Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

War serving a greater purpose?

ZaylZayl Veteran
edited February 2012 in Buddhism Basics
Now just hear me out.

Throwing all political agendas aside, and focusing just on war itself, armed and vicious combat. I believe that it presents our species as a whole with lessons that we may need to survive as a whole. I think that War will only be banished from the face of this world if we learn all of the painful lessons and mistakes it has to offer. But beyond that, I think it is helping forge an iron will and constitution within our species that will not only help us survive the immediate trials of war. But also may help us survive natural disasters or other tragic events. I don't know about you, but during an earthquake I would put more trust in the soldier that has had his body and mind forged in the fires of war rather than some librarian or nurse during an initial rescue effort. Think about it, not only would the soldier be more accustomed to pain both physical and mental, he would be more resistant to giving into panic or disgust, and may be more willing to go that extra mile. Not to mention he would be physically more adept at the task. Something like that scenario is a short-term version of what I think War might present our race over generations. It will make us stronger and more sound over time. And when the day finally comes when War is no longer needed on our planet, we would be left with these benefits.

Granted the cost would be dire but you know what they say... to make an omelette... Perhaps I am being callous or naive, maybe both. But when it comes right down to it, the long term goals and benefits that are possible to gain, is war really so bad?

When these changes both physical and mental are ingrained into our species and passed down the generations even after war itself is gone, would that not make the tragedy of war worthwhile?

Comments

• Well it hasn't stopped us from reaching a record high population. It probably contributed to it. So for better or worse you could say that it has made us what we are.
  • It depends. Thucidydes said that "War is the father of us all," meaning that nations, peoples, and cultures either exist or no longer exist as a result of war. I think saying that war for the sake of "making us fit for worse events in the future" is pretty absurd, and amoral. And war will never be banished from the face of the earth, just as brawls, theft, and murder will never be banished. It's a part of the human DNA. If someone believes that God has ordained slaughter on his behalf, he will not be convinced to the contrary.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    Fuck war
  • Fuck war
    How eloquent! Care to elaborate?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2012
    War is just part of the possible causes and conditions for a resilient mind to extreme situations. Evolutionary and environmentally. Then there is that buzzword, sustainability. How do we get to a place where the inertia of war calms down? So the question is what are the causes and conditions of war?
  • GuiGui Veteran
    Fuck war
    How eloquent! Care to elaborate?
    Not really. That pretty much sums up what I think about war. I'm sick of it. Really sick of it. The atrocities. The lies. The fear. The bravado. The glory. Fuck it all.
  • I don't know about you, but during an earthquake I would put more trust in the soldier that has had his body and mind forged in the fires of war rather than some librarian or nurse during an initial rescue effort. Think about it, not only would the soldier be more accustomed to pain both physical and mental, he would be more resistant to giving into panic or disgust, and may be more willing to go that extra mile. Not to mention he would be physically more adept at the task.
    let me get this straight:
    to be able to "help" part of the population better during a disaster,
    we take the soldiers, and get them to murder part of said population.

does it really worth it to you?

if it's not the murdering that makes them better at responding during natural disasters, then maybe it's the "surviving" ?
    I don't think war is necessary in this case.
    All you have to do is get a bunch of people and train them like soldiers.
    have them ship in precarious situations in the middle of the jungle where they will need to survive by themselves if you need to.

but all silliness aside, i think that all you need is to get the soldiers to go and help during natural disasters when it happen wherever in the world, if what you want is soldiers who are good at doing that.
  • But beyond that, I think it is helping forge an iron will and constitution within our species that will not only help us survive the immediate trials of war. But also may help us survive natural disasters or other tragic events. I don't know about you, but during an earthquake I would put more trust in the soldier that has had his body and mind forged in the fires of war rather than some librarian or nurse during an initial rescue effort. Think about it, not only would the soldier be more accustomed to pain both physical and mental, he would be more resistant to giving into panic or disgust, and may be more willing to go that extra mile. Not to mention he would be physically more adept at the task. Something like that scenario is a short-term version of what I think War might present our race over generations. It will make us stronger and more sound over time. And when the day finally comes when War is no longer needed on our planet, we would be left with these benefits.
    This is brilliant stuff. I actually agree with you.

