Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

S. Batchelor on Relative Truth vs. Absolute Truth

DakiniDakini Veteran
edited October 2011 in Philosophy
When queried by Yours Truly about the idea in Mahayana that bodhisattvas, Buddhas, and enlightened teachers are above conventional morality, and function from the perspective of a higher reality, Stephen Batchelor, who's in town for a retreat, stated frankly:

"The two-truths doctrine is the single greatest disaster to hit Buddhism". (He doesn't mince words.)
He traces the roots of this doctrine back to what he calls "the Indianization of Buddhism". He believes it arose from the belief in Mara, representing the illusory world, and Brahman, representing the Divine. "This opened the door to a double-standard. This split level of reality is a problem not only philosophically, but behaviorally."

The Buddha, of course, taught the same ethics for all, and didn't exclude himself.

Maybe it's time for a back-to-basics Buddhism...?

Comments

• there is no split. the split merely exists as a method of teachers. when the teaching is realized the method is dropped.

no one is above morality. causality exist prior and after enlightenment.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2011
    The two truths view is wrong. As are all views when grasped to. As you say without ethics there is no enlightenment. The two truths to a buddha are one, and that is also the traditional teaching. But only a buddha can see reality as such. For an ordinary human it takes two truths to understand reality.

By the way it is not a traditional teaching (across the boards) that people are above morality. Trungpa Rinpoche called that shunyata poisoning. Nagarjuna was prominent for instituting higher standards of morality and he was catalytic in developing the madyamaka philosophy, teachings, and so forth. Which is related to the teaching of the two truths.
  • Just for reference here is the two truths as presented by teacher's teacher. here
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited October 2011
    Thanks Jeffrey and Tai. Good stuff. I suppose it depends on an honest, ethical teacher to present it the way you guys say.

I saw an essay by a Zen practitioner saying something like: "We should remember our roots are in the Heart Sutra, the identification of relative and Absolute. Thus we are obliged to challenge dualistic moral judgement. (i.e. teachers running amok, disregarding ethics) If the teacher disappoints us [in his behavior], he won't be the first master whose realization didn't extend into the relative realm". This makes me scared of the Heart Sutra. I guess it shows the importance of studying with a qualified teacher to get the right interpretation. But people really swallow this stuff. The Tibetan interpreter for the abbot at Hemis monastery was quoted by Andrew Harvey in his book, "Journey to Ladakh" as saying if the lama kills, it's not for us to question why. The lama views life from the bodhisattva's perspective.
  • http://aroencyclopaedia.org/shared/text/h/heart_jewel_ar_eng.php

Padmasambhava said:
    " My view is as vast as the sky, but my actions are finer than flour."

So one should not lurch and stagger through life claiming to be a Dzogchenpa or a Dzogchenma when all the while one may be little more than a flatulent oaf, rank with greed, and stinking of stale beer.
  • Yes Dakini, it is VERY important to trust your own self. Because your guru isn't going to be there with you when you die? Are they. So you have to be true to yourself. And I imagine the psychological dissonance between supressed misgivings and conditioning to accept the guru... well the dissonance would probably disturb the mind.

To thein own self be true. ~ Shakespeare
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited October 2011
    i think its important to realize that even an arhat can be a douche bag if he/she wanted to.

morality and its function is to bring about peaceful states of mind, which in turn allows for mindfulness/concentration. the goal and function of morality is ultimately for the flowering of wisdom/compassion.

what one does after such realization is up to them. either they follow their natural inclination of wisdom/compassion or create their own twisted up version that justifies some insane form of morality that only insane people agree to.

the buddha or arhat or bodhisattva or whatever spiritual leader is still human and being human can fail and utterly fail hard. we must break all illusion that such people are "perfect". sure they are in some sense, but the arhat's integration with the world or rather the engagement with the world is an infinite learning process.

just because becoming ends, doesn't mean one cannot be a douche bag.

humbleness is the quality of an arhat who realize they have achieve nirvana but still a human body is here. thus they with compassion go about engaging in the world.

but this isn't just arhats. the bodhisattvas who realize the non dual awareness and hide behind such awakening and justify other insane "over the top" or "holier than you" morality is just as human as everyone else.

