Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Whose Buddhism is Truest?

edited May 2011 in Arts & Writings
"No one’s—and everyone’s, it turns out.
Long-lost scrolls shed some surprising light.
by
Linda Heuman"
http://www.tricycle.com/feature/whose-buddhism-truest

Comments

• Rare in the world is the appearance of one who teaches the Dhamma & Discipline proclaimed by the Tathagata

AN VI.96
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Whatsoever you find true for you - that's the truest Buddhism.
  • Whatsoever you find true for you - that's the truest Buddhism.
    Whilst, in principle, I would agree, Fede., we do need to be careful. Many years ago, I wrote an article for a 'trade mag.' entitled "Whose Outcome Is It?" because I think an ethical underpinning and some degree of discernment are crucial. This where, IMO, Buddhism scores over many other systems - if we are careful.

A practice of study, reflection, meditation and service to others are ideal tools to hone both our ethical sense and our discernment. This, I believe, is at the heart of right and skillful choices.
  • As the OP points out, according to the article, no one's Buddhism is "truest"
    This would, I think, put to rest notions like "There was no Second Turning of the Wheel", because there very well could have been, although it's something we will never know.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Rare in the world is the appearance of one who teaches the Dhamma & Discipline proclaimed by the Tathagata

AN VI.96
    That is probably what is rare.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    Without a teacher, we often consider our delusions true. How would we know otherwise?
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Federica, I think your point is excellent.

First, this is an extremely well written article, which I enjoyed very much. BuckyG, thanks for bringing it to our attention.

This article reaffirmed my belief that the Dhamma, as we know it (and apparently despite our prejudices of belief) is unlikely to be the exact words spoken by Buddha. And that unrealistic (in my view) belief is something I have seen argued any number of times in any number of sources, including the various Buddhist internet forums. (In the article: "Texts had close parallels to one, two, and sometimes all three of the other language versions...But even more significant is what we have found: that is, difference. These scrolls are incontrovertible proof that as early as the first century B.C.E., there was another significant living Buddhist tradition in a separate region of India and in an entirely different language from the tradition preserved in Pali...'And where there are two, we are now on very solid ground in suggesting there were many more than two,' says...a professor of Sanskrit and Buddhist studies at the University of Washington...Cox suggests that “rather than asking the question what single language did the Buddha use and what represents the earliest version of his teachings, we might have to accept that from the very beginning there were various accounts of his teachings, different sutras, and different versions of sutras transmitted in different areas. At the very beginning we might have a number of different sources, all of whom represent or claim to represent the teaching of the Buddha.”

And this, if it is correct, goes back to another premise of mine. That it doesn't matter if the words are the exact words of Buddha. But rather, are the words wise? Are their teachings meaningful? We should accept wisdom where we find it. And, I am rather confident that the principles outlined in Buddhist sources at the very least conveys the general teachings of Buddha, even if the words are not the exact words he spoke.

And, while not specifically discussed in the article, it also strengthens my belief that each of us is most likely to support whichever Buddhist school we first become familiar with. There are exceptions, of course...people who intensely study each, or at least several of the schools. But for the most part, if someone is like me and experienced Thai-Theravada Buddhism, they will probably most identify with that school of thought...while hopefully being open to things from other schools.

This article also reminds me of another principle I have long argued for -- that we hold Buddhism to the same standards that we hold other religions to. Few of us believe that the Bible is the exact word of God or that the words of the New Testament are the exact words of Jesus. Let's be fair and be as realistic about our Buddhist beliefs. I guess it's a case of the intent (or in this case, the gist)of the words being most important. After all, most of us read the Dhamma and related information in English...so we don't have the exact words anyway.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    Thanks for the article, Bucky. I love archaeology and scriptural scholarship. :)
  • hermitwinhermitwin Veteran
    edited May 2011
    my buddhism is the truest.
    otherwise I would not choose or practise it.
  • "The siblings in my family don’t have a single, same, enduring, essential feature in common that connects us to each other (or to our ancestors), nor do we need one. Anyone could pick us out of a crowd as related. I have my father’s nose and my aunt’s height; my sister has my grandmother’s hair and my father’s fast walk; my brother looks like my father and me. The traditions of the Buddhist family can dress, think, and practice differently and still be recognizable family members in exactly the same way in which the members of our own family are recognizably related to us.

