Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Can one practice ZEN buddhism at home? (Alone) If so, whats best way?

N2BN2B
edited May 2011 in Sanghas
Should I start reading Zen books, and practice Zazen?

Can you recommend any good practical books pls?

Comments

• Of course anyone can practice Zen at home. You can practice anything you want.

A better question would be: How would I know I am practising Zazen correctly.
    But even then, the answer would be - Do you feel its benifiting you?
    If so, then sure, carry on practising at home (alone)..

There are many guided videos on youtube for Zen Meditation.

As for books:
    Zen mind beginners mind. (Good book - Good start)

Best wishes on your path.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Hsin-hsin Ming:
    Verses on the Faith-Mind

By Seng-ts'an, Third Chinese Patriarch

http://www.mendosa.com/way.html
  • I practice my Zen at home and I don't think there is a best way.
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    @N2B,

Don't know if its any help but there's a freely downloadable primer book on Zen techniques at Throssel Hole Zen Monastery's website.

Here's a link:

http://www.throssel.org.uk/sitting-buddha-book
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    Both Tibetan Buddhism and Zen Buddhism stress the importance of a teacher. If you do not have access to a teacher (even if it's not all the time), go for Theravada Buddhism instead.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Here is a pretty straightforward set of instructions (with pix) of how to practice zazen: http://mro.org/zmm/teachings/meditation.php
  • Both Tibetan Buddhism and Zen Buddhism stress the importance of a teacher. If you do not have access to a teacher (even if it's not all the time), go for Theravada Buddhism instead.
    What a load of crap.
    If you havent got a teacher, go for theravada instead.

you dont know anything.
  • TalismanTalisman Veteran
    lol <---literally
  • You can't do dat stuff at home alone homeboy! You'll end up makin mistakes and you don't even know it know wat im sayin?! Despite wat da 6th Patriarch Huieng have said about not resorting to "sitting with quite mind" it's very easy ta get lazy and end up doing just dat know wat im sayin?!

Good idea do stuff with a group and professional instructor know wat im sayin?

You don't wanna end up moe stupid from wrong meditation style!
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Anyone who is afraid of making a mistake would be well advised to skip Buddhism. Better to try than to be overwhelmed by imagining you could get it "right." Buddhism consists largely of making mistakes and correcting them.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    if you teach yourself something you will always remember it.

it really depends on what kind of learner/person you are.
    that will determine if you need a teacher or not.
    you know your bullshit more than anyone else. it is up to you to determine what you need.

have fun!
  • Dipa Ma, an Indian Buddhist was a great advocate of practice just where you are. She was a poor, uneducated wife and mother with no access to books, the internet or a sangha and yet she achieved great things in her practice. She really shows how simple Buddhism can be (is?) and became a still revered teacher.
  • In my opinion Western Buddhism can often become another version of consumerism - acquiring books, dvds, teachers, cushions, stools, mats, statues, timers, ideas, contacts, websites, retreats and trips to centres. I think Trungpa Rinpoche also wrote a book on this theme 'Cutting through Spiritual Materialism'.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    Should I start reading Zen books, and practice Zazen?

Can you recommend any good practical books pls?
    To practice Zen at home:

1. Learn the correct physical posture for meditation so you don't hurt yourself or quit from frustration. Plenty of instruction on the internet, although it's better to find an actual meditation class if possible. It's not complicated. Quiet mind meditation, with or without chanting, means you're basically sitting quietly, doing nothing.

2. Now meditate. Set aside a few moments and develop a schedule where that's what you're supposed to do. Even ten minutes. Understand that this is like exercising, only you're working on your mind. Everyone makes great plans and then finds excuses not to. Meditation is not fun. It's boring. So do it anyway.

3. Read the words of the great Masters on the internet and in books. Which Masters? Whatever ones you stumble across from the various schools that strike you as making sense.

4. Then as you go about your day, apply those teachings to your everyday life.
    SkyLotus
  • To practice Zen at home:

1. Learn the correct physical posture for meditation so you don't hurt yourself or quit from frustration. Plenty of instruction on the internet, although it's better to find an actual meditation class if possible. It's not complicated. Quiet mind meditation, with or without chanting, means you're basically sitting quietly, doing nothing.

2. Now meditate. Set aside a few moments and develop a schedule where that's what you're supposed to do. Even ten minutes. Understand that this is like exercising, only you're working on your mind. Everyone makes great plans and then finds excuses not to. Meditation is not fun. It's boring. So do it anyway.

3. Read the words of the great Masters on the internet and in books. Which Masters? Whatever ones you stumble across from the various schools that strike you as making sense.

4. Then as you go about your day, apply those teachings to your everyday life.

THANKS, MAKES SENSE. GREAT ANSWER''

• " be islands unto yourselves, refuges unto yourselves, seeking no external refuge;
    with the Dhamma as your island, the Dhamma as your refuge, seeking no other refuge."- Buddha

• Anyone who is afraid of making a mistake would be well advised to skip Buddhism. Better to try than to be overwhelmed by imagining you could get it "right." Buddhism consists largely of making mistakes and correcting them.
    How do you know when to correct wat when your doing it yourself homeboy? Some mofoz get so comfortable thinking about nothing and still thinking they aren't attached to laziness. Know wat im saying?
  • If you are practising Zen alone, it is recommended to go through The Shurangama Sutra for several times. And display a Shurangama mantra. :vimp:
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    The hardest parts of practicing at home on your own, imo, are maintaining discipline and avoiding distraction. Battling our delusions is tough work, do you have the will to return to the cusion when your mind is going bonkers? How attached are you to all the little distractions that are available at the click of a button?
  • I tend to agree @NOTaGangsta. We all need a bit of help sometimes. For me, I feel lucky to have met my Master who has dedicated life to the practice, and many friends and guides along the way. Thanks also for your posts.
  • Amitufo Floating_Abu! Teachers stops people from falling into the trap of treating buddhism like a philosphy to boost their ego and debating skills.
  • Forums are rife for that probably but then there is always the next step I guess... Amitufo.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Dipa Ma, an Indian Buddhist was a great advocate of practice just where you are. She was a poor, uneducated wife and mother with no access to books, the internet or a sangha and yet she achieved great things in her practice. She really shows how simple Buddhism can be (is?) and became a still revered teacher.
    I totally agree with doing it yourself and then getting a teacher.
    Or a group or not.
    A retreat also helps.
    So if not a Sangha, perhaps retreats here and there.