Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Vipassana in the United States

edited May 2011 in Buddhism Today
Friends:
I really like this article:

Insight Meditation in the United States: Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

by Gil Fronsdal

from Charles S. Prebish and Kenneth K. Tanaka, THE FACES OF BUDDHISM IN AMERICA,
Chapter 9

& was wondering if anyone would like to discuss it.
b@eze
Bucky

http://www.insightmeditationcenter.o...-of-happiness/

Comments

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Buddhism is broad minded enough for Americans to "Americanize" their epistemolgy of it and, as long as they do not try to export it and beleive they know better, then Americanisation is fine

:)

• edited May 2011
    Buddhism is broad minded enough for Americans to "Americanize"...it and, as long as they do not try to export it and beleive they know better, then Americanisation is fine
    That makes no sense. They'd be "exporting" an "import." MAYBE they do know better. "Ethnocentrism" goes both ways.

Who the frack is Miley Cyrus?

plezeB@eze
    Bucky

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited May 2011

:bowdown:
    edited May 2011
    MAYBE they do know better.
    I found it difficult to believe you swallowed such a bait.

Worse, what you said is conceited, false & pathetic.

:-/
    edited May 2011
    "Whatever recluses and Brahmans, Sona, hold views such as 'I am better [than you],' 'I am equal [to you],' or 'I am worse [than you]', what else are they but folk who do not see things as they really are?

"But, Sona, whatever recluses and Brahmans do not hold such views... What else are they but those who see things as they really are?"

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.049.wlsh.html

Commentary: http://dharmafarer.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/31.13-Mana-Sona-S-1-s22.49-piya.pdf
  • Who the frack is Miley Cyrus?
    An American export.

:D
    edited May 2011
    At the other end of a spectrum, vipassana-derived mindfulness practices are taught in hospitals, clinics, prisons, and schools without any hint of their Buddhist source. Here the practice is primarily offered as an effective method of stress reduction, pain management, and self-understanding.
    This makes no sense at all.

Mindfulness does not derive from vipassana. Vipassana, if one is lucky, derives from mindfulness.

Vipassana is to see clearly the Three Characteristics, the Four Noble Truths, etc.

If you wish to learn about vipassana, try the following from a Thai Asian, rather than this bubble-gum watered down American supermarket Wal-Mart Buddhism

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books3/Buddhadasa_Anapanasati-Fourth_Tetra.pdf

edited May 2011
    “The Dharma is so disguised that it could never be proven in court.” Similarly, Jon Kabat-Zinn’s much-copied work at the Stress Reduction Clinic of the University of Massachusetts Medical Center and his book Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Pace Stress, Pain and Illness can be pointed to as “disguised” introductions of vipassana practice into American society.
    Stress reduction = 'samatha' rather than vipassana

No idea

:eek2:
    edited May 2011
    The primary purpose for which Mahasi offered his form of vipassana practice is the attainment of the first of the four traditional Theravada levels of sainthood (that is, stream entry; sotapatti) through the realization of nibbana, or enlightenment.
    Sounds "American" or just blind faith to an Asian guru?

The following video can set us straight about the delusions of "certifying stream enterers".

edited May 2011
    Mahasi was part of what is sometimes called a twentieth-century Theravada modernization movement and sometimes a revival of original and canonical Buddhist ideals.
    The methods of Mahasi have no basis in canonical Buddhist ideals but these Americans are asserting the opposite with any investigation. Just more blind faith & mindless guru worship.

The following video can set us straight.

edited May 2011
    When Asian teachers do talk about freedom, it is primarily in reference to what one is free from-that is, from greed, hate, delusion, grasping, attachment, wrong view, self, and most significantly, rebirth. For the Asian teachers the religious path ends with final freedom or nibbana, which has no purpose beyond itself.

In contrast, the Western teachers often stress the potential found through freedom. Freedom is a means to living happily, compassionately, and wisely without drastic changes in lifestyle. So Joseph Goldstein writes:

We practice the Dharma in order … to be free. That is the heart of all the effort we make, because from freedom come connectedness, compassion, loving-kindness, and peace…. The Buddha saw with such clarity how different states of mind and courses of action lead to different results. Unwholesome mind states have certain consequences. Wholesome mind states have results of their own. As we begin to understand the truth of how things are, we see for ourselves what brings suffering in our lives, and what brings happiness and freedom.
    Joseph above is just teaching Christianity under the banner of Buddhism.

Connectedness, compassion & loving-kindness cannot bring liberation.

Connectedness, compassion & loving-kindness cannot bring total peace.

Unwholesome and wholesome are mundane teachings of the Buddha, unrelated to liberation.

