Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Brokeback Mountain.

buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
edited March 2006 in General Banter
Anyone seen this?

What did you think?

-bf

Comments

• edited February 2006
    I saw it.

It really gets a hold of your emotions. Great movie in general.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Not yet. Gotta wait for video.
    Can't wait.

Am I going to cry my heart out?

Brigid
  • edited February 2006
    OH, I am SO glad you posted this! My hubby and I just saw it on Saturday. I absolutely LOVED it! Fabulous movie, which sends such a powerful message. I love movies that really make me think, and I have not stopped thinking about this movie since we saw it. Heath Ledger was amazing. He did such a good job. And Jake Gyllenhall is always amazing.

Did you like it, BF? My husband wasn't sure if he was going to like it or not, but he loved it as well.
  • edited February 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    Can't wait.

Brigid

Yes, you will probably cry. I sure did.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Brigid,

You may cry your eyes out... I don't know for sure. My girlfriend is a cryer (loves movies like The Notebook so she can bawl for 15 or 20 minutes...) you'll just have to try it and see.

Yoda,

It was kind of a let down for me. My g/f had been talking about it constantly and how Oprah said "this" about it and "that" about it. I was thinking afterwards that if this had been a story about a male and a female relationship - it wouldn't be getting all the hype that it's getting now.

But, on the other hand, I think subject matter might open people's eyes a little bit to what people in homosexual relationships go through with society. Not to give things away but ... the part that bothered me the most was when Heath was being handed out lies from Jake's wife - and everything being swept under the rug like what happened was perfectly acceptable.

I can't say anymore since I don't want to ruin anything for those that haven't seen it.

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    Well, sure, if this was a story about a man and a woman, it wouldn't get all this hype because men and women together in a relationship do not have to go through what same sex relationships have to go through. Not even close! Especially back in the 60's.

So do you think Jack's wife was lying, or do you think that is what everyone assumed happened to him?
    edited February 2006
    They made some very good points about the 60's and homosexuality. But I don't really know if things have changed that much. I believe that people in homosexual relationships still go through a lot of crap from uncaring and uncompassionate people.

It's my opinion that Jake's wife either knew or had a very good idea of what happened. There seemed to be anger, more than anything else, when she was talking to him.

It's hard to talk about this movie and not give things away!

Like some guy on this other site I used to go to that popped out immediately to get the new Harry Potter book and the posted a thread that said, "Hey!, what did you guys think about Dumbledore dying!?!?!?!?"

People were not very happy.

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    You are right...his wife did seem a bit angry at the end. We better stop talking about the movie before we give anything away!

Oh, and tell your girlfriend to quit watching Oprah!
  • edited February 2006
    hmm .. i didnt like the movie..
    if two men are in love and happy .. wunderful!
    do i want to see it ? no !
    i found it very uncomfortable to see two guys go at it.. sorry
    folks..
    we are all different as humans yes... to exept each other is the key..
    and understand our differences
    but to see, hear, " HEY IM GAY.. BEING GAY IS HARD BUT LET ME PUT IT
    OUT IN YOUR FACE / LET ME DUMP MY PROBLEM ON YOU" hmmm
    i have an easier time agreeing that we are different, when people are not wearing their idenity on their shoulder , proud yet humble.

i dont think im being prejudice .. ???
    there is nothing wrong with being inlove..
    i just dont want to see two men making out.. we dont see that everyday
    its a shock..
    anyone agree????
    iv heard so so much that this was an awesome movie..
    it bothered me.
    colleem
  • edited February 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    Can't wait.

Brigid
    I don't cry very often, and the closest I've ever come to crying in a movie was that scene in Never Been Kissed where Drew Barrymore got pelted with the eggs :bawling:, but I can honestly say that I was close to crying.
  • edited February 2006
    SO you havent seen the movie? brokeback??
  • edited February 2006
    colleen wrote:
    SO you havent seen the movie? brokeback??

