Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Question on karma

betaboybetaboy Veteran
edited June 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Namaste,

Two questions: does karma determine everything? Must everything that happens to us be explained with karma?

Second, does karma get accumulated (which is why we take birth again and again), or is karma instant? Then what explains rebirth (assuming it's instant)?

BB

Comments

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    think and karma appears. don't think and karma disappears.
    awareness of conditioned mind = respond to situations = choice between good and bad karma = see karma as empty.
    no awareness of conditioned mind = unconscious reaction = no choice on good and bad karma = karma is still empty, but since one isn't aware of this they keep creating more and more states. they get attach to states thus they are stuck in samsara. sometimes they will get out of the states by just being in the moment, thus they will have a moment of nirvana.

karma is cause and effect, but karma is empty. also when we see through the lens of our conditioned mind, we see the world how we want to see it. rather than what is. when we see reality as it is without attachment to thinking, then there is no karma or finite view of the world through attachment. when we see the world through our desires, conditioned mind, finite interpretations we have karma.

karma has no power on its own. we give it power.

just me rambling about karma. creates more karma! but karma is empty, so it's okay.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Namaste,

Two questions: does karma determine everything? Must everything that happens to us be explained with karma?

Second, does karma get accumulated (which is why we take birth again and again), or is karma instant? Then what explains rebirth (assuming it's instant)?

BB
    You'd think a simple question about a fundamental principle of Buddhism would have a simple answer, wouldn't you? In fact, you will get seemingly opposite answers depending on how you approach karma.

There is karma the universal law of cause and effect, or "actions have consequences" and it's a restatement of the scientific law, "every action has a reaction" only applied to our conscious decisions. You'd think it would be obvious, wouldn't it? Our actions effect the world around us, in both obvious and subtle ways, with both immediate and delayed consequences.

So does this mean everything that happens to us is the result of our actions? Only if you think in terms of good and bad karma. As Taiyaki clearly explained, good and bad karma is inherently empty. People look at events in their lives and the lives of other people as either good or bad, and ask why bad things happen to good people and why bad people end up rich and happy. They try to explain it as accumulated past karma, perhaps even from past lives, when it's just clinging to a selfish view of karma. Your actions, past or present, did not force the mugger to shoot you as punishment for some imaginary bad deeds you did in the past. Karma is not justice. It's just karma.

But here's the kicker. Nobody can control the consequences of their actions. Nor do the empty labels of good and bad actually mean anything, because that's just our selfish judgement. It's illusion, emptiness masquerading as reality. Again, Taiyaki explained it very well above. The "bad" things that happen to us in life sometimes turn out to be the best thing that happened to us, seen from the vantage point of the future, while the things we think are "good" might bring ruin.

So what does it all mean? Well, Buddha taught a freedom from all illusions, including karma. That's often overlooked in our fascination with applying it to reality to explain why we suffer.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I guess it depends on who you ask, there are different interpretations of karma based on whether one believes in a metaphysical reality or not.

From a metaphysical view karma is like a seed that gets planted in our stream of conciousness and ripens at a later time, either nearly instantaneously or many lives in the future. I think from this point of view most everything that happens to us is considered the ripening of some past karma. It should be said though that only a fully enlightened Buddha is supposed to be able to understand the full workings of karma. Also HHDL has said that he thinks some processes are just natural processes unrelated to karma, such as the direction a hair in someones eyebrow grows.
  • jlljll Veteran
    Namaste,

BB
    No, karma does not explain everything but a whole lot eg your looks and intelligence, etc.

No, karma is not instant.
  • Karma is the cause and results of our actions, literally our actions. Karma is the fabric that weaves our existence in samsara. People have looked at karma as what divides us and unites us in existence. Today people often look at it as more of a way of doing things, as in creating good or bad karma. If you understand the true nature of karma, you will understand mostly everything in Buddhism.

• nlightennlighten Explorer
    I think that Karma is just cause and effect. I don't think you can deny that everything has a cause and everything you do has an effect. However whether that karma(cause and effect) is good or bad, is all dependent on your mind. Everything is empty, until we relate it to our desires and viewpoints. Is rebirth bad? how about if you are a Bodhisattva and can come back and help more sentient beings, is it bad then?

