Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditating...without meditating?

edited May 2011 in Meditation
Hello...

I don't want to take a ton of your time, just need some quick answers. I have no real time (or place) to sit and meditate properly. Everything in my home is too loud and I can't exactly leave (teenager without car). And I'm incredibly busy. However I acknowledge that meditation is vital in Buddhism and I want to do it, really.

So my question is this: can I meditate before going to bed without using the proper position or techniques? I got the impression that meditating is thinking/contemplation on a deeper level. If this is so, can't we just do it anywhere? Why do we need a special "position" and the like?

Thank you in advance. =)

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Yes, you can meditate in bed before you go to sleep (if you're not too sleepy). This is good, because your spine is aligned. It's about alignment of the spine, which allows proper energy flow within the body. You can meditate sitting in a chair, too.

Do you have a garden, or is there a public park near you? For beginners, a quiet spot is best, because there's less distraction, so you can focus more easily. But an experienced meditator should be able to meditate anywhere.
  • I had the same problem when I was beginning to meditate. I found that if I waited until after my homework was done at night just before I went to bed, the house was likely to be quieter as most in the family were either asleep, or going about their business in a quiet manner. At this time I would be able to sit in my room and meditate, often turning off the lights, but only if I wasn't too sleepy, by folding my pillow in half (because I can't meditate simply sitting on my bed since my back sinks in more). As a beginner 10-15 or heck 5 minutes is better than nothing. And if you do not want to sit before you go to bed, then you can lay down and do meditation just the same as you could do it while sitting.
    Best of luck,
    Ash
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Try to set a scheduled time for your meditation, like an appointment. If your life is full of things to do its always easy to put off meditation because something else can be or needs to be done. If you value your meditation set some time aside for it ahead of time, that way you can plan the rest of your activities around it.
  • edited May 2011
    You don't have to do "formal" meditation. There are tons of other methods of meditation to suit your particular needs, walking meditation, sight meditation, listening meditation, etc. The idea is to calm your mind and focus your attention on a single point. Although proper posture helps in this regard (less fidgeting) it is not required.

Couple of ideas you could try in your situation. When walking from class to class take a minute to focus on your breath. Even if it's just a small amount of time each session, it will go along way in helping your practice.

Or if you have trouble focusing on your breath, try recognizing each person you pass and mentally ask yourself "Buddha?" The point is not to just repeat the word "Buddha" a bunch of times, but to contemplate where you see "Buddha" in nature and in other beings around you.

Hope that helps and good luck with your meditation!
  • " I got the impression that meditating is thinking/contemplation on a deeper level."

To me meditation is about awareness and not at all thinking and contemplation. It is being aware that you are thinking and contemplating or of some other present moment sensation.
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    Yes you can meditate before going to sleep. As long as you are comfortable, you should be fine.

Darkprincess, do you take walks? Walking can be turned into a great meditation experience and it's practiced in most schools of buddhism.
  • ...can I meditate before going to bed without using the proper position or techniques? I got the impression that meditating is thinking/contemplation on a deeper level. If this is so, can't we just do it anywhere? Why do we need a special "position" and the like?
    It can be done anywhere, in any position. Developing the capacity to do that is kind of the point. However, it might be difficult to start with lying-down meditation, particularly just before bed. It's important to keep a balanced level of energy, and lying down can quiet the mind to the point where it becomes dull. If it's a problem, you'll probably know. Try it and let us know how it goes.
  • Darkprinces,

Why don't you want to use a traditional posture?
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Another point of view:

Meditation practice is what you might call a whole-life practice. Ideally, but not always in actuality, thought, word and deed are no longer scattered. Naturally, thought, word and deed are not separated in our lives, but as a matter of confusion, we separate them. Traditional posture helps to remind us of our whole-life existence. Once body, mind and action are in accord -- once the actualized understanding takes hold -- then it is OK to say "you can do meditation anywhere" because it is true. But beforehand, the separations of ordinary daily life are likely to continue to rule the roost. Perhaps meditation could be described as ... nothing is ever missing, but it takes some effort to actualize the fact.

