Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is science an answer to eve-ry-thing?

edited July 2011 in Philosophy
Ok, I will try to maintain a sort of equanimity here while posting this thread. To begin with... a lot of members here on the form seem to try to reduce spirituality to a scientific experiment... This is how I felt while reading many posts regarding science and Buddhism. My point here is this: After trying to rationalize many metaphysical concepts, then trying to analyze them, seeing if their valid in a logical manner, I came to understand 'Science cannot explain everything'. I liked a post where a member suggested that we should take a look at to the philosophy of science and how it came to be in the form that it has currently taken. If things and human history had been different, maybe science would have taken a different turn.

So to conclude my dear fellow members, do you feel that science can explain every paranormal, metaphysical, spiritual thing and reduce it in a big scientific experiment, or is there more to that...? If you need clarification on my thread please lead me to it cause the OP was created under an umbrella of a mild emotional agitation which I tried to control as best as possible.

With Metta,
budding_flower

Comments

• DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited July 2011
    No, of course science cannot explain everything. Human knowledge has natural limits.

But - it can explain much more than some people like to believe.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I believe that all metaphysical phenomena are natural and can be ultimatly understood. I don't know if science will ever be able to measure a thought or categorize 'the soul' though. I don't believe that all spiritual phenomena are just a product of the material world though or that they are just an illusion created by the brain.
  • edited July 2011
    Science is a tool, which usually relies on educated theories most of the time. New discoveries take place, and theories change. Such as Newton's ideas about absolute time and space were eventually supplanted by Einstien's theories of relativity. Science is a tool that can help us understand the nature of things, but it certainly can't explain everything. Nor should it.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    Yes, I feel science be used to explain everything because the universe it is in has order.

I also like the quote "Science will one day prove what faith has always known."

Just because there isn't sufficient evidence of something (such as supernatural forces, aliens) does not mean they don't exist. It just means there isn't evidence.
  • edited July 2011
    Just because there isn't sufficient evidence of something (such as supernatural forces, aliens) does not mean they don't exist. It just means there isn't evidence.
    True. However, even with a lack of evidence, it doesn't mean they haven't tried to calculate possibilities. Have you heard of the "Drake equation"? It's basically a forumla which tries to calculate the possibility of extraterrestrial life.
    http://discovermagazine.com/2006/may/drake-equation

• jlljll Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Science is a work in progress. In a 100 years, the science of today would seem foolish.
    Dont expect too much. There are people in this forum who mixes Buddhism & Christianity. Some who think they know better than the most famous monks and meditation teachers.
    Dont get agitated, its not good for you.
  • Science in 100 years wont make science of today look foolish. There is no basis for that at all. If we look at what Newton did over 200 years ago it is still applied. Of course we have much better understanding but it didnt make Newtons' observations invalid or silly.

Science is just a study of the physical world, if something is metaphysical by definition science cant explain it.

But things like "mind reading" can be easily tested through science because of their claim on the physical world which can be tested.
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    I would say Science could put an end to everything. It is because of Science that we have the atom bom.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Science can't liberate one from birth and death.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    consciousness > thoughts > actions > habits > character > culture > society

science looks outwards. when science looks inwards you realize it all starts with consciousness.
    consciousness being empty and truly a mystery that no one will solve. there is nothing to solve, nor is there anything to be gained. just this. this appreciating of everything and this meeting point of all things manifest in this one elegant moment that is constantly changing.

when science meets consciousness then we have a buddha.
  • auraaura Veteran
    Science in 100 years wont make science of today look foolish. There is no basis for that at all.
    Except, of course, all that data that was filtered out before it was ever recorded because it inconveniently conflicted with the vested interests funding the research grants.
    Scientists who cannot be conveniently bought by the sources funding their research grants are as mythical as unicorns.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2011
    aura thats bull, I was a scientist and i never falsify my work.

a lot of science is to develope a technology. If I falsify my work that I have a good polymer for a computer screen. And then they develope a screen and sell it and it sucks. That company will go out of business. Its not in the interest to falsify.