All the siblings in my family are authentic members of my family. Because our identity doesn’t depend on our possessing some unchanging “common thing,” we don’t have to argue over who has more of it. If we understand identity in this way, all Buddhists are 100 percent Buddhist.

Letting go of our old assumptions about history and language shouldn’t make us uneasy. The views we’re challenging as we assimilate these new archaeological discoveries were never Buddhist to begin with. We’re not abandoning the basis for our faith; we’re confirming it. And in so doing, we open up the possibility to truly appreciate different Buddhist traditions as equal members of our Buddhist family."

Having lived through the trauma of discovering that the Bible is a collection of context-dependent stories, legends and myths, many of which pre-existed our earliest documents, pre-existed the appearance of the Israelites themselves, and that Jesus' message itself may be based on earlier 'Essene' teachings, I find this refreshing. Few things are less enlightening than the old quarrels between Buddhist schools and traditions. It is good to see that modern scholarship, linked to good science, confirms what many of us have suspected: the 'differences' are cosmetic, not quintesseantial.

If we are searching for authenticity, we shall not find it in yearning for a fictitious source document but in the application of teachings to our own lives and the challenges of each day we draw breath.
    Simon, I think you've put this extremely well, from the Buddhist perspective.

I do think that as we look to CHRISTianity, we have to be as open-minded, however. As a person who has a degree of faith in both Buddhist principles and CHRISTian principles, I simply look at the teachings of Christ and ask which aspects seem wise to me. I do the same with the teachings of Buddha. I simply look for the wisdom. In terms of Christianity, I don't get bogged down in the Old Testament...although I may enjoy the theatrics of Charlton Heston on film. :D

• Simon, I think you've put this extremely well, from the Buddhist perspective.

I do think that as we look to CHRISTianity, we have to be as open-minded, however. As a person who has a degree of faith in both Buddhist principles and CHRISTian principles, I simply look at the teachings of Christ and ask which aspects seem wise to me. I do the same with the teachings of Buddha. I simply look for the wisdom. In terms of Christianity, I don't get bogged down in the Old Testament...although I may enjoy the theatrics of Charlton Heston on film. :D

As you will know, Vinlyn, many Christians claim that the 'canonical' books contain the sole authentic account of the life and words of Jesus and the accepted apostolic letters. This belief is striking similar to that taken by some Buddhist scholars to their own tradition's scriptures.

I agree that we are challenged to take a new view of Christian texts, including those which are deemed deutero-canonical. In addition, there is great value to be gained from the Tanakh in understanding the context within which pre-Christian, 'Essene' spirituality arose, out of which Jesus emerges to preach what Christians now call the Good News, the Gospel. This more open approach to the scriptures is now generally accepted by academic theologians but has yet to be generally taught from the pulpit.

That Buddhists and Christians both try to appeal to authentic historicity should not surprise us. Every human group has tended to create an historical narrative for themselves, much of which will be legendary and, often, borrowed from prior cultures or groups. Just because we no longer believe in the Arthurian legend as the 'matter of Britain' as historically accurate, there are treasures to be found in the cycle of stories. Similarly with legendary stories such as the Exodus, with its lessons on the 'desert experience' and exile. The legends of the Buddha's previous lives, childhood, etc. have the same teaching function: it is a modern bias that we demand that such stories be 'factual', whatever that may mean.

Very interesting post, Simnonthepilgrim.
  • i dont believe anyones Buddhism is truest.
    it is not based on what is true i have come to realize it is all base on your mind perceiving anything to be good is what is truest. what really matter what all those thing are trying to tell you is that you are the only one who can choose to see the truth past the words and ideas to see past that and see that your actions now are what really matter.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    real buddhism is moment to moment experience.

whats true for yesterday is true for today. the insight you had yesterday is true today.
    the peace and stillness you found yesterday is here right now as well.

the different traditions are like different articles of clothing you wear. true buddhism is running around naked. get the metaphor?
  • real buddhism is understanding/penetrating the characteristics of things

real buddhism is defined as: "all things arise from a cause and the enlightened one declares the cause"

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    real buddhism is understanding/penetrating the characteristics of things

real buddhism is defined as: "all things arise from a cause and the enlightened one declares the cause"

so bro is that something you can read? or is it something you have to experience?

can i read and become a buddha?

