Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Who Was Jesus Christ?

VagabondVagabond Explorer
edited May 2011 in Faith & Religion
First and foremost, I am sorry if this question came up on this forum a million and a half times before me. I can imagine that it did, since you know, Jesus is a pretty popular guy and all. Anywho...
Who is Jesus to you? I've met many people who believe he was the son of God, many who believe he was a fraud, many who believed he was enlightened (either from learning buddhism or not), and a select few who believe that he never existed and is just a fictional character.

Me personally...I don't know what to believe. I guess I believe he was a real person, probably not "the son of God", how many Christians interpret that. But, I guess he definitely could've been a man of greater power that we can't necessarily fathom as human beings. Not sure, I wasn't there, lol. Let me know what you think.

Comments

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    just another man who found the divine within him.
    there's enough of them. they're everywhere.

jesus christ was ahead of his time, thus they killed him Lol.

the funny thing is people look at only his miracles. when jesus asserted to love everyone as your brother/sister is the greatest miracle.

honestly, i feel bad for the guy. they totally hijacked his message and turned it into politics.

his message was love. so simple. so honest.
  • VagabondVagabond Explorer
    edited May 2011
    do u believe he was destined to die for people's sins?
    and do u believe he claimed to be the son of God?

and if yes, do u believe he truly believed that?
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited May 2011
    lol no. it is a narrative that points to what we have to do as well. we have to be willing to die on the cross for our sins. what is our sin? our sin is eating the apple from the tree of knowledge. what is that? DUALITY. meaning we chose knowledge over
    god. so that is our sin. when we repent we learn to become more simple and by our willingness to die, we gain the world.

so the story of jesus christ is about a man awakening to his divine nature, which we all are.

we are all children of god. since god "created" the universe, everything is god.

it doesn't matter if he believed it or not. even jesus doubted god. last minutes prior to his death jesus yells out WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME. the guy had great doubt.

when you get down to it, the christian message is the same message everyone else talks about. it's almost boring.
    it's all about love and awakening to your true nature. call it enlightenment. call it gnosis. it's all the same idea.

now many people are going to throw rocks at me. that's fine this is just my opinion.
    christians call it spirit. buddhists call it being. it's all the same idea.

jesus spoke about the kingdom of heaven. and people just ran nuts with that concept. the kingdom of heaven is no different than nirvana. WHICH IS HERE RIGHT NOW. not in some distant future or place.

it doesn't even matter if jesus christ was a real person or not. he could just be a symbolic representation TO remind us of our highest potential. to remind us that we are divinity. we are god manifest.

god being the infinite potential and infinite expression. we are made in "his" image. Lol.

blasphemy? probably, but hell the christians can't even read the gospel of thomas and understand it.
    it is clearly pointing to non duality. MEH
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Posts combined to create one post, not three or four sequential ones by one member.
  • Jesus ultimately preached the end of the world and claimed to be Messiah - the savior of the Jews. The Jews-in-charge did of course not like that. In that sense he was "ahead of his time".

As regarding to the question about whether Jesus existed, I can only say that historians have never found any proof (though proof of a lot of other stuff from the period and way earlier is well known and found all the time). The safest bet - according to one of my country's best historians of religion who I happen to know (not subjectively best, she actually have the highest graded paper) - told me, that the most popular theory in the field is, that the character of Jesus is gathered from stories about different preachers. As today it was not uncommon for someone to claim to be The Savior.
  • edited May 2011
    @ taiyaki, you wrote: "jesus spoke about the kingdom of heaven. and people just ran nuts with that concept. the kingdom of heaven is no different than nirvana. WHICH IS HERE RIGHT NOW. not in some distant future or place."

I don't disagree with this, but you have to admit that this is a written statement, and as such it takes the conditional form, and in the conditional form, time exists, ergo we are still away from heaven/nirvana. When we reach this place, I suspect all writing, speech, thought, growth, etc. will be at an end.

I dont think we should fight the process of growth as much as so many Buddhist do. Many Buddhist seem preoccupied with stopping the flow of time and beating themselves into a state of "nowness". Personally, I see great usefulness in time and the conditioned state. It enables us to grow and to help the Other grow in ways which are critical. In the end of it all, one might say that the the true "Value" of it all did not come from enlightenment/nirvana/heaven but from the process which was taking us there, all the time, no matter how little or hard we tried.

Our only task is to wake up to that value, and there's no better place or time to start than now.

May All Beings Be Peaceful,
    Kunga
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    You might want to check this out: http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jcno.htm
    It seems to have a relatively balanced view of whether or not Jesus existed.

I don't KNOW about the "magic" aspects of Jesus -- such as the miracles attributed to him in the New Testament. Just as I don't KNOW if during enlightenment Buddha was spiritually uplifted and (to coin a phrase) saw all there is in eternity.