Is it instant and does it accumulate?
    Umm.. if you have the wrong view of hating someone, does that hate cause you suffering? is it possible to separate hate from suffering. To me they seem instant and inseparable. Now, will that hate possibly cause you to take some negative actions? maybe not this instant, but if you feel angry that day and are not able to practice your meditation because of it and you miss out on some important realization that night?
    What if you just so happen to die the next day, you may have missed out on your last chance at enlightenment and now you have to be reborn and try again.

It may be a bit of a crazy example but I hope you understand what I was trying to explain.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Over the years I have seen people have two different views of karma.

One view is that it is not controlled by the individual. That it is some cosmic reward and punishment system. After living in Thailand for a while, it is my impression that is how many Thais see it (for example). They are continually attempting to "earn" (and they sometimes use that very word) merit. And, Thais believe (again, for example) that a handicapped person or a rich person is born that way because of the karma accumulated in past lives. And, on one primarily Thai Buddhist forum, that's how it is usually approached (even though the people on that forum are mostly westerners who are Buddhist, but who are enchanted with Thailand.

The other view, much more predominant on this forum, is that karma is something within your own mind. For example, if you cheat someone you will suffer because of your own mental processes.

Both views are problematic for me, although I still believe in karma. Just not sure exactly how it works. And how does it work -- or doesn't it -- for people who are amoral. Hmmm...especially when most people believe karma is a universal principle.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2011
    No (e.g., SN 36.21).

The commentarial tradition of Theravada, stressing the fact that not everything we experience in life is caused by kamma, even goes so far as to list five distinct causal laws or processes (panca-niyamas) that operate in the physical and mental worlds: seasonal laws (utu-niyama), biological laws (bija-niyama), psychological laws (citta-niyama), kammic laws (kamma-niyama) and natural laws (dhamma-niyama).
    Second, does karma get accumulated (which is why we take birth again and again), or is karma instant?
    In a sense, both. In one sutta, for example, the Buddha states:
    And what is the result of kamma? The result of kamma is of three sorts, I tell you: that which arises right here & now, that which arises later, and that which arises following that. This is called the result of kamma.
    Then what explains rebirth (assuming it's instant)?
    For some of my thoughts on rebirth, see this.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran

For example, if you cheat someone you will suffer because of your own mental processes.
    This captures karma fairly well in my opinion. The karma would be much like the spiderweb that spreads out from a choice. In the cheating example, other people might feel injustice, mistrust you. A person who cheats would project "cheating" into others and feel paranoid about being cheated, because that's what "people do". Also, it is difficult to feel compassion and cheat someone, so they are robbing themselves of compassion. These forces are considerable, and have real consequence. Its not a mystical repercussion, its tangible and surrounds our decisions.

Trying to decide if the lottery ticket you won/lost is because you said a nice thing to the old lady is folly.... because the more selflessly and directly we relate to our experiences, the better we are at acting skillfully. So, instead of considering all of the magic you can do with the winnings/losings, you're underpinning a stronger sense of self by "look what MY merit won ME" or "Oh, I didn't have enough karma to win that for ME today".

I think in the west especially there is the need to have some external entity hold some metaphysical scales of justice to dispense magical reward and punishment. Otherwise reality is sort of real and boring.

• Both views are problematic for me, although I still believe in karma. Just not sure exactly how it works. And how does it work -- or doesn't it -- for people who are amoral. Hmmm...especially when most people believe karma is a universal principle.
    @vinlyn- I feel the same way. I don't believe in karma, as it has been described, here and on other forums. I believe that the attitudes of a society have more of an effect. If you live in a place where people are biased, they will side with the person they like rather than the one who is telling the truth or has been wronged. The dishonest person gets away with it and is not compelled by social disapproval to regret his behavior. It would seem that social memes would enforce the activity. A dishonest person could go through his/her whole life harming others with no twinge of guilt and even feel that he/she is in the right.

• If Wikipedia works for you, it all seems to be here- following these few paragraphs I've copied and pasted...

Karma in Buddhism
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Karma (Sanskrit, also karman, Pāli: Kamma) means "action" or "doing"; whatever one does, says, or thinks is a karma. In Buddhism, the term karma is used specifically for those actions which spring from the intention (Sanskrit: cetanā, Pali: cetana) of an unenlightened being.

These bring about a fruit (Sanskrit, Pali: phala) or result (S., P.: vipāka; the two are often used together as vipākaphala), either within the present life, or in the context of a future rebirth. Other Indian religions have different views on karma. Karma is the engine which drives the wheel of the cycle of uncontrolled rebirth (S., P. saṃsāra) for each being. In the early texts it is not, however, the only causal mechanism influencing the lives of sentient beings.

