Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Being a soldier?

edited May 2011 in Buddhism Basics
I am a Buddhist and been taught the basic buddhism principles. My whole family are buddhists too. But I have a very strong desire to be a soldier, more specifically an SAS soldier. It has been my dream for a long time. I'm 17 years old. I am the sort of person who craves for challenges, and being in the most elite special forces in the world will obviously be challenging. I could write a whole book of the reasons I want it. But there is a problem, more like a confusion...can't think of the right word. As a Buddhist I've been taught never to take any life, I never killed any animals or ants from my free will. But being an SAS Soldier is everything I've ever wanted. But there is violence involved, so doing that will completely betray the teachings I received since I was born. A part of me says the killing of a few will save more lives. Another part of me says peoples lives are not judged by your own hands. And also another part of me says I will go to hell for killing, whether their guilty or not. I am very confused, I need answers. Is being a soldier a right thing to do? or not? Or is the answer more than a simple yes or no?

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Very nice that you are being this thoughtful about your future.

I guess we could look at it from the most extreme situation. During WWII, what if the Allies had not gone to war against Nazi Germany? What would the world have been like had Hitler been allowed to simply have his way? In the alliance with Japan, the Axis powers would have permanently have taken over the Buddhist cultures of SE Asia permanently, and probably wiped out Buddhism from the planet.

Now some will say, but that's the extreme case. True, but a real situation that, at least to me, doesn't leave much doubt that there are times that we have to set aside some principles.

And perhaps this is a case where you could say that "intention" could be the turning point of your decision. And as a soldier, how will you conduct yourself?

It's a tough one.
  • ...I have a very strong desire to be a soldier, more specifically an SAS soldier. It has been my dream for a long time. I'm 17 years old.
    You're very young. Maybe put Buddhism aside, for now. It'll be easier to make progress in it when you come back from your first war. PTSD and feelings of betrayal make excellent grist for the mill.
  • I reckon you should go for it! Buddhism and the millitary both contains the need for great discipline and letting go of the ego. But I think you will be warped by the millitary, especially if you join combat too early.

You should probably try to ground your morality in Buddhism first before joining special forces, otherwise you might end up getting attached to hatred when facing enemies.

I for one would rather have a Buddhist soldier protecting me!
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran

Check this video out, ConfusedOne. If being a soldier really is your dream, go for it.
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    Why not be a ...how they call it...battlefield medic ? You can save lives in the middle of chaos...
  • What I am confused about the most: is killing people, no matter who they are, terrorists, criminals etc a wrong thing? The type of Special Forces unit I am pursuing trains the soldiers to use controlled violence, killing without hate and only doing it in order to accomplish the mission. I'm surprised no one has mentioned what my mum have told me when I told her of this. She said if I kill then it would somehow dragged my ancestors and the ones related to me that were dead to hell or something like that (I sort of believe that because I have read some bhuddism teaching books which mentioned quite similar situations). And according to the buddhism teachings i had there are many levels of hell and mum told me my dream would send me to one of the lowest and worst ones. She said I must look beyond the surface, that killing person (good or bad) will continue the cycle of (forgot the name...you get the idea). She said it to me clearly but I just remember some of the words she told me.
    I am really confused, perhaps I should consult a person with higher knowledge of this matter?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Yes, killing anybody is wrong. There are no conditions, no exceptions, no provisos, nothing. Killing, is, wrong.
    Your mother has her views, beliefs, superstitions or whatever, and that is her right.
    However, according to Buddhism, none of that is relevant. Your actions are, and the consequences of your actions, affect you.
    Killing is not Right Action, and the conditions you give, are not Right View.
    You violate the first precept in the most terrible way possible.

That's enough, in anybody's book.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited May 2011
    @TheConfusedOne
    It sounds like you’re not cut from the right wood for the SAS.
    And that’s a compliment! :)
    Drop the whole idea.
  • beingbeing Veteran
    I guess you're actually looking for encouragement. But I'm not going to give any.

Violence is never a solution. You might not understand it at this point of your life, but I'm pretty sure at one point you will. And that's when it might be a bit late (after you have killed someone or something awful like that).

Violence only creates more violence.

I suggest you watch the movie Gandhi (1982).
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    edited May 2011
    There is so many ways of challenging yourself and still putting yourself in danger. Climb a mountain, if you look into it it is a very tough thing to do. Did you know that every sixth person that goes up mount everest dies. Travel around the world on your bike, be a top atlhete, etc. Being an SAS soldier is probably not as glamorous as you might think
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    Confused One, don't get me wrong, but what are you looking for by joining the SAS ? To be an unknown hero for shooting up the bad guys on foreign land or at home ? Or maybe to just learn some very useful survival skills ? Or is just the need to prove that you are a man ( fight club reference) and the only way to do that is to take part in a serious battle ?
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    What I am confused about the most: is killing people, no matter who they are, terrorists, criminals etc a wrong thing?
    Yes.

