Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Things that really tick you off

Comments

• edited February 2006
    Yeah! Somebody tell me what IMO and IMHO means. It's making me crazy!
  • edited February 2006
    IMO = In My OPinoin, and I am not sure what the H stands for in IMHO.

Thanks for the definition, Brigid!! :)
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2006
    In My Humble Opinion.

-bf

P.S. I think these started out in the early years of geekdom with RTFM!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    Padawan wrote:
    The patois thing reminds me of another pet peeve- folks who join online forums and waste everyones' time by typing in SMS text speak. U cn wst hrs n hrs of time tryin 2 d-cifr wot they r tlkn abt. :scratch: I can only surmise that they haven't yet realised that they have a full QWERTY keyboard on their computer...

And schools are experiencing real problems in trying to make sense of homework essays turned in by kids of all ages, because it's the only way they know how to communicate - !!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Hey, BF,

What does RTFM stand for?

Brigid
    edited February 2006
    Back in the "old days" of computers - a lot of things were accomplished by command line interfaces. It was typical, of some people, to waste your time asking how to do something (over and over and over) instead of looking it up themselves or trying to remember what you told them the first time.

Hence, after a multiple times of a person asking you the same question over and over - you would just say RTFM...

Read The F***ing Manual!

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Oooohh! That's a good one. I've worked with people who did that. I'm being nasty, I know, but when they're leaning on you for a good portion of the day, you get so tired you really do wish you could just come out and say that to them. I'm trying to think of a more skillful way to do this. Probably "You'll remember the instructions better if you read them rather than if I repeat them to you. And I'm getting tired."
    I love Buddhism. I love how boring it can be. LOL!

Thanks, BF.

Brigid
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2006
    re Patois:

As one brought up by the French, I know that patois refers to any form of slang/jargon/dialect French which is not Parisian.

The word has been abducted by creole speakers.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    I think a good many French Canadians might disagree with you on that one, Simon. In fact, there is a strong belief in French Canada that their form of French is actually more pure than that of the Parisians, partly owing to the isolation of French farmers in Quebec from English speakers, unlike the Parisians. There is a specific Quebecois dialect, the name of which escapes me at the moment, which is a original to Quebec alone. But when it comes to the international language of French I don't think a single French Canadian could ever be convinced that they speak a patois. You'll never hear the words "drugstore", "pullover", "toast" etc. in a French Canadian house although they are in common usage in Paris. Perhaps it's the Parisians I disagree with. LOL

Brigid
    edited February 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    I think a good many French Canadians might disagree with you on that one, Simon. In fact, there is a strong belief in French Canada that their form of French is actually more pure than that of the Parisians, partly owing to the isolation of French farmers in Quebec from English speakers, unlike the Parisians. There is a specific Quebecois dialect, the name of which escapes me at the moment, which is a original to Quebec alone. But when it comes to the international language of French I don't think a single French Canadian could ever be convinced that they speak a patois. You'll never hear the words "drugstore", "pullover", "toast" etc. in a French Canadian house although they are in common usage in Paris. Perhaps it's the Parisians I disagree with. LOL

Brigid

Having been brought up in Normandy, speaking the patois of the Pays de Caux alongside 'standard' French, and then having lived in Paris for a number of years, I am well aware of the arrogance that appears to be built in to the French attitude to the language. In particular, Canadian French and Haitian French, both of which pretend to 'purity' (whatever that means about a language), are despised by the metropolitans. I find it really funny that French-speakers on both sides of the Atlantic still argue over whether the Eastern or the Western variant is "authentic".

Perhaps the Nation of Quebec should set up its own Academy to rival Voltaire's old nest!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    The English are just as bad.... and dare I say it, my dear father is worse than most! I cannot talk to him, ever, on the 'phone (sorry, TELEphone!) without him at least once correcting either my grammar or my pronunciation.... I have a lot to thank him for... But it grates on my nerves when he keeps saying, 'That's another awful americanism!'
    ooooh, he's so......stuffy and snobbish!

