Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is the mind completly reducable to the brain?

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran
edited July 2011 in Philosophy
Is the mind (thoughts and feelings or 'qualia') just a product of physical processes in the brain? Is the mind something completly seperate and the brain acts as a reciever for mind. Or is the mind an emergent phenomena of the brain, something produced by the brain but possessing qualities of its own not determined by the brain and thus having downward causality? Or is it some other type of phenomena?

For myself I don't feel that the mind is simply a literal product of firing neurons in the brain. With the use of fMRI and eeg scientists can 'read' a persons brain waves and can interpret the signals to allow someone, even a monkey, to move a cursor on a computer screen. They can tell the difference when someone is thinking of geometric shapes and when they are thinking about food. To the best of my knowledge though they can't tell if someone is thinking about a circle or a square, or an apple or an orange. They could hook up their machine to Stephen Hawkings brain and he could move a cursor to select certain symbols to form a complex mathematical formula but he couldn't just think of the formula and have the computer write it out.

The view of some buddhists, I'm thinking of HHDL and other TB, is that the mind is outside the brain and the brain is like a TV or radio receiving the signal. I'm moving more away from this notion to a more integrated notion of the two.

I feel that the mind, at least the one we experience from day to day, is maybe produced by the brain but is a strongly emergent phenomena and thus qualia and conciousness are able to act somewhat freely of the processes in the brain. Its not that they are independent of the brain and certain basic states of mind arise in dependence on specific areas of the brain, but the specifics of circle or square, apple or orange or complex ideas are one of the emergent properties of the mind and aren't directly produced by the brain.

In more advanced teachings of the fundamental nature of the mind in Buddhism its quality is described as clear and knowing. I speculate that this quality of the mind somehow interacts with the physical brain and the emergent mind to produce awarness, or "I think therefore I am". Without this basic, non-physical aspect of the mind we would be nothing more than organic computers with no self-awarness acting and reacting to internal and external phenomena without any chance for reflection and change.

I feel like I want to write more and tie this in to free will somehow but I'm not really sure how to go about it. Anyway, this is my current hypothesis and would like to hear if anyone agrees or disagrees and why.

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2011
    It's an interesting thought. I don't necessarily agree or disagree; although I find myself leaning more and more towards the view that what we call mind or consciousness is ultimately an emergent property of the brain and that free will is an illusion. Beyond that, I'm just not sure, and I doubt that I ever will be.
  • @person

No offense...I read your post over and over again but I still don't understand why the answer to this question is important to you?
    Why do you want to know the answer? Is it just for intellectual curiousity or there is more reason to it (i.e. somehow important for your spiritual development)?
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    It's an interesting thought. I don't necessarily agree or disagree; although I find seem myself leaning more and more towards the view that what we call mind or consciousness is ultimately an emergent property of the brain and that free will is an illusion. Beyond that, I'm just not sure, and I doubt that I ever will be.
    What I am saying is that the mind may be an emergent property of the brain but that it is Strongly Emergent and therefore isn't completely reducible to processes in the brain. I think that this view, if true, allows for both a largly deterministic view of cause and effect while still allowing for the possibility of free will. Or something, that thought doesn't seem quite right yet but I think its somewhere in the ballpark.

No offense...I read your post over and over again but I still don't understand why the answer to this question is important to you?
    Why do you want to know the answer? Is it just for intellectual curiousity or there is more reason to it (i.e. somehow important for your spiritual development)?
    I want to know if we have free will or not. How can we change our situation if we don't have some kind of control over our minds?
  • no, it isn't, there's no single complete explanation of mind as brain only.

it probably is a receptor only.

• No offense...I read your post over and over again but I still don't understand why the answer to this question is important to you?
    I want to know if we have free will or not. How can we change our situation if we don't have some kind of control over our minds?
    I see...I agree with Jason. On different perspective, free will is self driven and self is illusionary. At the end things are the way they are if there is no self - and free will becomes an irrelevant concept.
  • Free will is far from irrelevant to Buddhism. It's the basis of karma. (What's going on on this thread? This is a good OP.) We create the karmic seeds every day, every moment, as we make decisions via free will. Beware of taking the no self doctrine to extremes or misapplying it. All the teachings are meant to be taken together, and to work together.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited July 2011
    karma = conditioned mind = unconscious = determined

awareness = mindfulness = choice to act unconscious or with consciousness = freewill

non-self just means there is no permanent, independent, single essence or inherent self.