Na not interested, just like the passion of Christ........I guess I like my movies to be more escapist....:thumbsup:
  • edited February 2006
    Yes, colleen, I've seen Brokeback Mountain. I adored it.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Thanks for the advice, guys. I bet I'll sob my heart out and enjoy every second of it! LOL
    I love a good cry. It's hard for me to get caught up in romance these days, but a gay romance should do it. Not as tired for me as the cliched Hollywood idea of boy meets girl... I'm so looking forward to seeing it and thank you B.F. and Yogamama for not giving anything away. I know how hard that is when you're in the middle of discussing it. LOL You could start a thread that says "SPOILER: Brokeback discussion. Don't read if..." etc.

Hey, Eric! I cried at that part in "Never Been Kissed", too! Love that movie. BTW, is your brother home yet? Want you to know I'm thinking about him and you, and your whole family, sending my love and wishes for safety and a homecoming soon for all.

Love,
    Brigid
  • edited February 2006
    I love that movie as well, but that part just gets me badly. It's probably a combination between sadness over the fact that my generation has stooped to hurting others to raise their self-esteem and the fact that Barrymore portrayed the pain of that situation so realisticly.

And no, he's not home, yet. He'll be back late in March. Thank you for all of your kind thoughts. He'll be fine. :)
  • edited February 2006
    Colleen, what in the world were you expecting to happen when you went to see the movie? Why are two men kissing any different then a guy and a girl kissing? People are people, love is love, no matter what.

I don't think you should have gone to see the movie if homosexuals make you so uncomfortable! You say you are accepting of others, but your post doesn't really imply that at all.
    edited February 2006
    Colleen,

I would have to agree with Yoda on this one.

Yes, homosexuality is not something that you see everyday because it's been taboo AND, as depicted in this movie, can create severe consequences... even death.

Here is something that I've thought about in the past...

If people don't like to see homosexual couples showing affection, in... oh let's say public, why should heterosexual couples be allowed to show affection in public? Why should heteros have that privilage and not homosexuals?
    Why is it okay to see a man and a woman making out on the big screen? It's because that's what society has deemed acceptable. If this type of behavior isn't allowed for homosexuals - then it shouldn't be allowed for heterosexuals.

I don't think this movie was indicative either, of how heterosexual couples engage with each other. Although, I could be wrong. I believe it was a movie about two men caught up in something neither one was expecting, something they had never experieneced before, in a time period and location when it was not accepted.

I don't think they were dumping a problem on you - because homosexuals don't have "a problem". They have someone they love that just happens to be the same gender.

I would hope that you would reconsider your initial feelings and realize that this isn't a "problem". Something as simple as this could be a wonderful learning experience and thought process for you!

Best regards,

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    AMEN to that, BF!! Well said, my friend. The only real "problem" that homosexuals have is that they are not treated equally and fairly in this world. And that really, really, really irks me more than anything! It's so sad, really. And that's why I liked the move so much. I think everyone should have to see it to get the message.
  • edited February 2006
    As a little side note, this is kind of cool:

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/20060222/114065820000.html
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Right on, BF and Yogamama!!

:rockon:

Brigid
  • edited February 2006
    Can I just jump in here and support Colleen
    As I grew up in south africa, and over there we are about 30 years behind the rest of the world on the sexuall revolution, I as a gay man find it very hard to show affection to my partner infront of straights, so just as she doesnt like to see it, I can understand it. I dont like to do it, and that is the feeling of most gay people I know, they will never shove it in your face.
    Delboy
  • edited February 2006
    Hello,
    How about breastfeeding.....personally I have no problem with it. What's your opinion?????
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    Scotland has now declared it AGAINST the law to STOP mothers from breastfeeding in Public....

as you can see in this article

And I think they are about to pass the same Law South of the Border, in England... some time next year....

See here

ABOUT RUDDY TIME - !! :grr:
  • edited February 2006
    federica wrote:
    Scotland has now declared it AGAINST the law to STOP mothers from breastfeeding in Public....

as you can see in this article

And I think they are about to pass the same Law South of the Border, in England... some time next year....

