geoff say in dharma talks that the Buddha taught that if you thought about your OWN origins too much you'd go crazy...(Aj. G. also said Buddha said the same thing about trying to understand karma)...is it too much of a leap to say if you'll go crazy trying to figure out your own origins too much, then then trying to figure out the origins of THE UNIVERSE (too much?) will also drive you nuts?

Hi BuckyG,

The Buddha said:

"There are these four unconjecturables that are not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about them. Which four?

"The Buddha-range of the Buddhas is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it.

"The jhana-range of a person in jhana...

"The [precise working out of the] results of kamma...

"Conjecture about [the origin, etc., of] the world is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it.

"These are the four unconjecturables that are not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about them."

AN 4.77 Acintita Sutta: Unconjecturable

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.077.than.html

with kind wishes,

D.

• zenffzenff Veteran
    I find the word "unconjecturable"...well I find it unconjecturable
    (and also not easy to pronounce).
  • thank you Dazzle!
  • well, yes maybe it does not lead to liberation, but it brings curiosity and interest to me. Since a little child I have been fascinated with space and the cosmos. I am not out to try and find out where it started or if it did not start at all, I just find it interesting and it does not drive me insane.
    edited May 2011
    Neil Turok cyclic universe theory is talked about here

http://sciencefocus.com/feature/space/have-we-all-been-here

@Nirvana, I disagree that cosmology theories are not useful to our understanding. Cosmology theories do have evidence or possible sources of evidence to back them up, and are a immensely useful in adding to our understanding of how come we actually exist in the first place, scientifically speaking. For example, some observational evidence for the big bang theory may include the observed large scale homogeneity of the universe, Hubble Diagram, Abundances of light elements,Existence of the Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation, Fluctuations in the CMBR, Large-scale structure of the universe, Age of stars, Evolution of galaxies, Time dilation in supernova brightness curves, Tolman tests, Sunyaev-Zel'dovich effect, Integrated Sachs-Wolfe effect, Dark Matter and Dark Energy.

Also regarding the Big Bang theory, in quantum field theory it is possible in science for something to be created from nothing via vacuum fluctuations. For example in the simplest case, an electron, a positron and a photon can appear out of nowhere, exist for a short time and then annihilate, leaving no net creation of mass or energy. There is experimental support for this sort of effect for example the Casimir effect.

@Dazzle I am sorry I do not buy it when people say you can't ponder on such questions as you will go insane. This is plainly not true, there are many scientists who have pondered such questions and instead of going insane they actually come up with logical scientifically sound theories.

@BuckyG feel free to add your own options :)

In my opinion there is no harm whatsoever in asking questions such as this, it is by asking questions that seem unanswerable that our scientific understanding of the universe develops, and also how our civilizations develop. And I imagine each of us has wondered at some time or other how and why the universe is the way it is.

With Metta
  • edited May 2011

@Dazzle I am sorry I do not buy it when people say you can't ponder on such questions as you will go insane. This is plainly not true, there are many scientists who have pondered such questions and instead of going insane they actually come up with logical scientifically sound theories.

Hi zidangus,

I wasn't quoting what "people say" or making personal comments - I was simply quoting the Buddha's words in response to a post from BuckyG.

Kind regards,

D.

Hi Dazzle, Ok if Buddha did say this this then I suggest he meant it could lead to frustration and not insanity, as there are a countless number of people who have pondered these questions and have not became insane.

With Metta
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited May 2011
    The use of the words - language and semantics can muddy communication, especially when we are looking at writings originating from many years ago, translated and from vastly different cultures to our own ... unfortunately, especially online, words are all we have though
  • Isn't physics leaning toward the multiple-universe theory these days?

And weren't there repeated big bangs, expansions, then contractions, cycling over and over?
    Exactly. Endless beginnings and endless ends. No beginning to the beginnings and no end to the ends. It's just that our tiny little brains are incapable of comprehending the scale of things in the universe(s). :)
  • edited May 2011
    The use of the words - language and semantics can muddy communication, especially when we are looking at writings originating from many years ago, translated and from vastly different cultures to our own ... unfortuantely, especially online words are all we have though
    Hi Andyrobyn,

The words of the Buddha usually seem pretty clear to me even though they came from another culture many years ago.

Maybe 'different strokes for different folks' though I guess.

kind regards,

Dazzle

;)
  • aMattaMatt Veteran

The words of the Buddha usually seem pretty clear to me even though they came from another culture many years ago.
    In his referring to vexation and insanity, do you think he could have meant those notions are poor meditation objects, rather than a denouncment of them as topics of philosophical or scientific rhetoric?

