Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sex, drugs and Buddhist teachers.

edited January 2012 in General Banter
I want to talk about Buddhist teachers who partied hard.
I'm interested, that despite breaking fundamental buddhist teaching, some teachers have still been awarded great respect.

Can an alcoholic teach the dharma?

Chogyam Trungpa was a tibetan teacher who, for those who don't know, was considered an unusual; yet very insightful teacher.
He lived a pretty wild life full of sex and drugs, and eventually died of alcoholism.

Yet he enjoyed a high level of respect.
The Zen master Shunryu Suzuki (A teacher who I personally hold in very high regard) recommended his teachings to students.
Pema Chodron was taught primarily by Chogyam.

Now this is a great source of confusion to me, do you think that Chogyam Trungpa, despite his frequent drug/alcohol use, had anything of that much importance to teach?

Personally I'm lost.

It also seems as if this is a reoccurring issue, with Sogyal Rinpoche, Ösel Tendzin and Taizan Maezumi amongst others(google them).

Clearly in a lot of cases this is just plain old corruption, and that's perfectly ok, to expect buddhism to be super human is clearly quite foolish.

Is it always corruption? can alcoholic teachers have anything of importance to say? why do they accumulate so much respect within their respective communities?

These are the questions that linger.

Comments

• edited January 2012
    Buddhists tend not to discuss the faults of others, but express their opinions with their feet. My son was showing me the video Zeitgeist asking my opinion of it, I did not know it was Chogyam who spoke at the begining and I expressed the view that whoever it was, was a fake. Yet, even if that were the case, it seems he was very knowledgeable about Buddhism (compared to his audience of that time), he inspired a lot of people to the practice and helped them along their way.

He also upset a lot of people, and may have broken most precepts to some degree with the consequences that go with it, but as discussed in other strands... good can counterbalance bad, not all bad leads to bad and we can learn from drugs, sex and our own and other's errors. I think it was Pema Chodron's view that if you are sincere the path will open up for you and that it is important to also look for the good - I don't think she would ever recommend him however. I first came to the Dharma through being involved with Muktananda, I left, but I can thank him for my learning to trust my intuition, not to be so easily impressed by talk rather than deeds and most importantly to see how I was caught up in wanting easy magic solutions to my suffering and power when the solution was right before my eyes and it was I who was standing in the way of my own enlightenment and that no magic, technique could have moved me. I had to see into my own clinging - and no kundalini, Guru or magic can do that. I had another teacher who became infatuated with his own image and upset many people. It took me years to see where his insight fell short, and in some respects he is wiser than a great many other teachers. If it were not for his deep psychological wound, I think he would have been a great teacher and was an excellent teacher for many and I am grateful to him too - but would not recommend him.
  • It's very difficult and I dare say impossible to cultivate a mind that is bombarded with stimulants and intoxicants.

There is no clarity.

Alcohol and drugs simply drop the level of consciousness below thinking to numbness or accelerate it to the other extreme.

Aren't their many other teachers to pick from?
  • Maybe there is an over emphasis on teachers.

I think it's dangerous when people start idolising teachers, after all the Buddha said something along the lines of "question everything, even what I say".

I feel as though ruthless critical thinking is one of the most valuable tools in the study of buddhist/hindu teaching.

That is why cherry picking is the best policy.
  • Lady alison I totally agree that's why I started this discussion.
  • It is like getting marriage advice from a person who was never in a relationship.
  • It is like getting marriage advice from a person who was never in a relationship.
    Totally! Look at the spirit of the teaching and the teachers are only suppose to point to the way.
  • From a muslim perspective...we have the holy quran and the haddith, which are things that the prophet mohd pbuh said and was recorded.

Even he was clear to say that if he ever said anything aloud that contradicted, muslims must see to the book ie, quran. Because some things he simply said as a man.

He was also worried that they would turn him into an idol like jesus.