The Buddha made this clear when he distinguished betweem supramundane (lokuttara) and mundane (lokiya) dhamma.

The teachings of Joseph Goldstein are beneficial for morally disfunctional Americans but are unrelated to the essence of the Buddhist teachings.

Certainly, the above excerpt shows Americans do not do it "better".

It is just adapting some peripheral Buddhist principles to the needs of the audience, which, as I said in the beginning, is fine.

In Asia, most of society is not disfunctional.

I listened to an American bhikkhuni recently trying to teach her audience about the connectedness of Asian relationships.

• Thanks buck! Great article. Gil Fronsdal is awesom.
  • edited May 2011
    MAYBE they do know better.
    I found it difficult to believe you swallowed such a bait.
    You're a baiter?

• At the other end of a spectrum, vipassana-derived mindfulness practices are taught in hospitals, clinics, prisons, and schools without any hint of their Buddhist source. Here the practice is primarily offered as an effective method of stress reduction, pain management, and self-understanding.
    This makes no sense at all.

Mindfulness does not derive from vipassana. Vipassana, if one is lucky, derives from mindfulness.

Vipassana is to see clearly the Three Characteristics, the Four Noble Truths, etc.

If you wish to learn about vipassana, try the following from a Thai Asian, rather than this bubble-gum watered down American supermarket Wal-Mart Buddhism

Gil was making an OBSERVATION, not encouraging or discourage the practice one way or another.
  • edited May 2011
    DD: I don't watch video on my computer, so I can't comment on those. & I'm CURRENTLY not interested in reading Buddhadasa or about Buddhadasa. I'm not attempting to discourage, just giving you general heads-up. I'm sure other people find them useful though. I have access to plenty of competent American teachers to keep me appropriately occupied.
  • edited May 2011

Joseph...is just teaching Christianity under the banner of Buddhism.
    Why would a Jew teach Christianity?
    The Buddha made this clear when he distinguished betweem supramundane
    READ: the real, REAL, esoteric/secret/inner cabal/I-have-it-&-you-don't, with a capital "T" Truth!

• I don't see anything wrong with people practicing Buddhist meditation techniques only, as long as they don't purport to be practicing Buddhism (after all, it's 4 Noble Truths + 8fold Path, not a 2fold Path).
  • (...it's 4 Noble Truths + 8fold Path, not a 2fold Path).
    2fold Path? I've never heard of that. Is that one of those SUPRAMUNDANE teachings? I can't keep up with all these inner-INNER-circles/higher-HIGHER Dhamma truths!!!
    :buck:
  • edited May 2011
    as long as they don't purport to be practicing Buddhism
    Why, is "purporting" harmful?

• Why the need to label what one is doing (especially) if one must also change the definition of a label to do so?
  • edited May 2011
    (...it's 4 Noble Truths + 8fold Path, not a 2fold Path).
    2fold Path? I've never heard of that.
    Exactly.
    edited May 2011

Joseph...is just teaching Christianity under the banner of Buddhism.
    Why would a Jew teach Christianity?
    The Buddha made this clear when he distinguished betweem supramundane
    READ: the real, REAL, esoteric/secret/inner cabal/I-have-it-&-you-don't, with a capital "T" Truth!
    Bizarre question.

The doctrine of 100% unconditional love isn't exactly found in the Jewish teachings now, is it? At least not in the OT. Such the reason for so many Jews being attracted to Buddhism.

As for the rest of your post, it is non-sense.

There is nothing in the article that is esoteric nor did the Buddha have any esoteric teachings.

As I said, my impression has been for many years that the vipassana movt in the USA is mostly a psychotherapy movt for morally disfunctional Americans that have pyschological issues due to an absence of clear moral values & behaviours and an incapacity to let go of ego due to heavy childhood conditioning about needing to be "successful" & "superior".

It is an observable point that the lay practitioners that declare themselves to be arahants, despite still engaging in worldly activities such as sexual copulation, are for the most part, if not exclusively, American and from the "vipasana" movt, eg, Daniel Ingram

Regards

"What more does the community of bhikkhus expect from me, Ananda? I have set forth the Dhamma without making any distinction of esoteric and exoteric doctrine; there is nothing, Ananda, with regard to the teachings that the Tathagata holds to the last with the closed fist of a teacher who keeps some things back.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.16.1-6.vaji.html

edited May 2011
    I can't keep up with all these inner-INNER-circles/higher-HIGHER Dhamma truths!!! :buck:
    That is obvious.

However, this does not occur because your mind has some intellectual deficiency.

It occurs probably because of a lack of learning and also, I must say, imo, due to a heavy ethnomaorphtryustycistrisic bias.

