Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How do we know the Buddha and Path are reliable?

JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
edited May 2011 in Philosophy
So how do we know that the Buddha and Path are reliable. That they are completely and absolutely entirely and literaly leading (lead) to freedom from suffering?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Kalama sutta.

Really, is this necessary?
    I mean, is it really?
    Do you really need to repeat things?
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    Since I've started practicing a lot of greed and ill will I had has been abandoned and did not come back. I don't see any reason why it would not be possible to let these go forever. Also I think nobody could come up with such a teaching like this if it wasn't true.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    confidence grows as one has insights into the nature of reality.

at the end of the day it either sounds like rubbish or it all hits home.

do it yourself and see if it works. if it works you get confidence in the dharma. if it doesn't. you get disillusioned.

lol
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    Until a person experiences it for themself, then I would say we don't know for sure, so we need to have some **Whisper** Faith **Whisper** sorry some people don't like to use this word. :rolleyes:
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited May 2011
    faith has such a negative charge to it. well that is my perspective on it.

i'd rather use a word like confidence.

but eventually even that confidence is dropped, because one will one day see how reality is.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    So as the kalama sutra would imply that we don't know whether the buddha/path are reliable until we become a buddha, correct? I know that buddhism is benefitial, but how do I know that it relieves all suffering? Knitting is pleasing but I don't know if knitting relieves all suffering. Probably not.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    We have the kalama sutra but we are questioning the whole buddhist path including the sutrayana. You can't establish such a question by referring to the sutras themselves. Such a practice is critized when Christians establish the method to approach the bible by scripture in the Bible.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    i think a healthy amount of doubt is good. take that doubt and examine whether or not buddhism relieves suffering.

your mind is the one asking questions.
    all your answers are in the heart.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    So as the kalama sutra would imply that we don't know whether the buddha/path are reliable until we become a buddha, correct?
    No. According to the suttas a stream enterer already has unshakable faith in the enlightenment of the Buddha, so you don't need to become a Buddha to know it.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    taiyaki so you sort of go in a direction. In chemistry there was a test of a molecule called nuclear magnetic resonance. To get a correct test you had to get the magnetic fields just right. You first adjusted one aspect until you got a signal. Then another. The next one affected the first one and so you had to go backwards to the first. There were 4 or 5 dials. This was called 'shimming'. So that sounds like an analogy to going in a direction of lessening suffering.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    "No. According to the suttas a stream enterer already has unshakable faith in the enlightenment of the Buddha, so you don't need to become a Buddha to know it."

But the question is on the path and buddha. Without establishing the path including sutras we cannot establish the buddha.

And indeed we cannot know if stream entry exists until we match our experience to stream entry.
    I don't think you need to be a Buddha to convince yourself that the Buddha and Path are reliable. As you progress on the Buddhist path, the differences you see and experience should make your faith in the Buddhist path become stronger until eventually you are convinced.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Zidangus what about my analogy to knitting. What if knitting leads to differences in your peace of mind and ability to cope? What if Tony Rollins or Dale Carnegie motivational lectures do? Christianity? etc
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    in my opinion awakening to right view starts the path.
    without right view there is no path.
    thus the goal is to have an existential realization of right view.

the unshakable faith arises from ones own awakening into the nature of reality.
    now whether they become a stream-enterer or a full on arhat all depends on how far they dive into the rabbit hole.

prior to awakening, one must test the four noble truths. are these correct? the buddha talked about an objective truth that applied in every situation. based on my observation and experience he nailed it with the four noble truths. they're always going to be right, since they have been right in my own personal experience.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Zidangus what about my analogy to knitting. What if knitting leads to differences in your peace of mind and ability to cope? What if Tony Rollins or Dale Carnegie motivational lectures do? Christianity? etc
    everyones different, thus everyone needs different things. we're all on different paths.
    work on what works for you. don't concern yourself with others.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    The third noble truth is the kicker because we are still experiencing suffering. So we realize the third noble truth as lessening of suffering rather than freedom from suffering. I do think we get 'glimpses' and these are important. Times when we get a taste of liberation from suffering. Enough to wet the appetite.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2011

And indeed we cannot know if stream entry exists until we match our experience to stream entry.
    Indeed. But that's with all things. You can't know anything exists until you've experienced it yourself. Still you could have some faith in the words of others. For example I've never personally seen a black hole (let alone touched one ;):p ) but I still think they exist because scientists say so. Some others might have to redo the calculations before they believe it.

The same in Buddhism. To get enlightened we have to use either wisdom or faith. Faith-followers and Dharma-followers, these are two main types of followers, so without faith but a lot of wisdom you could still get there. But of course a combination of both is also possible.