=]

thus the great mantra in the heart sutra is go go go go keep going keep going keep going awaken but keep going.
  • "Douche bag arhats"? I thought enlightenment meant the letting go of attachments and cravings. So you naturally wouldn't want to do anything that would fall in the douche-bag category. You wouldn't have those cravings.
  • If one is going to live one's life in accordance to relative reality, one will also be subjected to those same laws. A douche will and should be treated as one.
  • I'm relatively confused.
  • The whole point of the two truths doctrine is not that the absolute trumps the relative. That would merely be monism. The two truths doctrine, which stems from Nagarjuna and the Prajnaparamita sutras, points to the UNITY of the relative and absolute-- neither one cancels out the other. Wisdom and compassion are one, not two. The two truths doctrine (nor skilful means, nor emptiness) is not a loophole to get around the precepts.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    The whole point of the two truths doctrine is not that the absolute trumps the relative. That would merely be monism. The two truths doctrine, which stems from Nagarjuna and the Prajnaparamita sutras, points to the UNITY of the relative and absolute-- neither one cancels out the other. Wisdom and compassion are one, not two. The two truths doctrine (nor skilful means, nor emptiness) is not a loophole to get around the precepts.
    Yes, spot on. The Two Truths aren't mutually exclusive, they're intertwined. A car exists at a relative level, but at an ultimate level it does not exist (it's just an imputation on it's parts, and it's parts are an imputation on smaller parts; in essence, it's empty of inherent existence).

From The Two Truths by Geshi Tashi Tsering:

"Our universe is made up of things and events. Some of these may be pure fantasies or simply not exist, but the vast majority exist and function, and at one level we are unmistaken in how we perceive them. That is conventional truth. At a more subtle level however, we fail to see the way they come into existence due to causes and conditions and the way we erroneously ascribe to them a concrete reality. The mode of existence of phenomena at this deeper "ultimate" level is ultimate truth. Narrowing the gap between how things appear to exist and how they actually exist is the focus of this book."

In Buddhism, we use both conventional and ultimate truths. You couldn't cross a road without getting hit by a conventional car if we didn't. But seeing the ultimate truth - even at a purely analytical level (which is only what I can do) - is useful. We see certain situations as being 'out there' and inherently real - since we impute our level of understanding onto them - so by seeing the ultimate reality, the emptiness of the situation, even just at an analytical level, is useful for removing the fear element involved in dealing with these situations, enabling us to deal with them in a better and more 'grown up' manner.

I'm not sure what Stephen Bachelor meant by the Two Truths doctrine being a disaster, because that's how things and phenomena exist. It's like him saying that reality is a disaster!

• "Just as when boys or girls are playing with little sand castles:[4] as long as they are not free from passion, desire, love, thirst, fever, & craving for those little sand castles, that's how long they have fun with those sand castles, enjoy them, treasure them, feel possessive of them. But when they become free from passion, desire, love, thirst, fever, & craving for those little sand castles, then they smash them, scatter them, demolish them with their hands or feet and make them unfit for play."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn23/sn23.002.than.html#sand

Those who wants to continue to play with "sand castles" cannot claim to have ended their craving.
  • When queried by Yours Truly about the idea in Mahayana that bodhisattvas, Buddhas, and enlightened teachers are above conventional morality, and function from the perspective of a higher reality, Stephen Batchelor, who's in town for a retreat, stated frankly:

"The two-truths doctrine is the single greatest disaster to hit Buddhism". (He doesn't mince words.)
    He traces the roots of this doctrine back to what he calls "the Indianization of Buddhism". He believes it arose from the belief in Mara, representing the illusory world, and Brahman, representing the Divine. "This opened the door to a double-standard. This split level of reality is a problem not only philosophically, but behaviorally."

The Buddha, of course, taught the same ethics for all, and didn't exclude himself.

