Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How is your meditation practice going? (Let's Discuss)

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited January 2012 in Meditation
Today I have a simple question - How is your meditation practice?
Do you sit regularily? What challenges are you facing? What ponderings about your practice do you guys have? What questions about your practice do you have? What advice might you give for our newer members?

Comments

• Thank you Leon. I can finally sit for thirty minutes. That is huge!

And my self control is improving because I no longer explode emotionally, internally or externally.

I saw mybest friend's ex the other day and he is still living.

:om:
  • It's ok I haven't felt much of meditation. I meditated five minutes which is a technique when I feel tension in my body. I say to myself "you can do five minutes, just five minutes"..

I sit regularly but some days I am just antsy, It's like I don't want meditation to be a duty, I want to be in the moment. But I at least meditate once because it helps my body and mind. I do also try one hour walking meditation for fitness.

Sometimes it is good to be very driven and into it. Sometimes it is good to just take a deep breath and feel your body. That's my advice to people. Experiment. And don't be hard on yourself.
  • Mine is not really going anywhere to be honest. Just my own lack of enthusiasm and will power stopping me really, not really getting ever getting anywhere with it over 3 years and so forth. Last time I spoke with you leon, you were progressing pretty well if I remember. Also adventuring into taoism etc? How's that going...
  • Be happy no worry be meditation no grasping be sitting while walking be standing while sitting be paradise while dreaming be generously loving be the unending list of wonders universally....
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Mine is not really going anywhere to be honest. Just my own lack of enthusiasm and will power stopping me really, not really getting ever getting anywhere with it over 3 years and so forth. Last time I spoke with you leon, you were progressing pretty well if I remember. Also adventuring into taoism etc? How's that going...
    Hey man! Yea, my practice is going very well. My only concern is to make it a consistent thing. I sometimes skip days, but other then that; it has been going quite well. I highly suggest if anyone is interested in Taoism/Dao then they read this guy: http://www.danreid.org/daniel-reid-interviews-articles-press-media.asp

• shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    I have found a teacher who's not a buddhist but I've been doing a breath control plus counting meditation everyday and I can feel alot more centered and better within myself for a short time afterwards. I just finished one and it felt important that I concentrate to help me control this eratic monkey mind :D. I hope I keep meditation a part of my life for the rest of my days.
  • A teacher, that is probably one thing that I really do need. Good to har about your progress shanyin and leon. I am curious, how fundamental is it to have a teacher do you think?
  • Probably beneficial...but I self taught...
  • I was interested and practicing buddhism for a long time without a teacher. I think one needs some kind of dharma material to study at least. Like a book or videos or something. For meditation I think mindfulness of breath you just need to read two pages of posture and method discussion and you can settle your mind. That can be a practice for years.
  • I have been self taching for over 3 years. I have changed a lot in my personality, for example I use to be somewhat selfish, now I am quite the opposite. I did once read that having a teacher is a must, but then the buddha did not have a teacher and did he not say the dharma is your teacher. Like Alison stated, it obviously would be beneficial if you find a decent one.
    @Jeffrey, is posture really important? If so why, the only reason I can think of is to do with energy flow or something along those lines?
  • @ThailandTom, there is a mind body connection and the posture effects the mind. Basicly it is to be stable and comfortable, which one would also like to feel good energy.
  • I have to add that Jeffrey is talking about traditional meditation bandit is very beneficial.

But in the beggining it can Be hindrance for some and turn them off to meditation because they are always having to check their posture.
  • *that can be
  • Yes, I have heard it if important to keep a straight a firm back. I start off okay and then realize I am slumping so have to reajust, along with pins and needles in my legs (which I have discussed before). Yoga is helping though I can actually touch my toes now :D
  • i Sat for 30 min. watching my naval breathing deep. Imagining i was breathing in light and exhaling darkness. I felt calmer and in better spirits afterword.
  • I am just starting out. I have been able to sit for 20 minutes in the morning a few days a week and other days I do not get up early enough. Often by bedtime I am too tired or my mind is spinning too fast to sit for 20 minutes again. Thich Nhat Hanh said that if you aren't getting joy out of your meditation practice, you're not doing it right. I think my days are better and my mind is calmer and more functional throughout the day, but the actual meditation process is not that enjoyable. I think my biggest obstacle is my perfectionism, even though I know every moment is perfect. I keep thinking that I have to be achieving something in meditation when that's not the point. I judge myself by how long I "achieve" no-mind and realize in those moments there's still thoughts in the background I'm not watching. I try to just feel the in-breath and the out-breath but my mind wants to formulate ideas and thoughts about it, taking me out of it. I do count "in" and "out" in my head but I have difficulty doing that AND watching my thoughts without engaging them. I have depression and anxiety so I know I have a faulty switch when it comes to fear so I have become accustomed to thinking that all thoughts are urgent and need my engagement when very few of them do. I just can't get over thinking I'm not doing it right. I think being an "intellectual" can really be a deterrent to enlightenment.
    edited January 2012
    A teacher, that is probably one thing that I really do need. Good to har about your progress shanyin and leon. I am curious, how fundamental is it to have a teacher do you think?

