Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Things that really tick you off

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    One thing that really ticks her off?

Dropping a stitch in row two, and only realising it in row 473.....

The disadvantage is that she has to unpick it all...
    The advantage is that she can unpick, correct and reknit back to row 473 in about twenty minutes - tops....!!

I swear, she can make three adult-sized garments in around five days.

But not swimming trunks.
  • edited February 2006
    Do you two know each other??
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    No never met her before in my life your Honour.
    it wasn't me.
    I never done it.
    deny, deny, deny - !!
  • edited February 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    Do you two know each other??

You could say that YM. :lol::lol: And she's right - I should be Unknitwitch the number of times I backpick to correct a mistake!
  • edited February 2006
    Passive agressive people annoy me. You know, the kind who complain about how "so and so" did this or that, but though you suggest to them again and again to handle the situation and speak politely with "so and so" about this problem, they just want to bitch and bitch until they turn into a pressure cooker.

;) Sure, I should speak to these people about this behavior, but I prefer to mention it here and gripe about it until I explode all over one of them for some totally unrelated offense which will leave them wondering why I'm such a psycho.
  • edited February 2006
    Wickwoman wrote:
    Passive agressive people annoy me. You know, the kind who complain about how "so and so" did this or that, but though you suggest to them again and again to handle the situation and speak politely with "so and so" about this problem, they just want to bitch and bitch until they turn into a pressure cooker.

;) Sure, I should speak to these people about this behavior, but I prefer to mention it here and gripe about it until I explode all over one of them for some totally unrelated offense which will leave them wondering why I'm such a psycho.

Yes they're lovely aren't they? Don't actually want any constructive input, just to download all their poo onto you.

I had a contact who used to do that and I got into the habit of saying, as soon as she started on the same gripe. - Done that one, told you what I think. Next topic? But that was only after she had psychologically vampired off me for a long while.
  • edited February 2006
    Knitwitch, I wonder if I'd have the courage to try your response. It would be fun, no doubt.
  • edited February 2006
    Didn't take courage Wickwoman, just terminal pissed offed ness and boredom with repetition.

Or I am a darn sight less tolerant!
  • edited February 2006
    Wickwoman wrote:

I often run across passive aggressive people who feel duty bound to admonish me, "do not judge". When I point out that their use of that is itself an judgement, they often can't seem to connect the dots.
    edited February 2006
    Thanks ZenMonk, that makes my job sooooo much easier now....!! :lol:
  • edited February 2006
    I often run across passive aggressive people who feel duty bound to admonish me, "do not judge". When I point out that their use of that is itself an judgement, they often can't seem to connect the dots.

I think sometimes people miss an important distinction between Biblical "judgment" and judgment/analytical reasoning. We all use judgment every day. We judge if it's going to rain by the color of the sky and decide to take an umbrella or not. Sometimes judgment is taken a step further when we determine that what we see is right or wrong. Not just that we saw and categorized, but made a moral decision based on what we saw. There must be some Buddhist terminology for that, right?
  • edited February 2006
    Yes it's Right Discrimination, which is part of the very first aspect of the Eightfold Path - Right View or Right Understanding. Right in this context meaning complete as opposed to morally right.
    edited February 2006
    ......(I was kidding)......
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Knitwitch wrote:
    On second thoughts, I might know some transformation spells. Ever fancied living in a pond BF?

Like a horny toad?

-bf
    edited February 2006
    kowtaaia wrote:

So, you have unlimited access to computers at the asylum?

No... we have no computers at the asylum.

I'm just making all of you up in my mind.

Right now we're all having dinner at my favorite restuarant: Lord Wellington's Beef Trapeze.

Fede, will you pass the gravy? I love me some sweet meat drippings!

-bf
    edited February 2006
    where the waiters all serve Beef wellington from trapezes.....
    It's your go to wash up, BF... I couldn't pay the bill last time.....
    edited February 2006
    Sure. I'll let you buy next time we all go to Fish Pockets.

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    Hold my imaginary beef, please, BF. :eek2:

I know, more for the rest of ya. :cheer:
  • edited February 2006
    Ditto on what Wickwomen said.
  • edited February 2006
    federica wrote:
    ......(I was kidding)......

Oh, if this is for me, I wasn't thinking of you when I posted that other stuff. I would say it right to your face. No, actually, I may not. But I would want to! :werr: Anyway, not about you. . . :D
    edited February 2006
    I know.... no problem... it would take a lot more than that to ruffle my feathers.... like you not giving me your portion of Beef Wellington....:tonguec:
  • edited February 2006
    Beef Wellington? Only if it's my puff pastry! Cooo that sounded ego-sodden, didn't it?
  • edited February 2006
    federica wrote:
    I know.... no problem... it would take a lot more than that to ruffle my feathers.... like you not giving me your portion of Beef Wellington....:tonguec:

I like that about you. You're so "unruffleable.":vimp:
  • edited February 2006
    Absolute Truth Claimers

Make Up Overusers

Cell Phone Ring Tones

Vanity Obsessers

I can just feel my temperature rising....
  • edited February 2006
    The only thing that I really hate is any form of prejudice. Racism, homophobia, xenophobia, sexism, transphobia, religious bigotry, etc.