Also somebody studying E2 thermal transmissions in ferrocene chemistry funded by the NSF is not going to falsify anything because they have no motive. Thats basic research on basic laws of science.

I can see what your saying as far as research to see if chocolate is healthy, but still thats an assumption. Can you substantiate that ALL of those scientists are unethical? Or did you make that up?

• auraaura Veteran
    edited July 2011
    As an observant scientist yourself, I am sure that you have noted that at no time did I draw any conclusions whatsoever about "all scientists" nor about "falsification" nor about the "ethics" of anyone whatsoever.
    I said there is a problem with data recording when that data conflicts with the vested interests of research funding sources. Serious "conflict of interest" problems do indeed support the contention that 100 years from now much of the "science" of today may indeed look more like false "safe and effective" marketing ploys than science, and mankind and the environment may well be paying the price.

I am glad that the company you work for has no vested interest in undermining your research findings, but there are many vested interests that have a very great deal of interest indeed in undermining honest research findings.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    You did say scientists were bought which implies all of the above. And you said scientists who were not bought were as rare as unicorns. 'Bought' implies falsification and unethical behaviour. You couldn't have innocently meant that they receive a paycheck could you have?
  • jlljll Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Let me ask a simple question. What does the science say?
    Is coffee good for you or not?
    Scientists are human beings, they are just as deluded as everyone else.
  • aura I dont understand what you are getting at.

Questions like "is coffee good for you" is hardly a great scientific question. The reason there is no simple questions is because it depends on so many things. If you truly did want to see if coffee was good for you (and how much) you could be studied and tested and there would be an answer.

There is no stock answer yes or no, every human being can react very different to substances.

Science rules all...no doubt about it.
  • auraaura Veteran
    You did say scientists were bought which implies all of the above. And you said scientists who were not bought were as rare as unicorns. 'Bought' implies falsification and unethical behaviour. You couldn't have innocently meant that they receive a paycheck could you have?
    To "buy" a research scientist means to "buy" a research scientist. Hiring, firing, and promotion of scientists is based on their successful performance in providing research results sought by business interests. Businesses are not in business to promote truth in the world, but to make money in the world. Where scientific research results do not conflict with vested business interests there is no conflict of interest problem. However, where scientific research results do conflict with vested business interests and big money is at stake, there is a huge conflict of interest problem between business and science in which scientists are easily bought and sold, promoted or pigeonholed, and ridiculed, silenced and blacklisted, like so many pawns in chess.

Science doesn't rule the majority of this world, money does, and most everybody on the block will sell out when the stakes are high enough.
    Just how many scientists have you seen stand by the truth after they were notified that standing by the truth would cost them their hard-earned careers?
    I have seen exactly one in my life. He was an honest man and it cost him his career; it cost him everything.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2011
    I see your point aura now that you have fleshed it out. I would extend however that as I said in not all professions is there a conflict of interest. In R and D for example they are trying to find effective technologies which no one is served for falsifying results.

I was a water testing chemist and we were regulated by the governemtn we had to pass certification that we could determine unknowns. I am not aware of us EVER falsifying any water tests. And I ran half the tests so they would have to doctor my spreadsheet reports to the client as they didn't have me on board if they wanted to falsify any EPA studies, closures on houses, city water tests, etc..
  • Scientists are like everyone else; there are a few very good ones, there are many who are decent, but not great, and then there are a few who are incompetent or even dishonest. I'm sure that the bell curve applies here. I think it's appropriate to be suspicious of studies funded by organizations that have a vested interest in the outcome. However, I'm not as cynical as some are - I do believe that most scientific research is being honestly conducted by reasonably competent professionals. Fortunately, most bad science is filtered out by the peer review process.
    I liked a post where a member suggested that we should take a look at to the philosophy of science and how it came to be in the form that it has currently taken. If things and human history had been different, maybe science would have taken a different turn.
    Since science is essentially knowledge of how the universe functions and the laws that govern it, I don't see how it could take "a different turn." The law of gravity applies regardless of personal beliefs, philosophical differences, or whatever. Perhaps if human history had been different, our understanding of the various sciences would be better or worse than it is now, but I don't see science itself as being subjective in any way.