But I love him. :)
    edited February 2006
    federica wrote:
    The English are just as bad.... and dare I say it, my dear father is worse than most! I cannot talk to him, ever, on the 'phone (sorry, TELEphone!) without him at least once correcting either my grammar or my pronunciation.... I have a lot to thank him for... But it grates on my nerves when he keeps saying, 'That's another awful americanism!'

You might enjoy this site, Fede, particularly the clip of dear old Betjeman:

Routes of English
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    federica wrote:

Fede,
    My father's the same way! It can get awfully petty at times, and he also dislikes americanisms. I love him but it still drives me to distraction! LOL! He laments the "loss" of the English language and I celebrate the ever evolving nature of language. Over the years we've arrived at a comfortable compromise, until he gets that overwhelming urge of his to be right. :rant:

:lol:

Brigid
    edited February 2006
    Aren't dads just the limit - ??

And why DO they have to be right all the time? Seems like a 'generation' thing....

Nick's dad is the same... he'll argue a point until he's blue in the face, but would rather die before admitting he's made a cock-up...!! :lol:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    I've been working on my dad for years over this. I've even, horrors, detected a slight competitiveness in him when it comes to me and some of our discussions. But I think what he's doing is holding on for dear life to his idea of his role as father and intellectual leader of the family. He used to keep us at the dinner table for hours pontificating on some obscure historical point (usually about the Jacobites or Highland anything) refusing to let us excuse ourselves. It was maddening. But I did end up majoring in history later. Don't know if this was because of in spite of those extremely tedious lectures. Now we love talking history together for hours. Don't ask me how THAT happened! LOL It all came out on the wash, just like my mother said it would.

You know what used to REALLY kill me? When he would give me advice, I willfully wouldn't follow and he ended up being right. Now THAT drove me nuts!! LOL! I couldn't believe my father could possibly know more than I did when I was seventeen. LOL!

Brigid
  • edited February 2006
    federica wrote:
    Aren't dads just the limit - ??

And why DO they have to be right all the time? Seems like a 'generation' thing....

Nick's dad is the same... he'll argue a point until he's blue in the face, but would rather die before admitting he's made a cock-up...!! :lol:

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin: You noticed????
    edited February 2006
    ooops... I didn't expect you to be back so soon.....:o :D

But you know what I mean - ! ;)
  • edited February 2006
    federica wrote:
    ooops... I didn't expect you to be back so soon.....:o :D

But you know what I mean - ! ;)

:wow: I only have to say I won't be around so much! What? You thought I'd disagree ???? :winkc: Not exactly Right Speech, would it be?

OK - off again - carry on. :tongue2:
  • edited February 2006
    While we're talking about grammar and linguistics, I would like to say that America has butchered English (with the exception of the Bostonians), and I am guilty of a minor Southern accent. I hope it will subside.

Good day. :)
    edited February 2006
    I loved the one in 'Frazier' when a shop assistant came out with the automatic
    'Have a nice day!'
    and he slowly turned at the door, and said -
    'Thank you - but I have other plans.'

Oliver Reed got a dose of the same once - and before he could reply to the "have a nice day!" bit, the shop-girl quipped with the follow-through -
    "Missing you already!"

He came back to her, and got so close to her his nose almost touched hers, and he whispered...
    "you obviously have no idea who I am......"

