Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do you believe in gods?

edited August 2011 in Buddhism Basics
I am new to buddhism and was wondering how many of you believe in a form of deity and worship?
Or if not please give me your insight.

Comments

• aMattaMatt Veteran
    I don't believe or disbelieve in a god, and I don't invest thought in that direction.

In buddhism, it is generally said that using our mind to contemplate the unknowable is unhelpful. We don't need a deity to understand moral living, compassion and wisdom.

I said to some mormons recently that it doesn't matter to me if god exists or not, my days will still be full of humility, mindful action and helpful intent.

Belief is something the mind can set aside with practice.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited August 2011
    What he said ^^^^^^

Also, I don't "worship" anything or anyone (well, Penelope Cruz might come close, but that's another story)...
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    @anthony -- Buddhism is largely an exercise in getting over our notions about something else. With close attention and some determination, our practice points out that the distinctions we make -- between god and man, boy and girl, tall and short, happy and sad, wise and deluded, holy and unholy, important and unimportant -- are tentative descriptions ... useful in their time, but not true over time.

So, for my money, all practicing Buddhists begin with one sort of god or another ... a 'something else' towards which they may strive and in which they may believe. "Enlightenment," "compassion," "clarity," "emptiness," ... and maybe even a date with Penelope Cruz. But with the application of attention and the exercise of responsibility, the something-else's (the gods and devils) drift away like wood smoke from a camp fire.
  • Simple answer, yes, I believe the devas are actual living creatures. Not that I have any idea how they exist or in what form. I imagine that whatever they are, they aren't much different from any other living thing. You know ... old age and death.
  • IMO they do exist...Because believing that only humans and animals exist doesn't make any sense to me. All these galaxies, stars, paralel universes indicate higher level of consciousness and forces. I believe in the hierarchy. There is hierarchy even in our worldly nature and so why shouldn't be hierarchy at the cosmic scale.. Gods and higher conscious beings exist and we all create this reality with our collective consciousness.
  • That's a cool perspective, zen_world. I've never heard anyone express it that way. Food for thought. : )

I don't believe in a deity, but the Buddha did. He didn't teach that, but having been raised in a Hindu culture, he believed in those gods. I've seen that come up on this forum a couple of times.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    Nope. I believe only in what I observe.
  • Nope. I believe only in what I observe.
    ... you could be agreeing with zen_world :) :thumbup:
  • Let's solve the question of whether or not the self exists first.
  • wouldn't that depend on who is asking?
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Yes, I believe in God, but have an open mind about it.
  • Of course, there are many devas/gods in the celestial realms.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Devas are just human beings with supernormal abilities, like clairvoyence, etc

As the Buddha taught, there are many devas/gods in the "celestial realms" (the various jhanas)...(see MN 1)

:)
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited August 2011
    I saw something that I still half believe was a deva.

Makes we realize it's impossible for me to believe in God.

I do believe that other people saw it 100%.

I just half believe it cuz I've taken drugs before and stuff.

I also believed I had powers like that for some reason, and some mormon guy said I was in the celestial kingdom

A told a psychologist a little bit about it and he suggested maybe the perception I saw was myself.

goodnight everybody! thats enough of the religion universe for me tongiht.
  • Devas are just human beings with supernormal abilities, like clairvoyence, etc

As the Buddha taught, there are many devas/gods in the "celestial realms" (the various jhanas)...(see MN 1)

:)
    How is it that you can believe in clairvoyence but not in literal devas? There are plenty of instances where the Buddha is referred to as the teacher of both celestials and men. What celestials is he teaching while absorbed in the Jhanas? If he was referring to men he would call them men not gods or devas or celestials.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Of course, there are many devas/gods in the celestial realms.
    Of course????? You've seen them and interacted with them personally?

• @cosmicyogisattva

Through what sense media did you witness such a being?
  • peripheral insight
  • peripheral insight
    What is peripheral insight?
  • Not in god(s) as commonly thought of. My beliefs would be closer to the kami in Shinto. (I draw alot/most of my beliefs from Shinto)
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    There are many other beings then human, But they are all trapped in Samsara. Gods live for a very long time but they are still subject to death and rebirth.
  • that was more how i would describe the orientation.. i didn't know what you meant when you asked what sense media the presence was experienced through.. it was reality as anyone would comprehend in daily life.. except i was in deep meditation & after many hours of insight i reached a point of timelessness because , well , there was nothing really left for me to think about so the peace seemed to expand to infinity which i would descrive as timelessness & really it did seem like an eternity in that session - of course i knew it wasn't but that's how it felt, & then at one point I opened my eyes I think to prevent myself from falling asleep & to my surprise I was sitting next to a bodhisattva floating just to my right less than 2 meters away.. slightly above the ground but in lotus position.. i did not feel a need to move from my position to confirm it was real, I just knew & could see clearly this being in my peripheral vision & when i closed my eyes again i felt the loving presence more deeply & could turn my minds eye toward this being & saw it had no form.. it was almost invisible, this was at night in a forest by a fire so as you see glass only by the light that shines through it, this is similar to how he appeared by in real vision and closed eye vision... nothing was spoken in words between us, there was just an deep peaceful unity between us. nothing needed to be spoken, the understanding was enough... infinite compassion.
  • @cosmicyogisattva

So that's eye-consciousness and intellect-consciousness. That is very very interesting (if it's true.) How do you know it was a bodhisattva?

