Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What highest truth have you realized while meditating?

edited June 2011 in Philosophy

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    level 5
  • interesting. Sarcasm, just joking, is a good form of being I think.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Yeah, sorry about the sarcasm. Talking about ones spiritual accomplishments is generally frowned upon in Buddhism, though I don't know that its specifically prohibited.
  • That I have a long way to go.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    All "that stuff" is a load of crap!
  • Let death be your greatest teacher.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Forget about the "highest truth" and the highest truth has an easier time expressing itself.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    zazen is the means and goal. there is no high truth to attain other than what is.
  • The law of karma.
  • Realisation's generally aren't discussed because you'll possibly conceptualize them rather than realise for yourself.
    I personally don't agree with that. I've found it's more helpful to tell people what to look for.
    Here're some pointers.
    There's no self controlling body.
    There's no self controlling thoughts.
    All is mind.
    There's no mind separate from experience.
    There is no you or no-thing other than experience.
    Look for those. Don't think. Stop all thought. Just watch.
  • All "that stuff" is a load of crap!
    Yes, and it keeps coming back. ;-)

Spiny
  • I really don't know...I wish someone can tell me where I am...I am confused.
    That tells me I have a long long way to go!
  • There's nowhere to go. Nothing to attain and nothing to loose. Just stop thinking and look at what is here and now.
  • People who realize higher truths probably don't discuss them on internet bulletin boards.
  • "I don't know."

That is the start of wisdom.

There is no higher or lower truth. Truth is truth.

There are all sorts of degrees of illusion, though.
  • Exactly. Truth is truth. No self isn't about getting rid of self. It's the realisation that there never has been a self.
    Non duality isn't about becoming non dual. It's the realisation that there never was duality.
    Also, the comment about realised people not posting doesn't really make sense does it. Do you think that buddha, bodhidharma, dogen, whoever wouldn't have used the internet if they had access?
  • I don't understand this whole non self view, what if you go out, change peoles lives, make people happy, save person on the street from being hit by a bus.. no self? It doesn't make sense. In a certain sense there is no self, but there just is.. a self.
  • I don't understand this whole non self view, what if you go out, change peoles lives, make people happy, save person on the street from being hit by a bus.. no self? It doesn't make sense. In a certain sense there is no self, but there just is.. a self.
    "There just is." I like that. The greatest Teachers could not have put it better. There just is...what? There just is. We might say, "Just like this."

We aren't saying people don't exist, or your actions don't make a difference. Of couse you are sitting, reading this, and what you do makes a difference. It's the nature of this "you" that we're talking about. Thinking nothing is real is missing the mark widely. That causes a lot of confusion to arise, but it really can't be helped.

By No-self we mean there is no eternal, abiding, unchanging self, that's all. But when you look in a mirror, that is what you imagine your self to be.

• There is no you controlling your body. There is no you controlling thoughts. So if you're not your body or thoughts, what are you? There are just body and thoughts. You do not affect anything as there is no you to choose anything. It's like a wave in the sea thinking it's separate from the sea. There is no you living life. Only life living itself.
    It's easy enough to see if you just look without conceptualization. Is there a you experiencing, separate from experience, or is there just experience?
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited June 2011
    All "that stuff" is a load of crap!
    Yes, and it keeps coming back. ;-)

Spiny
    Ya! Just have to keep erasing it, over and over and over, and again and again and again ! :)

• it sounds silly when written... but here it is:
    "there's a giant self-less energy sphere that is soothing; which is acccessible on some forms of samadhi"
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    Just have to keep erasing it, over and over and over, and again and again and again ! :)

:)
    until there is nothing to erase? :)
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    There is no you controlling your body. There is no you controlling thoughts. So if you're not your body or thoughts, what are you? There are just body and thoughts. You do not affect anything as there is no you to choose anything. It's like a wave in the sea thinking it's separate from the sea. There is no you living life. Only life living itself.
    It's easy enough to see if you just look without conceptualization. Is there a you experiencing, separate from experience, or is there just experience?
    I really like this explanation!
  • edited June 2011
    I meditate on "the Word". In the beginning was the Word and the Word... etc.

It's a sound. It's so beautiful. It serves like the breath to keep you engaged but the sound turns to celestial music the deeper you listen. You also get visuals... beautiful geometric mandalas and vistas of paradise. But they are based on the emptiness of the whole experience.

I think Sant Mat (another eastern religion) is heavily influenced by the Sound. They call it the Holy Shabd. It takes awhile to really get to hear it. It took me like 6 months to fine tune my inner psychic ears... but it's absolutely breath taking. Like ambrosia that soothes the soul. Google "Audible Life Stream" for more info.
  • No high truths.
  • I wanted to write a long winded explanation but i've found a better way. Please read this thread from post 15 onwards. http://www.ruthlesstruth.com/arena/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1029&start=10
  • "It matters, and it does not matter." <-- Before I started reading Buddhism, which, in my opinion isn't a far stretch from "Form is emptiness, emptiness is form." Although, I'm still learning so I could be wrong.
  • I meditate on "the Word". In the beginning was the Word and the Word... etc.