:lol::lol:
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Another thing that really ticks me off is when groups of people will insist on playing those horrendous MP3 mobile phone things at full blast on public transport, without using any earphones or having any form of regard for their fellow passengers. I wouldn't mind so much if what was being played actually passed for music, instead of the incessant racist, homophobic, sexist nose pollution that I believe is referred to as Gangsta rap. I may be wrong, but much of the genre seems to centre around various amounts of thump noises, while the lyrics seem to concentrate on just how many shiny objects the artist has, how many women he's recently fornicated with, the name of his record company, how he was brought up through the death of everyone around him and last but not least, his own name, several times. :grumble:

I'm obsessing about this, you can tell, can't you! :lol:
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Padawan,
    We expect people to exert some sort of "control" over their children in public spaces and we rather expect folks to cover up their bodies in some sort of decent way and to act civilly towards the public (including controlling the sounds coming from out their throats). We also expect people won't be using their jack-hammers and cans of hairspray on a crowded subway car, simply because they "own" such and can, therefore, use them as they see fit. &c, &c. But perhaps it would be considered by some people to be "racist" or "elitist" to challenge such thoughtless and intrusive behaviour on a subway car?

It's all so very RUDE, and makes you wanna scream. Imagine making those sounds and gestures back in 1913. They'd have been "certified."

NOTE FOR AMERICANS: "certified" means you've been committed to an insane asylum.

"I've noticed NB logging me out sometimes - but not at others. Don't know why that is.

I just use it for a lesson - things are sometimes what they seem - and at other times... not.

Just think of being 'logged in' as another sign of impermanence..."

-buddhafoot
  • edited March 2006
    Noise pollution? Oh don't get me started ... and it doesn't have to be electronic or machine-produced. I came across a 100% bio-noise-pollutant. A Non-Listener.

This woman talked non-stop at a rate that would leave the average high speed train standing still, asked questions then answered them herself (wrongly as it happens) corrected herself, then launched into something from her own life that vaguely connected with the question she had originally asked. The other person in this situation was taking as much part as the hatstand conversationally.

If you come across one of these apparati - take a few mindful breaths and smile. Under no circumstances say anything but smile encouragingly. Keep smiling (this can take a while) and eventually they will run out of steam (or the key will wind down, depending on the age of the model). Don't try to participate, this is not what they require.

• PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I've met more than my fair share of non-listeners! :grr: Don't you just love it when they thank you afterwards for such a nice conversation? Hello- who's been doing all the talking??? :lol:
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Padawan wrote:
    Another thing that really ticks me off is when groups of people will insist on playing those horrendous MP3 mobile phone things at full blast on public transport, without using any earphones or having any form of regard for their fellow passengers. I wouldn't mind so much if what was being played actually passed for music, instead of the incessant racist, homophobic, sexist nose pollution that I believe is referred to as Gangsta rap. I may be wrong, but much of the genre seems to centre around various amounts of thump noises, while the lyrics seem to concentrate on just how many shiny objects the artist has, how many women he's recently fornicated with, the name of his record company, how he was brought up through the death of everyone around him and last but not least, his own name, several times. :grumble:

I'm obsessing about this, you can tell, can't you! :lol:

I think you are jealous because you have no BLING, MUTHA.

PEACE OUT.:eek2:

:thumbsup: regards,
    Richard
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Xrayman wrote:
    I think you are jealous because you have no BLING, MUTHA.

PEACE OUT.:eek2:

:thumbsup: regards,
    Richard

Booyakasha, Xrayman! RESPEC' !:rockon: :lol::lol:
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    good one MON!

yo.
    peace Bro.

regards,
    X
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited March 2006
    How did I miss this one?

I hate when people think they have a fount of wisdom, not a font. Misspelled words drive me nuts.
    People who don't treat others with respect no matter what they look like.
    Abusive people whether it be to adults or children.
    Families who want to keep their loved ones alive for selfish reasons.
    Doctors who think nurses are their hand maidens.
    Nurses who are lazy! ( I AM DEFINITELY NOT ONE!)
    But most of all, just inconsideration. This is one I work on in myself also. I can be terribly thoughtless at times. But then most of the time I think too much of others and not enough of myself.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    You know, When I started this thread I thought it was just my selfish, arrogant and angry ego that caused me to write how/why things tick me off, but I'm seeing that 129 posts later, I'm not the only Buddhist who gets p***ed off over mundane things!