Also, my original question was rhetorical. It was meant to make you think.
  • Yes, that's why I gave that response, it was the experience of a presence like any other presence... you know someone is next to you both when you see them with open eyes & the presence in a more spiritual sense of knowing they have not left you if you close your eyes... this being had more than one head, three or 4, and the aura was humbling to my core, very warm compassion, so i assumed it was a bodhisattva, but i don't know, i am very ignorant about the scriptural terminology / definitions.
  • not warm because of the fire, that is heat, im speaking of a different kind of warmth, a loving warmth.
  • Of course, there are many devas/gods in the celestial realms.
    Of course????? You've seen them and interacted with them personally?

youtube.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited August 2011
    How is it that you can believe in clairvoyence but not in literal devas? There are plenty of instances where the Buddha is referred to as the teacher of both celestials and men. What celestials is he teaching while absorbed in the Jhanas? If he was referring to men he would call them men not gods or devas or celestials.
    Celestials are as I described and also other. Not all devas have supernormal power. Some celestials are compassionate beings and others rich & powerful.

The suttas state Buddha could communicate via mind power. But the suttas do not necessarily state celestials are living in the clouds, etc.

The following video gives instruction on how to develop supernormal power.

Regards :)

• Yes, that's why I gave that response, it was the experience of a presence like any other presence... you know someone is next to you both when you see them with open eyes & the presence in a more spiritual sense of knowing they have not left you if you close your eyes... this being had more than one head, three or 4, and the aura was humbling to my core, very warm compassion, so i assumed it was a bodhisattva, but i don't know, i am very ignorant about the scriptural terminology / definitions.
    Have you ever heard of Carl Jung? I recommend you reading his theories abour archetypes and physchology of unconsciousness. I am not suggesting what you experienced is not real but Carl Jung may point another angle to look at into your mystical experiences...
  • well as far as i am aware about his work, he believed in the collective subconsciousness...
    this could be an angle, maybe.

I wouldn't like to use these theories to taint how I experienced the presence. I was developing deep compassion, & it must have resonated on another plane of our cosmos enough to be noticed by this being who paid me a visit :) That's how I see it. We are all connected, yes :)
  • The nimittas.... becareful of how you use them or it'll be the other way round.
  • Celestials are as I described and also other. Not all devas have supernormal power. Some celestials are compassionate beings and others rich & powerful.

The suttas state Buddha could communicate via mind power. But the suttas do not necessarily state celestials are living in the clouds, etc.

The following video gives instruction on how to develop supernormal power.

Regards :)
    I agree that there is no reason to believe that celestials are in some mythical abode similar to the Christian idea of the heavens or that they need to appear or interact with their environment in ways at all similar to men and animals (in fact I would assume that they do things quite different from us.) I don't have internet at home and use this site while at work so I can't watch the video yet, but I look forward to seeing it once I get a chance.
  • In Buddha is pure emotiness if anything there than it must be pollutant including GODS
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    In Buddha is pure emotiness...
    :):lol: :clap: :bowdown: :om: :wave: ;)
  • I just want to let you know that I have been floating around reading these posts and it helps me out a lot to know exactly what everyone sees to be true. I am beginning my journey as someone who is interested in the beauty of Buddhism but still have a lot to learn. Thanks for the insight
  • Celestial beings are sentient beings who reached the heavenly realm due to their heavily cultivated good merits. Not to mention many are Dharma protectors. Hence it doesn't seem wise to look at them with arrogance.

You diss santa claus after he just gave you the brand new xbox?!
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited August 2011
    i believe in brahmas, devas, pretas and asuras... all mortal.
  • I believe in having "peaceful" spirituality. Ancient beliefs served a purpose for ancient people and from that human beings have a least become more peaceful and civilized. There is really no need to look and compare the different types of religion, faith, and beliefs from now and then, whenever, or whatever in my opinion. They all have been useful and served us well. It doesn't really matter what you believe, if it gives you a satisfying feeling that you were looking for then that is great, and as long as you are not interfering or harming others in your practice, you should be free to believe what you wish.

peace

• When it comes to god(s)/God, I really don't know what I believe. I guess I will know much later, eh? Whether by experience in this world or in death.
  • No, for the same reason I don't believe in unicorns.
  • God is a form of energy... the energy that exists in all things. Eternity!
  • edited August 2011
    Yes I do God/Gods. It would take a rather big ego to think otherwise.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    I believe that people believe. ;) The reasons are what is important; to free ourselves of our ignorance and suffering, we must shatter our preconceptions and get to the heart of our direct experiences. To the heart... of the mind.
  • No, for the same reason I don't believe in unicorns.
    you don't believe in corned animals that losed one corn? // "corn" = horn
  • The Gods and Goddesses are deepened with awareness here, but, our use of the term gods and goddess is not used within the same context as many other mainstream religions would use the term. To us they are secret and their names are never spoken of outside of hallowed space.

However, we do not subscribe to a one Creator God either. Each god and goddess is each their own life force. Procreation is accomplished by the aid of each other. Their match is based on the simple attributes of dual polarity. We see Gods and Goddesses as masculine and feminine principles in all matter and existence as pro-creators not creators. No creator created them but the growing space between; but, it bodes well to stop there.

Deep Respect
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited August 2011
    I believe in kami/deva not in western deities; however... if Quetzalcoatl and Odin happen to come to this Earth for a visit, I will (then) believe (and act accordingly... that is, using the DharmaChakra as defense in case of attack... and Fraenthir to slay 'em).
  • I believe this question was presented to the Buddha, and the Buddha did not answer and continued in meditative bliss. My belief is that this is a none issue in a Buddhist practice, since it's about searching within and not without, for we are our own true saviors.
  • Yes, I do believe in a deity. I am a panentheist--I believe God pervades the entire universe, including all beings, but is also transcendent to it.
  • I believe this question was presented to the Buddha, and the Buddha did not answer and continued in meditative bliss. My belief is that this is a none issue in a Buddhist practice, since it's about searching within and not without, for we are our own true saviors.
    sutric reference missing.