• Posture is not critical. Everyone is unique and has their
    own preferences.
    However, Buddhist meditation is a skill/technique.
    There are 3 types; metta, samadhi & vipassana.
    I suggest you learn it first, either from books, websites, etc.
  • I vote with genkaku. And in my own experience, the posture is very strong, and it holds in ways that I simply could not have done otherwise, even if I had believed (and secretly assumed) I could do otherwise.
    I'm sorry it is so busy, perhaps sitting up in bed is also possible with the right cushion underneath. Google MRO and zazen for some sitting instructions.

Best wishes,
    Abu
  • Dr Akong Tulku Rinpoche on the topic of posture:

We sit down to meditate in order to help us tame the mind and find inner peace, but how should we best go about it? ...

http://www.abuddhistlibrary.com/Buddhism/A - Tibetan Buddhism/Authors/Akong Rinpoche/Posture/Posture.htm

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I suggest sitting in a chair 5 min a day for now.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited May 2011
    It sounds like your first challenge is to think creatively and/or use your willpower to make a time and place for it.

Meditation is difficult. It's hard to get yourself to do. It's hard to make it a priority. It's hard to keep physcially still. It'll feel damn near impossible to still your mind. It's the ultimate test in willpower, so realize that carving out its place in your life is just its first test.
    I got the impression that meditating is thinking/contemplation on a deeper level.
    That's incorrect.
    Posture is not critical.
    Also disagreed. A straight spine is very important.
  • edited May 2011
    Darkprincess, I read Akong Rinpoche's instructions, and there's nothing there that hasn't already been covered here, except he goes into more detail. As Dakini mentioned in the beginning, the main thing is keeping the spine straight, so you can sit in a chair or meditate in bed, lying flat. As you discovered yourself, a quiet environment is important, especially for beginners, and a quiet spot out in nature is ideal, but yes, you can do it anywhere. As others have mentioned, you can do walking meditation. The key in meditation is the breathing technique: deep, slow breaths not filling your lungs, as with normal breathing, but pushing the breath deep, as if filling your belly. And very slow, controlled exhale. Simply focus on the breath. Start with 5 minutes daily. When you get so that you can maintain focus for the whole 5 minutes, go to 10 minutes. When the mind wanders, bring it back to the breath, without judging yourself for having lost focus. You can do this whether sitting, lying, or walking. If you try meditating in bed before going to sleep, and you find yourself falling asleep during your meditation, get up and sit in a chair.

The breathing technique is important because it helps to still the mind. You'll have better results staying focussed with the right breathing technique. Meditation isn't thinking, it's the absence of thinking. The goal is to stop thinking, and to quiet the mind's constant chatter, and simply observe the breath. If you get distracted, observe what thought distract you, then refocus on the breath. One can gain insight by observing the mind's habitual tendencies, so you simply make a mental note of what distracted you (without fixating on it!), then bring the focus back to the breath. In time you may find that this stillness is very restful, like a vacation for the mind.

Good luck. :)
  • A straight spine is very important.
    ^Agreed

@Darkprincess, it's hard to believe you have no time to meditate when your a teenager. The ideal position is:

http://www.fgs.org.nz/english/content.aspx?id=4780

useful picture here:

http://www.spiritualhealing-now.com/image-files/halflotusfront.jpg

• One way is to be fully aware and present with whatever you are doing at all times whether you are walking, sitting, lying, eating, bathing, in the bathroom etc.

Whenever your mind runs away from what you are doing, just notice that and bring your attention fully to the current activity whatever it may be.

http://www.vipassanadhura.com/comprehension.htm
  • Another point of view:

Meditation practice is what you might call a whole-life practice. Ideally, but not always in actuality, thought, word and deed are no longer scattered. Naturally, thought, word and deed are not separated in our lives, but as a matter of confusion, we separate them. Traditional posture helps to remind us of our whole-life existence. Once body, mind and action are in accord -- once the actualized understanding takes hold -- then it is OK to say "you can do meditation anywhere" because it is true. But beforehand, the separations of ordinary daily life are likely to continue to rule the roost. Perhaps meditation could be described as ... nothing is ever missing, but it takes some effort to actualize the fact.

