Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does our practice benefit others as well ?

edited June 2011 in Philosophy
Many are aware of the benefits that we ourselves can experience from the practice, but how do we benefit others with our practice ? What are some ways to share the dhamma ?

The Lay Follower

On one occasion the Blessed One was dwelling at Kapilavatthu, in the Banyan-tree Monastery. There Mahānāma the Sakyan approached the Blessed One and, after paying homage to him, sat down at one side. So seated, he addressed the Blessed One and asked:

“How, Lord, is one a lay follower?”
“If, Mahānāma, one has gone for refuge to the Buddha, the Dhamma, and the Sangha, one is a lay follower.”

“But how, Lord, is a lay follower virtuous?”
“If, Mahānāma, a lay follower abstains from the destruction of life, from taking what is not given, from sexual misconduct, from false speech and from wines, liquor and intoxicants which are a basis for negligence, the lay follower is virtuous.”

“And how, Lord, does a lay follower live for his own welfare but not for the welfare of others?”

“If, Mahānāma, a lay follower has faith, virtue and generosity himself, but does not encourage others in gaining faith, virtue and generosity; if he himself likes to visit monks and to listen to the good Dhamma, but does not encourage others to do so; if he himself retains in mind the teachings heard and carefully examines the meaning of those teachings, but does not encourage others to do so; if, having understood both the letter and the meaning, he himself lives in conformity with the Dhamma, but does not encourage others to do so—in such a case, Mahānāma, a lay follower lives for his own welfare but not for the welfare of others.”

“And how, Lord, does a lay follower live for the welfare of both himself and others?”

“If, Mahānāma, a lay follower himself has faith, virtue and generosity, and also encourages others in gaining them; if he himself likes to visit monks and to listen to the good Dhamma, and he also encourages others to do so; if he himself retains in mind the teachings heard and carefully examines their meaning, and he also encourages others to do so; if, having understood both the letter and the meaning, he himself practises in accordance with the Dhamma and also encourages others to do so—in such a case, Mahānāma, a lay follower lives for the welfare of both himself and others.”- Anguttara Nikaya (8:25)

With metta,

Comments

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    By cultivating morality, compassion and wisdom in one self how could this NOT benefit those around you?
    All the best,
    Todd
  • I recently watched a documentary about yogis of Tibet where they showed people who've been practicing in seclusion most of their life. My question is how does their practice benefit others?
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    By cultivating morality, compassion and wisdom in one self how could this NOT benefit those around you?
    All the best,
    Todd
    I couldn't have stated it better.

• edited June 2011
    @dharma: You posed a question and then answered it very definitively yourself. I'm not sure I understand.
  • I recently watched a documentary about yogis of Tibet where they showed people who've been practicing in seclusion most of their life. My question is how does their practice benefit others?
    The theory is, I think, that they advance their wisdom and insight, and thus their potential to practice skillful means to help others is increased. The closer one gets to Enlightenment, of more use one will be to humanity. But I don't know to what extent those guys are thinking along those lines. Did anyone interview them?

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited June 2011
    I recently watched a documentary about yogis of Tibet where they showed people who've been practicing in seclusion most of their life. My question is how does their practice benefit others?
    I guess it depends on whether one believes in rebirth or not if this practice is of benefit to others.

To the OP, I think by transforming ourselves and living a more honest, ethical life we can set an example for others to do so themselves. Also by developing our wisdom if someone needs some direct help or advice we're better able to provide them with some.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Does our practice benefit others? Of course it does! It makes us more compassionate. Let's keep monks out of this, and keep the discussion on laypeople, since that's what the OP Question is about. Monks are a world apart. Our practice makes us more aware of our foibles so we can correct them, and interact more positively and helpfully with people. Kind of a no-brainer. I think you answered your own question in posting those sutric passages.
  • Even the people who chose to practice in seclusion benefited others by not being greedy or spreading lies rumors or hatred in any way as any average human may or may not.

One positive action could mean a lot more to a recipient than it did to you.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    haha! Maybe the answer to misconduct by monks and lamas then, is to keep them in seclusion for life! ^_^ lol!
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I recently watched a documentary about yogis of Tibet where they showed people who've been practicing in seclusion most of their life. My question is how does their practice benefit others?
    Andy -- The only real way to know the answer to that (as distinct from making marvelous statements) is to practice your own practice with determination.