Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Recommended Reading

123457»

Comments

• ponderponder New
    edited November 2014

@angulimala said:
    hi,
    have anyone read 'buddhism in the nutshell'?i think it is decent book for newbies in buddhism.

TY for this - I am reading it now and like how simple it is to read. Seems to explain much for me.

I found a website on it - and it's FREE :)

Thank you angulimala

Nerima
  • @ponder kindly share the website? TYVM

• Since you asked so kindly (I'm used to getting flamed for sharing websites) I'll give you more than one - How's that? Probably too much, but I will share what I have found thus far.

Buddhism in a nutshell:
    http://www.buddhanet.net/nutshell.htm

The following two are on youtube - they are Free as well:

What is Buddhism Part One:

What it Buddhism Part Two:

I found them very helpful and in fact currently downloading the videos. Hope that helps.

mmoNerima
  • Thank you. I wonder why anyone would flame you just because you shared websites, @ponder‌

• @Simonthepilgrim said:
    I would suggest the Dhammapada and the Heart Sutra.

Also, get Anthology of Discourses of the Pali Cannon. Nice little bits of the four Nikayas.

Nerima
  • I have nothing against Kerouac and the likes. Infact at some stage in my life I may have been inspired by them as also John Cage and Gary Snyder. I did find the book 'keeping the breath in mind' by Ajaan Lee fairly accessible for those starting out on meditation.
    Nerima
  • geniegenie Explorer

Some nice books I could read on the smartphone - it could be beginner's material or advanced. This will solve two problems at one stroke - I could learn more, plus also avoid doing meaningless stuff on the smartphone.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2015

Maybe put this on your phone <3
    https://insighttimer.com

As for books ... will leave that for others ... B)

• mmommo Veteran

I don't know how full book managed to get up there on YouTube,

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

"Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind" is nice. "Tales of the Dalai Lama" is fun. And "The Chinese Bandit" is a rollicking good read, if not quite so obviously "Buddhist."

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

There are some free Buddhist books on Amazon Kindle (which you can download as an app on pretty much any smartphone). Some are good, some are not, but what use you get out of them depends what you need. There are lots of websites that offer much reading as well, which you can access any time unless you are not wanting to use data. accesstoinsight.com is a good place to start if you enjoy sutras. Beyond that, a lot of it just depends on your preference. Some love to read the Dalai Lama's books, I personally find him kind of a dry author. I've attempted to read many but didn't finish a single one. I can finish a Pema Chodron or Chogyam Trungpa book in a single setting if life doesn't get in the way. More sutra related books I tend to read as needed, like "In Buddha's Words" by Bhikku Bodhi. He is an excellent author but I don't get much out of simply reading and pondering sutras every day. So, if there is a particular direction you are looking as far as a topic or a tradition that would probably be good to know.

• sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

So there are a lot of wonderful books and I think you could get any book now in digital format.

Definitely check out Zen Mind Beginner's Mind.

I also really like "Sit down and shut up" by Brad Warner, he is a zenny dude and it shows. It's a bit more of a narrative with wisdom and personal experiences dropped in throughout.

I think the blog Awakening to Reality is also really good. It's inspiring to read about other peoples' pathiness.

What really got me into a lot of teachings was Zen stuff, koans and the sort, so I recommend looking into that flavor of resources.

Access To Insight also has an app where you can browse the collection of resources offline so even if you don't have phone service/internet/wifi you can do some dharma study / reflection.

Don't underestimate the importance of study. Sitting meditation is definitely necessary for enlightenment, but it's also important to study so you have a firm theoretical understanding. Without that, aeons of sitting aren't going to be of much help.

Per4umer
  • 111111 Explorer

siddhartha is a classic, beautiful read. 'The buddha - a short biography' is very interesting, describing different accounts of the buddha's life from birth (and previous births) to death, the different accounts being from Sanskrit, Pali, and some Chinese texts

• sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

Ooo I also really love "In the Buddha's Words" by Bhikku Bodhi

http://www.amazon.com/Buddhas-Words-Anthology-Discourses-Teachings/dp/0861714911

bookworm
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

Me too, I own a copy, it has a great compilation of suttas.

FinnTheHuman
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2015

MODERATOR NOTE:
    Merged @genie's thread with existing thread begun by Brian. All members should direct new members seeking literature and reading material, to this thread, as it is most helpful.

Thanks!