War can condition a person to be resilient, tolerant, dependable, strong, and capable of so much more than one who had experienced nothing of it; it can bring out the very best in us, but also the very worst. Where is it, I ask, the proper conduit through which a soldier should be raised from whence they would become an upstanding citizen of the world, instead of a single country?
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I guess I disagree with the OP IF I really understand what he is saying. Is he saying that in war, soldiers learn to be great leaders?

If so, possibly true, but you can make great leaders in any number of ways. Doesn't have to be through wars.

At one time, many school principals had been gym teachers, because there was the feeling that gym teachers best knew how to lead sports teams.
  • @Zayl,

I think what is missing from your analysis is the question: what problems are we facing as humankind? Or if you also care for animals and nature: what problems is our planet facing? If you have not answered this question, I think you cannot conclude much about what will benefit humankind, and what will not. If you do answer this question, then you might estimate to what extent war alleviates our problems, or makes things worse. Then we can have a proper discussion :)
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited February 2012
    Well I am not too well versed on the specifics of course, but I think the cut and dry obvious ones for the planet would be overpopulation, climate change, pollution, lack of fresh water, and so on and so forth.

And I am not talking about the killing aspect of war at all. I am talking about the survival aspect as well as the physical and mental training aspects that must arise in soldiers if they are to survive one of the most consistently dangerous situations on the planet.

@KnightofBuddha

I also think it is a little sad that you think in the billions upon billions of years our species has the potential to live in we will not eliminate the need for war, at least amongst our species. I think the changes the environment of war may bring to the bodies and minds of humanity may very well one day serve to aid us instead of harming us.
    -----------------------
    Ideally, one day thousands, maybe tens of thousands of years from now the average human would have the body and iron will of a soldier, the intellect of a scholar, and the compassion of a monk. And yes I do mean "Ideally" in the true definition of the word, and I am aware that this may never happen exactly as I feel it will. I also firmly believe that not all soldiers are mindless trained killing machines. And quite frankly, who would you rather have try to rescue you from a collapsed building? A soldier, or some random bystander? Or would you rather wait and hope that emergency workers arrive and find you in time?

So again, it is not the ability to kill that I am valuing here at all. Rather it is the ability to have the physical fortitude, the mental acuity, and the constitution that is required to survive in the most extreme of conditions that may benefit our species one day, in ways it already is.
  • Op..I was going to say that I thought what you meant was the "survival" aspect of a soldier's training is in fact what you trust in worst scenario situatuons.

I had an irrational fear of being homeless and after surviving a huricane in the ghetto...I started researching extreme survival training on my own.

All I can say is that the fear is gone and if the time came I would be ready to bug out with my bob and whatever knowledge I acquired for having the foresight to take time to learn it.

• I'm not a soldier, I bake cookies and volunteer as most housewives...but I can swing a stick.

If and when catastrophe happens, I'm not waiting around to be saved. Those were the lessons learned of katrina, people dying in their homes waiting for help.
  • Only a good king can lead, and only a good philosopher should be king.

• @KnightofBuddha

I also think it is a little sad that you think in the billions upon billions of years our species has the potential to live in we will not eliminate the need for war, at least amongst our species. I think the changes the environment of war may bring to the bodies and minds of humanity may very well one day serve to aid us instead of harming us.
    -----------------------
    Ideally, one day thousands, maybe tens of thousands of years from now the average human would have the body and iron will of a soldier, the intellect of a scholar, and the compassion of a monk. And yes I do mean "Ideally" in the true definition of the word, and I am aware that this may never happen exactly as I feel it will. I also firmly believe that not all soldiers are mindless trained killing machines. And quite frankly, who would you rather have try to rescue you from a collapsed building? A soldier, or some random bystander? Or would you rather wait and hope that emergency workers arrive and find you in time?
    Well like George Orwell once complained, the great thing about being a reactionary and a pessimist is that you get to live your whole life saying "I told you so" to the utopians. The time we live in is considerably less violent than the world of previous centuries. This has much to do with the fact that the world features more liberal, capitalist democracies than ever before. Their continued spread and survival would at least push things in your direction.