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    in a way you kind of have to throw yourself into the fire.
    we do that through meditation. we sit there and deal with all the shit that arises.
    stuff from the past. stuff in relation to the future.

we sit there until we realize the dharma. not intellectually, but until we realize we ourselves are the embodiment of truth.
    we ourselves have experienced the four noble truths. we ourselves are a living example of truth.

all we can do is sincerely observe and be honest with our own experiences. when we sit in meditation, we come with a lot of things, but the goal is to leave with nothing. to just sit here and be the space that allows for all the suffering to happen.

in a way when you accept suffering with all your heart. notice the word heart. YOUR MIND CANNOT ACCEPT SUFFERING. the heart can endure. when you accept it all. your suffering and the suffering of others. that is true liberation. running away from suffering. or denying it is just the mind working. the unconditional heart accepts it all.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Indeed, well said taiyaki. Meditation is the key.

You can really test the 4 noble truths in meditation. For example when you are attached to thinking about the future, but can drop it for a while you'll feel more peaceful. And if you don't feel peaceful, all craving just makes things worse.

Of course this is not a full realization of the dhamma, but at least it gives some confidence. This will grow and grow if you continue the practice.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran

Indeed. But that's with all things. You can't know anything exists until you've experienced it yourself. Still you could have some faith in the words of others. For example I've never personally seen a black hole (let alone touched one ;):p ) but I still think they exist because scientists say so. Some others might have to redo the calculations before they believe it.

The same in Buddhism. To get enlightened we have to use either wisdom or faith. Faith-followers and Dharma-followers, these are two main types of followers, so without faith but a lot of wisdom you could still get there. But of course a combination of both is also possible.

yes i like how you break down and give the examples of different paths.
    there is the faith based path which in a way is devotional. this path is just like christianity. it is the path of the heart.
    there is also the wisdom path which is based more on philosophy and insight. this is the path of the mind.
    and there is the combination of both heart and mind. the buddha is the embodiment of both heart and mind. both working equally together.

so in a way one may begin with the mind, but end up with the heart.
    one may begin with the heart and end up with the mind.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Taiyaki,

I often have times when suffering lessens, but the release of its grip is almost miraculous. Obviously I cannot will it or thats what I would choose to do at all times. We can observe that we are suffering. And tune into that experience. We can try out the 8 fold path and 'shim it' or see what advice of the eightfold path is helpful. We can study and meditate and hope right view dawns on us. Its kind of frightening. Theres always some teachers who warn that you can practice for years and it doesn't change much.
    edited May 2011
    If they do have that affect, then this is good. At the end of the day, a person has to want to believe that what there doing is the right way to go, be it through experience, reasoning, or faith. If they do not have some sort of faith in what they believed, then I pretty sure that they would drop Buddhism or any other belief very quickly.
    I know my Buddhist path started with reasoning on what the Buddhist teachings say, then this led to faith being developed once I convinced myself that the teachings seemed logical, and this faith has been growing each day I see small but noticeable differences to my attitudes and behaviour, though I cannot confess to any big inspiring insight, I can see the gradual changes.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    In the tibetan tradition the heart and mind are the same thing. The mind is the vast space and the heart is the center of the mandala which cannot be pinned down. Yet the heart is felt even in some course ways. From poetic verse to apes beating on their chests.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Taiyaki,

I often have times when suffering lessens, but the release of its grip is almost miraculous. Obviously I cannot will it or thats what I would choose to do at all times. We can observe that we are suffering. And tune into that experience. We can try out the 8 fold path and 'shim it' or see what advice of the eightfold path is helpful. We can study and meditate and hope right view dawns on us. Its kind of frightening. Theres always some teachers who warn that you can practice for years and it doesn't change much.

If it doesn't change much at least it changed a little. If it doesn't change little, you're not doing the correct practice.
  • In the book, How to Raise an Ox: Zen Practice as Taught in Master Dogen's Shobogenzo,, Francis Dojun Cook writes:

"For Christians there is never a time when faith is no longer important, for the tenets of their belief are not experientially validated in the same way as the doctrines of Buddhism. For Buddhists, faith, while it is necessary in the first phase of development, is something that eventually becomes transformed. In Buddhism, there is a vast difference between believing that all things are impermanent and realizing that they are; but before that belief becomes true knowledge, one must practice in the faith that it is so, and will eventually be proven to be so by one's experience... Acceptance of Buddhist doctrines is provisional because of the necessity of eventually replacing faith in them with experiential knowledge. Thus faith is anticipation of validation... And because Zen Buddhism as a religion is based on each individual's realization of the Buddha's own enlightenment, ideally, there can never be a question of reliance on faith alone throughout life."