Maybe it's time for a back-to-basics Buddhism...?
    Actually there are the four noble truth. When we talk about truth there is only that.
    The different truth understanding of truth is also real, and the Buddha talk also for different understanding. For people having not attained insight there is the "normal" Noble Eightfold Path to bring them to the level to be able to understand the four noble truth on an transcendent level.

For those who have not entered the stream, the transcendent truth of the Four Noble truth is not understandable and even if explained they would not be able to understand.

From this view there are two kinds of truth. For sure, if somebody has not lost the lower fetters (lost of doubt about the Dhamma is one of them) he would only be able to see the intellectual truth and therefore hardly claim that's the end of the line.

For example, one who tries to enter the stream "right intention" (thoughts) are necessary. If one has entered a high level of inside he needs also dissolving this as there is neither right or wrong (in the way we normally see at things). But as long as we have not free from the lower fetters it is not very wise to think of letting go of "ordinary" judgement. It leads just to synthetically "Non-Attachment" and his is build up on a self made wrong views

I think http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.117.than.html the "Maha-cattarisaka Sutta: The Great Forty" is maybe useful to understand this different.

*smile*

• SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    edited October 2011
    It would make sense to say that enlightened beings MAY act AS IF they "are above conventional morality". After all conventional morality is... well.. conventional.

The problem whether those who act in this way do so out compassion or out of delusion is another matter.

The moment conventional morality (or anything else for that matter) is made into an absolute, true wisdom and compassion are lost. imo.
  • Yes *smile*, because its impermanent. But beware of loosing the thoughts before at the entrance. There are also two kinds of crazy, "real" and real *smile*
  • The moment conventional morality (or anything else for that matter) is made into an absolute, true wisdom and compassion are lost. imo.
    Yes, its really a matter of finding that balance! I think that the two truths doctrine are the training wheels for finding that balance-- not abiding or clinging to the relative, nor abiding or clinging to the absolute.
  • No no, its not good to create a synthetic balance. First we need to walk the simple way. *smile* So as long there is no real insight its good to cling on the relative.
    Train in not harming, killing, stealing, lying, sexual misconduct and not taking intoxicants. If we change our livelihood in that way, we have the basis for gaining more insight. Its not so wise to try the sort cut.
    *smile*
    well, there's no absolute way to approach this, is there! ;)
  • *smile* We are not aware of it. In this context, yes you are totally right.
  • For me this proposition of relative and/or absolute truth is mental masturbation.
    There is nothing outside of what is really here. Those who preach on these ultra fine points of philosophy do so because they have a habit of intellectualizing. I thought sincere meditation ends that sort of nonsense.?
    There is a place for masturbation too!
    The 2 truths don't say there is anything else apart from This. Absolute truth is not a "higher" truth hidden "behind" our conventional reality. It's just a different name for emptiness. That's how I understand it.
    It can be just intellectualising for it's own sake, but some folks can actually learn from this kind of approach. Though I have my own tolerance limit for intellectualising.
    Whether sincere meditation ends this sort of nonsense, you'd need to ask a sincere meditator :rolleyes:
  • I sincerely meditate. It is nonsense. It is just the monkey mind fooling around with relative ideas. That is good for some things like baking a cake, or building a house, but when it comes to gleaning any "liberation" from making a distinction between absolute and relative "truth", it is absurd and a waste of time, except for those who are still trying to figure out "reality". When the mind is still, where is this question? It only arises to give someone the excuse to behave in a unseemly manner. Like Eido Shimano used this argument for his abuse of his female students, and many others use it for similar reasons. You will know if the tree is healthy and good by it's fruit. Not by intellectualizing about the tree.
    edited October 2011
    Actually I tend to agree with you @wondering. I am still trying to figure "reality", I admit. I'd be delighted to be able to drop it, but I'm afraid I'm too addicted to intellectualising.

I was just saying some people may find it helpful, who knows?

Of course, using it as an excuse for unethical behaviour is missing the point.

But I would also add that if it wasn't for the teaching about absolute & relative truths, there could be a danger of staying in the relative forever and believing that this is it. Where is liberation then? Isn't the concept of liberation itself already making a distinction between absolute & relative?