It's been my experience that when someone is vehemently distrustful of science or scientists, there is a personal agenda involved. Usually, it involves some cherished personal belief that is either contradicted by current scientific understanding (e.g. Evolution vs. "Creationism") or is given little or no credence by scientists (e.g. psychic phenomena or the existence of supernatural entities). For the sake of equanimity (one of the four Heavenly Abodes), I find it's best to avoid serious disputation with anyone strongly attached to a personal belief. We always have the option of putting aside opinion and maintaining a disinterested neutrality.

Alan

• Well now that I have calmed down ( :p ), I would like to add a few words. Have you had experiences that cannot be explained by rational mind or in a scientific way? Also trying to explain this experience in a scientific manner did this you lead you anywhere? For instance, near-death-experiences; there are scientists who will try to find evidence to prove that people who experienced where not dead, rather brain dead and such, in a way that doctors couldn't detect, and scientists that are more open minded that would try to find evidence that there might be some kind of proof to support the existence of a sort of after death experience...

So where does the scale fall these days? More to the former rather the later my dear @Still_Waters. So I wasn't talking about science dealing with the natural cosmos but rather to metaphysics. If the world history was different, the scale might fall to the later so scientists would make a good effort to study this phenomenon without being ridiculed by the general scientific community.

With metta,
    budding_flower
  • edited July 2011
    P.S.: Even the later scientists may not find any evidence in the far future if they don't change their scientific paradigm, for instance including in their work other senses, senses that could be added to the five 'concrete' once. Just IMHO.... :)
  • Not a fair question.

"Is science the answer," compared to what? Guessing? Wishful thinking? Begging the Gods for a reply? Using our non-existant psychic powers to effect the world?

I'm sitting here surrounded by and enjoying the fruits of science. From the electrons flowing through my wall outlet to the software written that lets my computer communicate with your computer, it's all do to science.

Because of science, we can see to the edge of our universe and know that there are worlds orbiting around other stars. What else can answer these questions? Do we use remote viewing and astral projection to visit other worlds and psychic photographs to record what we see?

But when it comes to questions about morality and what it all means, science does not apply. Science tells us what reality is and what it does, not what we should do with it. Life has one goal, and that is survival. Science tells us that. Somewhere along the line, the human race didn't get the message. You wouldn't think even such a basic instinct as surviving exists, to look at people's behavior and the state of the world right now. So our evolved intelligence, what science says allowed us to be the apex predator on this planet, might be our own doom. Go figure.
  • Well now that I have calmed down ( :p ), I would like to add a few words. Have you had experiences that cannot be explained by rational mind or in a scientific way? Also trying to explain this experience in a scientific manner did this you lead you anywhere? For instance, near-death-experiences; there are scientists who will try to find evidence to prove that people who experienced where not dead, rather brain dead and such, in a way that doctors couldn't detect, and scientists that are more open minded that would try to find evidence that there might be some kind of proof to support the existence of a sort of after death experience...

So where does the scale fall these days? More to the former rather the later my dear @Still_Waters. So I wasn't talking about science dealing with the natural cosmos but rather to metaphysics. If the world history was different, the scale might fall to the later so scientists would make a good effort to study this phenomenon without being ridiculed by the general scientific community.
    @budding_flower, I don't think we can have a meeting of the minds on this issue. I don't think that an argument exists that could dissuade you from your belief in the close-mindedness of scientists or your perception that "metaphysical" things are objectively real. However, to answer your question, no, I haven't had any experiences that "cannot be explained by a rational mind." Such things aren't really a concern for me in any event. Speculation about such things (along with politics and religion) tends to get people all hot and bothered, so I generally prefer to leave them alone. (I know I'm making an exception here, and I'm already regretting it.) Just consider that the natural concern of the scientist is with the functioning of the natural cosmos, rather than "metaphysics." Scientists have plenty to do within the confines of their particular specializations and have achieved spectacular successes, as mentioned by Cinorjer.
    P.S.: Even the later scientists may not find any evidence in the far future if they don't change their scientific paradigm, for instance including in their work other senses, senses that could be added to the five 'concrete' once. Just IMHO.... :)
    Actually, plenty of research has been done in an attempt to verify the existence of a "sixth sense." Duke University a few decades ago comes to my mind as an example. None of that research led anywhere as far as I know. Such phenomena as telepathy, clairvoyance, telekinesis, and so on have a distressing tendency to disappear when tested under rigorous scientific conditions. I also heard of a substantial monetary reward offered by the Amazing Randy, a professional magician noted for debunking fraudulent psychics, to anyone who can demonstrate their powers to him. As far as I know, that money has never been collected by anyone.

