Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

why does the Dalai Lama not want me to be Buddhist??

edited February 2012 in Buddhism Basics
he advises us to stay in the religion of our culture...why??? I don't want to be Catholic nor do the Catholics lol

Comments

• Where did you get this, @steviedean? Please post a link. This would be a new tack for him. (I guess we'll just have to close all the Buddhist centers in the West, and send all the teachers and masters home.)
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I think rather that he advises people to become clear about their own habits, beliefs, philosophies and whatever all else. This is what honest Buddhists do. What is intimately within is the proper fodder for practicing Buddhists.
  • edited February 2012
    in a book called "A Profound Mind" but this is not the first time I have heard this from him...first time I heard him say it was in a youtube video
  • What are his reasons for saying this? Does he really mean for all the monks, lamas, rinpoches and so forth to pack up and go back to Asia?
  • HHDL probably wants to do his best to make the world a better place. He knows that all religions promote good ethical values despite their limitations. I agree with him too. There is no reason people to switch their religion. They can stick to good moral values and should focus on being a decent person. Every religion has wonderful teachings in them. Buddhism is not easy. Particularly the concepts such as emptiness, non-self etc. Hard to carry for many. HHDL also said that only if a person insist to become a Buddhist then he should be converted - he thinks people who insist on converting to Buddhism may have karmic connections to Buddhism.
  • You have to ask him.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    what @zen_world said. Religious conversion can cause confusion. HHDL's view is that all religions can help people become better people. When he makes the statement the OP is referring to he also says that in certain instances there are people who feel an inclination to Buddhism and for them conversion is fine. Overall I think his message is one of religious pluralism and non evangelizing.
  • HHDL definitely has a great attitude toward religious diversity. But what about people who were raised in non-religious families and discover an inclination toward Eastern religions? There's also the matter of whether or not Buddhism is a religion at all. One of the aspects of Buddhism that appeals to Westerners is its non-theistic nature, and its logic. If we don't define it as religion, does that mean there's a loophole in HH's directive?
  • An extract from a book of his.

"Generally speaking, I believe that all major world religions have the potential to serve humanity and deveolp good human beings. By "good" or "nice", I don't mean that people look good; I mean that they have a good and more compassionate heart. This is why I always say that it is better to follow one's own traditional religion, because by changing religion you may eventually find emotional or intellectual difficulties. For example, in the west the traditional religious culture is Christian, so it may be better for you to follow that.
    However, for those of you who really feel that your traditional religion is not effective for you, and for those who are radical atheists, then the buddhist way of explaining things may hold some attraction. Maybe in this case it is all right to follow Buddhism - generally, I think it is better to have some kind of religious training than none at all. "
  • from the horses mouth...perfect :)
  • edited February 2012
    However, for those of you who really feel that your traditional religion is not effective for you, and for those who are radical atheists, then the buddhist way of explaining things may hold some attraction. Maybe in this case it is all right to follow Buddhism - generally, I think it is better to have some kind of religious training than none at all. "
    This part contradicts the first half, though. There are quite a few people in the West for whom their traditional religion isn't effective, or doesn't make sense. Hence the demand for so many Buddhist centers. HHDL is saying it's best to follow your cultural tradition, but if you don't like it, it's ok to join a foreign tradition. Either way, you're good to go, @steviedean.
  • I think that I have found that a part of the compasstionate path for me has meant that rather than totally rejecting how I was raised I have integrated the both. That means maybe not a pure buddhism however I have great respect for the tradition i was raised in. What you reject and react against has just as much power as what you cling to.

I knew by 13 however that I was not in the religion that ultimately answered my questions. i could not imagine going to our pastor with the questions I had even in my 13-16 year old self. I did however get introduced to meditation through my liberal church.

here is my personal perspective, I find that often people who are not in strong understanding of buddhism, maybe non buddhists who know something from the outside, make automatic western/christian assumptions. I have been recommended to 'pray to buddha' at times like my foreclosure and I didn't know where I was going to live. Then when I found perfect housing thesame person told me buddha answered my prayers. It was more of a buddha face on a jesus concept. I feel that is part of what HHDL is saying in conversion, it is hard to live with a foundation that does not match your outside culture. I do struggle with the times when I feel very out of touch or misunderstood in western culture, just about the time I am getting the hang of something for awhile
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Going back to the DL.

