Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Things that really tick you off

XraymanXrayman Veteran
edited March 2006 in Buddhism Today
I find that since working on myself (from a buddhist perspective), I am more tolerant and peaceful in general-I think many of you might have similar feelings.

However, some things continue to tick me off...see below.

Bad drivers
Body abusers (too fat, too thin etc.-to much plastic surgery etc.)
People that think they know everything (present company excepted, all at NewBuddhist! of course)
People who think they know nothing-yet when you talk to them they are a Font of information (yes Font is a word).
People that create lists-whoops! *blush*

Is this because we are attached to "things that tick us off"?
or, am I just human?

regards,
Richard.

:rant:

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    Injustice (when somebody is blatantly wrong)
    Parents who still think it's OK to hit their kids - especially in Publc
    Road-rage
    Liars
    Hypocrites
    Profane swearing. To me, it's unnecessary... can't people articulate sensibly without resorting to "*@#!!¤+>??*!!"....?
    Bacon-flavour crisps.

I really, really hate them!
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    yea I prefer to hit mine in the comfort of my own home.

Yes Road-Rage, (unless it's me that's doing it) and Hypocrites-yes definitely them!

regards

Richard
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited February 2006
    With me, it's the general lack of consideration for others, or mindfulness of their surroundings that gets to me. The manifold situations in which a little manners or courtesy would completely avoid the ensuing clash of egos, or where people blunder aimlessly on, expecting the world to part, like the Red Sea before Moses, to let them through. I'm constantly reminded of Gurdjieff's remark that people are forever sleepwalking through life...
  • edited February 2006
    Great question, Xrayman. I am often wondering the same things. I feel that most people in this world are on "auto pilot" as I like to call it. Just sort of wandering aimlessly, not really thinking about what they are doing. Which usually leads to not caring about themselves, or others, and just a general disrespect for themselves and others. I get frustrated when people don't take care of themselves - especially people with children. I lost my dad when I was 17 years old because of heart disease, and it frustrates me that he didn't take better care of himself so that he could stick around a bit longer. So....I share the same frustrations as you, and I think it is just part of being human. Rather than having these things tick me off, I am working on trying to understand a bit more about why someone might be the way he or she is, rather than just calling someone that is overweight "lazy".

Has anyone on here seen the movie "Crash"? I highly recommend it. It is up for a best picture award this year. It really makes you realize that there is a lot more to people than what you first see!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Injustice.
    People, that we have elected to judge, judging unfairly or with bias.
    Uncontrolled anger
    Lying with the intent to hurt.
    Speaking with the intent to hurt
    Acting with the intent to hurt.

And I detest physical abuse/violence.

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    Bad manners, just that.

People who don't hold the door for you when they know you are right behind them.
    People who don't say thank you when you hold the door for them.
    People who try to knock pedestrians down on crossings.
    People who talk over other people in the middle of a sentence.

It takes very little effort to behave courteously and is nothing to do with breeding or money - it's just having a little regard for the folks around you.
  • edited February 2006
    Knitwitch wrote:
    It takes very little effort to behave courteously and is nothing to do with breeding or money - it's just having a little regard for the folks around you.

Indeed, money can't buy class. That's one thing that really gets my goat, people who think they have a right to everything just because they've got a bit of money.
    Not that I'm at all bitter about it at all.........:mean:

:D
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Dear Knitwitch,

I have to admit that I have spoken over people before-and sometimes forget myself-It's rude and ticks others around me right off! *blush* I'm working on it though I really am..

regards,
    Me.
  • edited February 2006
    Xrayman wrote:
    Dear Knitwitch,

I have to admit that I have spoken over people before-and sometimes forget myself-It's rude and ticks others around me right off! *blush* I'm working on it though I really am..

regards,
    Me.

That's OK Xrayman - you didn't do it in my company, which is the one that really ticks me off - but you DID call my blancmange an alligator .... didn't you?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    "COURTESY: A form of Polite behaviour, practised by Civilised people when they can be bothered to find the time."