As one scholar states, "the Buddhist theory of action and result (karmaphala) is fundamental to much of Buddhist doctrine, because it provides a coherent model of the functioning of the world and its beings, which in turn forms the doctrinal basis for the Buddhist explanations of the path of liberation from the world and its result, nirvāṇa."[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karma_in_Buddhism
  • I'm sorry, SherabDorje, this is just a definition of a belief to me. It doesn't prove that karma is real. Maybe it's because I am from a western culture and from a different religious background, but it's just a religious theory to me.

On other threads, Buddhists debate on whether the soul exists or not. They don't agree on rebirth. Some say that when you die you, the essence that is you is gone. How can this support the idea of karmic seeds coming to fruition in a future life? If the originator of the karma is dead- how can karma teach a dead person?
    I'm sorry, SherabDorje, this is just a definition of a belief to me. It doesn't prove that karma is real. Maybe it's because I am from a western culture and from a different religious background, but it's just a religious theory to me.

On other threads, Buddhists debate on whether the soul exists or not. They don't agree on rebirth. Some say that when you die you, the essence that is you is gone. How can this support the idea of karmic seeds coming to fruition in a future life? If the originator of the karma is dead- how can karma teach a dead person?
    I don't think that karma has ever been described in a way that is satisfactory to the broad spectrum of Buddhists. Hence the problem with the concept. The cause and effect relationship seems obvious, at first, but as you attempt to apply it to more and more situations it seems to break down...or at least be less satisfactory. And in a sense, this is the problem with many concepts in many religions. I'm afraid that many Buddhists think karma and many other concepts are so clear cut and so scientific....and they're not.

• edited June 2011
    :thumbsup: Thanks, that sums it up pretty well.
  • I'm sorry, SherabDorje, this is just a definition of a belief to me. It doesn't prove that karma is real. Maybe it's because I am from a western culture and from a different religious background, but it's just a religious theory to me.

No one will ever be able to prove that karma is real. No one will ever be able to prove whether or not the soul is real, and no one will ever be able to prove whether rebirth is real, or at least not for a long time.

Somebody help me out here- isn't the workings of karma considered an "imponderdable"? (I just checked online and it is one of the Four Imponderables.)

I thought the question was about belief systems. The Wikipedia article goes through the various belief systems about karma, but no one will ever be able to prove it and we could drive ourselves crazy thinking about it, which is the definition of an imponderable.

Look at it this way- if karma were provable, then that would have been concluded a couple of thousand years ago and everybody would be Buddhist and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

• A Laconic reply in the style of the Spartans- "IF".
  • santhisouksanthisouk Veteran
    edited June 2011
    How we view karma and how others view karma, is really not important. What is important is that you find what works (realized through experience) for you, and if it works then it does not matter what anyone says or do. If you have not found what works, then maybe "karma" is not the answer that you are looking for. Maybe you are looking for a higher reality than karma, and perhaps there is, but until then we just have to take it for what it is. It is just information handed from history however diluted or rearranged it may be, it's just information. Only believe it if you have direct experience.
    Not laconic at all, just how it is. No one can show or prove how karma works. The rest of the statements on this page are just statements of opinion or belief. Seriously, the workings of karma is one of the Four Imponderables. That's just how it is.
    Not laconic at all, just how it is. No one can show or prove how karma works. The rest of the statements on this page are just statements of opinion or belief. Seriously, the workings of karma is one of the Four Imponderables. That's just how it is.
    SherabDorjie, I'm not sure that you understood me. I wasn't implying that your reply was Laconic. I just took the word "if" from your post to reply to it. That small word is the determining factor.

• kayte- "IF" is all we have to go on here. It's a matter of opinion or belief. If Christians are right then ________. If Buddhists are right then ______ . No one will ever know for sure.
  • kayte- "IF" is all we have to go on here. It's a matter of opinion or belief. If Christians are right then ________. If Buddhists are right then ______ . No one will ever know for sure.
    I agree!
  • No one will ever be able to prove that karma is real.
    That depends on what one means by karma. If one means some kind of majic, then yes, agree. If one means simply mental/moral causation then it seems that it is utterly clear and certain that it is real.

>>>No one will ever be able to prove whether or not the soul is real, and no one will ever be able to prove whether rebirth is real, or at least not for a long time.