that means there can be a impermanent, dependent, interdependent self that is constantly evolving aka ego.

now breathe. one who isn't aware acts unconsciously based on previous patterned. one who is aware has a choice because he/she see's their patterns. one realizes this self has the 3 marks. right view, with free will with conditioned mind.

and to answer op's question. i believe that there is only consciousness, but consciousness only arises when there is body/mind. so everything is reduced to emptiness and even emptiness is reduced to emptiness.
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Free will still exists even if the mind is brain. Even if the mind is neurons firing. We still have free will because the brain is ours. The neurons are ours. It is our brain that determines how we act. I don't see how this contradicts free will. Seems like you are separating your ego from your brain. We are this flesh. If my brain is telling me to type this, then that is me... telling myself to type this. I have free will in determining whether or not I should type this because I used my brain. There isn't some little elf in my brain firing the neurons for me.
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    The opposite of free will is predetermination. However, you cannot say that the brain will react a certain way in the future because the brain is always changing. Our thought process is constantly being conditioned. Environment is constantly affecting our thoughts.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    Mind, brain, world of form are non dual, not separate?
    It's an interesting thought. I don't necessarily agree or disagree; although I find seem myself leaning more and more towards the view that what we call mind or consciousness is ultimately an emergent property of the brain and that free will is an illusion. Beyond that, I'm just not sure, and I doubt that I ever will be.
    What I am saying is that the mind may be an emergent property of the brain but that it is Strongly Emergent and therefore isn't completely reducible to processes in the brain. I think that this view, if true, allows for both a largly deterministic view of cause and effect while still allowing for the possibility of free will. Or something, that thought doesn't seem quite right yet but I think its somewhere in the ballpark.
    I understand. What I'm saying is that I'm leaning more towards the idea that consciousness is completely reducible to physical processes in the brain based on the evidence we currently have. As for free will, I don't really see that as a possibility unless there's some independent agent capable of making completely independent decisions (i.e., not causally determined); and so far, both Buddhism and science seem to effectively deny such an agency.
  • Interesting post @person

My opinion is that the mind is emerges from the neurochemical processes in the body. That is all it is. This was the view I had as a western philosopher and the view that I have now as a buddhist - it blew my mind when I started reading about the skandic mind, it seemed such a modern theory!

Is the mind (thoughts and feelings or 'qualia') just a product of physical processes in the brain?
    Yes
    Is the mind something completly seperate and the brain acts as a reciever for mind.
    No
    Or is the mind an emergent phenomena of the brain, something produced by the brain but possessing qualities of its own not determined by the brain and thus having downward causality?
    Yes

As you seem aware, western philosophy sees a distinction between the two "Yes" views above, but this distinction does not trouble the skandic mind.

There is no mind other than process and the mind emerges/arises from the aggregation of those processes.

All those very smart superviencince or epiphenomenist approaches are redundant in dharma.
    "I think therefore I am".
    I'd be interested to see how you can reconcile the cogito with anatman, I think it is deeply impossible - I haven't heard of Cartesian philosophers noticing this.

Without this basic, non-physical aspect of the mind we would be nothing more than organic computers with no self-awarness acting and reacting to internal and external phenomena without any chance for reflection and change.

You have to be so careful here that you dont smuggle in dualism as emmergnce. We can be nothing more than organic computers and yet live these amazing sentient lives, full of metta, dukka, karma and love.

To my, mind that is a part of the "middle of" the Middle path. I think somehow the buddha realsied what were were but found that true values emmerge and there is no need to head to the extream of nihilsm.

I feel like I want to write more and tie this in to free will somehow but I'm not really sure how to go about it. Anyway, this is my current hypothesis and would like to hear if anyone agrees or disagrees and why.
    Keep writing, keep thinking about this stuff, I'm certainly interested to read it. (Ignore the negs)

metta and respect,

Mat

edited July 2011
    Free will is far from irrelevant to Buddhism. It's the basis of karma. (What's going on on this thread? This is a good OP.) We create the karmic seeds every day, every moment, as we make decisions via free will. Beware of taking the no self doctrine to extremes or misapplying it. All the teachings are meant to be taken together, and to work together.
    I have to disagree. The basic premise behind kamma is that there's a cause and effect relationship between our actions and how they're experienced; hence kamma is essentially a causal mechanism. And as I mentioned on another thread, simply saying that our intentions are ultimately the result of electrochemical processes in the brain or just that they're causally determined in some way doesn't negate them or their correlates.