I wonder if, in his wisdom, he is questioning the reasons that various people become Buddhist (or switch to any other religion).

For example, I was raised a Methodist on my mother's side of my family (my parents were divorced). But, when my father came home on leave, it's get a taste of the Catholic religion. And there eventually came a time that I decided to become Catholic. Let's see...now why did I do that? A little sense of rebellion. Wanting to emulate my best friend in high school. Wanting to identify with my father's side of the family. Wanting to taste the mystery of the incense and the clanging bells on the altar, etc. Although some of these reasons may have been logical, they were still not good reasons for changing from one religion to another.

On the other hand, when I came under the influence of Buddhism, it was for a much more sensible reason. It was my second trip to Thailand, and as I traveled around the country, I began to wonder what made these people who had so little, seem so content with life. Obviously, it had something to do with Buddhism, so I began to visit more and more temples, read more on the topic, and so forth.

But, in my lifetime, of the people I have known who changed religions, as often as not, it's been for a...well...not so good reason. Perhaps the DL sees a lot of people changing religions for the wrong reasons.
  • Lama Surya Das says that as buddhists it is good to pray to Jesus if you wish. If it is a non-intellectual expression. This may connect you with inspiration and the goodness of your heart. If Jesus connnects you more with love than buddha why not? You can still study the teachings and meditate.
  • Hmm, I can agree with that praying. I have a thing for the deep ritual of Catholic/Orthodox services. I was not raised that way so I have no baggage around the doctrine which is nice. Incense and kneeling and holy water all fascinate me. In fact next week i will get to go to a full mass (for a funeral) and I hate to say i am excited since it is for a death, but I kinda am.
  • HHDL don't like gays niether.
  • The way I hear him is that if your religion works for you, then there is no reason to change, especially considering that your culture supports it... religion generally adopts the idea that compassion is necessary... but if your religion is not working then Buddhism may be helpful. Makes sense to me.
  • @Iktomi, how are the fish biting?
  • An extract from a book of his.

"Generally speaking, I believe that all major world religions have the potential to serve humanity and deveolp good human beings. By "good" or "nice", I don't mean that people look good; I mean that they have a good and more compassionate heart. This is why I always say that it is better to follow one's own traditional religion, because by changing religion you may eventually find emotional or intellectual difficulties. For example, in the west the traditional religious culture is Christian, so it may be better for you to follow that.
    I am one of the latter, the difference being I was not raised with any "religion" or spirituality at all. I sought and found on my own. Intellectually and morally it appealed to me.

Also, having seen HHDL speak in in DC he is very pointed in saying words to the effect of :

Do not claim to be a Buddhist, and then not follow the path, it is not a badge to be worn just to make yourself look better to others. He uses the word hypocrisy in there as well.

That was back in 2005, and trust me, he will intimidate the hell out of you and make you feel like a bad Buddhist. Even in a large auditorium! As kind, loving and playful as he seems, his words are powerful and well thought out. Don't mess with His Holiness!

Re: homosexuality (Taken from Wikipedia):

In a 1994 interview with OUT Magazine, the Dalai Lama explained "If someone comes to me and asks whether homosexuality is okay or not, I will ask 'What is your companion's opinion?'. If you both agree, then I think I would say 'if two males or two females voluntarily agree to have mutual satisfaction without further implication of harming others, then it is okay'".[71] However, in his 1996 book Beyond Dogma, he clearly states, "A sexual act is deemed proper when the couples use the organs intended for sexual intercourse and nothing else....Homosexuality, whether it is between men or between women, is not improper in itself. What is improper is the use of organs already defined as inappropriate for sexual contact."[72] He has said that sex spelled fleeting satisfaction and trouble later, while chastity offered a better life and "more independence, more freedom".[73] He says that problems arising from conjugal life could even lead to suicide or murder.[74] The Dalai Lama has said that all religions have the same idea about adultery.[75]

But as someone in that other thread posted, he was a baby when thrust into a sheltered life, made to study highly antiquated texts, and with no experience of the greater world, only that which he read or was schooled on...by older,more "experienced" monastics - who were likely as sheltered as he was.