Alan

• 'I don't think we can have a meeting of the minds on this issue...', I totally agree with you Alan, and BTW I like the fact that science has provided me the opportunity to talk with you with a fruit of its work, my laptop... :p
  • 'Actually, plenty of research has been done in an attempt to verify the existence of a "sixth sense." Duke University a few decades ago comes to my mind as an example. None of that research led anywhere as far as I know.'

And they want... :) So it all boils down to the hot subject of once 'Belief System', and I wouldn't agree with you less on the fact that these matters lead nowhere... I want be posting on this thread again, for Alan you've made me realize and re-thing that these things better left alone, they only lead to getting 'people all hot and bothered...', not a good buddhist way to resolve things... ;)
  • Science can't liberate one from birth and death.

Not yet.;-)

Spiny
  • auraaura Veteran
    In R and D for example they are trying to find effective technologies which no one is served for falsifying results.
    Please note that I said nothing about "falsifying" results. I said "Except, of course, all that data that was filtered out before it was ever recorded because it inconveniently conflicted with the vested interests funding the research grants."

"Falsifying" results occurs when "X results" are deliberately rewritten to yield the "Y results" desired by vested interests. By contrast, "filtering out data before it is recorded" is a matter of strategically funding, designing, and limiting "scientific studies" to yield those "Y results" desired by vested interests.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Yeah I think I have a one track mind aura. I meant R and D they have no reason to filter because they are developing technology. They want to develope a product better than their competitor. Likewise basic unapplied science, for example finding the bonding constants of Flourine in blah blah blah systems, is also no reason to filter.

My point is that a huge amount of science this filtering does not exist. Nobody is trying to filter out studies of sulphur because they like fluorine better.

• swaydamswaydam Veteran
    edited July 2011
    I don't think we can have a meeting of the minds on this issue. I don't think that an argument exists that could dissuade you from your belief in the close-mindedness of scientists or your perception that "metaphysical" things are
    Why do you think most scientists aren't close-minded?
  • auraaura Veteran
    If no one is interested in filtering, de-funding, or silencing your comparative studies on sulfur v. fluorine, your comparative studies on sulfur v. fluorine are deemed unlikely to threaten the status quo of the reigning military/industrial/social complex and the scientific orthodoxy it maintains to support it and grant it continuity and legitimacy in the modern world.

On the other hand, any new empirical data and observations that do tend to threaten the continuity, status quo, and legitimacy of the reigning military/industrial/social complex and the scientific orthodoxy it maintains to support it and grant it continuity and legitimacy in the modern world are often silenced, de-funded, vilified, and dealt with in a most unscientific manner.

BuddingFlower's point:
    If things and human history had been different, maybe science would have taken a different turn.
    is a sound and legitimate one.

• YishaiYishai Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Any time we perform an experiment, we already know what to reasonably expect from the outcomes. Only rarely will we do something without knowing what may happen (CERN is one such example). What I'm trying to say is: we aren't necessarily limited by our knowledge but loosely confined. If our knowledge were surrounded by heavy stones, we only have the ability to expand it by small amounts over time by pushing these boundaries. Every once and a while though, someone sees beyond the stones (Nikola Tesla, Einstein, Newton, etc.). Sometimes, the heavy stones making up this knowledge border in our analogy are put there intentionally by the Church, State, and other powerful sociopolitical bodies.

Can science explain everything? Maybe. But can it explain everything right now? Definitely not. Only time will tell how far our scientific endeavors take us.