• I just want to clarify to some of you. I am very clear of what an SAS soldier is. I know it's a job far from glamourous, I know the training, the mental and physical requirements etc. Now that I think deeper, I guess one of the main reason is that I'm looking for that "brother bond" that soldiers develop when they're fighting together. But that isn't the only reason I'm just saying it's one of the many reasons. To some of you: Please do not assume stuff about me if you want to know just ask. But thanks I guess some of you gave me the answer. I just needed to confirm.
  • Friend, it is definitely a life changing decision that you are considering making. Not just for you, but also for many around you. I my self am a Buddhist, and one of the wholesome mental states that I have been instructed to cultivate is compassion, for myself, and for all other beings. With this intention I can only give you one piece of advice; do not become a soldier. It may be perhaps that the brotherly bond you seek is a wholesome endeavor, however there are also perhaps many more wholesome methods of cultivating that bond than the way you seek. Today's world is a very sad place in some areas, and one of the reasons for that is military action motivated by the greed, hatred, and ignorance that some men harbour in their hearts. If you wish to enjoy your life, create strong bonds with other men, and make the world a better place, I can only recommend that you decide against this decision. I hope you make the right choice. Good luck. :);)
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I have a freind who is a Vietnam green beret vet. Out of his company of a little over 100 men only 5 came back. Four of those killed themselves, and he had the gun in his hand intending to do it himself, but thanks to the intervention of a dog (no doubt that dog will be reborn a human next life ;) ) he didn't do it. He's now a great guy, though still has PTSD all these years later, and I'm glad to know him. There maybe some glamour you see in that kind of life but there's also a very dark side that you really need to consider when making your decision.
  • TheConfusedOne, the intentions of our action matters alot when we make them.
    Killing will always result in Bad karma, but if the intention arise out of compassion and concerns for the good of the many you will also receive good Karma.
    Hence it's very important to solidify your moral characters before joining up. I don't know how much Dharma support you can receive from where your at. But I would recommend spend some serious time in Buddhist practices then make the decision. You can either decided not to join the SAS after your cultivation, or you can solidify your character and become a ethical and moral member of the SAS. One more ethical soldier means one less chance of war crime.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    I had a military career, the last part of it in the Air Force while practicing Buddhism. In fact, it was in Korea that I stumbled across Korean Zen. I did eventually leave the service instead of reinlisting, but that was for multiple reasons while my Buddhist vows were a big factor.

You don't have to choose one or the other, not right now. If this is your big dream, do it. If not, you will never be able to fully embrace Buddhism without a bit of regret for what you didn't do. Later on, you might decide it's not for you.

What you will discover is that all of your fellow soldiers, Buddhist, Christian, Muslim, or Atheist, all can have the same moral dilemmas about killing and never lose that. You can be a soldier and not rejoice at the suffering of others, because that's what being a professional soldier is about.

I'd rather have one professional soldier who knows torturing prisoners and killing innocents is wrong, then another Buddhist monk sitting in a temple. You might be able to save lives out there.

• I'd rather have one professional soldier who knows torturing prisoners and killing innocents is wrong, then another Buddhist monk sitting in a temple. You might be able to save lives out there.
    Come on. Military institutions are total, and wield tremendous power over the lives of their soldiers. How many people are able to maintain a sane approach to military affairs in that kind of environment? Don't forget that pressure to torture prisoner and kill innocents is and has always come from the top.
  • hermitwinhermitwin Veteran
    edited May 2011
    In 2008, the number of suicides in the U.S. armed forces increased yet again, to 128 confirmed and 15 pending further investigation, having risen every year since 2004.
    15 Jul 2010 ... Soldiers killed themselves at the rate of one per day in June, making it the worst month on record for Army suicides.
  • What is the SAS, is that a Brit thing? I ask because the US army now has Buddhist chaplains, and they have a rationale for why army service is compatible with the 1st precept. Ask Vinlyn for the link, or check the other threads on this subject for the link (it might be on the Bin Laden thread). Anyway, what came up on another thread about Buddhism and serving in the army was that a Buddhist would never sign up in the first place. Would never put him/herself in a position to kill. The US army doesn't seem to feel that way, but the majority of respondents here did. NomaD had a good idea; serve in some other capacity, if you must serve; as medic, if you can get a medical education, or as Buddhist chaplain.
  • What I am confused about the most: is killing people, no matter who they are, terrorists, criminals etc a wrong thing? The type of Special Forces unit I am pursuing trains the soldiers to use controlled violence, killing without hate and only doing it in order to accomplish the mission.
    Even if it was acceptable or justified, can you be sure that's all you'd be doing? What defines terrorism? Is an Afghan peasant - usually in the form of a rebel or insurgent, of which there are many - fighting against invading forces a terrorist? If his otherwise innocent family and friends have been killed by our forces, are his actions still terrorism? Many of these terrorists and rebels are children and young men, it's difficult for either side(Pro or Anti-War) to believe they've made an informed or rational decision to take up arms. They believe they're fighting the good fight, just as you do. With our current foreign policies and conflicts we're engaged in, can you handle or live with the fact you might kill civilians, or enemy combatants that aren't necessarily a black and white case of good and evil?