When teaching about hearsay rather than first hand experience it is quite difficult to apply. Also it is hard, if not impossible to apply to the lay practitioners, since if chastity is preferable how could we continue to populate? It would seem that in his quest to enlighten all beings he forgets or dismisses the fact that it MUST happen. I dunno.

My feelings are that Buddha may also not have agreed with homosexuality, but would agree with love between two people. Love trumps that, I would think.
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited February 2012
    @steviedean - guess what? - one of the three times I have seen HHDL in the last two years in California he actually taught exactly what you have suggested. My take was that he felt that maybe Buddhism is not for everyone - Asian cultures are largely born as Buddhists - Western cultures are largely born Christian. He sort of suggested that maybe the most natural thing is to adhere to the spirituality of your culture because it has root significance. He was very clear that adopting Buddhism was pretty much alright with him for all cultures - but being the compassionate dude he is he seemed to be looking out for everyone - you know? I think he didn't want his message of compassion and loving kindness and education to be lost on Christians who might be afraid they are worshiping false gods or some such nonsense by participating. Basically he was advising - no harm, no foul - if you want to explore Buddhism.
  • edited February 2012
    I think he's probably just being diplomatic when giving talks in Christian counties, or when writing books for the western market, so that he doesn't appear to be trying to convert people to another religion.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2012
    HH the DL has become experienced in straddling two worlds all his life.
    Politics and Religion.
    Tradition and humanitarianism.
    Simple Monk and Icon of Tibetans - and others.

His path has hitherto been a torturous one, and not one many world political leaders have ever had to experience themselves.

There will doubtless have been times when one world has clashed with and contradicted the other.
    This is not to say he always gets it 'right'... (and just what IS right, to everybody's satisfaction?)

But he does try to use the wisdom he has been taught to use, in appropriate ways, and to understand that this is a world largely in turmoil, for many reasons.... and that for these many reasons, countless thousands are seeking refuge from that turmoil.

Can't be easy, being HH the DL.... But I think he's doing the best he can, with the tools he's been given.
  • @Hurbis I was raised in a similar fashion in the sense I was not shown any religion or made to do anything of that nature. My dad is even a bit racist. I guess they decided to let me decided where I want to take things, thank god (not literally).

I really agree with what telly posted somehwere up there ^^^
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    HHDL says alot of things sometimes you just have to Ignore him, Not everything he says has great spiritual value if you want to become a Buddhist go ahead if you are prepared to drop most of what you have learnt as a catholic.
  • HH the DL has become experienced in straddling two worlds all his life.
    Politics and Religion.
    Tradition and humanitarianism.
    Simple Monk and Icon of Tibetans - and others.

His path has hitherto been a torturous one, and not one many world political leaders have ever had to experience themselves.

There will doubtless have been times when one world has clashed with and contradicted the other.
    This is not to say he always gets it 'right'... (and just what IS right, to everybody's satisfaction?)

But he does try to use the wisdom he has been taught to use, in appropriate ways, and to understand that this is a world largely in turmoil, for many reasons.... and that for these many reasons, countless thousands are seeking refuge from that turmoil.

Can't be easy, being HH the DL.... But I think he's doing the best he can, with the tools he's been given.
    Bingo! The Dalai Lama is both a religious figure and a political leader trying to keep and expand support for his government in exile. Being political means having to be very careful not to cause conflict with potential allies, especially ones with large populations that have strong religious beliefs of their own. Any statement supporting converting to Buddhism will cause a backlash across competing religions.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    HHDL don't like gays niether.
    When are you going to stop talking out of your ass?
    ;)
  • I didn't think one needed to "convert" to Buddhism anyway.
    At the risk of being repetitive and/or self-serving, here is a small story:

Once upon a time, I would instruct newcomers at a particular Zen center. The group would meet once a week for six months or so, go over ritual, chants and whatever other format material was necessary. After the six months, students could elect to become zendo members. Most did not.