As far as people have tried to study the Sixth Sense as you would call it, or metaphysics. It is likely that we are using the wrong tools to do such a thing. We're applying tools meant for other purposes and applying it to something unrelated. For example, using an EKG to measure brainwaves as someone tries to do something metaphysical. We do not know the origins of the metaphysical, and we do not know how they operate. Thus, we are confined by current knowledge and tools. It takes a visionary to explode our boundaries.
  • swaydamswaydam Veteran
    Physical science (basically physics?) is just one branch of science, and science is a branch of philosophy. Buddhism is a science(a psychological science). Auto mechanics is a science. Art is a science. Farming is a science. Business is a science. Parenting is a science.

Stop treating science like its this independent thing. There are only people, and people make mistakes. Its the same with Buddhism. People get all caught up in the abstract idea of Buddhism, giving it more external authority than their own minds and hearts, which contains living wisdom, and from which Buddhism arose and is maintained. Its like a Majestic King worshiping his box of tools. The tools are useful, but only as useful as the Creative Intelligence which makes good use of them.
  • Science attempts to explain the nature of phenomena through logical deduction and observation of results. Moving from theory, conjecture, beliefs to what can be proven to be fact.

The Buddha used the same kind of logical approach to provide us with the 4 NT and 8 FP.

I would agree that there are things that can not be explained. It has to do with the interdependence and interrelatedness of all things.

IMO - To try an explain the unknown with beliefs in the occult, or paranormal, or superstition, or space aliens, etc., would seem to be just more wild speculation that does not bring us any closer to liberation.

Best Wishes
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2011
    There aren't facts in science. There are theories and observations. Facts has to do with matters of public opinion.
  • I don't think we can have a meeting of the minds on this issue. I don't think that an argument exists that could dissuade you from your belief in the close-mindedness of scientists or your perception that "metaphysical" things are
    Why do you think most scientists aren't close-minded?
    Why would you assume that they are? The very process of science requires an open-minded investigation based not on hearsay or traditional beliefs or speculation, but on close observation of natural phenomena. Many of the great discoveries of science contradicted the established beliefs of the time, and in some cases were pursued in the face of bitter opposition from powerful authority figures. Of course that doesn't mean that there aren't scientists who have their own cherished beliefs that they irrationally cling to, but I don't see any reason to believe that scientists as a group are "close-minded." They couldn't do what they do if that were true.

Alan

• Observable replicable results qualify as facts.

Public opinion not so much so.
  • auraaura Veteran
    Observable replicable results qualify as facts.
    Of course the issue of how those observable replicable results may be most effectively used and interpreted, publicized or censored/classified, bought or sold, and for whose gain or loss, is always another interesting matter of fact and opinion.... and generally not-so-public opinion.

Which leaves us once again laughing over the parodies put forth by the Journal of Irreproducible Results....
    http://www.jir.com/favorites.html
  • If science is the answer to everything, the world would never be so many unresolved issues.
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    Physical science (basically physics?) is just one branch of science, and science is a branch of philosophy. Buddhism is a science(a psychological science). Auto mechanics is a science. Art is a science. Farming is a science. Business is a science. Parenting is a science.
    I thought Buddhism was an art. Auto mechanics was an art. Art was an art. Farming was an art. Business was an art. Parenting was an art
    :scratch: Funny how you can say one thing is another.
  • edited July 2011
    I thought Buddhism was an art. Auto mechanics was an art. Art was an art. Farming was an art. Business was an art. Parenting was an art
    Buddhism is discipline and practice. Business is cutthroat. Parenting is hard. Art is messy. Auto mechanics is dirty. :)

And these, like science, are processes. However, science does shares similarities with Buddhism in that it involves knowledge attained through study and practice.