You have a right to be disappointed and maybe betrayed...shit happens so instead

now you can't have blind faith, you know better.
  • Uh-oh, dive for cover! It's another Chogyam Trungpa thread! :hiding:
  • I don't know if it's an overemphasis on teachers, but I definitely think that the idea that teachers (especially those star-quality teachers, the big names) are above "mundane" morality and exist on a higher plane, so we can't question their motives, they're Bodhisattvas, is what causes a good part of the trouble.
  • I don't know if it's an overemphasis on teachers, but I definitely think that the idea that teachers (especially those star-quality teachers, the big names) are above "mundane" morality and exist on a higher plane, so we can't question their motives, they're Bodhisattvas, is what causes a good part of the trouble.
    The closer to the Sun they fly the more ignomious the fall.

• Uh-oh, dive for cover! It's another Chogyam Trungpa thread! :hiding:
    This is a reoccurring thread?

It's a fascinating issue.
    I mean how did the guy, a full blown alcoholic - habitual cocaine user, manage to a) be respected as a buddhist teacher and b) maintain that level of respect.
    It defies common sense.

What confuses me the most however is Shunryu Suzuki on Chogyam Trungpa, can anyone try and interpret this for me?

Because emptiness has no limit and no beginning, we can believe in it. Isn't this so? This is very important. I am not fooling you! Okay? If you really understand this, tears will flow. You will really feel happy to be a Buddhist. If you struggle hard enough, you will feel how important this point is. The way you can struggle with this is to be supported by something, something you don't know. As we are human beings, there must be that kind of feeling. You must feel it in this city or building or community. So whatever community it may be, it is necessary for it to have this kind of spiritual support. That is why I respect Trungpa Rinpoche. He is supporting us. You may criticize him because he drinks alcohol like I drink water, but that is a minor problem. He trusts you completely. He knows that if he is always supporting you in a true sense, you will not criticize him, whatever he does. And he doesn't mind whatever you say. That is not the point, you know. This kind of big spirit, without clinging to some special religion or form of practice, is necessary for human beings.
  • The topic comes up now and then, and it can get messy.

How'd he maintain the respect? Well, he didn't, entirely. People did quit his community in CO. A couple of ex-groupies published books about their experience. "The Other Side of Eden" is one book, by the son of a famous author. He said his experience with Trungpa & Co. mimicked his home experience, growing up with an abusive alcoholic father. He says a fair amount of the people in Trungpa's circle came from dysfunctional families, so they felt at home in the Trungpa scene. It takes a certain amount of psychological strength to leave a situation like that, and when you find yourself in a religion that is about "destroying the ego", then what chance do you have of developing that strength?

Look, if there's any fallout tomorrow over this topic, I'm referring the complainants to you. I'm tired of taking the same old flack and having to defend my view.
  • "The Other Side of Eden: LIfe With John Steinbeck", by John Steinbeck IV. And there's a film just released about Trungpa called, "Crazy Wisdom".
  • Look, if there's any fallout tomorrow over this topic, I'm referring the complainants to you. I'm tired of taking the same old flack and having to defend my view.
    Hahahaha.
    I can't even begin to see anything controversial about anything you've said!
  • Stick around. You're new here.

Here's an online book with a chapter on him:
    http://www.strippingthegurus.com/stgsamplechapters/trungpa.asp
  • Why not if they are able to drink bottles and bottles of alcohols without getting themselves tipsy and drunk; and consuming kg of heroine, cocaine etc without getting themselves ill health and still consciously in pristine condition :p
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2012
    The man died of alcoholism, Spaceless. And according to what I've heard, he wasn't in pristine condition after his binges. Some of his students asked him if they should follow his example, and he said "NO! Don't do what I do!" What kind of teacher is that?

But maybe I'm just old-fashioned... :p
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Teachers should demonstrate ethical discipline this is part of Buddha Dharma it is not good to support those who do not practice ethical discipline.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I am not a fan of turning a blind eye to the facts -- pretending that someone who is a drunk is not a drunk, pretending that my noble silence is somehow noble. I try to take my counsel from whoever it was who said, "Silence is golden and sometimes its color is pure yellow."