A smile costs nothing, and is the most universally recognised instant form of communication in the world.

Courtesy is also free of charge, and at the disposal of everyone. Take all you want - but use it just as much.

:)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Bullying. Un point, c'st tout.
  • edited February 2006
    1. Abusing children.
    2. Roadkill.
  • edited February 2006
    Add to my list:

People that do not understand that my toddler has a bedtime and a naptime. It's the same time, every single day...yet, these people continue to invite her and I places that are either too late at night, or during naptime, and then they get irritated with me for saying "Nope, sorry...we can't make it". And they look at me like I am crazy for not messing with her schedule!
    edited February 2006
    Honestly, kids, huh? They just cramp yer style... put her in a low oven (Regulo 3, gas mark 6, 200° - half an hour)... Problem solved!! Never miss a party again!! :lol:

What the heck do they expect you to do with her?!?
    edited February 2006
    I think Yoda is "really" upset because it also cuts into "her" naptime.

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    Honestly, kids, huh? They just cramp yer style... put her in a low oven (Regulo 3, gas mark 6, 200° - half an hour)... Problem solved!! Never miss a party again!!

Children! You gotta lovem, but it's bloody hard to eat a whole one.
  • edited February 2006
    federica wrote:
    Honestly, kids, huh? They just cramp yer style... put her in a low oven (Regulo 3, gas mark 6, 200° - half an hour)... Problem solved!! Never miss a party again!! :lol:

What the heck do they expect you to do with her?!?

LOL! I guess they just expect her to adjust to MY schedule and to be able to stay up past her regular bedtime or just miss her naps so that I can have fun. Sorry...that's not my style of parenting!

Maybe I'll just leave her home alone next time. :rolleyesc

BF - and yes, you are somewhat correct. I LOVE to nap with my daughter as often as possible! It's my favorite time of the day!
  • edited February 2006
    kowtaaia wrote:

Children! You gotta lovem, but it's bloody hard to eat a whole one.

PMPL - at last, someone who feels the same!
  • edited February 2006
    Knitwitch wrote:
    PMPL - at last, someone who feels the same!

It wouldn't be so bad, if they kept well in the fridge.
  • edited February 2006
    PMPL = ?
  • edited February 2006
    Yea, I was wondering what that meant too!
    edited February 2006
    peeing My Pants Laughing
  • edited February 2006
    Actually, I feel about kids the same way other people feel about my dogs - wouldn't have one of my own but wouldn't be unkind to someone else's.

But it does rather pee me off (especially over here) where parents seem to feel that everyone has GOT TO adore their wee monsters and expect other adults to put up with any amount of disruption and inconvenience under the umbrella heading of "Oh but he's only a little one"

This excuses all behaviour up to and including their small in a restaurant trying to shove chips up my nose. Parents thought it was hilarious until I bit him.
  • edited February 2006
    Now we know. Thanks Fed.
  • edited February 2006
    Knitwitch wrote:

This excuses all behaviour up to and including their small in a restaurant trying to shove chips up my nose. Parents thought it was hilarious until I bit him.

LOL!!! I don't expect people to put up with my daughter if she is misbehaving. Instead, I correct her behavior, so I guess that means you would ADORE my daughter!! :) JK....I don't expect everyone to adreo her as much as me and my hubby do, but....to know her is to love her! :)

I mean, really...how could you NOT love this little face???
  • edited February 2006
    Easily ........no, no , sorry I'm joking. Forgive me I couldn't resist that.

She's lovely - I'll put some of my own babies' up soon.
  • edited February 2006
    She looks delicious.
    edited February 2006
    You're rotten, kow. :)

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    Knitwitch - I promise not to let her shove chips up your nose. Maybe I'll let her shove a pencil in your ear or something, but definitely not chips up your nose.
  • edited February 2006
    Knitwitch,

So, is it safe to say that that wasn't a costume you were wearing in the 'NewBuddhist Members Picture Thread'? :)
  • edited February 2006
    Ha ha ha ha - I read that as "You rotten cow " and assumed you were talking to me!
  • edited February 2006
    kowtaaia wrote:
    Knitwitch,

So is it safe to say that that wasn't a costume you were wearing in the 'NewBuddhist Members Picture Thread'? :)

Only if you define a policeman's uniform as a costume!
  • edited February 2006
    We WERE talking to you. Buddhafoot just isn't a very good speller!
  • edited February 2006

LOL

edit: this is all happening so fast
    edited February 2006
    Knitwitch wrote:
    Ha ha ha ha - I read that as "You rotten cow " and assumed you were talking to me!