See here

ABOUT RUDDY TIME - !! :grr:

The polies hate it, one of them was breastfeeding her kid in Paliament and was asked to leave!!!! Big storm!!!! Its not really against the law, just alot of men who deny they like staring at tits get upset?????? I think its because they have to come to terms with the fact that evryone can see them staring, and they're not doing it in some darkened room with the video/dvd player???????????? Who knows????:rocker:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    The only time I do get a little queasy myself, is if I see that a mother is still breastfeeding a child who has obviously long gone past the weaning stage...

I remember attending a Tupperware party during the day, and a mother had brought along her four-year-old little boy... Running around everywhere, chatting madly with all and sundry... enjoying the attention.... And he suddenly ran over to his mother, who was calmly sitting there, chosing her plastic pots - and the kid just yanked up her jumper and - well, had elevenses, I guess! She didn't bat an eyelid.... But you could have heard a pin drop - !!

At the risk of "compartmentalising" or labelling... this lady did appear to be the 'very pro- "new-age" hippy straggly hair, cheesecloth patchwork skirt' -ish type of person....but even taking her completely laid-back and liberal opinion and life-style into account - it didn't go down too well in Surrey, that day....!!
  • edited February 2006
    There was aprogram on British TV recently about breast-feeding. I must admit that I didn't watch it but there was a woman on there that was still breast-feeding her 7 year old daughter! :eek:

I mean, 7 years old, that's just wrong !!
  • edited February 2006
    A four-year-old who's still nursing doesn't seem all that odd to me, though perhaps a bit on the late end of the curve. It's not that unusually for kids that age to still drink formula, especially at night, so why would breast milk be all that different?

I think the idea the mom had was probably to let him self-wean. From what I've heard, that typically happens between two and four, sometimes later sometimes earlier, but if it's before 12 months (or possible 18, can't remember) it wouldn't be considered self-weaning, since it would be good for them to still get most of their nutrition from breast milk/forumla rather than solid foods. The idea is that when they no longer have a need (nutritional or emotional) they'll gradually wean themselves off nursing, and as far as I know, it works in most cases.

Seven would be old though. I think there would have to be a huge payoff of some sort for someone to still be nursing at seven... I would've stopped from embarrassment alone.

As for the original topic, I haven't watched it and I probably won't until they show it on tv in a couple of years (if I happen to be aware of it being shown when they do...). I've watched maybe five movies in theaters my whole life, never got into it and I don't have the money to spend right now anyway.
  • edited February 2006
    Oh boy...now you are going to get me going on the topic of breastfeeding. I breastfed my daughter until she was just over two years old, and boy, did I get crap for it! I can't tell you how frustrating it is to hear people's comments like "You are STILL breastfeeding??". Honestly, I am not really sure why some people do not like to see toddlers or kids breastfeeding. For crying out loud, that is WHY we have breasts! Breastfeeding is the most natural thing in the world. If a mom wants to breastfeed her 4 year old, or 7 year old, so be it. If that is what is working for them, then great! I give that mom a lot of credit for still breastfeeding her 4 year old. Have any of you breastfed before? It's not always an easy job.

As for the comment about "you don't need to give a 4 year old formula, why is breastmilk any different?" Because breastmilk is the most nutritious thing in the world! And there is so much more to breastfeeding than just "food". It's a special bond between a mother and a child.

Here are some good links for you to check out:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html

http://www.promom.org/101/

My daughter has a little friend who was born with MS. She is three years old now, and the mom is still breastfeeding her, and plans to breastfeed her for as long as her daughter wants. So should the mom quit breastfeeding her sick child because it makes others uncomfortable? I think everyone should breastfeed their child, regardless of wheter or not it makes others uncomfortable!
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2006
    I thought the movie was good, and I liked it. But I also enjoyed the trailer parodies and the ridiculously worded Willie Nelson song. Here are some trailer parodies: http://youtube.com/watch?v=6T7Nu5X_Bho
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfODSPIYwpQ
    http://www.mightymcpilgrim.com/films/brokemac/Mighty_McPilgrim_broke_mac_med.mov
    See also: http://www.neatorama.com/2006/02/07/brokeback-mountain-parodies/