But having been a beneficiary of a very good, if small, bit of teaching from Trungpa Rinpoche as he sat at a table sipping on a very big glass of clear liquid whose octane I could easily smell, I do have to ask and obvious question: What serious Buddhist imagines that s/he cannot learn from a drunk? What serious Buddhist imagines that teachers are not liars and can adduce convincing proof that does not include what those serious Buddhists want/hope/believe? What serious Buddhist imagines that Buddhism is nothing but smooth serenity and sidewalks without dog shit? Are such serious Buddhists really serious Buddhists?

I would not try to skirt the facts. Hanging out with drunks has its drawbacks. The same might be said of hanging out with those of exemplary virtue. Pretending that a drunk is not a drunk would be silly. But pretending there was no lesson in drunkenness would be equally silly.

Every practicing Buddhist navigates the dog turds on his or her intimate sidewalk. It goes with the territory. Choices are made. Some turn out to be good choices. Some don't. Either way, it's pretty good Buddhist teaching.

Just my take.
  • Other people are irrelevant.
    Everything is a projection from us.

Hard pill to swallow, but that is how it is.

This does not justify their actions, but that is not our business. Since we see it as such, we must deal with our projections. Realizing this peace is maintained at all costs.

The guru in all his/her flaws and perfection are merely a mirror to ourselves. And the guru is everywhere. Illuminating and empty. Showing our naked karma.
  • We can learn a lot from a drunk; just not how to stay sober.
    We can learn a lot from teachers who make mistakes; as long as we see their mistakes as mistakes.

The bottom line is that we have to think for ourselves; decide for ourselves.
    The idea of complete and unconditional trust in the teacher is –imho – a dangerous mistake.
    Teachers are human and are bound to make mistakes. As long as we don’t forget about that we will be okay.

In a Buddhist group – again imho – we need to take measures to prevent abuse of power.
    We can’t throw all responsibility in the lap of the Great Enlightened One. Because when we do; there’s a considerable chance our group is going to derail. It works like that in all “worldly” organizations and it works like that in a Sangha. The reason is simple. Sangha people, teacher or not, are made from the same material as all other people.

• @genkaku I think it's normal to expect the teacher or clergyperson to be ethical and a good role model. Think about all the Ch'an practitioners in Taiwan and elsewhere who not only expect ethical teachers, they're fortunate enough to have them.

Roshi Joan Halifax has an essay on her blog titled, "Why Buddhism?" It expresses anguish over the fact that Zen has had serious scandals with some masters. One comes to one's religion from a place of devotion, that's what religion's about. It can shake one's faith to encounter spiritual leaders who think nothing of harming disciples, harming novices or acolytes, carrying on not only like worldly people, but like highly flawed worldly people.

Someone posted a response on Roshi Joan's blog: "Why not Buddhism?" they said. True enough. Why would we expect Buddhism to be any different from other religions? On the other hand, why should we come to expect this of religion at all? All of these scandals across the board, including Western religions, are a relatively new development in terms of their exposure and public debate. One doesn't go into religion expecting messes, or one didn't used to. The purpose of religion is to lift us up, to inspire us to become better people.

I think it's harsh to accuse people of not being serious Buddhists just because they have perfectly reasonable expectations of their master. Sure, from the sadder-but-wiser, cynical perspective of hindsight, one can smugly condescend to those whom one regards as naive. But before all this stuff hit the fan, weren't we all naive? Remember those days? Or has your hardened heart forgotten in its rush to protect itself from further disillusionment?

Who knew this mayhem "came with the territory"?
  • @Newstatesman Read trunpas books and see what you think. You cannot tell if a teaching is good by whether the author partied.
  • Sometimes teachers teach what not to do.
  • @Newstatesman Read Trungpas books and see what you think. You cannot tell if a teaching is good by whether the author partied.
    This is a good point. Can "corrupt" teachers have anything of importance to say? Well, only you can decide. Maybe the best way to approach Trungpa is at a great distance, via his books. I haven't read them, myself, but people rave about them.