the cause is attachment bro right? if i don't attach am i buddha?
    or if the cause is ignorance. can i just read up on what the buddha said. ill be buddha then right bro?
  • There really is no argument here. You are both just describing the same color. Doesn't really matter what name you prefer to call it. It is whatever as it appears to someone who experience it.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    There really is no argument here. You are both just describing the same color. Doesn't really matter what name you prefer to call it. It is whatever as it appears to someone who experience it.
    i totally agree with you.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2011
    so bro is that something you can read? or is it something you have to experience?
    of course it is experienced

for example, why do you recommend to "run around naked"? because it is the cause of what you regard as liberation

i am not saying Buddhism does not recommend abiding with/in "present" experience

i am just saying this is a "cause" for something

often the mind is too absorbed in the taste of the fruit that the mind does not see the fruit

we are both saying the say thing, but my definition is broader

like the cause of a good family relationship. Buddhism also describes this

sure, "me" & "you" brother are no so attached to family but all things have their causes

if a mind cannot see the "cause" of its liberation that how can it be "seeing"?

regards

:)

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    originally everything is empty. so wear your clothes all you want or you can be naked. up to you. when you understand emptiness that is true freedom. but again like we both agree this is an existential experience, which the "scriptures" back up.

i am glad we finally agree with something even if there is slight disagreement on your part.

i agree with everything you say bro.

much love.

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2011
    the reason i reply to your posts is i also agree with everything you say bro

just using different languages

much love, also

:)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Alright you two, chill. This thread isn't going to turn into that other one where the last 50 posts are you two bickering.

It seems you've reached an accord, but if you haven't then PM each other for any further responses. :)
  • :lol:
  • real buddhism is understanding/penetrating the characteristics of things

can i read and become a buddha?

the cause is attachment bro right? if i don't attach am i buddha?
    or if the cause is ignorance. can i just read up on what the buddha said. ill be buddha then right bro?
    I don't really find proof of a single cause to phenomena, as that would be proof of an enduring self existence, or independent origination, as in the traditions of mono-theism.

This finding might be proof that the Buddha taught the same insight through different means arising dependent upon his audience. He might in fact have learned different languages along the way as well, just as a modern scholar does, as there are similarities between the different languages of ancient India of the Buddhas' time.

He just might have taught the Mahayana to different students just as the Sutras claim and only Hinayana to other students simply dependent upon individual capacity and their individual needs at the time?
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    bingo! i share your view as well!
  • VajraheartVajraheart Veteran
    edited May 2011

That Buddhists and Christians both try to appeal to authentic historicity should not surprise us. Every human group has tended to create an historical narrative for themselves, much of which will be legendary and, often, borrowed from prior cultures or groups. Just because we no longer believe in the Arthurian legend as the 'matter of Britain' as historically accurate, there are treasures to be found in the cycle of stories. Similarly with legendary stories such as the Exodus, with its lessons on the 'desert experience' and exile. The legends of the Buddha's previous lives, childhood, etc. have the same teaching function: it is a modern bias that we demand that such stories be 'factual', whatever that may mean.

I think just as the Nag Hammadi and Dead Sea Scroll shed light on the possibility that Jesus if he existed at all as an individual, did teach different things to different apostles in private.

Just as is claimed by Mahayana Sutras for Mahakasyapa?

The key I think to all Buddhist traditions is indeed dependent origination instead of the monist or mono-theistic ideal of independent origination? One leads to an ultimate, self existing source of all things and the other does not. It does seem that all Buddhist traditions that have ancient Indian roots including, Theravada, Mahayana, Vajrayana and Dzogchen are about the latter rather than the former? That there is no inherent essence, just endless regress, or endless progress in cycle after cycle.
  • bingo! i share your view as well!
    Hi taiyaki!

I had previously missed this little nudge in between my two posts. LOL! ;)
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Only the Truth exists.
  • VajraheartVajraheart Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Only the Truth exists.
    Well, according to Buddhism, there is no absolute self existence, so, all truth is relative. Which consequently makes everything a truth, so I guess you're right in a sense.
  • But, there is one truth that liberates, that is constant awareness of the experiential meaning of dependent origination. One could say that the key is in awareness itself.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Well, according to Buddhism, there is no absolute self existence, so, all truth is relative. Which consequently makes everything a truth, so I guess you're right in a sense.
    Damn right. ;-D

(Sorry... up late. Drank an energy drink. Listening to techno music. Hehe.)
  • santhisouksanthisouk Veteran
    edited May 2011
    There is only one truth so there can't be a truest.
    edited May 2011
    There is only one truth so there can't be a truest.
    I think you need to explain that further. To be honest, it seems like a cliche every member of every religion could say (in fact I have heard many Christians say exactly that). So, what exactly do you mean?

