Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

So, literal interpretation of the Dharma, or contemporary awareness of it? Where do you stand?

edited May 2011 in Philosophy
:p

Comments

• zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited May 2011
    It differs for different sutras, I guess you could say I am a mongrel Buddhist, that is I take the parts that seem logical to me from both the Theravada and Mahayana teachings as I think that both of them teach the right path, just on some teachings they diverge, but ultimately they converge at the most important teachings such as the four noble truths and the noble eightfold path.
  • I think you need to define both sides so that this discussion makes sense. What is "a literal interpretation of the Dharma" and what is "contemporary awareness of it"? If this discussion is going to take place in "Advanced Ideas", we need to know what advanced ideas we are discussing. I think the question is much too vague for any clear discussion of it to take place.
  • A common discussion in the US about interpretation of the Constitution is whether it should be interpreted as the Founding Fathers meant it (the conservative side - not politically conservative) or if a normative interpretation should be used to make old principles cover new concepts (the radical side). The discussion is very relevant regarding such issues as homosexuality. The conservative interpretation denies that the Constitution can be used to protect gay rights simply because gay people weren't an issue at the time of the founding of the US - hence the Founding Fathers couldn't have taken into account gay rights in it. The normative interpretation takes "the spirit" of equal rights that they claim to find in the Constitution and thereby state a protection of gay rights.

When dealing with religion, the same basic questions must be asked and answered. I have not found my personal opinion yet, but I think I lean towards a radical interpretation - it's simple the most flexible and effective. One can make new laws which govern gay rights, but we can't change the Tipitaka :)
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    A common discussion in the US about interpretation of the Constitution is whether it should be interpreted as the Founding Fathers meant it (the conservative side - not politically conservative) or if a normative interpretation should be used to make old principles cover new concepts (the radical side). The discussion is very relevant regarding such issues as homosexuality. The conservative interpretation denies that the Constitution can be used to protect gay rights simply because gay people weren't an issue at the time of the founding of the US - hence the Founding Fathers couldn't have taken into account gay rights in it. The normative interpretation takes "the spirit" of equal rights that they claim to find in the Constitution and thereby state a protection of gay rights.

When dealing with religion, the same basic questions must be asked and answered. I have not found my personal opinion yet, but I think I lean towards a radical interpretation - it's simple the most flexible and effective. One can make new laws which govern gay rights, but we can't change the Tipitaka :)
    I don't agree with your labeling of one approach "radical". Even in the early days of the U.S. there were differing views of how the Constitution should be interpreted. Jefferson, for example, was more of a strict constitutionalist, yet he violated his own reading of it by authorizing the Lewis & Clark exposition and the Louisiana Purchase. On the more liberal side of interpreting the Constitution were people like Alexander Hamilton, also a founding father.

Similarly, I don't feel a document written 2,500 years ago is totally static. The world has changed, and we should interpret the document as appropriate in today's world. For example, I don't find this passage particularly relevant today...but perhaps we can still find some wisdom in it if we interpret it based on the life of people today:

"Wrong livelihood for contemplatives

... reading marks on the limbs [e.g., palmistry]; reading omens and signs; interpreting celestial events [falling stars, comets]; interpreting dreams; reading marks on the body [e.g., phrenology]; reading marks on cloth gnawed by mice; offering fire oblations, oblations from a ladle, oblations of husks, rice powder, rice grains, ghee, and oil; offering oblations from the mouth; offering blood-sacrifices; making predictions based on the fingertips; geomancy; laying demons in a cemetery; placing spells on spirits; reciting house-protection charms; snake charming, poison-lore, scorpion-lore, rat-lore, bird-lore, crow-lore; fortune-telling based on visions; giving protective charms; interpreting the calls of birds and animals ... [The list goes on and on]

— DN 2"

Apparently in Buddha's time this was a significant issue. Not so much today.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    It might be useful to know what the OP meant by the word "Dharma."
  • @vinlyn
    I meant "radical" as in "thinking new". I apologize if the meaning is negative in your language. That there has always been discussions on how to interpret such texts is evident - the interesting part is how we interpret old texts written by people who are now long dead, in relation to issues which are of a modern origin. Do we (as you seem to think best of, and I tend to agree) try to make them fit our world, or do we try to find the original meaning regardless of the way society looks now.

There are benefits and drawbacks of both approaches; a more text loyal and historical interpretation makes sure that what is directly written is also what you can count on - but it tends to be rigid. A "liberal" interpretation makes for flexibility but sacrifices some of the transparency - if we interpret "into our time" we also intellectualize. To understand the text "correctly" you have to be initiated.