I think the Buddha proved that there are no essential-eternal things, which is enough to me to prove there is no soul. The only exception is the idea of a universal soul of which we are part, that seems compatible with annica and anatman.

>>>Somebody help me out here- isn't the workings of karma considered an "imponderdable"? (I just checked online and it is one of the Four Imponderables.)

I dont think so, It is imponderable to be able to determine the results of any action 9karmic fruit) but karma's workings are explained by interdependent causation - its the deepest part of dharma as Buddha says, but not imponderable

x
  • How we view karma and how others view karma, is really not important. What is important is that you find what works (realized through experience) for you, and if it works then it does not matter what anyone says or do. If you have not found what works, then maybe "karma" is not the answer that you are looking for. Maybe you are looking for a higher reality than karma, and perhaps there is, but until then we just have to take it for what it is. It is just information handed from history however diluted or rearranged it may be, it's just information. Only believe it if you have direct experience.
    I agree with you. I don't obsess about karma. What I have noticed in some parts of western culture- is a new interpretation of karma. I posted a thread about it when I first joined this site but it just turned into a debate about what karma is. Too bad, because I thought that it might be an interesting thread.

What I tried to discuss was the way some people invoked "karma" when they took negative action against another person. They invoked "karma" when they took pleasure in someone's troubles. It seemed that they were corrupting the concept to support their personal actions.

Here's a link to that thread, if you're interested:

Advanced Ideas- "Has the concept of Karma been corrupted?"

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/9009/has-the-concept-of-karma-been-corrupted/p1

• edited June 2011
    (Edited out...)
  • jlljll Veteran
    Kayte, do you know anything about Buddhism?
  • @jil- I know very little. I've read up on some of the basics, but it appears to be much like other religions in some ways. From what I've seen, there are some conflicting practices and views but that's true of many religions.

If my posts on this thread are distracting, then I'll end them now. I don't wish to interfere.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2011
    "Two questions: does karma determine everything?"

To me this is a confused question. Karma is a description of action and its result. But it isn't a force of nature, rather it is an observation. So for example if a tomato spoils it is due to the effects of oxygen and bacteria. Karma is an appelation to describe that one thing lead to another.

Most of where karma of concern is how your actions influence your mind. In these cases intention is very powerful. Why did you do something? The way your mind is set up is going to have huge power on what happens, but that is misleading. Again karma is not a force it is just an observation. I don't like him. So I speak shitty to him. So did my anger cause karma that made us have a fight? Thats an appearance.

After all we don't know precisely what anger is. It has only a context in a specific being and experience. We don't know how karma functions, but we (you) try to use it to make sense. Either it is deadening the situation by causing you to cease looking to understand. Or it could have a benifitial effect somehow.. can't think of an example, but karma its true can be a helpful idea.

Must everything that happens to us be explained with karma?"

Depends what your goal is in asking. Which is a little thought experiment into the notions of karma. If you want to know so that the questions are settled or so you can show your knowledge off reflect on how knowing that things are due to karma would have only limited utility during old age sickness or death. The view might be somewhat comforting, but you would still be vexed.

I think you are experiencing that the view of karma takes some of the aliveness out of life. It is somewhat deadening to think 'oh thats karma'. I think the value of karma is that it prevents us from spinning out into emotionality. We can say 'ah karma' 'ah impermanence'. Therefore I suggest not to take karma as an explanation which can be deadening but rather as a way to look at things and lighten up about disasters. Importantly a motivation to do what you can to put yourself in a position where you DO have the insight to practice with sickness and death. Death is coming and you have a chance now.

"Second, does karma get accumulated (which is why we take birth again and again), or is karma instant? Then what explains rebirth (assuming it's instant)?"

I am not sure what you mean by instant. Karma can ripen at a later time even though the 'seed' is produced instantly. Or so I have been told ;)

Peace be with you!

• Very well put yet again, Jeffrey. :)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2011
    "What I tried to discuss was the way some people invoked "karma" when they took negative action against another person. They invoked "karma" when they took pleasure in someone's troubles. It seemed that they were corrupting the concept to support their personal actions."

Kayte you might be interested in reading what my lama, shenpen hookham, said related to actions between people relating to karma. Here is the question and answer public mailing [url=http://www.buddhism-connect.org/sanghaspace-members/teachings/?article=1823&searchtext=karma]Karma[/url]
  • "What I tried to discuss was the way some people invoked "karma" when they took negative action against another person. They invoked "karma" when they took pleasure in someone's troubles. It seemed that they were corrupting the concept to support their personal actions."