It's a sound. It's so beautiful. It serves like the breath to keep you engaged but the sound turns to celestial music the deeper you listen. You also get visuals... beautiful geometric mandalas and vistas of paradise. But they are based on the emptiness of the whole experience.

I think Sant Mat (another eastern religion) is heavily influenced by the Sound. They call it the Holy Shabd. It takes awhile to really get to hear it. It took me like 6 months to fine tune my inner psychic ears... but it's absolutely breath taking. Like ambrosia that soothes the soul. Google "Audible Life Stream" for more info.
    if that's the sound of silence, it can be soothing at times.
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited June 2011
    I found this, which I wrote some time ago (most are conclusions after meditations):

not everything can be reduced to the measurable.

the power of the spirit to transform the measurable is usually underestimated.

there is no limit if you move higher in spirituality.

even if someone hears something wise, it may not be completely understood at once.

the spiritual link between two humans is potentially much stronger than usually thought.

rebirth applies in a different way to boddhisattvas.

there are reflections of other planes of existance in this one.

the power of meditation is usually underestimated.

to change reality it takes many lives of wise and ethical actions, which implies a lot of wisdom, compassion and patience.

through meditation it is possible to see the veil of delusion (maya) usually considered reality.

nirvana in many ways, is a prerequisite of even greater spiritual heights.

some meditators can harmonize their own internal energies, and those of others, even to the point of healing.

it is easy to hurt someone with insatiable thirst (trishna) of pleasure and pain, but it is wiser and more ethical to counter this trishna with compassion (karuna).

knowing past lives implies that someone has an experience measured in centuries, millenia or even eons.

it is healthy to forget some memories of past lives, but conserving the understading born from them.
  • The inevitable.
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    Realization and understanding is a completely different thing. I read this somewhere on the internet from a link here on this site: "I can tell you this tea is sweet. But you don't know how sweet it is unless you drink." Or something to that effect. I think realizations are the same. There is a difference between understanding/agreeing-with no-self and realizing no-self.

So, without taking a drink or sip, we don't know how sweet, and when you think about it, we don't even know what sweet is until someone tells us and then we connect it to experience.

You can understand sweetness means there is some form of sugar in whatever it is you are tasting and it is being sensed by the olfactory system and all the biological parts. But you don't really KNOW sweet until you taste it :p

Get what I'm saying? We could tell you about all these realizations and you can agree, but you aren't realizing. This is why dialogue about spiritual attainments is typically frowned upon. You have 100 different ideas about a concept and you haven't even realized it yet.

The only thing we can do is get back to the cushion, realize, and put it into practice.
  • santhisouksanthisouk Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Realizing that the breath is involuntary... If its true, is this a realization or an understanding? Just wondering.
  • If somebody tells you it's an understanding, or more accurately a belief. If you see it for yourself it's a realisation. That's why i keep telling people to stop thinking and just look. When you see things directly without adding conceptual ideas, it's all so blindingly obvious.hings directly without adding conceptual ideas, it's all so blindingly obvious.
  • edited July 2011
    direct perception.
    understanding non dually without words and concept.

a drop of water falls on the stone.

Believe it or not, I started atmokinesis after this.
  • The highest expressible truth is the union of wisdom and method.
  • (...)
    Believe it or not, I started atmokinesis after this.
    my mood changes the weather, or the weather changes my mood?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    When I was little and I wanted it to clear up on a rainy day I would look at all of the yellow things that I did see from the car and I would gather all of the energy and then I would sing a song to myself "sun sun so bright come and shine away the rain tonight".. and then hum and look for more yellow things.. It always worked but that could be because it can't stay rainy long.
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    When I was little and I wanted it to clear up on a rainy day I would look at all of the yellow things that I did see from the car and I would gather all of the energy and then I would sing a song to myself "sun sun so bright come and shine away the rain tonight".. and then hum and look for more yellow things.. It always worked but that could be because it can't stay rainy long.
    Earlier on today I was remembering a time when I had a picnic in the rain with one of my closest friends. I was thinking that the next time it rains - the kind of rain that just falls straight down, there's no wind, hardly even a breeze, and going out to a park, and meditating in the peace! I personally love the grey sky and the rain. I tend to function best in those conditions. Not the norm, I know! I haven't been meditating for long, so all I can say is that I just feel happier after meditating. Happy to have had a break from the ruminating...
  • No high truths.
    Same here.
  • isn't this "controlling the weather" more about remembering the future?
  • I realised the quietness is seductively comfortable.
  • 90% of mental activity is complete rubbish..hee hee

Spiny
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    90% of mental activity is complete rubbish..hee hee

Spiny
    remaining 10% too

if there is no mindfulness

:)