So I look at the teachings of Buddha and ask myself is there wisdom there that is worth incorporating into my life. And for me the answer is -- most definitely.

In the same way, I look at the teaching of Jesus and ask myself is there wisdom there that is worth incorporating into my life. And again, for me the answer is -- most definitely.

What bothers me about the Bible is the same thing that bothered Thomas Jefferson about it. I won't even get into the Old Testament. But in the New Testament, in the way it was written it could easily have been written by his followers for the purpose of glorifying Jesus, rather than being an accurate historical document. But, I'll keep an open mind. You may want to check out the "Jefferson Bible". Jefferson, as I mentioned, had doubts about the validity of all that was written in the New Testament. He composed a very short book which (as summarized by Wikipedia): "The Jefferson Bible, or The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth as it is formally titled, was Thomas Jefferson's effort to extract the doctrine of Jesus by removing sections of the New Testament containing supernatural aspects as well as perceived misinterpretations he believed had been added by the Four Evangelists." I'm not saying that Jefferson was totally successful in his effort, but his attempt is interesting.

I'm not going to get into my personal beliefs about Christianity here because this is a Buddhist forum. But I'll just summarize by saying that when I look at the words of any man -- Buddha, Jesus, whomever -- what I look at is the level of wisdom. And certainly, both Buddha and Jesus provided the world with a concept of a moral code that is admirable.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Me personally...I don't know what to believe.

Vagabond -- For my money, this is a pretty important point. If you don't know what to believe, what makes you believe you have to believe at all?

Beliefs all depend on the past and yet the past cannot be grasped or held or revised so belief amounts to relying on the unreliable. I'm not trying to be philosophically kool ... just trying to suggest that anyone might benefit from examining the beliefs and disbeliefs they embrace.
  • genkaku, thanks.
  • VagabondVagabond Explorer
    Me personally...I don't know what to believe.

Vagabond -- For my money, this is a pretty important point. If you don't know what to believe, what makes you believe you have to believe at all?

Beliefs all depend on the past and yet the past cannot be grasped or held or revised so belief amounts to relying on the unreliable. I'm not trying to be philosophically kool ... just trying to suggest that anyone might benefit from examining the beliefs and disbeliefs they embrace.
    I can respect that...and understand it for that matter lol. And yeah, I'm not a Christian anymore. Like I've said in other posts, I'm here because I study religion in my free time, and when I started, Buddhism was the only topic that made sense to me. But even so, I don't really see it as a religion...unless I were to worship something/one and believe in a creator maybe, which to me, will be impossible to do unless I am brainwashed and TRICKED somewhere down the road. Christianity never made perfect sense to me and my parents raised me with the "If you don't truly believe it, then don't believe it" kind of attitude, the same one which I saw in Buddha's teachings.

• I'm not sure what it means, to "die for people's sins". But I'd like to see the remains exhumed and studied from what is said to be Jesus' tomb in Kashmir, and also what's said to be his mother's grave not far from Jesus' tomb, in the town named after her.
    edited May 2011
    I'm not sure what it means, to "die for people's sins". But I'd like to see the remains exhumed and studied from what is said to be Jesus' tomb in Kashmir, and also what's said to be his mother's grave not far from Jesus' tomb, in the town named after her.
    CW -- For those as ignorant as I am, could you add a little historic or even mythological background about how Jesus' remains ended up in Kashmir. What I can gather from the internet is that no one really knows for sure where Jesus was buried, but the best guess is somewhere in Jerusalem. ... which is a fair distance from Kashmir. (Jammu, for example, is about 2,300 miles from Jerusalem).
  • Don't waste your time thinking about another being that arose and passed away. Instead immerse yourself in the Dhamma. Practice it. Make an end of suffering. Then nothing will be cause for you concern.
  • edited May 2011
    @genkaku I've discussed this here before, so I didn't want to harp on it, but since you ask: there's a theory that Jesus survived the crucifixion and fled Palestine, heading East with one of the caravans, accompanied by his mother, and Mary Magdalene, ending up in India and Kashmir. (The apostle Thomas was ministering to Jews in the region.) He spent the rest of his life teaching, and there's an elaborate tomb in Kashmir said to be his. Muslims knew him as the holy man, Yuz Assaf. Several people in the late 1800's and 1st half of the 1900's found an account of his life in the East in a Tibetan monastery in Leh, Kashmir. But this whole thing is controversial, needless to say. Someone had gotten permission from the local or regional authorities to exhume both Jesus and his mother (if that's who the remains represent), but 9/11 happened just before the tomb was scheduled to be opened, and since it's located in a muslim neighborhood, the research got nixed instantly. I'm interested in any research that sheds light on the truth of Biblical events, so if his burial is eventually found in Jerusalem, that would be exciting, too. But I'm totally intrigued by the Eastern theory. A Harvard-trained Orientalist found the Tibetan text, translated it, and published the results in US newspapers back in the 1930's.
    Thanks for taking the time, CW.
  • KartariKartari Explorer
    Hi Vagabond,
    do u believe he was destined to die for people's sins?
    No. After all those years of Catholic school growing up, and after discussing it with Christians of varying denominations, I never could grasp what the heck people even meant by this "dying for the sins of the world." It's imo a nonsensical statement.