Kayte you might be interested in reading what my lama, shenpen hookham, said related to actions between people relating to karma. Here is the question and answer public mailing [url=http://www.buddhism-connect.org/sanghaspace-members/teachings/?article=1823&searchtext=karma]Karma[/url]
    Thank you, Jeffrey. I'll check out the site.
  • We just need to grasp the gist of some things and move on. This is necessary in order to make sense of other things that we might encounter along the path.
  • We just need to grasp the gist of some things and move on. This is necessary in order to make sense of other things that we might encounter along the path.
    I like the "move on" part of your statement. Discussions become circular or even aimless after a while if people don't leave it at "grasping the jist", as you say. I think this is sort of similar to what the Buddha meant by "driving oneself mad" when trying to ponder an imponderable like the results of karma.

:thumbsup:
  • edited June 2011
    The workings of karma are an imponderable because karma is NOT always "instant". It can pile up for years and smack you all at once in one lifetime or another, or it can dribble along gradually, or it can affect one's life (or a series of lifetimes) in fits and starts. It's too complex to understand, so the Buddha referred to it as an imponderable for all but a realized Buddha.

We had a thread once, quoting a passage that said karma does NOT relate to weather patterns, random acts of violence, or other random events.

As far as: does the law of karma determine the circumstances of one's rebirth (as a cripple, or to a poor family, or to a wealthy but troubled family, or whatever)--well, that's the subject of endless debate. Not everyone agrees.

Karma is provable to a certain extent. If you hit someone, or are cruel to them, what will be their reaction? In some way, sooner or later, you'll experience a reaction. The fruit of your action will come back to you. Action (or some say: volition) and reaction. Bernie Madoff did get a reaction from his intent to cheat masses of people. Did G.W. Bush get a reaction from trashing the American economy and starting foreign wars? If not, why not? Maybe the fruit of his action is waiting to pounce on him in a future lifetime.
    . From what I've seen, there are some conflicting practices and views but that's true of many religions.
    I've noticed this, too, since coming to this forum. there are passages in the sutras that appear to be contradictory, plus so much is open to individual interpretation (like scriptures in other religions), questions of proper translation (and debates about correct translation).

No, karma does not explain everything but a whole lot eg your looks and intelligence, etc.
    This is highly debatable. Don't be so sure.
    No, karma is not instant.
    Yes it is, sometimes.

• edited June 2011
    What I have noticed in some parts of western culture- is a new interpretation of karma.

What I tried to discuss was the way some people invoked "karma" when they took pleasure in someone's troubles. It seemed that they were corrupting the concept to support their personal actions.
    This actually happens in Asia, as well. We had a member who lived in Ladakh and also studied in a monastery in Nepal, and she said a lot of people (including monks and nuns) have misunderstandings about karma, about attachment, and other concepts. Growing up in a Buddhist culture, or even in a monastery or nunnery, doesn't guarantee correct understanding of the basics. This corruption of the concept of karma is not exclusive to the West.

• jlljll Veteran
    keep it simple, do good & get good results.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Does karma determine everything? Must everything that happens to us be explained with karma?
    No. Some things (natural disasters etc) that may appear tragic and/or karmic, are simply according to nature's laws.
    Second, does karma get accumulated (which is why we take birth again and again), or is karma instant?
    Accumulated.

In terms of specific calcluations about karma, Buddha advised to avoid such musings, as it is incalculable..
  • jlljll Veteran
    'No. Some things (natural disasters etc) that may appear tragic and/or karmic, are simply according to nature's laws. '
    But then again, karma is the law of nature.
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran
    Does karma determine everything? Must everything that happens to us be explained with karma?
    No. Some things (natural disasters etc) that may appear tragic and/or karmic, are simply according to nature's laws.
    Perhaps, but why is it only certain people get affected by these tragedies and not the rest?
  • Go find the koan "Huakujo's Fox"
  • jlljll Veteran
    K sri Dhammananda was a famous monk. He was involved in a serious car accident in China. He said he was quite sure he was going to die in the head on collision. " I had enough good karma to escape unhurt" . Many other people died in the accident.
  • Simple things such as "Do good and receive good, do bad and receive bad" are too difficult to understand for some, because they feel some people are getting away with doing bad, or they want to live without worrying about the bad things they have done in the past.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    K sri Dhammananda was a famous monk. He was involved in a serious car accident in China. He said he was quite sure he was going to die in the head on collision. " I had enough good karma to escape unhurt" . Many other people died in the accident.
    Good point. Sometimes "good" or "bad" karma is simply a matter of view.
    Simple things such as "Do good and receive good, do bad and receive bad" are too difficult to understand for some, because they feel some people are getting away with doing bad, or they want to live without worrying about the bad things they have done in the past.
    It can also seem like blaming the victim, if one believes someone was born with deformities or caught in a random phenomenon of nature caused their own misfortune via misconduct in a past life.