Nerima
  • adeleadele Blackpool Rocks! Explorer

Dakini Power by Michaela Hass is about 12 buddhist women from different traditions.
    Who Ordered This Truckload of Dung by Ajahn Brahm.

• ShimShim Veteran

I have a confession: I find most of the Dalai Lama's books a bit scary. Even a bit dogmatic and judgemental. Okay, I'm glad he's not doing the new age PR but still... I'd rather keep the remains of my rosy visions about him than read any of his books. I'd be a lousy Gelugpa anyway.

But well, I'm always looking for The Perfect Spiritual Book. So perhaps I'd just shut up and throw my money at "'The Secret"....

• I know few books that have saved my life but its only in other language, there are no English translations yet. Its called "Treatment of Life". The snim(monk) who wrote this book also wrote "Secret of 0.5 second", which I haven't read yet, I am looking forward to reading that one too.

• Liesl918Liesl918 Greenville, Ohio New

I am enjoying and would recommend "Happiness: A Guide to Developing Life's Most Important Skill" by Matthieu Ricard and "Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain and Illness" by Jon Kabat-Zinn and Thich Nhat Hanh.

• ExNihiloExNihilo Denver, C.O New

Darhma Bums by Kerouac is great.

So is Siddhartha by Hesse.

I like Deepk Chopras book on the Buddha and his books about Christ.

Especially The Third Jesus.

I am currently reading John Powers Introduction to Tibetan Buddism.

I like it.

• WMStanfordWMStanford Spring, TX New

Hello all, I am reading over your comments, and have to ask / say, it appears that a lot of these books are from various, "sects" of Buddhism. Please forgive the use of the term "sect" just not sure if that is the correct adjective or not, I mean no disrespect. I bring this up, as if there are many different sects, can I take from that, the beginning steps on ones path, no matter what "sect" one chooses, will be primarily the same? I have been looking over the number of different forms of the practice and some of them appear to be quite different on the way to reach enlightenment. I haven't even read my first book to take me on my journey, so please understand I am only asking as a student.

Be well, All.

• newlotusnewlotus Australia Explorer

@federica - I lived in France for a while! There is a great english book shop near Concord (where everyone was beheaded) Sorry for the graphic reference :/ The store was called WH Smith. Me and my doggy used to visit there every week!
    I buy most of my books from book depository. Very cheap, (cheaper than amazon) with free delivery world wide. They are fantastic! I usually buy a steady stream. Once one arrives, I order a new one. So by the time that book is finished the new book arrives. Perfect system! And I can buy them in my Pj's lol
    www.bookdepository.com

• BenjaminBenjamin England Explorer

'The Art of Happiness' by the Dalai Lama and 'the heart of the Buddhas teachings' by Thich Naht Hanh

IchLiebte
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Benjamin said:
    'The Art of Happiness' by the Dalai Lama and 'the heart of the Buddhas teachings' by Thich Naht Hanh

The Art of Happiness is the book that started me on this journey. Good call!

Benjamin
  • BenjaminBenjamin England Explorer

@Bunks It started my journey too! A very valuable book indeed :)

Bunks
  • Namaste.
    I just finished reading the heart of the Buddhas teachings by Thich Naht Hanh and this is why I'm posting here. :)
    Amazing book that I highly recommend.

RuddyDuck9
  • IchLiebteIchLiebte US Veteran

@WMStanford said:
    Hello all, I am reading over your comments, and have to ask / say, it appears that a lot of these books are from various, "sects" of Buddhism. Please forgive the use of the term "sect" just not sure if that is the correct adjective or not, I mean no disrespect. I bring this up, as if there are many different sects, can I take from that, the beginning steps on ones path, no matter what "sect" one chooses, will be primarily the same? I have been looking over the number of different forms of the practice and some of them appear to be quite different on the way to reach enlightenment. I haven't even read my first book to take me on my journey, so please understand I am only asking as a student.

Be well, All.

Shyly raises hand I agree, this can be intimidating. I think the first page mentioned The Miracle of Mindfulness by Thich Nhat Hanh. It is a really good "first book" without much definition by "sect", in my opinion. I am confused about different canons, however, and I'd like to second this post. (For example, Pali canon scares me because I've been studying Tibetan.)

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Once you know your mind is an unread book, you might be less inclined to sit with it unopened or prefer to shut down its incessant requirement to be filled with personalised scribblings ...

... and now back to the reading circle ...