WooHoo,

Oh, and please add Jerbear to my list of good friends!
    Kind Regards to all of you,
    Xray
    edited March 2006
    Jerbear wrote:
    How did I miss this one?

I hate when people think they have a fount of wisdom, not a font. Misspelled words drive me nuts.

I just had to have a good long look through this thread, because funnily enough, I pulled Xrayman up about this one some time ago...Must have been in another thread though... Are you following us, Jerbear....? :grin:
    Both are used in the UK.... and sometimes you'll have to forgive my 'misspelt youth' because I use the spelling as used across the Pond,

But I know what you mean....!

I had cause, many years ago, to be helping the Manager of a Store I used to work in, to go through some of the job application letters he had received... ones worth keeping on file, others to discard....
    the apalling level of English, Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling were simply extraordinary.... and not a little frightening.... these were not only applications sent in by recent young school leavers, but some were from mature adults, whom had already held posts of some responsibility elsewhere....!
    Either the education system leaves a lot to be desired, or there are simply some who will not learn....

And before anyone leaps off the wardrobe onto me for a wrestle... I am aware that there is a significant proportion of people who suffer from what are now termed as "learning difficulties" such as dyslexia, (I did participate in the education system in the UK, for a significant period of time) but I am of the opinion that an awful lot of people who put that forward as a legitimate reason, are simply hiding their academic laziness behind it as an excuse.... Schools have experts who are able to evaluate pupils in this way. The genuine number is lower than one might imagine....

So if you like, to demonstrate that I am not going off-topic - I find it offensive when some people decide to hide their "inadequacies" behind an ailment, affliction or condition, in order to mask their simple laziness and reluctance to apply themselves.This makes idiots of them, and belittles the serious problems genuine sufferers have to deal with.

Thank you.
    (Boy, that was quite a rant for me, wasn't it....?)
  • edited March 2006
    Right on! One particular acquaintance of mine claims to have some vague, undiagnosed handicap which doesn't prevent him doing anything he finds pleasurable but raises its head when he is asked to do something he may find a) difficult or b) boring.

To the point, get this, that when I asked him to do something he didn't want to do, his whole posture and walk changed. He started to move around like a spastic .... and no I am not using the word perjoratively, I just can't remember the PC word for it these days.

He hadn't even realised this until the Old Feller and I said "Washing up, please dear" and then both went into a Quasimodo walk around the kitchen. He had the grace to blush.

Big funny, BUT this does nothing for getting the help and sympathy that genuinely handicapped people deserve.
  • edited March 2006
    Have to agree with you there!

Peace
  • edited March 2006
    Thing that annoy me ... posts that don't show where I want them to. :-)
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Here's one (that I've just discovered), People who can write many articles etc. to the NewBuddhist home page, because they have some "connection" to the owners/moderators of the site....

mmmm some people have at least ten such posts!!

Interesting. I think one could refer to the whole scam as "Insider Trading"...

sound familiar? and you know who you are. teehee!

regards,
    Xrayman
    edited March 2006
    Xrayman wrote:
    Here's one (that I've just discovered), People who can write many articles etc. to the NewBuddhist home page, because they have some "connection" to the owners/moderators of the site....

mmmm some people have at least ten such posts!!

Interesting. I think one could refer to the whole scam as "Insider Trading"...

sound familiar? and you know who you are. teehee!

regards,
    Xrayman

You know what ticks me off?

There is one person that writes most of the front page articles - and THEY'RE ALL CRAP!

I mean, get someone that can actually write something INTERESTING!

-bf
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    mmm Bullseye!

That hit the intended target!

regards,
    Xrayman

P.S. Now that I've just received my Writer's Certificate last night-perhaps I might find someone who's capable *wink wink*
    edited March 2006
    Kind of hard for YOU to miss the target when you're swinging at my head with a bludgeon!