In the beginning not so much, but to further your practice, I would perhaps suggest it. I have a teacher from a Zen Temple, but I do need a teacher further down the road. However, I am combining Tao/Dao and Zen. That is my practice. I practice Zazen and QiGong/Tai Chi and such.
  • Leon, what exactly is Tai Chi? It seems very interesting and peaceful. As for my meditation...I havent been doing it much lately. I know it's beneficial and relaxing but I just can't get back into it and since I'm kinda sick right now I can't really concentrate on anything. I am a guy with lots of daily habits from what and how much I eat for breakfast to when I start and stop reading at school and what I do in my spare time and as probably you all know old habits are the hardest to break. Also, the only real time I can actually do it is at night when my family is asleep, but then my body tells me to sleep as well. The longest I have managed so far was about 15 minutes, which I think is pretty good.
    Leon, what exactly is Tai Chi? It seems very interesting and peaceful. As for my meditation...I havent been doing it much lately. I know it's beneficial and relaxing but I just can't get back into it and since I'm kinda sick right now I can't really concentrate on anything. I am a guy with lots of daily habits from what and how much I eat for breakfast to when I start and stop reading at school and what I do in my spare time and as probably you all know old habits are the hardest to break. Also, the only real time I can actually do it is at night when my family is asleep, but then my body tells me to sleep as well. The longest I have managed so far was about 15 minutes, which I think is pretty good.
    One of the better videos out there:
    ;) Enjoy! I definitely suggest a teacher for Tai Chi, however!
  • I sit regularly but some days I am just antsy, It's like I don't want meditation to be a duty, I want to be in the moment.

I know what you mean, and it can be a tricky balance sometimes. But I've found from experience that both quality and quantity are important to develop a meditation practice, so it seems like some personal discipline is needed. Otherwise it's a bit like wanting to be physically fit but not actually doing much exercise...
    ;)
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited January 2012
    What advice might you give for our newer members?
    Try not to worry too much "how your meditation practice is going." Just do it, warts and all, high points and low ... and the meditation will naturally teach what needs to be taught.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited January 2012
    Personally, my sittings are going very well. Something happened when I passed the 20 minute mark - it became much easier to sit for longer periods of time. I no longer use a timer, but instead simply "finish" when I feel like it. I sit 40-50 minutes in the morning and 30-ish before retiring for the night.

I also have to give my new zafu/zabuton a lot of credit - very comfortable; without any discomfort I'm able to sit within the moment without the distractions of pain in my back, legs or neck.
    Awww man I gotta repost for some reason?
    @ThailandTom

In Sault Ste. Marie there is no teachers. A problem I think I have is I don't know how to do it other than reading books or suttas or commentaries or different ideas on suttas. So you see variations

I met a monk from the Southern School, on his website he mentioned that without a teacher on the buddhist path meditation can only take you so far, that it is essential.

he also mentioned that faith in the instruction a teacher gives you is something we should have. For example when you go on retreat and recieve an instruction don't worry or think about whether it is the incorrect method but just do it and sort of expect to get benefit from it.

that's all i can say about that.

You live in Thailand, Tom (no pun intended) why not open up and find a teacher?
  • This is something I noticed as a newbie. I also struggle with the monkey mind, except for me it's more like a untamed elephant. The first 10minutes, I know that my mind will try to fight me by bouncing from thought to emotion...or it will succeed by twitches and various body sensations.