I instructed such classes four or five times and it was in one of those classes that I met a woman who seemed to be in her late thirties or early forties. A single look at the woman was enough to tell you -- "she's Irish." Anyway, the 'Irish' woman and I became chums and she told me that she had recently left the Catholic Church: There were 'issues' with the beliefs and demands of the church, so she quit. But it was clear from her recitation that she missed the Catholic Church and I began riding her case -- "Why don't you just go back?" I might ask. "Oh, I couldn't do that," she might say, "I don't agree with them." This conversation took place several times in slightly different ways. Finally I said to her, "How old are you?" And after she told me, I asked, "Are you an adult?" She seemed to agree that she was. "Then why don't you go back to church and take nourishment from what YOU find appealing and leave the other stuff to the church?" She didn't like hearing that. There were authorities, dontcha know ... priests and nuns and popes and all the rest. She couldn't just waltz in with her own, lonely self. But I kept needling her and needling her. Take the wheat, leave the chaff. But she was still on a chaff diet -- imagining that what someone else said was the One True Yardstick of Catholicism. I needled, she balked.

After six months, the class was over. When the zendo reopened, the "Irish" woman was no place in sight. There was nothing unusual in that -- most people are not cut out to practice Zen -- but I wondered what ever happened to her.

And then one day, walking down a street in New York City -- a city of eight of ten million people -- there she was, walking towards me from a distance of about fifty feet. Our eyes met and it was clear we recognized eachother. When, at last, we stood in front of eachother, she threw her arms around my neck and thanked me. She had returned to the church that touched her heart ... but this time as an adult.

I was really happy for her. And, I have to admit shamelessly, I was proud of myself.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I'd have sparked you out.

with compassion, of course..... ;)
  • he advises us to stay in the religion of our culture...why???
    why? because the initiated buddhists are not telling you the entire picture or all the story - his path is to show you compassion and love and not to teach you everything Buddha said - it is not to tell you how it really is but rather to use the knowledge to lessen your suffering! The most compassionate things is to tell you to stay in your culture as that causes the least suffering to you - if you motivate yourself then so be it, noone is stopping you - the tendency has been for the west to view buddhism as this super-religion of serenity and peace etc etc... false expectations lead to more suffering.
    I'd have sparked you out.

with compassion, of course..... ;)
    @federica -- Not to worry ... I 'sparked' myself out. Everyone's got to grow up at some point.
  • I've never heard him say flat-out "don't convert." It's always in context, and I find it interesting that, like so many other dharma approaches, he advises different paths for different people.

I've always heard a three-level suggestion from him: 1) don't rush to abandon your current religion "just because," 2) if considering a change, examine both religions closely, and 3) if you do decide Buddhism is better for you, don't fall into the habit of regularly criticizing your old religion.

I know it could sound to some as if he's trying to keep you away--that's not it at all. I believe he's just providing a "whoa, Nellie," so we stop and think before making big decisions.

Buddhism is big on reasoned faith rather than blind faith. You should adopt Buddhism after examining it and coming to multiple, solid conclusions as to why it serves you better; that way your faith in it--which is really your faith in yourself--will be stronger.

It's not unlike switching jobs; if you are absolutely convinced a different job is better for you, after examining it really carefully, your chances of finding happiness in it are far greater.

• The part about not slagging your old faith is important, I think, unless what you come from was legitimately dangerous or harmful. It's good to be able to peacefully coexist with others, and not take every chance to point out the flaws of the poor, benighted ______ists/ians. Grace, compassion, and kindess can be found in many faiths. Religious wars are tiresome and counterproductive.
    When it comes to long- and dearly-held tenets, I think the old bumper sticker is very informative: "Don't believe everything you think."
  • Do people "convert" to Buddhism? Buddhism just kind of sneaks up on you, and then there you are, ringing a little bell and sitting very still.

"I am now no longer a Catholic.... I am now......a Buddhist" That is a bit queazy. Buddhist proselytizing...? No thanks.
  • "Don't believe everything you think."
    Yes, most of it's complete rubbish anyway.

Spiny :p
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    I've never heard him say flat-out "don't convert." It's always in context, and I find it interesting that, like so many other dharma approaches, he advises different paths for different people.

I've always heard a three-level suggestion from him: 1) don't rush to abandon your current religion "just because," 2) if considering a change, examine both religions closely, and 3) if you do decide Buddhism is better for you, don't fall into the habit of regularly criticizing your old religion.
    This has always been my understanding regarding his "don't convert" comment. He has expounded on this many, many times. A simple Google search will clarify.

One of my favorite HH Dalai Lama quotes: "People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."