Furthermore, Buddhism is entirely compatible with causal determinism. For example, Dhammanando Bhikkhu once gave me the example of a mosquito biting you on the nose: first you feel annoyed and want to squash it, but then you recall that you're a precept-observing Buddhist and so restrain yourself.

He explained that when this event is described in conventional terms, or according to the Sutta method, it might be said that you had a choice to kill the mosquito or to refrain, and that you chose the latter. But when it's described according to the Abhidhamma method, your abstention from killing wasn't due to choice but to the arising of kusala cetasikas (wholesome mental factors) such as moral shame and fear of wrong-doing (hiri & ottappa), and abstinence (virati), i.e., it was causally determined.

True free will requires an independent agent (If it's conditioned, how can it said to be free?), and Buddhism effectively denies such an agency. And if our volition is itself conditioned by other factors, then it, too, must ultimately be the result of causally determined processes, meaning that it's not so much an actual agent as it has the appearance of one.

Of course, others have a different opinion of this matter and see room for a free yet conditioned agent, at least conventionally speaking. Thanissaro Bhikkhu, for example, a monastic I have great respect for, often talks about free will, e.g., in one essay he writes:
    For the early Buddhists, karma was non-linear and complex. Other Indian schools believed that karma operated in a simple straight line, with actions from the past influencing the present, and present actions influencing the future. As a result, they saw little room for free will. Buddhists, however, saw that karma acts in multiple feedback loops, with the present moment being shaped both by past and by present actions; present actions shape not only the future but also the present. Furthermore, present actions need not be determined by past actions. In other words, there is free will, although its range is somewhat dictated by the past. The nature of this freedom is symbolized in an image used by the early Buddhists: flowing water. Sometimes the flow from the past is so strong that little can be done except to stand fast, but there are also times when the flow is gentle enough to be diverted in almost any direction.
    But even though our present actions aren't necessarily determined by past actions, that doesn't mean that they're not conditioned by other factors. Conversely, if they are independent of any causes and conditions, then we're confronted with the possibility of a self or soul in the equation, a ghost in the machine called intention (cetana), which would seem to contradict teachings like SN 22.59 unless intention somehow lies outside of the aggregates.
    Also, just for reference, I find this sutta interesting in that it seems to show how certain wholesome mental factors (kusala cetasikas) condition certain wholesome qualities and experiences.
    I guess when it comes to free will I don't accept the libertarian view of free will but it seems to me that in the conditioned processes there has to be some freedom to move or how can we ever change our circumstance, isn't that the heart of Buddhism? In another recent post the question was asked, if the universe is beginingless how is it that we haven't already achieved enlightenment? In an infinite deterministic universe wouldn't the possibility of our having achieved enlightenment have had to have already happened at some point? compassionate_warrior brought up the point that humans don't necessarily behave by mathmatical probabilities and that would be why we haven't achieved enlightenment. If the universe is indeed beginingless and the fact is we haven't achieved enlightenment then wouldn't a purely deterministic world say that enlightenment being possible it must have happened at some point in infinity? Some kind of free will seems like a solution to this problem.

Without this basic, non-physical aspect of the mind we would be nothing more than organic computers with no self-awarness acting and reacting to internal and external phenomena without any chance for reflection and change.

You have to be so careful here that you dont smuggle in dualism as emmergnce. We can be nothing more than organic computers and yet live these amazing sentient lives, full of metta, dukka, karma and love.

To my, mind that is a part of the "middle of" the Middle path. I think somehow the buddha realsied what were were but found that true values emmerge and there is no need to head to the extream of nihilsm.
    I kind of understand what you're saying, in strong emergence (as opposed to weak emergence) they say that the new properties of the emergent phenomena aren't reducible to the individual constituents. So its not dualism really in that they aren't completely seperate phenomena but the qualities and characteristics of the strongly emergent system are more than just the sum of its parts.
  • I kind of understand what you're saying, in strong emergence (as opposed to weak emergence) they say that the new properties of the emergent phenomena aren't reducible to the individual constituents. So its not dualism really in that they aren't completely seperate phenomena but the qualities and characteristics of the strongly emergent system are more than just the sum of its parts.
    Maybe:) Emergence gives us something for nothing, something new that wasn't there before. But it is not a new ontological kind, it is merely new emergent properties.