In regard to the passage you quote the first approach means, that the text is understood as written. We are to refrain from those exact things - nothing more, nothing less.
    With the approach I called "radical" (which may be inappropriate) we can make analogies - if "laying demons in a cemetery" and "reciting house-protection charms" is to be avoided, then it's fair to say that the modern "clairvoyants" and "mediums" who make a living out of exorcism, charming and talking to ghosts are to be avoided.

I know example is weak because those things existed at Buddha's time as well but I hope you follow me :)
  • Ok, you are right... My thread feels more poetic rather than an idea for discussion. Let's take for example the Four Noble Truths, which have bothered me for days now. Is your interprentation of the Noble Truths literal, or do you think of them as something that can be intepreted in a more liberal way, concerning our modern day of living. And my first poetic thread still goes for those of you who want to elaborate on them more...
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    the mind hasn't really changed as much. thus the buddhas teaching is still relevant to everyone.
    we may "think" we are different from those of the past, but in reality we are quite alike. we suffer from i, my, me mind. we create delusions and chase power. the surface might be a little different, but the essence is the same.

now that being said, we must always understand that the words are pointing to truth and the words themselves are not truth. in zen we assert that once you start talking about the dharma you've already lost the dharma. the dharma of the buddha cannot be spoken of. the best way most teachers approach this problem is by negation. just negate what the dharma is not and possibly you'll be left with what the dharma is.

the mind will interpret and skew what truth there is.
    the heart knows what is truth and what isn't.

thus the best way to approach any writing or doctrine is from the heart. is what i am reading correct and useful? the mind will say all sorts of things. well if this say this that implies this and such. you get the idea. test your heart. see what the heart says.

I know example is weak because those things existed at Buddha's time as well but I hope you follow me :)
    Yes, I follow you, and now that we have interpreted your choice of "radical", I think we are pretty much in agreement.

In terms of the US Constitution, two points. First, for most of those who favor a "strict" interpretation, I don't even think they like that because it's the right approach, but rather they like it because they view that it fits the laws they personally favor. I was no fan of Barry Goldwater in terms of his policies, but I remember seeing him interviewed once (it may have been on 60 Minutes) and they asked him about the concept of gay marriage. He said he didn't believe government should be involved in marriage (straight or gay) at all. That it wasn't a government function based on the Constitution. My other point about those who believe in a strict interpretation of the Constitution based on the founding father...which founding fathers? They didn't all agree on the philosophy of the Constitution. Do we really think that if old Tom was alive today that he would write the same Constitution he did at the time of the nation's founding. I doubt it.

And, from a philosophical perspective, I think the US Constitution can be an analogy for the Dhamma. I'm not living 2,500 years ago. I haven't used any rafts lately...or in fact during my entire life. Were the Dhamma actually written today, it's basic principles would remain, but I think the parables provided and the words used would be much different. For those who believe in a strict interpretation of the Dhamma, I think they see it as a book of Commandments, rather than as a guide to life. That's fine. They're entitled to interpret it as they wish.

Ok, you are right... My thread feels more poetic rather than an idea for discussion. Let's take for example the Four Noble Truths, which have bothered me for days now. Is your interprentation of the Noble Truths literal, or do you think of them as something that can be intepreted in a more liberal way, concerning our modern day of living. And my first poetic thread still goes for those of you who want to elaborate on them more...
    I see the issue as being exponential, depending on how far you go.

For example, I find the Four Noble Truths as the foundation of Buddhist thought (but not all human thought), and pretty unshakable.

The next step is the Noble Eightfold Path. They require a higher level of interpretation, and, as we have discussed in other threads (for example, about the killing of Bin Laden) many of us see the need to use the Eightfold Path as a guide, rather than a series of commandments.

The next step are the Precepts. For example, what is the true significance of:
    6. Refrain from taking food at inappropriate time.
    7. Refrain from dancing, singing playing music and watching entertainment programs.
    8. Refrain from using perfume, cosmetics, wearing of garland
    9. Refrain from using high chairs and sleeping on luxurious bed.

Why during ordination does a prospective monk have to be asked if he suffers from leprosy in today's world? If he has boils? Eczema? If they are a human being? If he is a free man? If he is a Naga (snake). Why can't a monk eat at 3 p.m.?

The world has changed, and to be frank, most institutions that don't change do not have a bright future.
  • Lazy_eyeLazy_eye Veteran
    For me, the following quote pretty much says it all:
    In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes.

One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.