I gently tie my elephant to a post.

I don't fight and I don't flee. When I feel like I can't do it anymore and want to get up...just one more minute.

For me, after 15minutes, the elephant gets tired of struggling against the calm watcher so she just lays down.

See?
  • As a new practitioner, I have similar experiences as @BonsaiDoug and @Lady_Alison. For about the first 10 minutes, I wrestle with focusing on the breath and my monkey mind; after that, it becomes easier as I settle into the breath - this is not to say that thoughts don't come and I'm not pulled away from the breath, but it becomes easier to return to it.

I'm thinking of increasing my 20-30 minute sessions or at least meditating twice a day. Right now I just have time to do it in the evenings, but I know many say morning is the best time. I may well have to make time to meditate - in just a few weeks I do feel meditation has been helping me in daily life. I feel some changes and some acceptance.
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    Do you sit regularily? What challenges are you facing? What ponderings about your practice do you guys have? What questions about your practice do you have? What advice might you give for our newer members?
    My meditation practice ? Bad enough. I haven't meditated for a month or two.
    1. I sit cross-legged on my bed during meditation;
    2. I rarely ponder about anything;
    3. How to get motivated to meditate daily;
    4. I don't have any pieces of advice to share right now;

• I like imagining breathing in light thru my nose and darkness out my mouth when i meditate. It always makes me lighter! and more loving =D
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    My sick cat seems to have revitalized my practice. When I had to give him antibiotics everyday, I was forced to wake up early and once I was done with that... I didn't know what else to do with myself. :) I've also started doing yoga daily, which makes me feel a lot better as well. I don't know how long this will continue though, because the earlier I wake up, the worse my nights at work are... It's hard working nights and trying to fit into a normal human being schedule.

Mostly, I'm like Tom... I'm my own worst enemy. Consistency... consistency... I wonder if that word will ever describe my practice.

To be honest, lately I've been feeling like I'm in a bit of a slump. Even when I sit, I wonder why I do. I wonder what is the point.
    I was at the supermarket last night, going through the self-check out with a small basket of items. I was behind an elderly woman who, it was becoming clear to me, had never used one of these before. I began to feel irritated as I watched people who arrived at the other lines after me zoom through. The red 'problem' light started flashing in our line and an attendant came over and helped the elderly woman with the machine. I began to notice my irritation and instead decided to develop compassion as I watched the very kind attendant teach the elderly woman how to look up produce items. I wondered why I was so bothered anyways, I wasn't in a rush. The extent of my night involved dishes and making vegetarian chili. I realized that I was bothered because I was wishing I was somewhere else than I really was. In my mind, I was already at home, starting my chili... looking at the clock... wondering if it would be done before my girlfriend got home. I decided to just BE there, in that supermarket checkout line. It seems a stupid thing to have to tell yourself to do, because well, I WAS there. The woman began to apologize to me, but I told her it wasn't a big deal. It was my day off and I had all the time in the world.
    I wonder, is this the point? Is it all of these trivial matters that combine to make the big picture of why we meditate? I think in the past, I might have had some grandiose ideas about meditation and Buddhism. I don't know why... But this is it, isn't it? Just being kind to each other? Not vomiting my personal baggage/wrong perceptions onto another human being...
  • I also practicemy meditation after I had alittle bit of food and coffee...I am not strict on posture since I am a beginner. I like to lay down and relax my body from head to toe. Since I already had caffeine I am not worried about falling asleep.

If I miss a day, I don't punish myself. I let it arise naturally. The body has its own clock.
  • I think trying to be perfect in something that is suppose to be healing and loving...is a type of violence.

So I don't force myself to meditate. My body tells me exactly what it needs...when do you eat?

Well, I eat when I'm hungry
  • @ClayTheScribe, meditation can also be to know ourselves very deeply. Know our wise peaceful calm and clear self. But also know our neurotic, racing, judgemental self. It's all grist for the mill!
  • @Zombiegirl, what you say sounds familiar and very interesting to me. I think you had a good attitude towards the irritation with the woman. You just took it in stride although you did feel irritation at a time.