Also, you guys should check out the book The Quantum and the Lotus. It's a discussion between a scientist-turned-Buddhist monk named Matthieu Ricard and a Vietnamese scientist named Trinh Xuan Thuan
  • to quote gregory bateson (a respected and brilliant biologist) "science never proves anything". period. a really good theoretical scientist will confirm this - contrary to popular belief the scientific approach is for the purpose of making reasonably reliable predictions of the future; it is _not_ for establishing or proving "truths" or "how things _really_ are". scientific method provides a conceptual framework in which to create, discuss and test predictive models of observable data/events. nothing more - this is part of its power and utility. the predictive models are called theories and they are constantly evolving and adapting to the technologies and discoveries that arise; old theories and conceptual frameworks are to be discarded (ideally) as soon as a new model provides more accurate prediction and/or comprehensibility. this points to the inherent and necessary subjective factor of science - the side that is usually ignored by people that treat "science" like a religion and the ultimate arbiter of Truth.

really its just a pretty useful way to think about things. i wish more "scientists" would treat it with this respect rather than the faith of scientism.

and so on...
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    Buddhism is discipline and practice. Business is cutthroat. Parenting is hard. Art is messy. Auto mechanics is dirty. :)

And these, like science, are processes. However, science does shares similarities with Buddhism in that it involves knowledge attained through study and practice.

Also, you guys should check out the book The Quantum and the Lotus. It's a discussion between a scientist-turned-Buddhist monk named Matthieu Ricard and a Vietnamese scientist named Trinh Xuan Thuan
    I saw that book when I was getting a hardcopy of The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying at B&N

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    In my opinion within science 'fact' would be a bias in favor of a whole schema. An observation is just an observation. Interpretation is interpretation. Theory is theory.

By declaring something a fact you become less open to other possibilities.

'Fact' is usually something someone says to silence dissenting opinion. For example "its a fact that obama is driving the country into the ground". Or "its a fact that the greenhouse gas emissions will cause global warming".
  • AmeliaAmelia Veteran
    "Science" and "spiritual" are words. We give them duality. One represents cold, hard facts and the other represents a faith in things unseen.

But, without these words, the forces of this universe are just so: the forces of the universe. Whether the world is "spiritual" or "scientific", truth is truth. They way the world works is the way the world works.

Whether lofty and romantic or cold and factual, the processes that make up this universe can not be so easily wrapped up in labels.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    nice post amelia
  • AmeliaAmelia Veteran
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Bitte
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    @aura

I personally find your criticism of science to be valid up to a point, but then it becomes rather over-reaching and over-generalised.

Have you considered, for example, that selfish motivation (ie, profit) can nevertheless lead to the production of goods that are highly beneficial to society?

Despite competing interest groups at play (a constant factor in history, not just specific to science in particular) I can't help but think that, without science - from Archimedes to Hawking - we would be poorer in so many ways.

Namaste

• auraaura Veteran

I personally find your criticism of science to be valid up to a point, but then it becomes rather over-reaching and over-generalised.
    What over-reaching and over-generalized "criticism of science" are you referring to?
    Ric gave his opinion that there was no basis whatsoever on which to propose that the science of today might look foolish in 100 years.
    My contention is that there is indeed a basis on which to propose that the science of today might well look foolish in 100 years, as a lot of data that might disrupt our current orthodoxy in science is filtered out (before it is ever recorded) by our biases and military/industrial/social/corporate business interests and investments of the day.

If your contention is that this factor is irrelevant to the practice of what we refer to as science in the modern day, please provide a scientifically valid reason for the military classification and sequestration of data on UFO's for the last 60 years.

• @Aura,

I think you are mixing certain concepts. What I was referring to, its not like 100 years from now we are going to look back and say "wow gravity was way off, what were we thinking" or that one day evolution will become completely foolish and out of whack.
    Thats why I referred to Newton, and although he missed a lot of things his ideas still hold weight. Its not that he got it all wrong, he just missed important aspects. So its not like Newton's ideas became foolish, they just evolved into a better understanding.

Now, where I agree with you is that in 100 years we might look back at something like cellphones and be like "wtf were we thinking, those things were killing us" or something along those lines.

There are certain aspects of scientific pursuit that has truly been ridden by corruption and deceit. But my point was more to the overall scientific understanding we have of things like atoms, magnetism, molecules...and so on. Those are not going to suddenly become foolish.