-bf
    edited March 2006
    Xrayman wrote:

P.S. Now that I've just received my Writer's Certificate last night-perhaps I might find someone who's capable *wink wink*

So when are you going to start writing for Penthouse? :)

-bf
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Umm This has been a topic of discussion between my wife and I, Ah, let's just say my good friend, that's not going to happen.

Oh, and if that's a dig at the poor writing style of Penthouse writers and the magazine content itself-then *blows raspberry* to you. hahaha

Xrayman
    edited March 2006
    :)

-bf
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    besides, BF.

I'd only write for Penthouse, "For the Articles"

Xrayman
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Penthouse ticks me off.
  • edited March 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    Penthouse ticks me off.

Why? Its women getting paid to support some men's addiction. Get one hand free lads!!:rockon:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    That's half my point, Esau. It's the exploitation of both sexes, and sex in general, that ticks me off. Anyway I look at it, it's sad.

Brigid
    edited March 2006
    Some people see this as "liberation" more than "exploitaion".

And sex in general ticks you off? Is that good?

-bf
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I agree somewhat with you Brigid, to a degree, however I also feel that a picture of a 16 year-old girl fully-clothed wearing "Generic makeup" in a full portrait page in a glossy women's magazine-exalting the "age defying elements" of the said makeup/concoction/chemical cocktail, also exploitation. Exploitation of the girl/model and exploitation of women to think they need age-defying and exploitation of men that are led to believe that 56 year old women should look like 16 year-old models-perpetuating the whole sad situation.

regards,
    Xrayman

P.S. I will not be selling my soul to Penthouse or similar. I prefer more ethical and educational articles to write.
    edited March 2006
    Xrayman wrote:
    I agree somewhat with you Brigid, to a degree, however I also feel that a picture of a 16 year-old girl fully-clothed wearing "Generic makeup" in a full portrait page in a glossy women's magazine-exalting the "age defying elements" of the said makeup/concoction/chemical cocktail, also exploitation. Exploitation of the girl/model and exploitation of women to think they need age-defying and exploitation of men that are led to believe that 56 year old women should look like 16 year-old models-perpetuating the whole sad situation.

regards,
    Xrayman

P.S. I will not be selling my soul to Penthouse or similar. I prefer more ethical and educational articles to write.

The only reason I brought it up is because I thought doing "stories" like you would see in a magazine like this were taboo for someone serious about their career.

Like if you ever wrote a story in one of them - and then went on to write a bestseller - that people would dig this up like dirt to throw at you...

Is this true, Mr. Writer Man?

-bf
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Hey BF.

Understood.

Firstly, My fictional work is appalling. Any fictional story I wrote for any type of magazine, would be an unmitigated disaster-it would be sh**.

This is why I can only do Non-Fictional writing successfully.

You are probably right about the dirt-flinging that would eventuate, however if you consider how much mud-slinging goes on with some hollywood actors now-a few of them are ex-porno stars. I bet they cop a heap of it every now and then.

regards,
    X
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Some people see this as "liberation" more than "exploitaion".

And sex in general ticks you off? Is that good?

-bf

True, it definitely is liberation if you're talking about the free expression of sexuality in a repressive (or formerly repressive) society.

And, no LOL!, sex in general definitely doesn't tick me off. The exploitation of it does. I may follow chastity now but sex and sexuality is incredibly wonderful. I'm just not loving the seedy aspect of its exploitation. You know, the whole "sex sells" thing. I'm no prude but it's a little irritating when sex is cheapened.

But pornography is a huge and varied subject. I sooo don't want to get into it. Suffice it to say that there's good and bad in everything, Penthouse included. (I had to delete the sentence that said I was in the middle of the road when it came to sex because I knew the temptation to make a joke would be too much for you, BF. :tongue2: )

Brigid
  • edited March 2006
    Hello all,
    Porn is just romance with all the words taken out.....(can't remember who said it????)