I notice that the topics he mentioned require one to hold too many threads than what is reasonable for a mind, like noting it would drive a person crazy to attempt to observe all of the insects in a forest. I wonder if these topics are specifically mentioned because any others are covered in his 'leaves in the forest', whereas these topics are 'in the hand', but unreasonable to observe as a tool of cessation.
  • edited May 2011
    It is quite easy to sometimes misinterpret the words/intentions of others online though,so I think its best not to take things too seriously and get over heavy in our debating.

Anyway, sorry - back to topic! :o
  • edited May 2011

In his referring to vexation and insanity, do you think he could have meant those notions are poor meditation objects, rather than a denouncment of them as topics of philosophical or scientific rhetoric?

I think it just means that we don't come to any firm conclusions and that going round and round in circles will be very frustrating rather than resulting in peace of mind.

• it doesn't personally frustrate me and I cannot mediate 16 hours a day.. So I often contemplate such things that do entertain me and make me think about the world around me, which is in fact an illusion. Such thought CAN lead to certain realizations IMO
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    I support the continuity argument in a dualistic manner from a conventional point of view. So with this in mind there is continuity of both mind on one hand and matter/energy on the other. Because of this continuity there is neither a beginning or an end. But I also believe that mind creates matter/energy from appearances and conception from an ultimate point of view though I'm not sure how that would relate to the apparent creation of universes. Of course I take none of this seriously, it's just some fun. :)

Bucky,

I've heard this before (the going crazy aspect...although I think the actual translated word was "mad"). My background was in the geosciences, and there were lots of focuses, one of which was astronomy. All the people who were having the discussions at the university about things like the origin of the universe and the origin of man...never knew a one who went crazy or mad.

Bucky,

I've heard this before (the going crazy aspect...although I think the actual translated word was "mad"). My background was in the geosciences, and there were lots of focuses, one of which was astronomy. All the people who were having the discussions at the university about things like the origin of the universe and the origin of man...never knew a one who went crazy or mad.

I'll be honest, this tendency of some Buddhists to not want people to ask questions and seek the truth even about the "imponderables", reminds me just a little of the Catholic Church's attitude toward knowledge back through history (e.g., Galileo).

I find the word "unconjecturable"...well I find it unconjecturable
    (and also not easy to pronounce).
    Nice way to put it!

@zidangus: I disagree that such things as cosmology theories exist in the first place. Cosmologies are SYSTEMS of thought, not theories. Cosmologies are systems subscribed to almost organically, not methodically and with step-by-step precision. Theories are something much different and much more impersonal. If you are a Christian in church reciting the Creed, by "Universe" you mean all that is. You mean that in an unspecified, wide way (Remember, besides meaning "universal," the word "Catholic" also means "wide and broad" [as in "her tastes in music are very catholic"]). Your Christian cosmology would not be a theory, but a framework or background from which all the other stuff hangs. However, no precise formulas are needed. A myth or two will suffice quite nicely.

A theoretical framework, of course, is necessary on the scientific level, but not on either the technical or every-day level.

One would have to be mad to be always inveighing ultimate causes and such while his village is turning into mud and slipping down the side of the mountain or other practical issues are urgently calling out for his attention.

In the end, it's all relative to the perspective of the observer. E=MC2 is only realizable microcosmically on the observed plane. You can either be the vehicle or build a bigger ship. In the end it is you who defines what YOUR Universe is. It is just impossible to circumscribe entirely what the specific borders of any universe or world may be. Such can never be completely com-pre-hended.

Also regarding the Big Bang theory, in quantum field theory it is possible in science for something to be created from nothing via vacuum fluctuations. For example in the simplest case, an electron, a positron and a photon can appear out of nowhere, exist for a short time and then annihilate, leaving no net creation of mass or energy. There is experimental support for this sort of effect for example the Casimir effect.
    Yes, but this really just redefines what is meant by nothing since there are still quantum fluctuations, time and space. There's also this notion that when the matter of our universe came into being most of it was destroyed via antimatter and only one part per 1 billion or something survived. If there's a quantum field my view is that these fluctuations could be happening constantly, the vast majority of which are destroyed but very rarely one could come into being with the right conditions to expand into a universe with all the right laws to produce conscious beings. I imagine that according to this view the quantum field could exist outside the normal 3 dimensions and could be the source of multiple universes. This is a lot of speculation on my part and kind of my current take on the anthropic principle.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    I'm just wondering what people thought about the actual origins of the Universe, do people believe Buddhist cosmology that the universe is beginningless there was no origin, or do you believe that there has only been one universe and the Big bang was the beginning of it ? Also does anyone think that there is some sort of grand design in the universe, or that things are the way they are because of probability, for example if there are numerous universes then statistically the chances are that one of them (ours) has all the right conditions in it for life to flourish.
    None of the above because I don't think it matters. I don't think knowing the answer would change anything. If the universe is beginningless, ok, what then? If the universe started with the big bang and did not exist before that, ok, what then? Would it really change anything that is important?
  • No not really, but it would just be interesting to know about the universe in my opinion. I often gaze up at the heavens and ponder over this. There is obviously something vastly complex, huge and beyond our comprehension going on out there. I am just very curious person :P