Speaking of parodies, I'd like to "paraphrase" one of the posts on this thread. I'm changing the subject to G W Bush's blatant personal political agenda. Here's what an eleventh grader says about the president's speech and political position:

hmm .. i didnt like the speech......... (movie..)
    if two countries are at peace and happy .. wunderful! ......1.
    (men) 2. (in love)
    do i want to see it ? no !
    i found it very uncomfortable to see two parties go at it.. sorry .....
    (guys)
    folks..
    we are all different as humans yes... to except each other is the key..
    and understand our differences
    but to see, hear, " HEY IM A CHRISTIAN LEADER.. BEING
    A CHRISTIAN LEADER IS HARD BUT LET ME PUT IT......... (GAY)
    OUT IN YOUR FACE / LET ME DUMP MY PROBLEM ON YOU" hmmm
    i have an easier time agreeing that we are different, when people are not wearing their idenity on their shoulder , proud yet humble LIKE THE PRESIDENT.

there is nothing wrong with being in politics. .....(inlove..)
    i just dont want to see two parties making out.. we dont see that everyday....
    (men)
    its a shock..
    anyone agree????
    iv heard so so much that this was an awesome time in which to live.. (movie..)
    it bothered me.

In case it isn't clear, I've lifted the actual words used in the post, put them in parentheses at end of line, and made my own substitutions in red.
  • edited February 2006
    riponcub wrote:
    As I grew up in south africa, and over there we are about 30 years behind the rest of the world on the sexuall revolution, I as a gay man find it very hard to show affection to my partner infront of straights, so just as she doesnt like to see it, I can understand it. I dont like to do it, and that is the feeling of most gay people I know, they will never shove it in your face.
    Delboy

Dellboy, but you shouldn't have to feel uncomfortable showing affection to your partner in public!! That's what drives me crazy! I have no problems giving my husband a smooch in public, and you should be able to feel the same way about your partner. I just think this world would be a much better place if everyone was just more accepting of others differences.
    edited February 2006
    federica wrote:
    The only time I do get a little queasy myself, is if I see that a mother is still breastfeeding a child who has obviously long gone past the weaning stage...

Freddie,

Did you and Nick get my email I sent about "children" being too old to breastfeed?

-bf
    edited February 2006
    riponcub wrote:
    Delboy

Delboy,

If that is "your" decision - that's cool. I know hetersexual couples who aren't into PDoA - and that's just what works for them.

Now, if you're being told you can't or you don't because you don't want to suffer the consequences... that's a different story.

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Freddie,

Did you and Nick get my email I sent about "children" being too old to breastfeed?

-bf

Why don't you send me the email, and then I will rip you a new one.
    edited February 2006
    Easy now, stinker.

I wasn't poking fun at you. I know how important breastfeeding is to you and would never dream of making fun about something like that regarding you.

It was just a funny video I received that I sent to them. If you would like, I'll email it to you. PM me your email address.

-bf

But... I still might want to try the ripping thingy... ;)
  • edited February 2006
    LOL...I thought you were joking in your post to federica just to get a rise out of me.
    edited February 2006
    Don't believe we did, BF.... when did you send it?
    edited February 2006
    I sent it about a week and a half ago.

I'll try again right now.

-bf
    edited February 2006
    Crap... I don't have your email addy now.

-bf
    edited February 2006
    Actually, I just put it on my site for anyone that wants to see it....

www.claymohr.com/vids/time-to-let-them-go.wmv

Enjoy... and Yoda... don't hit me. It's all in fun.

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    I think I might have made my point wrong, I'm gonna use South Africa and the appartheid era as an example, before '94 blacks and whites didn't mix, after '94 all of a suden they were best friends, they came round for coffee, had bbq at each others houses, and the interracial dating started, but always there is an underlying tension, but because the world expected it of them they did it.
    The same it is with gay people, just because the laws are abolished, and we can get married etc. now people are forced to except it, and that is wrong, I would rather that Colleen tell me she doesnt like me or what I do, or what I am, than have her like me to my face, and dislike me in her thoughts, for I believe she does more damage to herself that way. I will prove to her in time I am a good person(I hope) and she will like me for that.
    What I'm trying to say is, dont force the issue, everybody can't like everybody, life will be way to boring (and soap opperas wont work) and people wont start excepting people just because it is the way it should be, but in time barriers will fall, and human nature, and the will to belong will take over, and we will all live happilly ever after.