• Of course, using it as an excuse for unethical behaviour is missing the point.
    Unfortunately it is all to often that this "debate" ensues over unethical behavior. Otherwise it has little value, and i am sure that all of us, including myself, have used the dynamics within this play on words to justify our own unseemly behavior. :)

• But I would also add that if it wasn't for the teaching about absolute & relative truths, there could be a danger of staying in the relative forever and believing that this is it.
    ...Or staying in the absolute forever and believing that is it

There is no "it" at all to grasp, possess or reside in-- nirvana, liberation, enlightenment, awakening, buddha nature... these are all provisional tools to help point on in the direction toward something that cannot be expressed in concepts. Such concepts are necessary, but it is also necessary (at the right time) to let go of them.

If Prajnaparamita is approached from a mere intellectual point of view, one has really missed the boat!
  • For me this proposition of relative and/or absolute truth is mental masturbation.
    There is nothing outside of what is really here. Those who preach on these ultra fine points of philosophy do so because they have a habit of intellectualizing. I thought sincere meditation ends that sort of nonsense.?
    Sure if meditation is made for the purpose of insight (vipassana) and yes it is brain gymnastic as the transcendent truth is beyond philosophy. *smile*
  • I agree with wondering, that there can be a tendency for people to get caught up in intellectual acrobatics and leave compassion behind in the process. And yes, Batchelor's wife said that meditation should balance that out by fostering compassion, ethics, and so forth.

Riverflow, I'm interested in how Nagarjuna developed the two truths doctrine, and from what basis. Batchelor said neither the Buddha nor Nagarjuna used the terms "non-duality", nor "emptiness". But Nagarjuna's philosophy wasn't discussed in full. I'm wondering how this two-truths, two-moralities idea developed, when this is not what the Buddha taught. Could you elaborate?

Great discussion, everyone--so informative and insightful! Please continue. :)
    I'm wondering how this two-truths, two-moralities idea developed, when this is not what the Buddha taught.
    I doubt this is what any master taught, Buddha or Nagarjuna.

You seem to hold to the idea that there is a double standard somewhere.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Not sure if this is correct or not but I always viewed the idea of a master acting above conventional morality as similar to tough love. The idea is to act in whatever way helps the student to progress regardless of the conventional morality of the action.

Its a very slippery slope though, when is someone engaging in tough love and when are they just being an ass?

I'd like for any teacher of mine though to generally appear to have fairly pure moral action.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Batchelor said neither the Buddha nor Nagarjuna used the terms "non-duality", nor "emptiness".
    Has Bachelor even read the Pali Cannon?

MN 121
    PTS: M iii 104
    Cula-suññata Sutta: The Lesser Discourse on Emptiness

MN 122
    PTS: M iii 109
    Maha-suññata Sutta: The Greater Discourse on Emptiness
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2011
    @Dakini, that link I gave gives some of the history of the two truths. The two truths was also taught in the hearer path. As well as the bodhisattva path. As it is called by the lama.

You might be able to find something if you search "Vaibhashika school"
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Stephen appear to some as a reformer to others with a bit more knowledge as someone who likes to shred Dharma to his own personal inclinations.
  • When you are at the top of the game, you play by different understandings of the rules.

The rules themselves don't change, or shouldn't, but one's understanding of them does. Thus, it may seem as though one person is acting differently than another and playing by different rules, but really they are playing by the same rules, just in a different way.
  • The rules themselves don't change, or shouldn't, but one's understanding of them does. Thus, it may seem as though one person is acting differently than another and playing by different rules, but really they are playing by the same rules, just in a different way.
    :bowdown:
  • VajraheartVajraheart Veteran
    edited October 2011
    Who said, that, I read that before from someone.

So one should not lurch and stagger through life claiming to be a Dzogchenpa or a Dzogchenma when all the while one may be little more than a flatulent oaf, rank with greed, and stinking of stale beer.
    Stephen appear to some as a reformer to others with a bit more knowledge as someone who likes to shred Dharma to his own personal inclinations.
    I agree.
    When you are at the top of the game, you play by different understandings of the rules.