The greater question seems to be: is one willing to overlook the debauchery in order to glean some good teachings. That's a highly individual decision.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2012
    @Dakini, I can't crticize Trungpa because if I did I would be a hypocrit. I have partied too. So it is not 'us and them'.. But like you say it is a personal decision!
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited January 2012
    Sometimes teachers teach what not to do.
    We got millions of such teachers.
  • But like you say it is a personal decision!
    Right, some people can overlook, or forgive, the behavior, others can't. It reminds me of an essay African American poet, feminist, and activist bell hooks wrote about ML King. She said he was a womanizer, and this presented a moral dilemma to African American women especially. Do we overlook the behavior because of the immense contribution he made, or do we demand integrity from our leaders, she asked. By forgiving the womanizing, do we condone it and betray our sisters and ourselves?, she challenged.

A sticky wicket.

but do we learn from them?
    but do we learn from them?
    Good point.
  • but do we learn from them?
    Leaving the issue of learning from Trungpa posthumously via his books aside, it would seem that learning from him in person would depend on one's willingness to subject oneself to a certain amount of drama in order to receive lessons. Pema Chodron came through the experience seemingly unscathed, but others did not. I wonder how much Eido Shimano's disciples learned from him, and whether the learning that some received could ever justify the harm that was done to others.

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eido_Tai_Shimano

(for those like me who were not familiar with Eido Shimano)
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    But like you say it is a personal decision!
    Right, some people can overlook, or forgive, the behavior, others can't. It reminds me of an essay African American poet, feminist, and activist bell hooks wrote about ML King. She said he was a womanizer, and this presented a moral dilemma to African American women especially. Do we overlook the behavior because of the immense contribution he made, or do we demand integrity from our leaders, she asked. By forgiving the womanizing, do we condone it and betray our sisters and ourselves?, she challenged.

A sticky wicket.

For me, not so sticky. I might be disappointed in MLK for his womanizing -- and there was an article on that this year on one of the web news sites -- but that doesn't diminish his accomplishments. I'm not perfect, and I don't expect others to be perfect. And, based on your comment, there's a difference between a politically elected leader, and someone who just leads. Every one has to follow (to some extent) the elected leader, while nobody has to follow the natural leader.

• Perhasp
    Uh-oh, dive for cover! It's another Chogyam Trungpa thread! :hiding:
    This is a reoccurring thread?

It's a fascinating issue.
    I mean how did the guy, a full blown alcoholic - habitual cocaine user, manage to a) be respected as a buddhist teacher and b) maintain that level of respect.
    It defies common sense.

What confuses me the most however is Shunryu Suzuki on Chogyam Trungpa, can anyone try and interpret this for me?

Because emptiness has no limit and no beginning, we can believe in it. Isn't this so? This is very important. I am not fooling you! Okay? If you really understand this, tears will flow. You will really feel happy to be a Buddhist. If you struggle hard enough, you will feel how important this point is. The way you can struggle with this is to be supported by something, something you don't know. As we are human beings, there must be that kind of feeling. You must feel it in this city or building or community. So whatever community it may be, it is necessary for it to have this kind of spiritual support. That is why I respect Trungpa Rinpoche. He is supporting us. You may criticize him because he drinks alcohol like I drink water, but that is a minor problem. He trusts you completely. He knows that if he is always supporting you in a true sense, you will not criticize him, whatever he does. And he doesn't mind whatever you say. That is not the point, you know. This kind of big spirit, without clinging to some special religion or form of practice, is necessary for human beings.
    Different cultures respond to things differently and I wouldn't assume this is an endorsement. It is in the spirit of not criticising others -whatever they do. Some cultures adhere to this... It has pluses and minuses.