Ps. I know my english is crap, so just bare with me, and I will get my point through.
    Delboy
    edited February 2006
    Well, Delboy,

I don't think anyone was really ripping on Colleen... I know I didn't feel like I was ripping on her or discounting her. I was just thinking that seeing something from our initial "point of view" might be something that we need to take another look at.

In the book discussion of Heart Of Buddha's Teachings, the author spends some time talking about "points of view" and how many times our initial point of view is laden with various things that have happened in our life - instead of being rooted in the teachings of Buddha.

I'm slowly coming to the point of reviewing all of my thoughts and frames of reference and seeing if they truly fit into the teachings of Buddha.

I also think that your feelings are quite valid given your point of view and how the sum of your life experiences have made you what you are today.

As for appartheid - I still have never understood that one. It's still something that utterly confounds me to this day. I still keep a picture of Nelson Mandela in my office to remind me that it was only a few years ago that things like this continued to happen in our Modern World.

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    Nelson Mandela is a wonderful person, I had the chance of meating him once, as both my parents where in politics, and fought for the better of the then black education system, he came round one night for dinner, and I was forced to come home from uni for the meal, I didnt understand the reason then, but when I met him, he is a person that has found peace in himself and with the world as a whole, and to have been in that peace, just for half an hour, I knew what I strove for in life. And it is a feelling I will never forget

db
  • edited February 2006
    riponcub wrote:
    What I'm trying to say is, dont force the issue, everybody can't like everybody, life will be way to boring (and soap opperas wont work) and people wont start excepting people just because it is the way it should be, but in time barriers will fall, and human nature, and the will to belong will take over, and we will all live happilly ever after.

Ps. I know my english is crap, so just bare with me, and I will get my point through.
    Delboy

You make some very good points. I think that I do sometimes try too hard to force the issue, and then I just end up getting upset with others. I just want the barriers to fall now!! :)

PS - your english is fine. :)
    edited February 2006
    DB,

I envy you.

-bf
    edited February 2006
    DB,

I forgot to mention - one of my favorite groups to listen to is Juluka and Johnny Clegg. When I first heard their/his music - I was struck by many of the things they were singing about that I truly did not know existed.

I didn't know about the torture and incarceration(sp?) of people in a country - just for being the wrong color.

I knew it happened in the States - but in the 80's - I didn't know it was still happening...

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    As for the comment about "you don't need to give a 4 year old formula, why is breastmilk any different?" Because breastmilk is the most nutritious thing in the world! And there is so much more to breastfeeding than just "food". It's a special bond between a mother and a child.

I assume you meant my comment? What I actually said (I think, perhaps I phrased it poorly?) was that lots of four-year-olds still drink formula, so why would a four-year-old still drinking breast milk be bad. And I agree with you about this subject, so I guess I'm just not very good at getting my point across. :)
  • edited February 2006
    Oh, I am sorry. I read your post wrong. I don't know anything about formula, but I thought that kids were supposed to be taken off of it when they truned a year, and put on regular milk? (Which is a whole nother debatale topic for me! Cows milk is nasty!!).

So, sorry for reading your post wrong! :)
  • edited February 2006
    You probably are supposed to switch to milk. There are different kinds of formula here, the one I assume they give them the kind for older kids, 18 months + or something. (I think some/a lot of people give it to their kids for comfort/when they go to sleep, at least that's the impression I've got from what I've seen and heard.)

And it's easy to misread/misinterpret what people are saying online, especially if you don't really know them, and I know I'm new here so I should take better care to word things properly. :)
    edited February 2006
    aquula wrote:
    ... I know I'm new here so I should take better care to word things properly. :)

I'm "old" here - and I should probably do the same :)

-bf
    edited February 2006
    * THIS is the kinda discussion I love! People - you rock my world - !! :):):)*