My teacher has said that there is a stage of meditation called hot boredom. In this we are very restless and irritable and hard to sit. We are thinking of all the other things we can do. Eventually we let go of that idea or the penny drops or whatever and we enter cool boredom. In this it really doesn't matter if we sit or don't sit, but nonetheless we sit. And we appreciate it in the way that we appreciate a stream we find or sit by. I think of a river in a park in my town. Or something like that. The stream doesn't have to do anything other than just be a stream. But nonetheless we appreciate it for what it is. Same thing with the meditation. It is cool and refreshing but we don't get anything and we don't need to.
  • @Jeffrey ...I don't know why but that resonated about getting to know the neurotic mind, too.

No wonder I always see a little petulant child running around and a sadist...and the victim, and the seductress, the saint, the friend, the survivalist, the...

I doubt I'm insane...these are personifications of the ego in various roles ...but the only difference between "normal" humans and a person who is insane is that the voices in the head are internal.

But I can very much relate to the suffering homeless man I see everyday who talks to himself outwardly.

Compassion.

Sorry I got off topic.
  • Long time no see Newbuddhist! I actually felt like I should comment on this one.
    I've been having, well, an interesting time with practice lately. I've been doing my particular practice for months now and I am feeling strangely sensitive. After practice I feel drained, tired and emotional. It's very unpleasant. But on the upside I've noticed that since I've started I've felt more compassionate to the people around me; more motivated to help others and I can see the difference with my interactions with other people. In a very almost funny way letting go of past fears recently is just scary.
  • @tamm. I worry that you are feeling drained. You should feel light and peaceful...maybe your meditation isbringing something to thesurface that needs to dealt with.

Consult doctor.

Otherwise good job on compassion.

Meditation should feel good, not draining.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited January 2012
    The hot boredom phase you described Jeffrey does resinate with me. That is the point where I open my eyes and get up thinking, nope not this time, again! I just get to a point where my mind falls out of focus and I find myself thinking of things I need to do or want to do, thinking of what someone has said not too long ago or done, things like that. Then my eyes almost just force themselves open and that is that.

I can't really relate my actions or emotions to my practice at the moment because of medication and certain events that are arising, but being easily irritated is sometimes a familiar foe. I can relate to what you are saying though zombiegirl, however I think compassion comes from openeing the heart and mind, or so I remember reading somewhere. There is so much emphasis on meditation in buddhism as being the corner stone, because I have gotten pretty much nowhere in 3 years with it seems as if I am like that student who keeps getting put back a year at school, the dunce :dunce: The only relizations I have gotten have come from merely observing the world around me, thinking to myself, watching how my words and actions effect me and those around me,not from sitting in silence.

I think I already mentioned, the buddha never had a teacher and he stated that teh only teacher you should have is the dharma. Another thing that he is to have said is that one should not take any word as truth, you should find the truth for yourself. I have also heard of stories of bad teachers, this is not a secret. Teachers who lead people in the wrong direction. I look at it in a similar way as doctors. Doctors are there to try and help you stay healthy and get better, a buddhist teacher tries to do the same but trying to keep your mind healthy and cure the suffering in life caused by the mind. Doctors sometimes get things wrong and people sometimes die because of it.
  • @Jeffrey ...I don't know why but that resonated about getting to know the neurotic mind, too.

No wonder I always see a little petulant child running around and a sadist...and the victim, and the seductress, the saint, the friend, the survivalist, the...

I doubt I'm insane...these are personifications of the ego in various roles ...but the only difference between "normal" humans and a person who is insane is that the voices in the head are internal.

But I can very much relate to the suffering homeless man I see everyday who talks to himself outwardly.

Compassion.

Sorry I got off topic.
    The only thing that separates the "sane" from the "insane" is perspective and maybe neuro checmicals. I am not "insane," but I suffer from depression and illness so I'm not entirely "sane." I have voices (not schizo) in my head and I talk out loud to myself. However, I argue most humans are in fact insane and suffering from mental illness of the ego. This world doesn't really allow for much sanity right now. The only ones I consider to be truly sane are maybe those who have reached enlightenment. I do feel meditation brings me closer to "sanity."
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited January 2012
    Meditating for just 5 minutes a day is better than meditating for 2 hours once a week. 5minutes goes by in a flash, doing it daily helps develop the habit and can eventually be extended. Even when you hate the idea of sitting down for meditation you can tell yourself that 5 minutes is nothing and simply suffer through it to help build the muscle for daily practice.