Most people in Afghanistan, for example, don't even know about 9/11(poll results, widely reported but I can cite). These people you're fighting aren't necessarily religious fanatics who hate Western ideals; They're victims of an invasion who hate the invaders. Although of course there are those who are religious fanatics that hate Western ideals... But they don't necessarily hold up signs ;)

Then there's other questions: Do you value Democracy? I'm assuming you do, most Soldiers I know do, that's why they join. But it's quite likely if you do make the SAS that you'll be engaging in activities and war that the majority of Britons do not want or support. You could argue on that note that the war is a betrayal of British Democracy as your actions go against the will of the British people.

And if your goals are Democracy or to end Terrorism(again I'm assuming it's one or both), are there not more productive methods or ways of achieving this? The War in the Middle East has increased terror by 8(x multiplied by 8), I believe. In that respect we can say the war is breeding more terrorism, and arguebly counter productive. If these are your goals then being proactive in your community and setting a good example would probably be more beneficial. Supporting Democracy and liberation movements in enemy states, that's arguably more productive. Politicians and Corporations are decisive in making and breaking war, you could become a Politician and use your position to effect change.

But if you're just looking for nothing more than a brotherly bond then you could always join your local Rugby team :D

For others who asked, the SAS is the Secret Air Service, a special forces regiment of the army. Usually the SAS will refer to the British SAS, but several common wealth nations have an SAS regiment. Australia and New Zealand come to mind. It's one of the most respected regiments in not just the British army, but most the world. John Lofty Wiseman(SAS) trained the first members of the Green Berets and Delta force. The SAS are held in very very high regard and have been mimicked by regiments the world over(Joint Task Force 2, Sayeret Matkal, the KSK, Jægerkorpset, HK SDU, etc etc). So it's more of an achievement by societies standards than being a medic

• But I have a very strong desire to be a soldier, more specifically an SAS soldier.
    There are some difficult ethical issues involved here, not least the first precept.
    However, looking at the practicalities, is it not the case that the SAS runs selection courses which only serving soldiers can apply for? And have you considered the Territorial Army as a way of learning a bit about life in the army?

Spiny
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Yes, killing anybody is wrong. There are no conditions, no exceptions, no provisos, nothing. Killing, is, wrong.
    Always? Unquestionably, regardless of circumstance?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Yes.
  • If you think you may not get rid of your greed, hatred, and delusion this lifetime, then take more time to decide. Take years to decide if you need it. Don't rush yourself into something you're unsure of.
  • Yes.
    So the man who kills an intruder in order to protect his family is wrong?

• Yes.

A good question. The first precept clearly says that a Buddhist shouldn't take life, but I can see this situation would be a terrible dilema and I don't know how I would respond. What I do know is that we always have to live with the consequences of whatever actions we carry out, and that these consequences can be very unpredictable.

Spiny

Yes.

Yes, or course.
    It may be seen as justifiable self-defence, but it's still wrong.
    That's why cases like this are still tried by courts of law.
    Because it's both legally and morally wrong.
    To my knowledge, there has never been a case where an intruder has been killed by the house-owner and the Police have then said, "Oh that's ok pal, you were completely right to kill him, no worries, case closed. Sorted!"

Killing is wrong.
    Such cases are thankfully extremely rare, but I seem to remember a forum member was indeed faced with this situation, and did end up killing the intruder/attacker.
    AFAIK, the issue still plays on his mind, and he is conscious of the kamma he has created for himself.

Nobody blamed him for his stance, but even he acknowledged he wished it had not happened in that way.
    He did not see the death of the attacker as justified.

• VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited May 2011
    I don't like the subtext, but the militaristic term neutralize is a good approach of the life precept.
    for self-defense neutralize without killing if possible.

however, there's whole branches of the army that shouldn't be seen as ethical. anything related to siege warfare, and non-spionage air forces (anything that can bomb).
  • Yes.

Yes, or course.
    It may be seen as justifiable self-defence, but it's still wrong.
    That's why cases like this are still tried by courts of law.
    Because it's both legally and morally wrong.
    To my knowledge, there has never been a case where an intruder has been killed by the house-owner and the Police have then said, "Oh that's ok pal, you were completely right to kill him, no worries, case closed. Sorted!"

Killing is wrong.
    Such cases are thankfully extremely rare, but I seem to remember a forum member was indeed faced with this situation, and did end up killing the intruder/attacker.
    AFAIK, the issue still plays on his mind, and he is conscious of the kamma he has created for himself.

Nobody blamed him for his stance, but even he acknowledged he wished it had not happened in that way.
    He did not see the death of the attacker as justified.

Certainly one would still face karma over such actions. I can imagine myself being willing to use deadly force in such a situation, but I can't picture the taking of another life not weighing on my conscious nonetheless. I once came home in the morning after a night out to find that my house had been broken into. Granted no real harm was done, but I couldn't help but wonder what might have transpired had I been home at the moment of the break in. Might the situation have turned violent? Could I have ended up killing someone (or being killed myself)?

No, I've never heard of a case where the police dismiss someone who's killed an intruder, but I have heard of cases where the prosecutor declines to press the case.

I suppose I took "wrong" to mean "unjustifiable". Wrong perception on my part perhaps.