:clap:
  • Darkprinces,

Why don't you want to use a traditional posture?
    It hurts my back and makes me fidgety. =/

Thanks guys for the advice. =)
  • Has anyone ever felt that what you gain in each meditation stays with you and your self esteem, wisdom, and senses has been refined?
  • finding0finding0 Veteran
    Simply remain aware of your breath. do not control it, speculate it or judge it. Just let it do its thing. It will anchor you to this eternal moment. As you stay with the breath your body will relax and the mind will slow, eventually stop. Meditation is to remain in awareness. You can meditate why eating, while working, while running or riding a bike. When ever. I personally am very dedicated to this practice. I have an interval timer in my pocket that vibrates every 5 minutes. This helps me realize if I have come to reside in thoughts rather then the breath then I return.
  • finding0finding0 Veteran
    Simply remain aware of your breath. do not control it, speculate it or judge it. Just let it do its thing. It will anchor you to this eternal moment. As you stay with the breath your body will relax and the mind will slow, eventually stopping. Meditation is to remain in awareness. You can meditate while eating, while working, while running or riding a bike. When ever. I personally am very dedicated to this practice. I have an interval timer in my pocket that vibrates every 5 minutes. This helps me realize if I have come to reside in thoughts rather then the breath then I return. My dedication has payed off and I have become very still. When you give focus to thoughts and forms it only further gives the ego strength to survive. Like a pendulum. If you try to control it,it will only keep moving. But if you let it just be and watch eventually it will stop. it will be still and there will simply just be this. This moment. And you will see

Mod can you delet my above post. this forum doesn't give me enough time to add or edit XD
  • The scheduling in a meditation sounds like a good idea.

As I understand it, as long as you find a position that you can be comfortable in for a while, then that's the position you use. I don't think there's any specific position that you must use to get a good meditation session.

I sometimes meditate right before I go to sleep since it's quiet. I would meditate just lying down in the same position that I would sleep. The challenge is to stay focused so I don't fall asleep. The advantage is, once I get tired, I'll just go to sleep. Then it's much easier for me to sleep. I tend to have trouble falling asleep.
  • auraaura Veteran
    I well understand the difficulties of your circumstances as a teenager in a household when it comes to meditation practice!

I would recommend a short lying down meditation before sleep (traditional position for female is to lie on the left side of one's body, for male the right side). The light of a small flashlight can help to keep you from dozing off during your practice(a little crank-powered rechargeable one is very nice!).

I would also recommend that you consider learning to knit as an easy way to assist and increase your meditation practice. It is very easy to learn basic knitting, even a young child can do it. Knitting is a mindful yet mindless gently soothing repetitive task that promotes proper meditation posture, relaxation, breathing, focus, awareness, lack of dozing off, and patient committed attitude while allowing one to engage inwardly in one's meditation practice...
    in spite of whatever external (or internal) chaos may surround you in life!

Staring at/focusing on one's knitting a simple repetitive pattern is as effective as meditation done staring at/focusing on a candle, and yet it may be done any time, anywhere, and is socially acceptable!
    Best of all, family/friends/passersby won't walk up to you to inquire what you are doing, when you are most obviously... knitting!

Knitting is a very easy and convenient method of helping one to practice, particularly for a young person. It also presents an easy way to observe not only the measure of one's commitment to daily practice.... but also one's developing equanimity, easily observed in the smoothness and evenness of one's knitting!

• When we meditate often, and it starts to come to us with ease, I believe its possible enjoy that ease whenever and wherever we want. All we have to do is recall the same focus and preoccupation that we experienced when we felt that ease. It actually helps out in situations where we need to think clearly.

with metta