As the Buddha said in the Dhammapada (paraphrasing), purity and impurity depend on oneself, noone can purify another. That makes a lot more sense to me. Which is in part why I rejected Christianity long ago.
    and do u believe he claimed to be the son of God?
    If such a man really existed (which is itself uncertain), it's possible he claimed this.
    and if yes, do u believe he truly believed that?
    It's possible.
  • Jesus went to kashmir, started a family & was
    buried there.
    Jesus went to kashmir, started a family & was
    buried there.
    That's a theory with no strong evidence. It could be. But that has never been proven to any degree of satisfaction.

• There is also a grave in japan said to belong to jesus.
    Maybe he ressurected and went to japan from kahmir.
    Kinda like conspiracy thinking. Somewhere there may be a different truth than is generally realized, but until there's something concrete we have to be very suspicious. There are hundreds of temples in Thailand that claim to have a bone of Buddha's body. Do we really believe all that?
  • Bone soup is very popular in some parts...
  • lol at the Jesus at Kashmir stuff again. Talk about gullible...
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited May 2011
    @ C_W

Have you read "Jesus: The Lost Years" ? It's slightly different in that I think the idea is he went east before being crucified.

Osho certainly stood by the survival of the crucifiction theory, saying that he died on the cross was a Roman conspiracy.

If that was found to be true (but it won't) I would have a good chuckle.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    lol at the Jesus at Kashmir stuff again. Talk about gullible...
    OK you win maybe.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited May 2011
    lol at the Jesus at Kashmir stuff again. Talk about gullible...
    I think an "agnostic" approach to this is best. We don't know until someone can prove it. (There's no tomb or marked grave of his in Jerusalem, but there is in Kashmir... Do you figure the Romans may have allowed construction on top of his grave, or hid it in some way, to downplay his importance?) We can't know he was buried in Jerusalem until someone can prove it. What about the Resurrection? Is that any more believable? Biblical scholars say there's a passage in John where Jesus says to John, after John finds him (or what he takes to be Jesus' spirit) in his tomb, "Why do you seek the living among the dead?" I don't have a bible, so I haven't checked to see if that's there.

I think the "Son of God" thing, along with the Resurrection, was made up afterwards at some point, to create or justify this religion. Does anyone know--did the Gnostic Christians believe Jesus was the Son of God?

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    lol couldn't you say we are all sons/daughters of God?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2011
    @ Dakini:
    No.
    This was incorporated into Religious Dogma by the Catholic council in around 400AD. (Not that I was there, but having been a RC in a "past Life" it's amazing what you're taught.....)
    The most widely-accepted definitions of the Incarnation and the nature of Jesus were made by the State church of the Roman Empire at the First Council of Nicaea in 325, the Council of Ephesus in 431, and the Council of Chalcedon in 451. These councils declared that Jesus was both fully God: begotten from, but not created by the Father; and fully man: taking his flesh and human nature from the Virgin Mary. These two natures, human and divine, were hypostatically united into the one personhood of Jesus Christ.[5]
    later the conclusion that Mary was a Virgin also had to be incorporated, because fornication was seen as the perpetuation of Original Sin. So she could never have possibly known a man, (thus begetting a son, Jesus, ... as Son of God, he could not possibly have been conceived in the conventional sense, because this would have made him guilty of original Sin!) so she was declared blessed amongst women and free of original Sin.

This is the correct meaning of the Immaculate Conception.
    She is the Immaculate Conception, not Jesus.
    lol couldn't you say we are all sons/daughters of God?
    You could. But there are still caveats....
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    Jesus Christ? He plays for Barcelona FC ..
  • @Dakini,

As far as resurrection and sent by God its a different can of worms. Im not even talking about that. There was a previous topic about this Jesus in Kashmir stuff and this "scholar" who found the tomb also believes in Planet X (Niburu), ancient aliens (Annunaki) and that Ancient Egyptians had helicopters.

There were quite a few other related silliness with other scholars. I believe there is as much evidence that he went to Kashmir as there is that he went to Mars.