The Buddha instructed ordinary laypeople, let alone path practitioners, to develop a mind free from bias or prejudice (agati), of which there are four kinds, namely, bias due to love, bias due to hate, bias due to fear and bias due to ignorance.

I have noticed a struggle in your posts to accomodate non-American ideas, such as regarding the self-absorbed cravings of a rogue nun to be more important than the cultural values of Thailand that are designed to prevent their society from degenerating into the moral & social kaos that is American culture; a culture causing its individuals to flock to various forms of psychotherapy, including Buddhist psychotherapy.

The core Buddha-Dhamma teachings are not about love. The Buddha-Dhamma love teachings are just the basics for ordinary folks living in the secular world of myriad relationships.

Regards

Others will have no learning; we shall be learned here — thus effacement can be done.

A person without learning has acquisition of great learning by which to avoid it.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.008.nypo.html
  • I don't see anything wrong with people practicing Buddhist meditation techniques only, as long as they don't purport to be practicing Buddhism (after all, it's 4 Noble Truths + 8fold Path, not a 2fold Path).
    First, many people define practicing Buddhism as burning incense and giving donations to a temple. It's tough to say that these people aren't practicing "Buddhism" since many of these people are born as Buddhists.

Second, IF meditation is done correctly, the truths of the Four Noble Truths and the 8-Fold Path will make itself apparent to them over time.

However, I agree with the spirit of what you are saying. If someone meditates without gaining insight into the 4nt or 8fp, then something is wrong.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    "I have noticed a struggle in your posts to accomodate non-American ideas, such as regarding the self-absorbed cravings of a rogue nun to be more important than the cultural values of Thailand that are designed to prevent their society from degenerating into the moral & social kaos that is American culture; a culture causing its individuals to flock to various forms of psychotherapy, including Buddhist psychotherapy."

Could you explain whether the ideas the nun presented or her character were impeachable? If the ideas then could you present your argument for why those ideas are flawed? And if the character then why is that relevant to the ideas? Why do you think that psychotherapy is responsible for moral and social chaos? Doesn't therapy help integrate the personality resulting in well adjusted people, at least going more in that direction? Are you saying that nobody benefits from therapy? If so then why do they pay over a hundred dollars an hour in order to not benefit?
    edited May 2011
    Could you explain whether the ideas the nun presented or her character were impeachable? If the ideas then could you present your argument for why those ideas are flawed? And if the character then why is that relevant to the ideas? Why do you think that psychotherapy is responsible for moral and social chaos? Doesn't therapy help integrate the personality resulting in well adjusted people, at least going more in that direction? Are you saying that nobody benefits from therapy? If so then why do they pay over a hundred dollars an hour in order to not benefit?
    Hi J

I do not recall saying or inferring psychotherapy is responsible for moral and social chaos. I do recall saying moral and social chaos is responsible for the need for psychotherapy. I am certainly not saying nobody benefits from therapy. I would never say that.

I was simply saying Buddhist teachings that help integrate the personality are not the core Buddhist teachings therefore not "better" as was implied.

As for the nun's impeachment:

(1) A mind of emptiness was not displayed. In Thailand, this is regarded as a waste of alms food. Despite many superstitions to the contrary, a monk/nun must earn their alms food through practise. The Thai people largely financed & supported the monastery the nun lived in for many years so such an impeachment accords to Thai views.

(2) The Western Forest Sangha system was described as "harmful patriarchy". So monks were accused of engaging in harmful behaviour, most notably Ajahn Sumedho, who was the leader of the "harmful" monastery that was "escaped" from, despite the nun living there by her own free will.

(3) Ajahn Sumedho was later praised. This shows contradiction, confusion &/or an unwholesome motive. Theravada Bhikkhunis must earn their livelihood in a wholesome way, which means to not push worldly & personal agendas to gain followers & benefactors. It might be OK for HHDL to attract followers who have a contempt for communism but such behaviour is not befitting of a Theravada Bhikkhuni. The nun is simply feeding the defilements & ignorance of her listeners.

These are some of my grounds for "impeachment".

This bullchit needs to stop, now! The monks & nuns caught up in the bhikkhuni matter are demonising the Thai Sangha in the minds of their unknowledgable supporters. They are engaged in "wedge politics" as a way to gain supporters & benefactors.

Kind regards

:hiding:
  • edited May 2011
    lay practitioners that declare themselves to be arahants..."
    Like who? Idk who Daniel Ingram is.

• DD: Where does the term "Buddha-Dhamma" appear in the Pali Canon?

DD & Jeffrey: The impeachment is a thought experiment for this thread, right? IOW, does an actual impeachment process like the one you've presented here exist?