No.... no, no.

I mean, I'm

Crude
    Tactless
    Sophomoric
    Disgusting
    Thick

but I would never say that about you, Knit.

That statement really could get a person in trouble. :)

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    Knitwitch - I promise not to let her shove chips up your nose. Maybe I'll let her shove a pencil in your ear or something, but definitely not chips up your nose.

That would be so appreciated YogaMama - you're so kind.
    edited February 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    We WERE talking to you. Buddhafoot just isn't a very good speller!

But I'm getting gooder!

-bf
    edited February 2006
    Knitwitch wrote:

That sounds HOT.

I've been bad, Officer Ma'am....

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    No.... no, no.

I mean, I'm

Crude
    Tactless
    Sophomoric
    Disgusting
    Thick

but I would never say that about you, Knit.

That statement really could get a person in trouble. :)

-bf

I'm not bothered, lovie - I been called much worse than that!

And as far as uniforms go - I'd be more scared of me in the one on this forum than in a police one!
  • edited February 2006
    Oh...I have seen that picture of you! I better watch myself, huh??? Do you warn people before casting any spells?? ;)
    edited February 2006
    Naw....

Spice is nice.

One time you could dress up as a witch and I could dress up as a snake in a vest rolling a giant doughnut down the street.
    Next time you could be policeperson and I could dress up in a giant chicken suit.
    The next time you could be a genie you know and I could be President Gorbechev...

You get the picture...

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Naw....

I could dress up as a snake in a vest rolling a giant doughnut down the street.

-bf

You are a quack!
  • edited February 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    Oh...I have seen that picture of you! I better watch myself, huh??? Do you warn people before casting any spells?? ;)

I'm a boring witch - I only do healing. Yaaaaaaaaawn!
  • edited February 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Naw....

Spice is nice.

One time you could dress up as a witch and I could dress up as a snake in a vest rolling a giant doughnut down the street.
    Next time you could be policeperson and I could dress up in a giant chicken suit.
    The next time you could be a genie you know and I could be President Gorbechev...

You get the picture...

-bf

On second thoughts, I might know some transformation spells. Ever fancied living in a pond BF?
  • edited February 2006
    LOL Knitwitch! I only made that comment about the spells because I think it is funny when someone hears another person is Pagan, so they think they just cast evil spells on people. If you don't mind me asking...you are Pagan, correct?
  • edited February 2006
    Oh wait...is that Wiccan??
  • edited February 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Naw....

Spice is nice.

You get the picture...

-bf

So, you have unlimited access to computers at the asylum?
    edited February 2006
    No, Yogamama,.....she's Wigan.... A suburb of the city of Manchester, UK.... nice place, Wigan... :lol:
  • edited February 2006
    I'm pagan YogaMama - Celtic variety and now a solo practitioner due to geography but originally trained and ordained in Gardnerian Wicca.
  • edited February 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    LOL Knitwitch! I only made that comment about the spells because I think it is funny when someone hears another person is Pagan, so they think they just cast evil spells on people. If you don't mind me asking...you are Pagan, correct?

I don't mind in the slightest YM - that's what we're all here for to ask and answer. Sort of theological Show and Tell.

And yes, it is hilarious - I don't barge in saying "Hello my name's Raven and I'm a witch." But when it does come up in conversation and people start going "Oh go on then turn me into a toad" I do feel like saying "Don't blooming tempt me Sunshine". I usually say "Why do you so want to be one?"

But on the whole most people take an intelligent interest and ask interesting questions. So I get to explain what I REALLY do.