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited May 2011
    if you assert something is true then something has to be false.
    thus this truth is a conditional truth. duality.

truth has to be beyond being truth and false. so in a way truth isn't even the word "truth".
    so truth has to be unconditional meaning it has to be always true.

thus if truth is unconditional there are no hierarchies to truth because this truth is neither true or false.

so truth has to move in paradoxes or silence. meaning it has to be an all encompassing view, thus essentially a no view.
    thus it can be the silence or it can be the noise. it can be a relative truth as well. a paradox is only a paradox if we only see one part of that truth. if we believe truth is all views then the paradox no longer exists.

meh thinking too much. but i know there are thinkers on here so have fun with my ramblings.
  • what he said ^^^ :D
  • Truth is our self. When we find out who we are, we will find the truth. Our true image, feelings, consciousness, mentality, and memory are all untruth. So is there truth within untruth? There is truth within untruth if you realize that it is all untruth. When we realize we are untruth then there can only be one truth because there is only one of us. I am one truth as you are one truth. If both of us is many untruths, than that would mean we are eachother, and that can't be right. So I believe it is sound to say that there is only one truth.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    Who can understand any of that? ;)
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    sometimes it better to just have a cup of tea and enjoy the day.

amen people amen.
  • agreed. Sadhu. Sadhu.
  • A monk whose mind is thus released does not take sides with anyone, does not dispute with anyone. He words things by means of what is said in the world but without grasping at it.

Dighanaka Sutta
  • Well, according to Buddhism, there is no absolute self existence, so, all truth is relative. Which consequently makes everything a truth, so I guess you're right in a sense.
    Damn right. ;-D

LOL! Awesome... me too, up late, having a beer, watching, "The Voice."
  • i dont believe anyones Buddhism is truest
    oh stop! i'm still laughing over you bodhidarma comment!

• real buddhism is moment to moment experience.
    true buddhism is running around naked. get the metaphor?
    your such a Diogenes!

• can i read and become a buddha?
    there is what i've heard called the "analysis path" or something of the sort (bro)

• if you assert something is true then something has to be false.
    thus this truth is a conditional truth. duality.

truth has to be beyond being truth and false. so in a way truth isn't even the word "truth".
    so truth has to be unconditional meaning it has to be always true.

thus if truth is unconditional there are no hierarchies to truth because this truth is neither true or false.

so truth has to move in paradoxes or silence. meaning it has to be an all encompassing view, thus essentially a no view.
    thus it can be the silence or it can be the noise. it can be a relative truth as well. a paradox is only a paradox if we only see one part of that truth. if we believe truth is all views then the paradox no longer exists.

meh thinking too much. but i know there are thinkers on here so have fun with my ramblings.
    kind reminds of a poem from The Book of Lies...not any particular one, just the style
  • ...many Christians claim that the 'canonical' books contain the sole authentic account of the life and words of Jesus and the accepted apostolic letters. This belief is striking similar to that taken by some Buddhist scholars to their own tradition's scriptures.
    yes, it is positivist...it shortcomings and defectts are similar to (1) the challenges that left out manuscripts of "the Bible" bring to those who claim the current Christian canon is authoritative as it stands, and (2) the critical theorists (and the like) charges against positivism within philosophy of science

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    True Buddhism is a practise when you devote your self to understanding your own sects specific teachings to the maximum you will be fulfilling the Buddhas wishes, and when you implement these teachings not just as example by mouth but in bodily action and mind will you be practising true Buddhism. :)
  • TalismanTalisman Veteran
    I agree with caz. Take your time discovering a tradition that resonates with your personality and inclinations. Devote yourself to the teachings of that tradition wholeheartedly and you will be fulfilling the path. Not that I have reached the point of accepting any one tradition yet. I'm still very new.
    edited May 2011
    Damn right. ;-D

LOL! Awesome... me too, up late, having a beer, watching, "The Voice."
    So in your Dzogchen Buddhism you don't follow the precepts?