RuddyDuck9

Does anyone know of some books on the mother Buddha Tara? I have had trouble finding anything and some help would be appreciated :)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2016

@newlotus said:
    Does anyone know of some books on the mother Buddha Tara? I have had trouble finding anything and some help would be appreciated :)

http://www.tibetanlanguage.org/bookstore/tara.html

And online:
    chrome-extension://bpmcpldpdmajfigpchkicefoigmkfalc/views/app.html

SnowLeopard3
  • LadyLou99LadyLou99 USA New
    edited July 2016

I just picked up a new book at the local bookstore yesterday. I thought I could use a bit of reading. Plus I really enjoy nonfiction titles (I'm a weirdo) :P But if you are looking for something to read I would recommend it. I'm on page 20 or so but it's pretty informative and interesting at the same time. It's a remake of the Bodhisattva. There's an introduction by the 14th Dalai Lama and another intro by (I think) the revisors. It is put in semi-simple English so it's easier to comprehend and has been rewritten twice to be sure that it carries the exact message. Anyways, here's a pic:

DairyLama

So I found this pdf of "Old Path White Clouds" by Thich Nhat Hanh. I don't remember how it got on my laptop. Has anyone read this?

Oh, yes, it's favoured reading of quite a few members.

IchLiebte
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Yep, my personal favorite - (OPWC by TNH). <3

IchLiebte

I have a few new books:
    Wisdom Energy; basic buddhist teachings by Lama Yeshe @ Lama Zopa Rinpoche.
    Why is the dalai lama always smiling by Lama Tsomo

Yay! I'll probably begin reading this mysteriously begotten book this weekend. I've been stress reading.

newlotus
  • Maybe this book has already been mentioned here (I haven't trawled through all the posts in this thread, in a bit of a rush this morning ) but has anyone read Leap like a tiger walk like a tortoise by Jampa Thaye, and, if so is it recommended?

• I've read The Dharma of Star Wars and I liked that. Buddhism for Dudes is good too

• HozanHozan Veteran

Hi all, recommendations for reading material around starting and cultivating and maintaining a daily meditation practice.
    Thank you.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited March 2017

If you have a local library try that. I think the 'Dummys guide' series is excellent 'Dummies guide to meditation'. Very good advice.

Keep it simple.
    http://m.wikihow.com/Meditate-for-Beginners

My meditation page might be of interest ...
    http://cundi.weebly.com/meditation.html

Hozan

Am in the throes of reading Viktor Frankl's 'Man's search for Meaning'. Not as harrowing as i feared, but nourishing and Hope-ful. Recommended. I have purchased a copy for my Mother for Christmas.
    I will post back when I begin "Fire under the Snow"... That, I fear, will be altogether a different story. Quite literally.

Lee82
  • Buddha-DudeBuddha-Dude Canada Explorer

I found “Mastering the Core Teaching of The Buddha” by Daniel Ingram, a pretty powerful and educational read. It kinda kicks starts the deeper complexity of Buddha’s teaching. Written frankly and to the point. It even has “mind maps” that map out various pathways to reaching enlightenment. There part of the book, however, is a fairly deeper and dense read.

• ERoseERose Earth, North America, west. Explorer

I like SuttaCentral.net with its numerous translations, tools for seeing what passages connect with others, and the essays and guides for sutta study. An into: https://suttacentral.net/introduction
    AccessToInsight also has a lot.

Everywhere though, there are strong opinions which can rub one the wrong way. :) My advice Don't Panic and take all opinions with a grain of salt; the Buddha advised all his disciples to verify, and to Let Go. views which do not lead to equanimity and liberation.

I enjoy the writings (and recored dhamma talks) of Ajahn Brahm, Ajahn Bramali, Ajahn Sumedho, Jack Kornfield, Sylvia Boorstein, among others.

federicalobsterColinA
  • justushobbitsjustushobbits Virginia New

My favorite Book for a beginners guide to Buddhism is “What that Buddha taught” by Walpola Rahula. It gives a very crisp, concise outline of the heart of the Buddha’s teachings. I try to reread it once a year.

• justushobbitsjustushobbits Virginia New
    edited March 2019

@ERose said:

I enjoy the writings (and recored dhamma talks) of Ajahn Brahm, Ajahn Bramali, Ajahn Sumedho, Jack Kornfield, Sylvia Boorstein, among others.

That’s a very good list , I could also add Ajahn Chah, Joseph Goldstein, and Tara Brach among others, but great list...

ERose