Anyone who has practiced for long enough will know that after insight there remains a sense of the way, even if you are drunk, but over time it becomes hazy and muddled - and dimmer. Thats why most teachers keep practicing for their entire lives, don't use it you lose it. Chogam may have been a dim candle in a very dark room, now there are lots of candles and so one candle does not shine so brightly. Times have changed.
  • Here are a couple of articles about Shimano that give more info than wiki about the extent of controversies. The NY Times article gives a good, brief discussion about comparative "clergy ethics" between Western religions and Buddhism, as well.

http:/www.nytimes.com/2010/08/21/us//21beliefs.html
    http://www.thezensite.com/ZenEssays/CriticalZen/Aitken_Shimano_Letters.html
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited January 2012
    In my view there is the conventional mind which we think and feel with and which gets drunk. Then there is the natural clear light nature of the mind. A realized person maintains their awareness within that clear light and the conventional mind in effect sits outside of that like holding a ball in your hand. Trungpa's conventional mind was drunk and incoherent but he was able to dwell in that area that is untouched by the alcohol. That doesn't mean his cognition wasn't impared but there is a certain light that shines through from someone who abides in the clear light mind.

Thats not to say that I would want him as a teacher. I would much rather have someone who lives by the ethical rules of Buddhism. But I'm saying that there can be realization that remains untouched by the conventional world.

I don't know why he became an alchoholic. Was it to teach some lesson or was it his intention to show Buddhism as not so uptight and he got lost in the booze, was it a result of the trauma of losing his country?

It was a different time then and today there are many more options. I've spent time with people in the shambala tradition and among some there is still a bit of a party atmosphere. I don't spend time there anymore.
  • Do you think he'd deliberately become an alcoholic and trash his health just to teach disciples a lesson? In fact, he told disciples to "do as I say, not as I do". Psychologists have studied his writings and concluded that there were several traumas, the first being that he was given away to the monastery at age 4, and clearly suffered from feelings of abandonment by his mother. We don't know if he suffered abuse in the monastery, that's a possibility. And there was the loss of his country, that you point out.

I don't buy into the view that "realized" masters inhabit some special, exalted plane of existence that raises them above conventional reality. The Dalai Lama has said that people who behave as Trungpa did have a "wrong-footed practice". "There is a gap between the Dharma and their life", he puts it. I think Westerners need to be careful not to fall into the trap of sophisticated theoretical rationales for plain old ugly behavior. Masters are humans, they're not demi-gods. The truly realized ones have let go of attachments like alcohol, sex, etc., and have no use for that. I think those are rare.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2012
    @Dakini said:
    I don't buy into the view that "realized" masters inhabit some special, exalted plane of existence that raises them above conventional reality.
    Well seeing as buddhism is not evangelical that is fine :) How can you be sure there is no clear light mind?? person neither said Trungpa was a demigod nor said that his behaviour was good for his life and health. My teacher separates conditional and unconditional confidence. Conditional confidence is that I go in the boys restroom. I know what to expect. I know what to do. For example you don't go in the urinal next to another man unless there is no other choice haha. But if I go to China and everything is totally different I have to open. Open to the situation. To see the appropriate action. This is Trungpa's fundamental teaching: open. This is related to the clear light of mind which you could say is ultimate bodhicitta when purified or cleared of obstructions. Julian Feijoo says that you have enlightenment in your mouth but you cannot taste it because of all the other things.

Thus buddhism is not evangelical and you can only know clear light of mind through practice. But actually everybody has this experience: open. Smile at fear.

As far as demigod that does not fit because anyone who does the practice, meditation included, will eventually realize the clear light of mind. It is for everyone.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2012
    Julian Feijoo says that you have enlightenment in your mouth but you cannot taste it because of all the other things.
    I like this.
    As far as demigod that does not fit because anyone who does the practice, meditation included, will eventually realize the clear light of mind. It is for everyone.
    I agree. It's for everyone, and everyone is on the same plane, subject to the same precepts and expectations of observing the precepts. No one's exempt. We all discern when to apply precepts, and when to apply the "greater good" principle. No one's exempt from the non-harming teaching.

I'm not sure Trungpa had clear light mind. How are we defining clear light mind? What's the difference between clear light mind, and intellectual genius? Alcoholics can be geniuses when they're sober. Does that mean they're spiritually realized masters.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2012
    Trungpa did not follow the precepts. They are not given by force. If I recall he did say that he followed the bodhisattva precepts I believe he said that. If we are all on the same plane then we cannot judge trungpa more harshly for not following the 5th precept then we judge myself or anyone on the forum. Indeed we are united in suffering.