So... you won't know unless you try! Faith in the Buddhadharma is provisional (again, just more skillful means) and should, over time, with practise, be replaced with realisation. In other words, faith does eventually outlive its use. This is indeed "faith," but it doesn't have exactly the same function as it does in Christianity.
  • edited May 2011
    So how do we know that the Buddha and Path are reliable. That they are completely and absolutely entirely and literaly leading (lead) to freedom from suffering?
    We don't know this, we have to see and experience it ourselves. My experience is that it can reduce the human suffering, but I don't think it can vanish completely. Maybe we find methods which will help us deal with suffering. But I don't think we can be free completely of suffering as long as we have a human body.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    right view is seeing reality as it is, right now.
    so right now all i see is my computer and various other things on my table.

that's all there is. my problems aren't here with me, unless i allow them to be here with me.
    so again all suffering is a choice. many people would disagree, but i am asserting that all suffering is a choice.
    you choose what to bring in this moment. either a happy thought or a sad thought. up to you. even if a thought asserts itself, you have a choice on how to respond to that thought or even just ignore it. so say a sad thought pops up. i can just laugh at it or i can just watch it do its thing. when you are mindful of the arising and falling of thoughts and feelings, they LOSE their power. Just be as aware/mindful as you possible can RIGHT NOW.

That will be your foundation to everything. That will be the teacher that will teach you everything. That will be what brings you your freedom from all the suffering. That space you create, where you are just mindful of things arising and falling. From here you can develop the courage to allow things to just be. From here you can develop the compassion even for your suffering and even for yourself. From here you can watch all your thoughts and feelings in a detached but accepting point of view. The MIND judges and asserts a position on what is suffering and what isn't. Ignore the mind. Just watch it.

Watching here and now. That is the only thing we all have to do.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Some Christians say that the holy spirit comes to them.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I don't think you can totally choose your thoughts, but you can choose to ease up and cheer up. Or mope. There is more control than we might feel at times. At those times its good to realize that our thinking is (maybe) not accurate. Because when you are down you think that you have always been down, but it is slanted.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    All thinking is inaccurate.
    Just be and watch your thinking and emotions.

Meditation is simple. The MIND complicates.
    Hell you don't even need to meditate. Just here right now BE MINDFUL.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2011
    The Buddha advised the cause for faith in the Path is suffering.

If we can confirm our suffering & its causes are as the Buddha taught then this is a step in gaining confidence in the dhammas pertaining to freedom from suffering.

If we can agree with the teacher about suffering & its causes then we can probably offer a little trust to the teacher about suffering's cessation.

Kind regards

:)

• Some Christians say that the holy spirit comes to them.
    It does. But one must "die" or "let go" to receive it.

• edited May 2011
    Jeffrey, it's about having faith in the dharma, in the path. This is where faith comes into Buddhism. (This has been discussed elsewhere.) Have you tested the teachings and the practices yourself? So far so good? So, you take the rest on faith.

I don't see how the Kalama Suttra has anything do do with it. That was instructions to lay people about how to discern between false teachers and those who truly know the dharma. Jeffrey's asking a completely different question.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    You learn the path is reliable by walking it. :)
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited May 2011
    May I suggets the first chapter of this book:
    Chapter 1 ...(Meditation: Why Should I Bother?)
    http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe.html
    He gives a good overview of why we should practice. Is the path reliable? I can't answer that for you. I can say for myself my study began years ago by picking up a book that had some decent Japanese artwork in it, it was cheap, I like art so I bought it. It also had a section on Zen Buddhist philosophy and how it influenced Japan. I read that and said "that makes sense". It blew me away, I had never heard anything like it.I find the Dhamma full of wisdom and truth. It works for me and has led to some very good things in my life. Does it make sense to you? Is it fruitful practice for you? Does it work in your life? Is it reliable right now? Does knitting or Christianity (to use your examples)answer these questions in the affirmative?
    All the best Jeffrey,
    Todd

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    We only have this groundless-ground, nothing is for sure, but suffering or happiness is our choice. We choose to make or not make I or mine and we inherit that choice. The Buddha only pointed the way.
    All the best,
    Todd
  • From my experience I was lead to Buddhism through a vision I had while meditating (not the classical meditation, but another form that I don't want to elaborate here for it is not its proper place, it belongs more to the New Agie stuff :p ). I felt what liberation means within my heart. I just felt it, and I saw I was wearing a cloth that Japanese monks wear. So I begun my search on Zen Buddhism and then on Buddhism in general.