None of the above because I don't think it matters. I don't think knowing the answer would change anything. If the universe is beginningless, ok, what then? If the universe started with the big bang and did not exist before that, ok, what then? Would it really change anything that is important?
    This could be said of everything and anything. So what your trying to say is that nothing really matters right ?

If Siddhattha Gotama, had this attitude and did not ask questions of this nature, would he have gained his insight ?

An interesting question in itself :rolleyes:

With Metta

Yes, but this really just redefines what is meant by nothing since there are still quantum fluctuations, time and space. There's also this notion that when the matter of our universe came into being most of it was destroyed via antimatter and only one part per 1 billion or something survived. If there's a quantum field my view is that these fluctuations could be happening constantly, the vast majority of which are destroyed but very rarely one could come into being with the right conditions to expand into a universe with all the right laws to produce conscious beings. I imagine that according to this view the quantum field could exist outside the normal 3 dimensions and could be the source of multiple universes. This is a lot of speculation on my part and kind of my current take on the anthropic principle.

So I guess another question to ask which is related to Buddhism is, do you think that the concept of enlightenment is part of the fundamental make up and laws that govern a universe or do you think that enlightenment is something that transcends a universe and its laws ?
    Obviously this is not a scientific question more of a question of what your gut feeling or belief is (please no more "its not relevant to practice" or "speculation is not worth speculating on" comments please I'm just curious if people have thought about it, and if they have what they believe :D )

With Metta

• I will copy from the worlds of his holiness zidangus, again...

''On the basis of this cosmology, Buddhism talks about the infinite process of the universe, coming into being and going through a process of dissolution before again coming into being. This process has to be understood in relation to the three realms of existence. It is from the third level of the form realms downwards that the world is subject to continuous process of arising and dissolution. From the fourth level of the form realm upwards, which includes the formless realm, the world is beyond this process which we could call the evolution of the physical universe.''
    Yes thank you HHTT,this is Buddhist cosmology, and I favour the Neil Turoks theory of a cyclic universe, which seems logical and agrees a lot with teachings of Buddhist cosmology, tough very short on observational evidence (if any) I have to say. But I don't know about enlightenment, for me it seems that this must be connected to the universe and its laws in a fundamental way. Thats my opinion at present anyway. :) Do you think this or something different ?

With Metta
  • Well, I think that without consciousness there would be nothing. Consciousness is the universe, it creates the universe and there are many laws to this universe. Some we know, such as gravity, and I am sure there are plenty that we are unaware of.
    I will copy the rest of this section of the book with regards to enlightenment and transcending the physical universe...

''In buddhism you can find the distinction between ordinary beings and superior beings, or the Arya. This basis can be made on their respective levels of consciousness or realization. ANyone who has gained direct intuitive realization of emptiness, or the ultimate nature of reality, is said to be an Arya according to Mahayana, and anyone who has not gained that realization is called an ordinary being. In relation to the three realms, the subtler the level of consciousness an individual attains, the subtler the realm of existence he can inhabit.

For example, if a person's ordinary mode of being is very much within the context of desire and attachment- that is to say that he tends to develop attachment to whatever he perceives, like desirable forms or pleasant sensations and so on - then such attachment to physical objects, thought processes and sensory experiences leads to a form of existence which is confined within the desire realm, both now and in the future. At the same time, there are people who have transcended attachment to objects of immediate perception and physical sensations, but who are attached to the inner states of joy or bliss. That type of person creates causes that will lead him or her to future rebirths where physical existence has a much more refined form.

Furthermore, there are those who have transcended attachment not only to physical sensations, but also to pleasurable inner sensations of joy and bliss. They tend more towards a state of equanimity. Their level of consciousness is much more subtler than the other two, but they are still attached to a particular mode of being. The grosser levels of their mind can lead to the fourth level of the form realm, while the subtler attachment towards equanimity leads to the formless realms. So this is the way we relate to three realms to level of consciousness.