• I heard HHDL say in a talk that we should "respect other religions, but have faith in your own." A Tibetan student asked if it was acceptable to "pray to Jesus." He said that, in general, Buddhists might feel a deep respect towards other figures; however, praying is generally something that is done toward a figure whose tenets you personally share. If you have more faith in the tenets of Jesus, then, perhaps your path actually should be Christian. If you have more faith in the tenets of a Buddhist teacher, then it's logical to direct prayers to that figure or more accurately to the tenets held by that teacher, which are also your own. So it's not that it's wrong in any way to "pray to Jesus," just that you want to examine closely your reasons for doing it.

This is such a great example of the contrast between the religions, I think--in the west we may have this feeling of, "Many masters are good, many religions are good, why not express love for any teacher we feel like," which is fine--there's nothing wrong with expressing it--but to a Buddhist, praying is not just a general expression of a feeling of love or devotion to an external figure, but rather a statement of your own conclusions and beliefs. Somewhat different, and I find the contrast very interesting.
  • conradcookconradcook Veteran
    edited February 2012
    But as someone in that other thread posted, he was a baby when thrust into a sheltered life, made to study highly antiquated texts, and with no experience of the greater world, only that which he read or was schooled on...by older,more "experienced" monastics - who were likely as sheltered as he was.
    Hey, has HHDL said anything about the tantric stuff? Is he an authority on that?

Conrad.
    HHDL says alot of things sometimes you just have to Ignore him, Not everything he says has great spiritual value if you want to become a Buddhist go ahead if you are prepared to drop most of what you have learnt as a catholic.
    I am not a particular follower of the DL, but if you're a Buddhist I think he is one voice you ought to at least consider...not just simply "ignore him". No, not "everything he says has great spiritual value"...but then again, no man or woman speaks constantly in only a spiritual manner.

To be honest, I think the way you've written your comment is just dismissive of a spiritual leader with whom you don't happen to agree. His teachings deserve thought and contemplation before simply being discarded.

Bingo! The Dalai Lama is both a religious figure and a political leader trying to keep and expand support for his government in exile. Being political means having to be very careful not to cause conflict with potential allies, especially ones with large populations that have strong religious beliefs of their own. Any statement supporting converting to Buddhism will cause a backlash across competing religions.
    Or, he believes what he says.

I didn't think one needed to "convert" to Buddhism anyway.

"if you think like a Buddhist and act like a Buddhist, the you are a Buddhist." -- A Thai monk's response when I specifically ask how to convert to Buddhism.

:thumbsup:
    At the risk of being repetitive and/or self-serving, here is a small story:

Once upon a time, I would instruct newcomers at a particular Zen center. The group would meet once a week for six months or so, go over ritual, chants and whatever other format material was necessary. After the six months, students could elect to become zendo members. Most did not.

I instructed such classes four or five times and it was in one of those classes that I met a woman who seemed to be in her late thirties or early forties. A single look at the woman was enough to tell you -- "she's Irish." Anyway, the 'Irish' woman and I became chums and she told me that she had recently left the Catholic Church: There were 'issues' with the beliefs and demands of the church, so she quit. But it was clear from her recitation that she missed the Catholic Church and I began riding her case -- "Why don't you just go back?" I might ask. "Oh, I couldn't do that," she might say, "I don't agree with them." This conversation took place several times in slightly different ways. Finally I said to her, "How old are you?" And after she told me, I asked, "Are you an adult?" She seemed to agree that she was. "Then why don't you go back to church and take nourishment from what YOU find appealing and leave the other stuff to the church?" She didn't like hearing that. There were authorities, dontcha know ... priests and nuns and popes and all the rest. She couldn't just waltz in with her own, lonely self. But I kept needling her and needling her. Take the wheat, leave the chaff. But she was still on a chaff diet -- imagining that what someone else said was the One True Yardstick of Catholicism. I needled, she balked.

After six months, the class was over. When the zendo reopened, the "Irish" woman was no place in sight. There was nothing unusual in that -- most people are not cut out to practice Zen -- but I wondered what ever happened to her.

And then one day, walking down a street in New York City -- a city of eight of ten million people -- there she was, walking towards me from a distance of about fifty feet. Our eyes met and it was clear we recognized eachother. When, at last, we stood in front of eachother, she threw her arms around my neck and thanked me. She had returned to the church that touched her heart ... but this time as an adult.