I had a thread up once, about the Buddha's teaching that natural disasters and random violence were not subject to the workings of karma. And some people did argue that human activity now is so closely linked to nature (climate change, for example) that the teaching no longer applies. idk. Go figure.
    Kayte, do you know anything about Buddhism?
    Let's all bear in mind that this is Buddhism for Beginners.

• It can also seem like blaming the victim, if one believes someone was born with deformities or caught in a random phenomenon of nature caused their own misfortune via misconduct in a past life.

I had a thread up once, about the Buddha's teaching that natural disasters and random violence were not subject to the workings of karma. And some people did argue that human activity now is so closely linked to nature (climate change, for example) that the teaching no longer applies. idk. Go figure.
    Of course karma is not necessarily just "Do good receive good" etc. That's just part of it. The other part of it is payback and penance, and I'm sure there's more parts, its imponderable.

It can also seem like blaming the victim, if one believes someone was born with deformities or caught in a random phenomenon of nature caused their own misfortune via misconduct in a past life.

Of course karma is not necessarily just "Do good receive good" etc. That's just part of it. The other part of it is payback and penance, and I'm sure there's more parts, its imponderable.

Oops...you were just pondering it. You will go mad within 24 hours.

• It's just thoughts. They come and go. These thoughts never come up in meditation though, perhaps they did a long time ago, that's probably why they don't come up anymore. The less thoughts the better. :)
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Then the monk was wrong in his view of karma, because his good karma had nothing to do with his survival. By saying this, he's saying that the people who died had accumulated bad karma and only he was worthy to live. But it's like people thanking God and saying it's because they prayed for a miracle when they survive a tragedy. They aren't thinking about the good people who died. It's their only way of expressing the astonishment at the miracle of surviving.

But it's a common view over the world and in spite of your particular religion. A few Japanese Buddhists are even saying the recent earthquake and ongoing tragedy is because they accumulated bad karma as a nation. A wrong view.

Karma is not imponderable. People, even otherwise wise monks, simply refuse to let go of their desire for reality to reward and punish people according to their actions.
  • Namaste,

Two questions: does karma determine everything?
    No, Karma only really makes sense with the value sentient phenomena; positive experince and negative experince.

>Must everything that happens to us be explained with karma?

No, in fact one of the imponderables is that it cant be explained by Karma. Karma in the simplest sense is the anchient law that negativity makes more negativity and positivity makes more positivity.

>Second, does karma get accumulated (which is why we take birth again and again), or is karma instant?

It is wise to be clear here, bceuase it does get accumlated in a sense of propensity; eg, more positive action will mean more positive fruit. And the ripening takes place in the future not in the moment.

But this does not mean that karma is merit, though some schools interpret it as thuis, in my opinion they have made a profound mistake. - I may be very wrong on this, of course.

Namaste
  • I find it odd that there are two threads going on the same subject, and on this thread, most respondents have said karma isn't instant (I don't know why people are saying this), but on the other thread, everyone is saying, more realistically, that karma is sometimes instant. See the "results of karma in this lifetime?" thread.
  • jlljll Veteran
    Cinorjer, I admire your confidence in your own point of view. K Sri Dhammananda was a highly regarded monk. Many people believe that he was an arahant.
    Then the monk was wrong in his view of karma, because his good karma had nothing to do with his survival. By saying this, he's saying that the people who died had accumulated bad karma and only he was worthy to live. But it's like people thanking God and saying it's because they prayed for a miracle when they survive a tragedy. They aren't thinking about the good people who died. It's their only way of expressing the astonishment at the miracle of surviving.

But it's a common view over the world and in spite of your particular religion. A few Japanese Buddhists are even saying the recent earthquake and ongoing tragedy is because they accumulated bad karma as a nation. A wrong view.

Karma is not imponderable. People, even otherwise wise monks, simply refuse to let go of their desire for reality to reward and punish people according to their actions.
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    Aren't there different types of karma?