I think the truth is that he was probably buried somewhere near Jerusalem and who knows if we will ever find it or if there is anything left to find.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    @ Dakini:
    No.
    This was incorporated into Religious Dogma by the Catholic council in around 400AD. (Not that I was there, but having been a RC in a "past Life" it's amazing what you're taught.....) This is what I had in mind, but I didn't have the specifics, thanks. It's great that they teach you this stuff, actually, because then you can see that these beliefs were imposed. I'm surprised they did teach that; I'd've thought they would want to keep that to themselves.
    I don't suppose they taught you when (it was at one of those Councils you mentioned, I think) it was decided to throw out reincarnation?

@Ric I'm still agnostic on the Kashmir issue. :)

• I bet he studied buddhism at one point.
    That's all it is.

A 'bet'.

@Dakini:

That went out in 1020AD
  • DakiniDakini Veteran

@Dakini: That went out in 1020AD
    Thank you! I didn't realize reincarnation as a doctrine/belief lasted so late, I thought it went out earlier. Do you have any more info on this? Why did they throw it out? Was it actually in any of the books of the bible or the New Testament, and they had to edit it out? Your Catholic Sunday school lessons are a goldmine of info! :)

• poptartpoptart Veteran
    My own personal opinion is he probably did live, and was a bodhisattva. It seems likely he was a holy man who developed a following and I think when he called himself the son of God he was trying to explain the divine in us all, not making himself out to be the object of worship.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    IMHO, Yeshua/Jesus was a wise and compassionate man that reformed what he perceived to be a harsh religion, making it more accessible and palatable to other races of humankind. It was time for change (the conditions were ripe).
  • I think he was a fictional character
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2011
    do u believe he was destined to die for people's sins...
    yes

what Jesus did is similar to the essence of the Vajrayana Bodhisatva, who saves others via his highly developed paramis

if we believe a Mahayana Bodhisatva's role is to impart the emptiness (sunyata) teachings in order to save all sentient beings, we are mistaken

this would the Mahayana Bodhisatva just the imparter of the Hinayana Path
    our sin is eating the apple from the tree of knowledge. what is that? DUALITY.
    this is just Hinayana or "self-salvation"

today's Christian religion is exactly what Jesus intended it to be, that is, for the most part, for most devotees, salvation via faith

edited May 2011
    :)
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    To the OP;
    I don't know.
    edited May 2011
    now many people are going to throw rocks at me.
    this link sums up what Christainty is very well

http://www.spiritual-wholeness.org/faqs/reincgen.htm
    Belief in the Resurrection is based on our Christian conviction that, in Christ, God will seal our whole personality, body and soul, in an eternal embrace of love.
    There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1 John+4&version=NIV

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2011
    First and foremost, I am sorry if this question came up on this forum a million and a half times before me. I can imagine that it did, since you know, Jesus is a pretty popular guy and all. Anywho...
    Who is Jesus to you? I've met many people who believe he was the son of God, many who believe he was a fraud, many who believed he was enlightened (either from learning buddhism or not), and a select few who believe that he never existed and is just a fictional character.

Me personally...I don't know what to believe. I guess I believe he was a real person, probably not "the son of God", how many Christians interpret that. But, I guess he definitely could've been a man of greater power that we can't necessarily fathom as human beings. Not sure, I wasn't there, lol. Let me know what you think.
    While I don't believe in a creator God, nor, as a consequence, that Jesus is the son of God/God in the flesh, I do think that he was a revolutionary spiritual teacher, and I think some of the things he's reported as saying in the New Testament are pretty cool. I especially like, "Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone" (John 8:7), the Sermon on the Mount and his many teachings on forgiveness.

Personally, I think Christianity would be much better off just sticking with the Jefferson Bible — a collection of extracts from the New Testament — and getting rid of all that Old Testament, grumpy God business, not to mention most of the writings of Paul. (Thomas Jefferson went so far as to deem him "the first corrupter of the doctrines of Jesus.")
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    Jesus Christ? He plays for Barcelona FC ..
    Messi is without a doubt one of the greatest soccer players around. He's simply amazing to watch.
  • LOL! Soccer fans in other countries are nuts.
  • As fanatic as people in the states are about our sports, we are not nearly as fanatic about our sports as Europeans and South Americans are about their "football." It's pretty amazing!
    let's please not go too far off topic.
    This is your Moderator speaking , OK?

Don't Messi with me.....
    Thank you.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Belief in the Resurrection is based on our Christian conviction that, in Christ, God will seal our whole personality, body and soul, in an eternal embrace of love.
    Could someone explain this, please?

Springtime animal sacrifice accompanied by the belief that the spirit of the animal will ascend to heaven and watch over the tribe is a practice stretching back aeons in time. Coincidence?

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    So I was going through some old stuff....... and I found this picture and I'm like that's the dude they were talking about on the Buddhist forum! This is him right.......