If you're struggling with meditating for 10-20 minutes and only every once in a while do it you shouldn't feel bad about 5 minutes a day, that is a big step forward.

In my own practice I haven't had a 'blissful' or 'profound' type experience in a long while and most of my meditation isn't filled with amazing feelings as mostly I'm butting up against my negative emotions. I feel that my practice is productive as my life outside meditation is greatly improved. If I don't do my meditation I'm more irritable and feel pulled around by cravings much more.
  • i meditated a couple hours yesterday(sunday) and last saturday.

finally catching a little break from work.

felt great, but no where as deep as i would like to go.

now back to work another 70 hours this week (being poor sucks, no time do to anything but work;) )
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    thanks @Jeffrey I think that does describe what I'm feeling. I think that this is the part where the importance of consistency comes into play and I will respectfully disagree with @Lady_Alison that you should only meditate when you feel like meditating. I mean, if we're being honest here, I'd much rather sit around playing video games in my bath robe... but I think it's important for me to force myself to get up and meditate (just like it's important to force myself to do the dishes). And in the past, I used to be reminded why I force myself with the benefits of meditation... but lately... I feel like I'm just sitting. Although, according to Trungpa, this is totally normal and boredom is a big part of the practice. He actually says you need a relationship with boredom before you move on... so... sigh.

@person I notice a difference in myself when I'm not meditating as well. I don't know why, but I just do. Without it, I feel more negative. More apathetic.

@tamm What sort of practice are you doing? In the past, I went through a period in which I worked very hard on cultivating loving kindness towards someone who had assaulted me. It was difficult, draining, but ultimately rewarding. So I think I know how you feel.
  • @zombiegirl I am doing Chod practice, so lots of feelings can come up while meditating. I have worked for years on the pain/fear/trauma of having my father die when I was younger and I'm am getting used to the feeling that I can sit with my feelings and not having it overwhelm/anger/depress me. It has been really good for me! I also got sick right the week after I posted; so I think that was sneaking up on me just a bit.
  • Just a little story for amusement. My football team, the wolverines, was in a big game and I was sooo nervous. I couldn't enjoy the game and I wouldn't have been able to watch it. So I just sat on the couch in half lotus and just taking that posture steadied my nerves and I enjoyed the game!! Small victory.
  • I first began practicing Mindful Meditation, but lately I've been mediating to sounds. I downloaded some meditation sound waves from Omharmonics. It's supposed to stimulate the brain waves that put you into an "Alpha" state, which is how your brain operates when it's in deep meditation. I have found that it helps reduce the chatter and I seem to settle in to the meditation quicker. I've gotten into a routine of doing 30 minutes in the morning, and occasionally an additional 15-30 minutes in the evening.

Does anyone else use sound during their mediation?

• Not doing well at all. Started again after almost 5 years. My wife betrayed me greatly, led to divorce, and I never got over it. Lost control of my strength, the precepts, etc. So I've been trying to get all of it back recently. But meditation? Wow! Is that ever going poorly. My monkey mind is violent and erratic, digging up memories and emotions I was trying to rid myself of. I realize it will take time, but this is so painful.
  • @RMSmith Sorry to hear this. I'm going through a similar relationship end and the erratic emotional state of mind that comes with that. My practice has been saving me. Definitely try to get back to a daily meditation practice: it helps. The thoughts will come but just label them thoughts and return to the breathing. It's obviously easier said than done, but if you do this daily it becomes easier.
  • RMSmith, as you go into the resting of meditation your mind might be naturally bringing all of those memories and emotions up. What we become aware of eventually we become settled with. Maybe you will make peace with the person that was hurt in those times? Just my words to you, my 2 cents as the expression goes.
  • @weighted...helping someone else who is coping with a divorce, too will be healing for you.
  • Last night I had a very good and very long session. I feel grounded today for it. But I'm also trying to keep Pema Chodron's sage advice in mind that we should try not to label our meditation practices "good" or "bad."

It's hard not to when you do experience a "good" sitting, and all too easy to when you have a "bad" one! :)

All practice is practice, though.
  • No, its fine. My divorce was nearly 5 yrs ago, and I subsequently gave up any practice at all because of it all. I thought I was over it, until my recent return to meditative practice. Its digging up a lot of buried emotions now. I didn't really know they were there.