The rules themselves don't change, or shouldn't, but one's understanding of them does. Thus, it may seem as though one person is acting differently than another and playing by different rules, but really they are playing by the same rules, just in a different way.
    Well stated. :)
    I sincerely meditate. It is nonsense. It is just the monkey mind fooling around with relative ideas. That is good for some things like baking a cake, or building a house, but when it comes to gleaning any "liberation" from making a distinction between absolute and relative "truth", it is absurd and a waste of time, except for those who are still trying to figure out "reality". When the mind is still, where is this question? It only arises to give someone the excuse to behave in a unseemly manner. Like Eido Shimano used this argument for his abuse of his female students, and many others use it for similar reasons. You will know if the tree is healthy and good by it's fruit. Not by intellectualizing about the tree.
    The two truths is simply this; dependent origination is relative truth, and emptiness is ultimate truth. But since dependent origination infers emptiness and emptiness infers dependent origination, it's really just one truth being expressed through words in two different ways. To think of the elaboration as mere mental masturbation and to think the goal of Buddhist meditation is merely stilling the thought fluctuations and that's enlightenment? Is to lean towards an extreme view that only leads to formless samadhi realms, and not the bodhi of the Buddhas. What you are talking about sounds a lot like what is known as Zen sickness, too much sitting practice and not enough study.

That's just my opinion. Be well.

I'm not sure what Stephen Bachelor meant by the Two Truths doctrine being a disaster, because that's how things and phenomena exist. It's like him saying that reality is a disaster!

Right, the two truths explanation is merely saying that things conventionally exist through mutual co-dependence, but are all ultimately empty of inherent existence. That is all, nothing more, nothing less. People make it out into something wild and new from what the Buddha taught, but if one understands the Buddhas teachings, Nagarjunas understanding is naturally comprehended without complication.

That's how it seems to me at least.

Buddhism is very simple, if you understand dependent origination, apply that to every single statement made by any historical Buddha from whatever time period, from Shakyamuni, to Nagarjuna to Vasubhandu to Padmasambhava and all that complicated sounding stuff will be very deeply simplified on an internal level, where intuition is.

• Despite the pleasures that we can experience through sound and sight, feeling, etc., the bliss of the free mind, the mind which is unattached, far exceeds any other. The Buddha taught this realization of emptiness.

When we talk of emptiness or the empty mind, it is not a mind devoid of feeling or objects or of any experience. It is not everything vanishing and the mind being an empty space where nothing else is happening. But it is a mind empty of the sense of ‘I,’ of ignorance, of grasping and rejecting. When the mind is empty there can still be sight, sound, feeling, smell, taste, touch. It can all be there, but there is no grasping. Everything that we see, hear, taste, touch, think, remember, every mood, every aspect of ourselves and our world, every particle of it, is experienced as a pattern of consciousness in the mind. And so to understand and realise emptiness, is to be able to see that reality, that actuality.

It is almost, in a sense, seeing a transparency of experience, the dream-like, mirage-like nature of our world of experience. The Buddha’s description of emptiness, and what that takes us to, is a mind which is fresh and alert and can respond freely to life.

Aj Amaro

The World : See it as a bubble, see it as a mirage: one who regards the world this way the King of Death doesn't see. Dhammapada

• It is almost, in a sense, seeing a transparency of experience, the dream-like, mirage-like nature of our world of experience. The Buddha’s description of emptiness, and what that takes us to, is a mind which is fresh and alert and can respond freely to life.

Aj Amaro

The World : See it as a bubble, see it as a mirage: one who regards the world this way the King of Death doesn't see. Dhammapada
    Om Ah Hum!
  • Ohhh can you feel that? Yes I think I can feel it too. What do you think, is it that. What else could it be. Ohhh, wonderful, wonderful.