I'm more of a "I'm not a fan" than a "I hate this" person.
  • edited February 2006
    The only thing that I really hate is any form of prejudice. Racism, homophobia, xenophobia, sexism, transphobia, religious bigotry, etc.

I'm more of a "I'm not a fan" than a "I hate this" person.

O.K. So in other words, you're intolerant of intolerance. ;)

I can't tell you how many times I've been "cornered" by a fundie for being intollerant of them. I'm not sure how to fix that. There must be a time and place for everything.
  • edited February 2006
    I need to add one more thing.... I REALLY dislike seeing people throw their cigarette butts out their car window. Stop littering!! It drives me crazy.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    I need to add one more thing.... I REALLY dislike seeing people throw their cigarette butts out their car window. Stop littering!! It drives me crazy.

Have you read Carl Hiaasen's Sick Puppy?

How to deal with litter louts
  • edited February 2006
    I have not read that book...do you recommend I do?
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    I have not read that book...do you recommend I do?

I loved it. I enjoy reading a Carl Hiaasen about once a year.
  • edited February 2006
    Oh great...I'll have to check it out.
  • edited February 2006
    Wickwoman wrote:
    O.K. So in other words, you're intolerant of intolerance. ;)

I can't tell you how many times I've been "cornered" by a fundie for being intollerant of them. I'm not sure how to fix that. There must be a time and place for everything.
    Yes, I'm intolerant of unfounded intolerance. The type of intolerance that isn't even based on personal merit or character.

As for the fundie, I'd say the best thing to do is ignore him/her. :ninja:
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    I just thought of a real good one that drives me crazy...

People that joined this forum after me and have nearly 200 posts more than me!

Yea I really hate that...

YES you know who you are...
    edited February 2006
    You goofball :)

Some of your posts give me a good chuckle.

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    I've discovered a new one recently - people that join this site writing in perfectly acceptable English and suddenly start degenerating into some kind of patois or as if speaking with an accent, or pretending not to be native speakers.

Now that one does drive me nuts because it is a total affectation and as a teacher of EFL I can spot it a mile off.
  • edited February 2006
    Knitwitch wrote:
    I've discovered a new one recently - people that join this site writing in perfectly acceptable English and suddenly start degenerating into some kind of patois or as if speaking with an accent, or pretending not to be native speakers.

Now that one does drive me nuts because it is a total affectation and as a teacher of EFL I can spot it a mile off.

Weuns really is from the south, I swayer.:vimp:
    edited February 2006
    Knitwitch wrote:

What you talk about you clazy lady?

Although I do find your posts quite salutory and sagacious.

Ooops. You caught me now!

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    What does "patois" mean?? :confused:
    edited February 2006
    I believe it's a appetizer made from liver one puts on a cracker or bread.

-bf
    edited February 2006
    Or maybe it's a character from Peanuts.

Peppermint Patte

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    That's pate, you crazy loon!
  • edited February 2006
    This is what you meant:

Do people actually eat that garbage??? PUKE!
    edited February 2006
    I know I am.

But doesn't that sound delicious!?

Peppermint flavored pate!?!?!?!

Yum!

Maybe with an order of steak in carmel gravy and a sausage shake!

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    Eeeeeeeewwwww! Now you are just being gross. How about a nice slab of tofu with a soybean shake? That sounds much better. Are we WAY off topic here??
    edited February 2006
    Noooooo! Surely not - perish the thought - !! :grr: :grin:
  • edited February 2006
    257002.jpg

Yummy!

And here's a quote you might like, YogaMama.

According to the Roman poet Ovid, Pythagoras said: "As long as Man continues to be the ruthless destroyer of lower living beings he will never know health or peace. For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love."
    edited February 2006
    Boy... I bet you break the ice at parties - !! :grin::lol::lol:
  • edited February 2006
    federica wrote:
    Boy... I bet you break the ice at parties - !! :grin::lol::lol:
    One has to be invited to parties and actually want to go to said parties in order to break the ice. :P

I break the ice in my close-knit group of friends, though. :D
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Yogamama,

I think "patois" is a mixture of different languages and dialects. The only example I can think of right now is Cajun dialect, which is often a mixture of French, Spanish and African American speech.
    But I don't know enough about it, so I'm probably wrong somewhere. LOL

Brigid
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited February 2006
    The patois thing reminds me of another pet peeve- folks who join online forums and waste everyones' time by typing in SMS text speak. U cn wst hrs n hrs of time tryin 2 d-cifr wot they r tlkn abt. :scratch: I can only surmise that they haven't yet realised that they have a full QWERTY keyboard on their computer...