I think the world is all physical, this does not mean there cannot be love, spirituality, fun, experience, dukka... and all these emergent properties.

namaste
    I guess when it comes to free will I don't accept the libertarian view of free will but it seems to me that in the conditioned processes there has to be some freedom to move or how can we ever change our circumstance, isn't that the heart of Buddhism? In another recent post the question was asked, if the universe is beginingless how is it that we haven't already achieved enlightenment? In an infinite deterministic universe wouldn't the possibility of our having achieved enlightenment have had to have already happened at some point? compassionate_warrior brought up the point that humans don't necessarily behave by mathmatical probabilities and that would be why we haven't achieved enlightenment. If the universe is indeed beginingless and the fact is we haven't achieved enlightenment then wouldn't a purely deterministic world say that enlightenment being possible it must have happened at some point in infinity? Some kind of free will seems like a solution to this problem.
    Could be. That's why I think you should keep on looking/thinking about it. Who knows, you may very well find a solution to one of the questions that have plagued humanity for countless centuries. As for myself, I'm mainly presenting my views as a way of playing devil's advocate since I find these kinds of discussions entertaining as well as stimulating. They really make you think.
    I've been meaning to ask some knowledgable monk or lama about emergent phenomena and emptiness. Most of the examples given on parts and wholes are pretty basic (like fingers and hands) and don't really cover this aspect. Like a computer screen has certain properties that are new, like being able to convey a discussion on the mind/brain, but where is that new phenomena outside of the parts of the computer screen? Its not in the parts, it doesn't exist outside of the parts, where is it? But it does exist in some way. Is this emergent phenomena the real object of negation in emptiness?
  • I've been meaning to ask some knowledgable monk or lama about emergent phenomena and emptiness. Most of the examples given on parts and wholes are pretty basic (like fingers and hands) and don't really cover this aspect. Like a computer screen has certain properties that are new, like being able to convey a discussion on the mind/brain, but where is that new phenomena outside of the parts of the computer screen? Its not in the parts, it doesn't exist outside of the parts, where is it? But it does exist in some way. Is this emergent phenomena the real object of negation in emptiness?
    You might like to try thinking about how properties emerge from simples. its really apt for dharma, especially "down at the bottom" with the three foundations. These can be seen to emerge from just 2 and three points/objects/things/

Your question "where is it?".... its there! Right there, arrisen from the way its parts are arranged. This is true of all emergent things, which is most things, hence emptiness:)

Take the property of "betweeness" this doesnt exist in just two things, but add a third thing and hey presto, betweeness enters the possibility space.

We havent added anything new, just more of the same, yet we get something new.

The skandic mind is made of the same stuff as a watermelon, yet one can love and the other can mearley taste yummy.

Ponder this if you care @person, and @jason too:

Could you, ignoring the trivial, rearrange a watermelon's atoms to make the Buddha's brain, and thus the Buddha's mind?

xx

• 'Seeing what drawback, then, is Master Gotama thus entirely dissociated from each of these ten positions?'

'Vaccha, the position that "the world is eternal" is a thicket of views, a wilderness of views, a contortion of views, a writhing of views, a fetter of views. It is accompanied by suffering, distress, despair, & fever, and it does not lead to disenchantment, dispassion, stopping; to calm, direct knowledge, self-awakening, Unbinding.

'The position that "the world is not eternal"... "the world is finite"... "the world is infinite"... "the soul is the same thing as the body"... "the soul is one thing and the body another"... "after death a Tathāgata exists"... "after death a Tathāgata does not exist"... "after death a Tathāgata both exists & does not exist"... "after death a Tathāgata neither exists nor does not exist"... does not lead to disenchantment, dispassion, stopping; to calm, direct knowledge, self-awakening, Unbinding.'

'Does Master Gotama have any position at all?'

'A "position," Vaccha, is something that a Tathāgata has done away with. What a Tathāgata sees is this: "Such is form, such its origin, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origin, such its disappearance; such is perception... such are fabrications... such is consciousness, such its origin, such its disappearance." Because of this, I say, a Tathāgata — with the ending, fading out, stopping, renunciation & relinquishing of all construings, all excogitations, all I-making & my-making & obsessions with conceit — is, through lack of sustenance/clinging, released.'

exerpt from Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta, MN 72 (Thanissaro translation)

... ah, peace is.