I was really happy for her. And, I have to admit shamelessly, I was proud of myself.
    I really appreciate that story.

When I returned to the States a couple of years ago, after living in Thailand, I decided I wanted some Christian influence in my life...not instead of Buddhism, but in addition to Buddhism. Since I had once been a Catholic, I tried going back to Mass occasionally. But, after a couple of visits, I just couldn't. Not because of little problems here and there, because I could -- as you suggested -- separate the wheat from the chaff. But, the whole issue of confession -- one of the most important and basic sacraments of the church -- is something I cannot agree with. Not because I don't wanna go...been there, done that. But because it is a Catholic principle that separates the rest of the spiritual world from the Catholic Church, and says if you don't do it, then you cannot have a valid spiritual life.

So I think it depends on whether one has to seek the wheat from the chaff, or one is forced to accept only 100% whole wheat bread when it makes one sick to their stomach.

:thumbup:
    I've never heard him say flat-out "don't convert." It's always in context, and I find it interesting that, like so many other dharma approaches, he advises different paths for different people.

I know it could sound to some as if he's trying to keep you away--that's not it at all. I believe he's just providing a "whoa, Nellie," so we stop and think before making big decisions.

Buddhism is big on reasoned faith rather than blind faith. You should adopt Buddhism after examining it and coming to multiple, solid conclusions as to why it serves you better; that way your faith in it--which is really your faith in yourself--will be stronger.

It's not unlike switching jobs; if you are absolutely convinced a different job is better for you, after examining it really carefully, your chances of finding happiness in it are far greater.

Excellent approach to the matter.

• jlljll Veteran
    Do you know that the dalai lama
    is the leader of only 1 sect in the tibetan
    tradition of Buddhism??
    So I would say his opinion does not represent
    all of buddhism.
    he advises us to stay in the religion of our culture...why??? I don't want to be Catholic nor do the Catholics lol
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    "if you think like a Buddhist and act like a Buddhist, the you are a Buddhist." -- A Thai monk's response when I specifically ask how to convert to Buddhism.
    :thumbsup:
    What's the difference between a Buddhist and a non-Buddhist?

The non-Buddhist thinks there's a difference. :)

I am not a particular follower of the DL, but if you're a Buddhist I think he is one voice you ought to at least consider...not just simply "ignore him". No, not "everything he says has great spiritual value"...but then again, no man or woman speaks constantly in only a spiritual manner.

To be honest, I think the way you've written your comment is just dismissive of a spiritual leader with whom you don't happen to agree. His teachings deserve thought and contemplation before simply being discarded.

He isnt a Pope, He isnt even the leader of his own sect. Some of the issues he has spoken on in the past he has no buisness involving himself in yet people blindly follow his advise without checking the validity of its meaning, Primarily people see him as a spiritual leader but he plays a great deal in politics as well. So taking what he says on face value isnt always wise and sometimes yes it is just best to Ignore him as his politics and religion are very much mixed.

He isnt a Pope, He isnt even the leader of his own sect. Some of the issues he has spoken on in the past he has no buisness involving himself in yet people blindly follow his advise without checking the validity of its meaning, Primarily people see him as a spiritual leader but he plays a great deal in politics as well. So taking what he says on face value isnt always wise and sometimes yes it is just best to Ignore him as his politics and religion are very much mixed.
    Please don't take my words to the extreme. I said, "I am not a particular follower of the DL, but if you're a Buddhist I think he is one voice you ought to at least consider...not just simply "ignore him"." You responded with, "Some of the issues he has spoken on in the past he has no buisness involving himself in yet people blindly follow his advise without checking the validity of its meaning" and "taking what he says on face value isnt always wise."

Considering the position in which he has been for most of his life, how could his politics and religion not be mixed. And what ultimately authoritative voice ever said there should be no mixing of politics and religion?

Why should one consider the advise of HHDL ? There are plenty of other reputable teachers out there who are free from politics, Worldly concerns such as an intermix of politics and religion cause degeneration of Buddhadharma it is only an example to look on those who believe His Holiness advise to be infaliable and him to be a manifestation of Chenrezig and yet they forget his words are intertwined with the politics of the day, such advise would not be well spoken or well followed so one has to be able to discern his true intentions and meanings, For those unable to it is simple better to Ignore him.