The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
    (from Chu-Hung, a 16th-century master in the Chinese Pure Land tradition)
  • @vinlyn

I too think we pretty much agree :) The person I had in mind when talking about the two approaches as representing the "conservative" side was Antonin Scalia - Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States, called "The Arnold Schwartzenegger of American jurisprudence". I recently had a lecture where the discussion was mentioned and the theories presented fit so nicely into this thread :)
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    For me, the following quote pretty much says it all:
    In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes.

One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.

The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.
    (from Chu-Hung, a 16th-century master in the Chinese Pure Land tradition)
    I'll vote for that too.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I agree with a flexible interpretation. However I think its necessary before we go running around changing the forms of the teachings to have realized them and taken them into our hearts first. That way, if we are acting on and interpreting the teachings for a modern context the proper interpretations will naturally flow from us. If we haven't taken the teachings to heart and try to modify them to fit our preconceptions we'll end up harming ourselves and the Dharma.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    For example, I don't find this passage particularly relevant today...but perhaps we can still find some wisdom in it if we interpret it based on the life of people today:

"Wrong livelihood for contemplatives

... reading marks on the limbs [e.g., palmistry]; reading omens and signs; interpreting celestial events [falling stars, comets]; interpreting dreams; reading marks on the body [e.g., phrenology]; reading marks on cloth gnawed by mice; offering fire oblations, oblations from a ladle, oblations of husks, rice powder, rice grains, ghee, and oil; offering oblations from the mouth; offering blood-sacrifices; making predictions based on the fingertips; geomancy; laying demons in a cemetery; placing spells on spirits; reciting house-protection charms; snake charming, poison-lore, scorpion-lore, rat-lore, bird-lore, crow-lore; fortune-telling based on visions; giving protective charms; interpreting the calls of birds and animals ... [The list goes on and on]

— DN 2"

Apparently in Buddha's time this was a significant issue. Not so much today.
    If you search Amazon or your local New Age bookstore you'll find serious tomes on many of the above subjects (astrology, interpreting dreams, geomancy, demonology, charms, etc etc etc). Which just goes to show, after 2500 years people are still believing all kinds of rubbish!

The dharma lives on ..
  • "Monks, these two slander the Tathagata. Which two? He who explains a discourse whose meaning needs to be inferred as one whose meaning has already been fully drawn out. And he who explains a discourse whose meaning has already been fully drawn out as one whose meaning needs to be inferred. These are two who slander the Tathagata."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an02/an02.025.than.html
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    DD, but which is which hehe. That itself must be inferred.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    "Buddha, meet Derrida. Derrida, Buddha. Play nice now."

:)
  • The Dharma is new every day. :om:
  • If we haven't taken the teachings to heart and try to modify them to fit our preconceptions we'll end up harming ourselves and the Dharma.

Good point. People have been re-inventing the Dharma for over 2 thousand years as it adapts culturally. Best IMO to keep an open mind and view our own opinions and biases with some caution.

Spiny
  • What is "a literal interpretation of the Dharma" and what is "contemporary awareness of it"?
    It seems to revolve around whether "rebirth" is to be taken literally or metaphorically, and therefore around interpretation of the suttas. Personally I don't think these issues can be resolved in any definitive way and therefore it's best to keep an open mind.

Spiny
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Grain of salt. Whatever the Buddha taught, he had an audience with a certain world-view that would not readily give up all of their preconceptions. Rather than tell them their notions were invalid, he let them remain a conventional reality, for conventional reality is true also in its own way. The Buddha exhorted us to apply the teachings to our own lives, to our own reason and judgment, and to let direct experience be the final arbiter rather than beliefs or the words of others.

Sooo, I take the teachings as a finger pointing to a finger pointing to the moon. The teachings point to what the Buddha taught, and what the Buddha taught points to "this". I follow what is reasonable from each tradition, but acknowledge the Pali Canon as the best source (the closest) to what the Buddha actually did teach. That's not to mean Theravada, as they have their own viewpoint/perspective/tradition, but the sutras of the Pali Canon itself (though these may not have been perfectly preserved, as time changes all things...).
  • That's not to mean Theravada, as they have their own viewpoint/perspective/tradition, but the sutras of the Pali Canon itself (though these may not have been perfectly preserved, as time changes all things...).
    It seems to me there are 2 related areas of difficulty. Firstly we cannot know whether the suttas we have available are an accurate reflection of the what the Buddha actually taught. And secondly there doesn't seem to be a concensus about how exactly the Pali is to be be tranlsated and interpreted. So perhaps ultimately it comes back to our own experience of practice, gradually developing an intuitive understanding of what the suttas are pointing to.

Spiny
  • Imo, One simply needs to look at the history of Buddhism, especially recent discoveries, to see that there can be no literal Dharma, by definition.

Or one could look to the Kalama Suttra to see the same...