*plopp*

*smile*
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    @Vajraheart, I combined all your posts into one. It makes for less teddious reading.
    Please be mindful when posting, of condensing commentary.

many thanks!
  • @federica,

But, I comment to each separate post of others at separate occasions.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2011
    You can still do it in one post. As I illustrated. I once had to do this with someone who had posted 31 successive posts.
    people get put off by seeing the same poster over and over again. It seems like a thread take-over.... so condensing them into one, you still replied to everyone individually, but it's all in one place.....see? :)
  • You have to be mindful of what would/could arise in your mind in the future also *smile* before you post.
    @Hanzze, when I need your help on Moderating decisions, I'll be sure to ask you.
  • You can still do it in one post. As I illustrated. I once had to do this with someone who had posted 31 successive posts.
    people get put off by seeing the same poster over and over again. It seems like a thread take-over.... so condensing them into one, you still replied to everyone individually, but it's all in one place.....see? :)
    But, how did you do that without a bunch of cut and pasting?
  • Strikes me this is all pretty obvious. Firstly, there are not "Two truths" about morality: moral behaviour is moral behaviour, full stop (although exactly what is the right thing to do in any given circumstance may vary, in terms of weighing up the various merits of our actions and applying wisdom).

Secondly, we do live, in a manner of speaking, in two realities. Firstly, there is the reality where, as has been posted already, if you cross a road without looking, you may be hit by a car. In this reality, suffering exists and is real. Of course, ultimately, from the perspective of a Buddha and Bodhisattva, suffering is caused by the illusion that cars are real, that people are separate entities etc. Ultimately, if the car hits you and kills you, nothing has really changed as this physical world is a delusion.

Some people misunderstand this teaching. I was watching a program about the Samuri the other day, and they said how they were taught that killing your enemy wasn't really killing, as flesh was an illusion. In fact, you could be said to be doing them a favour, as you'd liberate them from their flesh and give them a chance to be reborn in a heaven realm. But this is clearly a perversion of the Buddha's teachings! You don't need to know much about the Dharma, or even the Buddha's own life, to see the error in that. Where is the compassion? Where is the kindness? Where is the view that this is a precious human life and we shouldn't squander it? Or the precept against killing?

So there it is: morality, exemplified by the Eightfold Path, is not different in different levels of reality. Our awareness is. That awareness of 'Ultimate Reality' helps us when we threaten to become overwhelmed by the suffering all around us. It helps us to see the 'Big Picture' and remember that ultimately, all is well with the universe. And when we are in the middle of suffering, ourselves, it helps us to transcend that ordinary, physical reality we are so bewitched by (Samsara) and remember that suffering is produced by our minds, ourselves.

However, we should never forget that for most people, ordinary reality is all they know, and suffering is suffering. It would be easy to forget that compassion is the other side of the coin to wisdom, and sit on our metaphorical lotus, looking down and saying "Poor saps - they are trapped in their delusion". But the Buddha didn't do that, and neither should we.

Like the old story of the great teacher who offered his body for a hungry mother tiger, with cubs to feed, we offer our lives to others for the relief of their suffering, in this reality, knowing that in ultimate reality, we are free to do so with no loss to ourselves.
  • wonderingwondering Veteran
    edited October 2011

To think of the elaboration as mere mental masturbation and to think the goal of Buddhist meditation is merely stilling the thought fluctuations and that's enlightenment? Is to lean towards an extreme view that only leads to formless samadhi realms, and not the bodhi of the Buddhas. What you are talking about sounds a lot like what is known as Zen sickness, too much sitting practice and not enough study.

That's just my opinion. Be well.
    I do not believe there is such a thing as enlightenment. I do not even know what "formless samadhi realms are" and i do not believe there is a "bodhi of the Buddhas". These seemingly knowledgeable quotes and explanations are nothing more than excuses for false knowledge to enhance one's own ego projections of understanding. It has an air of superiority of knowledge in them.....best to come down from the lofty branches before one slips and has a great fall. :)

• Do you believe in ego?
  • No, I think everyone has a different "opinion" of what "ego" is. For me it represents building up of one's illusion that they have a seperate and permanent personal self. How 'bout you?
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited October 2011
    Same. The mind that knows prior to this and that. The seeing that investigates the inner/outer world. That is bodhimind.

I'd have faith in awakening but great doubt with everythin else. Even your doubt must be doubted.

No ego. Just beings believing otherwise.