My point is that I first experienced in my heart what liberation felt like and then realized to which tradition it was connected to. To be more accurate, I had a feeling of freedom, and expansion in my heart, and I said to my self as I was in this deep trance state, this is liberation. But from my spiritual experience you cannot sustain this state for long, for you are a human being. You can strive to keep up, but for me as long as we have a human nature you cannot avoid suffering, or craving but you can train yourself little by little to lessen its impact in your life. One master said it is not how long you can sustain the state of tranquillity or equanimity, as it is referred to in Buddhism, but how quickly you can return to it. Even only taking refuge to the Buddha can make a huge difference in your life...
  • Also, I believe that Shakyamuni Buddha was a human, a great master but still a human. So, he perceived reality from his own view of reality conditioned by his upbringing. Now of course you might say that he got enlightened and was removed from these elements, having the ability to perceive the unfathomable reality, but still language is a barrier to fully transmit the knowledge of Spiritual attainment to others and is conditioned to once upbringing. It would be advisable to all of us to expand our knowledge beyond the words of the Buddha as described in the Pali cannon, to the sutras and even the Tantras of the Vajrayana and see more elements that could shed some light to Shakyamuni Buddha's teachings...IMHO
  • So how do we know that the Buddha and Path are reliable. That they are completely and absolutely entirely and literaly leading (lead) to freedom from suffering?
    We don't know, and are taught by the Buddha to question the path and the teaching with the same rigour as we should question all claims. But it is practice, not questioning, that will lead away from suffering.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Whatever the discussion and whatever the 'authentic' references cited, the plain fact is that you can't and don't know until you do it.
  • Kalama sutta.

Really, is this necessary?
    I mean, is it really?
    Do you really need to repeat things?
    I do understand your frustration, Fede, but I think that this is a question which could be pinned as an announcement: it is, after all, the question that every person must ask - and answer - for themselves when they first encounter Buddhisms.

It is, of course, not the first question that they will have been asking. Just like Gotama, we each encounter the reality of what we come to call dukkha. "Why is there all this sh*t?" we ask ourselves and set off looking for answers.

The contemporary emphasis of empirical evidence as we encounter the panoply of "answers" that are offered forces the "How do we know?" question on us. The problem, as William James encountered, is that empirical proof is not available, only personal experience. And other people's experience remains anecdotal to us unless we trust that other. This is the circularity of any argument about the authority of the Teachers. Moses on the mountain, Mohammed and Gabriel, Gotama under his tree - where do we put our trust?

It is not enough to tell people to try it because the very act of trying has a deep psychological effect, as Pascal notes. In fact, trying a particular discipline will, to some extent, bring heart and mind into alignment too and become a self-fulfilling prophecy. This is the danger of the radicalising process: we are very open to persuasion.

In answer to the question of 'reliability', it all depends, as ever, on what we mean by 'reliable'. I imagine that there are many, both here and around the world, who are testing or have tested a Buddhist way without really reliable, permanent effects. They may add "yet" or they may have given up as a bad job. I know quite a few and I realise that I cannot persuade them.

So, in answer to the question, we come to know that the way is reliable because we persuade ourselves that it is. Not very comforting but just the way we are.

• hi Simonthepilgrim

Thank's for the post.

>>>>So, in answer to the question, we come to know that the way is reliable because we persuade ourselves that it is. Not very comforting but just the way we are.

Can it not be: We come to know that the way is reliable because it is reliable.

peace
  • hi Simonthepilgrim

Thank's for the post.

>>>>So, in answer to the question, we come to know that the way is reliable because we persuade ourselves that it is. Not very comforting but just the way we are.

Can it not be: We come to know that the way is reliable because it is reliable.

peace
    Of course. And there is no problem there unless and until we try to assert that it is the only reliable way,

You got a good head on you Simon, thanks for the post.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    By stopping the questions and upping the sitting!
    This is coming from experience and asking the same questions.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Simon I think I did encounter suffering and but in a sense I didn't really reflect that.... Somehow. I mean I wanted something to lift me out of the suffering. But now that I am not suffering, now that my medicine is working better and I have adjusted to an identity crisis of being disabled. Now those issues come up. I had a very strong faith and somewhat the balance between sradda (faith) and prajna (questioning-intelligence) has shifted somewhat for me and it is uncertain unfamiliar territory.
  • tl;dr

Sit regularly and with resolve, and you'll have your answers
  • So how do we know that the Buddha and Path are reliable. That they are completely and absolutely entirely and literaly leading (lead) to freedom from suffering?
    Experience trumps belief (and hope IMO). Gotta do it I guess.
  • LostieLostie Veteran
    edited May 2011
    @Jeff,

That's why they call it a leap of faith.

And to Mod Fed, it's a valid question to be repeated and that is necessary to be asked along the path.

Happy Vesak's Day to one & all! :)
  • Common sense would say. Do good receive good. Do bad receive bad. Pretty widespread reliableness to me.