Sometimes when I suffer I think how good this is for me to remember what suffering is like so that I can have more compassion. I just had flu yesterday and I thought about that. Suffering reminds you to spend your time wisely so that you are not left with unreliable refuge when you get something you don't want such as old age/sickness/fire or other calimity. Or you lose something that you love: a material or even a loved one.

He did follow the precept about lying as far as I know! We know so much about the tragedy and apparently unskillful behaviour.

I wonder how many of us would post in a thread where we reveal all of the foolish things we have done?
  • Avoiding alcohol is one way of avoiding foolish behavior. But yes, good points. btw, @Jeffrey, this has been a nice exchange, thank you. :)
  • and thank you @Dakini
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I guess in my previous post I put some declarative statements about the nature of Trungpa's realizations. I meant to simply put out the notion as to the way I understand realized masters see the world and that it is possible that he was one of them, I can't say that he was.

Also, just because someone sees the world beyond conventional reality I don't think that means they can just totally ignore it. Trungpa was an alchoholic and as such I wouldn't want to recieve teachings from him. But the debate about him usually either ignores any special realization he may have had or uses it as an excuse for his behavior. Why can't he have had a special realization and still have behavior that one wouldn't approve of, even if as @Jeffrey put it, it was about being open.
  • ZeroZero Veteran

It defies common sense.
    The tastiest steaks are cooked on skillets that are never washed...

• The tastiest steaks are cooked on skillets that are never washed...
    eewww! :p

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I think it's normal to expect the teacher or clergyperson to be ethical and a good role model.
    @dakini -- I agree with this and much of the rest of the sentiment you express. It is very disheartening when those who may seek a more peaceful way of life are treated without respect and a certain gentleness. And it's a devilish matter to say precisely where and how the lines between teacher and student can be drawn and how. When harm is done, blaming the teacher is never entirely accurate any more than blaming the victim is. The teacher has a greater responsibility, in my opinion, so it makes some sense to come down hard on him or her in a situation that disrupts the sangha (which was once considered a grievous error).

Having lived through several 'scandals' that disrupted a Zen center I attended, I can testify to the damage, to the anger, to the confusion, to the lies, to the disgust, to the tears ... to the whatever ... it was awful for the directly-affected victims and it was awful for the less-directly affected. And even today, so many years later, there is an attempt to paper over malfeasance of the past ... with 'compassion' or 'let's not throw the baby out with the bath water' or other displays of what I consider a gutless and debilitating silence.

My experience led me to think this ... and I hardly think it needs to be anyone else's point of view. 1. There is a time to say "no!" Just "no!" No dithering or analyzing or explaining or dissecting or playing the amateur psychologist. Just "no!" 2. And for my own purposes, there is a small credo: "The Zen teacher may be a liar, but zazen is no liar."

Obviously this is all just my personal take.
  • Alcoholic Buddha's stink and wobble, say things they regret, throw up on your carpet and have dysfunctional families - I suspect that sober Buddha's would accept them just as they are, with no complaints whatsoever! And, not hop into bed with them, etc...
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2012
    'let's not throw the baby out with the bath water'
    I've heard this a few times, myself.
    "The Zen teacher may be a liar, but zazen is no liar."
    It does eventually boil down to this, doesn't it? Just because those practicing or representing the teachings are corrupt, etc. doesn't mean the Buddha's teachings aren't worthwhile.

Humans!! :p They're so messy!
    And they really fall for charisma, don't they?

• I might ask where we draw the line? In buddhism we have precepts but of course there is no force to follow them. What if a teacher is up front about drugs and sex..

For the purpose of this thought experiment

1) teacher has sex with non-students only
    2) teacher does drugs on his own time, not while with the students.
    3) teacher is open about his sexuality/relationships and drug use.

Is this a problem?

What challenges would be expected? I can think of one in that the teacher might have a relationship or drug buddy who also knows some of the students.