Regards,
    bucky
  • edited May 2011
    DD: Guru worship in America? That's laughable! You don't live in the states, do you? When someone worships a guru in Amuhrickuh! that's called being a member of a cult
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2011
    DD, I agree that the demonizing should stop. And thank you for clearing up your comments for me. What I don't agree with would be that their concerns and desires for (a females not necessarily their) ordination are incorrect. I don't think we have examined that question.

BuckyG, I meant the word impeachment not as it is reflected of the president for example. I think the process for the impeachment comes from the word impeachment which originally had a broader meaning of 'to bring an accusation against'.
  • Greetings Jeffrey:
    I wasn't clear. I meant impeachment PROCESSES in Wats. No worries. I'll check out the thread on what to do w/unruly nuns & monks.
    Metta,
    Bucky

• Stress reduction = 'samatha' rather than vipassana
    Greetings DD:
    That's true.
    Metta :)
    bucky

• I have noticed a struggle in your posts to...
    DD, r u trying to psychoanalyze me?

• Vipassana is to see clearly the Three Characteristics, the Four Noble Truths, etc.

Greetings DD:
    Gil Fronsdal HIMSELF knows AND teaches exactly what you stated (quote above) regarding the point of insight. Most, if not all, of his teachers were Asian. Are you trying to demonize Gil just because he's an American? You're not suggesting Buddhadasa's anapanasati teachings are the only ones worth following, are you?
    Metta,
    bucky
  • DD, I agree that the demonizing should stop.
    Greetings Jeffrey:
    Who do you think's being demonized?
    bucky
  • edited May 2011

(1) A mind of emptiness was not displayed.
    How does one detect a mind of emptiness in another?
    In Thailand
    ...is this the "impeachment" venue? If so, it is not appropriate....
    The monks & nuns caught up in the bhikkhuni matter are demonising the Thai Sangha in the minds of their unknowledgable supporters. They are engaged in "wedge politics" as a way to gain supporters & benefactors.
    You're absolutely right! Demonizing IS happening. By you!! You're trying to demonize "the nuns caught up in the bhikkhuni matter." Are your revered teachers completely a-political?

bucky
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Any demonizing should stop. I don't exactly know what is going on. Probably all sides are polarized and angry. Not at peace.
  • the most beautiful woman in usa today.

:bowdown:
  • Greetings Professor Dhamma Dhatu:
    I find the following phrases you've used in this thread intentionally inflammatory & accusatory:
    -"bubble-gum watered down American supermarket Wal-Mart Buddhism;"
    -"blind faith & mindless guru worship"
    -"morally disfunctional Americans"
    -"Americans...have pyschological issues due to an absence of clear moral values & behaviours and an incapacity to let go of ego due to heavy childhood conditioning"
    -"the cultural values of Thailand...are designed to prevent their society from degenerating into the moral & social kaos that is American culture; a culture causing its individuals to flock to various forms of psychotherapy"
    You owe the Americans on this site an apoligy.
    Metta
    bucky
  • edited May 2011
    Dear Dr. Dhamma Dhatu:
    Your criticisms of American culture often remind me of Amma Thanasanti Bhikkhuni's criticisms of American culture. This seems incompatible with your contention that shes just another self-absorbed, American, feminist, cry baby-- doesn't it?
    Metta,
    bucky
  • Dhamma Dhatu has many flaws.
    Many members of this forum will testify to that.
    But lets not get into nationalistic feelings.
    'apologise to all americans???'
    'be nice to all earthlings' is much better.
  • DD, while you are at it, how about an apology
    to Robina Courtin & ajahn brahm?
  • Prof. Dhatu:

When I got to the part of Ven. Pasanno's talk on Visakha Puja (http://www.viet.net/anson/ebud/ebdha287.htm) where he says,
    "The Buddha's quest for enlightenment was inextricably bound to love and compassion for others," it reminded me of your
    ...compassion & loving-kindness cannot bring liberation.... compassion & loving-kindness cannot bring total peace.
    You seem to be in disagreement with Ven. Pasanno here.

Metta,
    bg

edited May 2011
    You seem to be in disagreement with Ven. Pasanno here.
    Definitely not.

The Buddha was certainly motivated by compassion but not by "idiot compassion"

What I posted was intended to free your mind from ethnousyeghhfigagia

With metta-karuna

edited May 2011
    DD, while you are at it, how about an apology
    to Robina Courtin & ajahn brahm?
    Unnecessary. If AB and RC taught the same as the Buddha on certain topic as they or their followers claim they do, I would be required to apologise.

DD is blameless.

:om: