Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What's the point of practicing buddhism..... (besides enlightenment)

edited October 2011 in Buddhism Basics
I'm probably not gonna get enlightened in this life time.

Then what's the point of buddhist practice?

I heard that buddhist practice itself should provide joy, but I don't really find much joy in it.

I don't feel like much has changed since I started the practice.. except I started to care less about certain things but I'm not sure if that's due to my practice.

So, if you're (probably) not gonna get enlightened... why do you practice buddhism?

Comments

• You practice Buddhism to become a kinder person, and to overcome obstacles to happiness, such as chronic negative emotions, neuroses, mental habits that result in causing impediments to accomplishing what you want out of life. It takes time. If you're new at this, give it time. Have faith and patience.

What does your practice consist of, besides meditation?
  • GuiGui Veteran
    Practicing Buddhism to me is living in reality instead of living in a dream.
  • What does your practice consist of, besides meditation?
    I meditate and listen to dharma talks online. I sometimes go to monasteries when I have time.
  • Helps me pay attention to everything. Joy is found in the simple things. Cereal, the sky, people, grass on feet.

Just paying attention.
  • Helps me pay attention to everything. Joy is found in the simple things. Cereal, the sky, people, grass on feet.

Just paying attention.
    You can also pay attention to not so positive and joyful things. Are we talking about selective attention here?
  • Each person has their own reasons for choosing to follow a religion/philosophy/whatever. The unique advantage of Buddhism, at least if we follow the Noble Eightfold Path, is a lessening (if not complete cessation) of suffering. Even just following the precepts and developing a skillful morality will lessen suffering, without taking up a meditative practice for concentration and the cultivation of further wisdom.
  • Nope. You're right there are negative things. Pay attention to how it all expresses in the body. Even the bad can be joyful. It is all a lesson, a teaching in disguise. Whether good or bad nothing lasts. Just pay attention, wisdom and freedom is at your doorsteps. Pay attention.
  • edited October 2011
    Practice is so much more than attending teachings and meditating. It's paying attention to negative thoughts and emotions as they arise ('mindfulness"). As you notice these, you may begin to notice a pattern as to what causes these to arise. Then you can choose to make changes in how you react to things. Being kind and thoughtful of others is a form of practice. There is so much more to practice. But if you're new, you'll learn this as you go along. Right now it may seem like there's no point, because you're pretty much at Square One. As you learn more techniques and broaden your practice, you should begin to notice a positive difference in your life.
  • Nope. You're right there are negative things. Pay attention to how it all expresses in the body. Even the bad can be joyful. It is all a lesson, a teaching in disguise. Whether good or bad nothing lasts. Just pay attention, wisdom and freedom is at your doorsteps. Pay attention.
    Paying attention...being in the moment....being in the present...nonsense...
    how can you be more present in the present. You are already in the present.
    What you are doing is another conditioning of the mind by trying to be in the moment.
    Another form of delusion.
    One should let go of such thoughts....its hindrance
    another pressure in the mind...
    what do you achieve by being in the present other than selecting your different kind of choice of reaction.
    you are dreaming with the idea that it is awakening
    its all empty. Your computer doesn't try to be more in the present, why should you! Your body doesn't aware to this moment, why should you!
    As soon as you try to be in the moment, you failed!
    its all empty...what is there to achieve by trying to force yourself in the present. If you try to be in the present, you only transforming your dream into another.

• I'm probably not gonna get enlightened in this life time.

I heard that buddhist practice itself should provide joy, but I don't really find much joy in it.

I don't feel like much has changed since I started the practice.. except I started to care less about certain things but I'm not sure if that's due to my practice.

So, if you're (probably) not gonna get enlightened... why do you practice buddhism?
    Do not follow anything....
    If you follow anyone you are only fooling yourself!
    How can you talk about freedom if you don't make up your own damn mind and how can you be free if you ask others to show you what is good for you?
    All they can show you is their own enlightenment...you have to find your own...
    ask freedom, demand freedom, and you will set your own path.

• Paying attention...being in the moment....being in the present...nonsense...
    how can you be more present in the present. You are already in the present.
    What you are doing is another conditioning of the mind by trying to be in the moment.
    Another form of delusion.
    One should let go of such thoughts....its hindrance
    another pressure in the mind...
    what do you achieve by being in the present other than selecting your different kind of choice of reaction.
    you are dreaming with the idea that it is awakening
    its all empty. Your computer doesn't try to be more in the present, why should you! Your body doesn't aware to this moment, why should you!
    As soon as you try to be in the moment, you failed!
    its all empty...what is there to achieve by trying to force yourself in the present. If you try to be in the present, you only transforming your dream into another.
    i agree. whether you're paying attention to your breath or your thoughts, you're living in the present. it's not like you could ever exist outside of the present. i don't get the whole "be present" idea.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited October 2011
    Buddhism reduces suffering.

To acheive the best results, continue treatment over several lifetimes.

If suffering persists, please consult your Lama.
  • Buddhism reduces suffering.

To acheive the best results, continue treatment over several lifetimes.

If suffering persists, see your Lama.
    dont listen to this....your lama doesn't know any better than you do...you follow your own freedom...no body can help you but yourself...forget the saviors.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    In the 4 immeasurables prayer we pray to not only have happiness, and be free of suffering but also to have their causes.

Often times though what seems to bring us happiness and remove our suffering in the short term brings pain and suffering in the long run and what brings us long term happiness and removes our suffering often feels like no fun.

If you can, stick with it and you'll eventually be able to see what most everyone who has practiced for a long time will tell you, that the Buddhist path brings about a happier state of mind.
  • Well, at least in the Zen tradition, you see, the whole enlightenment thing is really just something pretty and shiny to lure you in... Its false advertising! The wool has been pulled over our eyes! LOL Just as there is no separately existing "self," there is no seperately existing thing called "enlightenment." So chasing after enlightenment just means you're running further away from it, not closer.

Zazen is goalless-- there is nothing to attain by sitting. There is nothing to attain by eating or sleeping either. Zazen is the expression of total goallessness, and the total expression of completeness and wholeness. Where there is no separation there is no goal. The only obstacle is we think there is some thing that we need to attain-- fame, clothes, a new car, money, enlightenment, heaven-- its all the same.

It isn't that there is no self, its just that the nature of the self is not what we commonly take it to be. It isn't that there is no enlightenment, its just that the nature of enlightenent is not what we commonly take it to be. These are really just two ways of saying the same thing.

For me, practice is learning total trust. Everything is complete as it is. And yet, this is not to be confused with quietism (which is really a kind of passive nihilism)-- there are things to be "done" but without this separation. So suffering is complete as it is. Compassion is complete as it is. Its all about learning to go from "ought" (separation and fragmentation) to "is" (seamlessness and wholeness). We love our "oughts" (myself most certainly included!) and that is the thing I am learning to let go of.

At best, I can say I practice not in order to attain enlightenment but to let go of of any notion of "attaining" and to let go of any notion of "enlightenment." In zazen I observe the "oughts" that pass like clouds and don't chase them away, nor cling to them. Occassionally the weather clears up a bit, and I can get a glimpse of the blue sky of "is."

• I think it would be wise (not to mention kind) to remember that this is a beginner's forum. A lot of the responses here, while perhaps not intended to be so, come across (at least to me) as being very haughty. If I were a total newbie, I'd probably run away and not come back.

There are ways of explaining things to the uninitiated with kindness and compassion, and then there's preaching. A lot of what's here is preaching.

• If you can, stick with it and you'll eventually be able to see what most everyone who has practiced for a long time will tell you, that the Buddhist path brings about a happier state of mind.
    There is no such thing as happiness...there is no happiness unless if a person is a fool!
    the reality doesn't care if you are happy or not...only your twisted thoughts look for happiness...how can buddhism bring happiness then?
    happiness, sorrow, suffering, joy etc etc they are all thoughts...
    just be a good person, you dont need religion for that...be good person cultivate love...one cannot do anything wrong if he is doing it out of compassion, out of love. thats it...there is nothing else...no enligtehment, no permanent happiness, no nirvana...

• i agree. whether you're paying attention to your breath or your thoughts, you're living in the present. it's not like you could ever exist outside of the present. i don't get the whole "be present" idea.
    In an earlier discussion of the "be in the now" idea, someone commented that it applies mainly to meditation. But more broadly, it can mean simply staying focussed on what you're doing, and not letting the mind wander. The mind has a tendency to dwell in the past, or project into the future, in a daydreaming way. Of course, we do need to plan for the future, that's a practical and necessary application of projecting into the future. But when it's just idle daydreaming, from a practical perspective in Buddhism, this is a waste of time. This is my understanding, anyway.

• i agree. whether you're paying attention to your breath or your thoughts, you're living in the present. it's not like you could ever exist outside of the present. i don't get the whole "be present" idea.
    In an earlier discussion of the "be in the now" idea, someone commented that it applies mainly to meditation. But more broadly, it can mean simply staying focussed on what you're doing, and not letting the mind wander. The mind has a tendency to dwell in the past, or project into the future, in a daydreaming way. Of course, we do need to plan for the future, that's a practical and necessary application of projecting into the future. But when it's just idle daydreaming, from a practical perspective in Buddhism, this is a waste of time. This is my understanding, anyway.
    As long as there is "you"....doesn't matter if that you is in the future, in the past or in the present, it still is a dream...a continuation of thought of 'you'.
    present is present...lets not fill it with nonsensical concepts like "be in the moment"

• When you pay attention there is no self. Weird huh?
  • I'll add something a bit more down-to-earth-- its not WHY I practice, but I can't deny that its a nice plus-- and it is very much tied to practice.

Several weeks ago, I was going to go out late at night to pick up a couple grocery items and before I got out of the parking lot, I figured out I had a flat. Now, my normal way of reacting would've been a string of expletives and body tension and general unpleasantness-- all because I was resisting what was the case right then and there.

Instead, after discovering the flat, I parked my truck and thought to myself, "I'll do what I need to do tomorrow morning." I went back to my apartment and that was that.

I won't go into all the details of what happened the next day-- changing the tire was not as simple as I expected. There were additional problems that made it somewhat more complicated (and cost me a little extra money too). I ended up walking around town a good bit back and forth and finally was able to get the truck to a shop. This took up quite a few hours. But in the end, I did get it all fixed.

Knowing the way I have been in the past in similar situations, I would've gotten quite upset about all this, grumbling and bitching all the while, and pretty much just making myself miserable. But instead I handled all this in a very calm way. It was very simple. I there was a problem. I knew the solution, and acted. When a new problem would arise, I again knew what to do and did it-- without resisting it all in my mind.

That afternoon, when I got back home and everything fixed, I reflected on this and had to laugh at myself-- because of how I normally would've reacted to such a situation. What was so funny is that it wouldn't matter how I reacted to the situation-- regardless, I would've still had a flat and all the other problems that stemmed from that! It was all still going to happen anyway. But I could've resisted and made myself miserable, or I could just do what needed to be done without separating myself from the situation.

It turned out that it was actually a very good day after all. :-)
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    So, if you're (probably) not gonna get enlightened... why practice buddhism?
    :banghead:
  • Then what's the point of buddhist practice?
    Renounce all evil, practice all good; save the many beings.
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    edited October 2011
    i don't get the whole "be present" idea.
    For me, this "idea" has been instrumental in overcoming some painful situations and some panic as well. The mind plays tricks on us and we imagine situations that are painful or cause panic - yet they are projections into the future... unreal, of course. The pain/panic that these thoughts produce is REAL. It helps to remain in the NOW and dismiss all those projections -- take comfort in a situation that is actually quite safe.

@zen_world Referring to people as fools or putting down what's been said as 'nonsense' is not very persuasive and is, IMO, bad form. Of course, from your POV, it must be all empty -- apparently one of the buddhist/zen conveniences when you have an ax to grind and don't give a d*mn about others' feelings.
    PS. Hope you'll feel better soon!
  • "You only lose what you cling to." -buddha
  • Hey Pain,

♥ .... I practice Mahayana Buddhism and the goal of saving all senstient beings. This alone is very satisfying, in that helping people, makes you feel happy (I believe its a psychological fact.)

♥.... The realisation that we are all interconnected, makes me want to improve upon my own 'happiness' (and if you want something enough...it will happen) for the sake of those around me, because if I'm miserable, those around me will be too.

♥...Meditation ...can be brought forth into the day, so whenever you have a negative thought, you can let it flow out of your mind, this brings greater clarity.

♥....I dont even think of enlightenment, I want to spend as many lifetimes as I can helping people .... because truly what else matters .... and if I accidentally become Enlightend on the way, I will still devote everything to helping those whom are suffering in Samsara x

Kindly,

Claudia x

• For me, it is more a way to live this life... It clearly reminds me that I have choices in how I live each moment, and that only I can be responsible for those choices.
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    Me neither. It's like playing Spider Solitaire on difficult level : you have to press new game until you find the right combination to win. ( This thing came as a joke to myself, that, if I win even a single game of spider solitaire, difficult level, I' ll get enlightened on spot).
    What's the purpose of dissecting bodies for a future medic (either generalist or veterinarian) ? Buddhist practice is just practice, with "buddhist-" suffix added. This is about putting theory ( yeah, being compassionate and a better person) into real use. It's void if you learn from books that you have to be a virtuous person, if you don't practice with real cases out there , in real life.
    Reading a part of the Diamond Sutra, I understood that one should detach from all things, even rewards, when doing a charitable thing ( This is what I understood, please correct me ! Oshiette kudasai ! ). The one who does the act of giving should leave behind the thought of 'I am doing this' which, I could say, it somehow implies that he should leave behind the notions of gain and loss.
    Could be. Change isn't done in a fast pace.
    To feel good about myself. Hypocrisy aside, I do my own buddhist practice (what I call 'the ten-seconds-compassion') when random people on the street need a small cheer-up thing.

• To feel good about myself. Hypocrisy aside, I do my own buddhist practice (what I call 'the ten-seconds-compassion') when random people on the street need a small cheer-up thing.

What do you do - I'm intrigued ... :)

• your lama doesn't know any better than you do...you follow your own freedom...no body can help you but yourself...forget the saviors.
    From the buddha onwards there had been a tradition of teaching in buddhism.There's a reason for that.

• NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    @ Mrs Wigs

Let's say I help those peasants with whom I travel daily get down their heavily stuffed bags out of the bus. Or, when they can't find the handle to open the door's bus, I show them the righteous way :D . This is the start.
  • pain said:

@ pain:
    I can truly only speak for myself here but, I think the reason any of us practice isn't necessarily to find that "ultimate goal" of enlightenment. Its that something about Buddhism speaks to us and hits us in a way that just works.
    For me personally, the practice itself does provide joy, For example:

Taking twenty minutes out to sit on my cushion and think of absolutely nothing, can at times be the most exhilarating part of my day. Also, the point of My practicing isn't to attain a goal so much as it is to free myself from my own suffering (which, okay, may be a "goal" of sorts) But how I do this is, when I feel strongly about something, a thought, emotion, material object etc., I know I'm suffering because its not making me any happier by being attached to it. So, I address it,acknowledge it,don't ignore it and pretend its not there, but I don't dwell on it either. I try to think about why I feel so strongly and I try to detach myself from those things in the future. More often than not, by doing this I become a little happier! Its not because I've become complacent. Its because I've trained myself to think about the way I think and act. If I act in this way toward things I'm attached to, I have freed myself from that type of suffering. This is one way I find joy in practicing.

Another is by bringing other beings happiness. If I can bring happiness to one being a day by doing good things for them it in turn brings me happiness. This is what I think is meant as loving kindness. The best way for me to describe it is like a fisherman's net. Each being in this world is one of those knots in the net. If I shake one of those knots, the rest of that net will shake as well and it can be felt in the one knot I shook. This is how I think of Karma. EVERYTHING I do, big or small, positive or negative, effects all beings around me and it WILL come back in the same way. So I try to "shake my knot" by doing positive things to breed good Karma. This also brings me joy.

I think the point of buddhism is to free yourself and others from suffering and to breed positivity or Good Karma for yourself and all beings. I hope by sharing the above that maybe it will inspire you to keep practicing.

Namaste _/\_

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    "Joy, monks, also has a supporting condition, I say, it does not lack a supporting condition. And what is the supporting condition for joy? 'Faith' should be the reply.

"Faith, monks, also has a supporting condition, I say, it does not lack a supporting condition. And what is the supporting condition for faith? 'Suffering' should be the reply.
  • compassion to yourself and others, leading a pure life that does not lead you into situations of ignorance that can induce suffering, having some peace of mind and a mind that is focused, having a healthy mind, generating positive karma and the list really does go on and on
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2011
    pain, it can be like taking a shower when you are dirty. At first you see dirty water and you think it is making you moreso. Then eventually with continued practice you see clean water.

but if buddhism is making you worse I would ease up and try to link in with a sense of freshness and wonder in life.

one of my teacher's students said that he struggled all sessions in meditaion and then at the end he just relaxed and felt relief that the session was over. My teacher said the only time he was meditating was right then! At the end!

You are stuck and its times like these when a teacher can help.

Dharma practice consists of hearing (teachings), contemplating (comparing to your life experience), and meditation.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2011
    Nice metaphor/analogy about the dirty water, Jeffrey! It's like in meditation when you're noticing all kinds of thoughts and feelings arising and you're thinking "this is insane, it's getting worse, I'm actually thinking more!"... but the fact is your concentration and awareness of what arises and passes is growing more acute, preparing you to understand and accept that these thoughts and emotions are transient conditioned phenomena and not "you".
  • riverflow's story about the flat tire is a great example

there will be situations that arise and we will not have control over them but we will be able to control the way we react - it is our reaction that determines our suffering

for me, buddhist practice helps me be aware of how i am reacting to what is going on around me