I appreciate that you speak very well and kindly of soldiers and those who choose the profession of arms, and are not just automatons. Trust me, I'd trust a GI in most circumstances over any civilian.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@KnightofBuddha

-----------------------
    Well like George Orwell once complained, the great thing about being a reactionary and a pessimist is that you get to live your whole life saying "I told you so" to the utopians. The time we live in is considerably less violent than the world of previous centuries. This has much to do with the fact that the world features more liberal, capitalist democracies than ever before. Their continued spread and survival would at least push things in your direction.

I appreciate that you speak very well and kindly of soldiers and those who choose the profession of arms, and are not just automatons. Trust me, I'd trust a GI in most circumstances over any civilian.

I have to basically agree with KOB here.

Would we all like to see an end to war? Of course.

Has there been any evidence that that is in the offing? No, not one iota.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Just some speculation on my part, but I think developing the qualities of a soldier 'turn off' other also valuable qualities, empathy, compassion come to mind. If that's true then while a soldier maybe good at handling traumatic situations they may not be as good at handling other situations. So I don't know that war is necessarily a plus in an evolutionary perspective. In evolution any adaptation is neither inherently good or bad, they just fit with the surrounding conditions better or worse.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Sounds a lot like the "animal realm" of existence.
  • The Buddha was born into being a warrior-king. He decided to be a monk.
  • It depends. Thucidydes said that "War is the father of us all," meaning that nations, peoples, and cultures either exist or no longer exist as a result of war. I think saying that war for the sake of "making us fit for worse events in the future" is pretty absurd, and amoral. And war will never be banished from the face of the earth, just as brawls, theft, and murder will never be banished. It's a part of the human DNA. If someone believes that God has ordained slaughter on his behalf, he will not be convinced to the contrary.
    So you can see so far into the future where we may even have science to remove such genes that make us greedy and egotistic which result in wars? It will be people like you and thoughts like this that will one day prevent our species from advancing or may even come to be our very own demise. There are no winners in war, war is bred by at least 1 of the 3 poisons that the Buddha spoke of, at least 1. Why can our species not advance and advance beyond these primitive states?
  • Dont see any benefit in war - it is pointless material conflict.

I feel for soldiers - devoting their lives to the pursuit of ending life further to a greed-centric political agenda.

The fact that we continue to war is testament to our underdeveloped intellects - if we all stopped and considered that we are nestled on a rock in the middle of space with noone else (apparently) around us then surely we should all hug eachother and look after eachother as there is one earth and one humanity and this is it.

I would much rather be in the hands of a nurse than a soldier - I dont need to be conditioned to kill in order to survive - my body and brain are already hardwired to kill and I reject that through choice and reason.
  • I've seen war first hand and once you are there and see all the pain and suffering it causes, you will change your mind about thinking that the benefit that comes out of it is worth that cost.

While it might be true that someone trained for war is better prepared for survival than the average person, a warrior is trained above all else for the purpose of killing. Saying you think war is a benefit to human kind because of this byproduct is like saying cancer is good because it helps you lose weight.

I know people who have been elite warriors and now they cannot even function in normal society, because in normal everyday life being paranoid, hyper aggressive and ready to kill at a moments notice is called being "crazy", but in war it is what keeps you alive.

War has already evolved and escalated to the point were we can blow ourselves up with nuclear weapons over a 100 times over.

I think that the negative affects of war outweigh whatever benefit it produces .

Sorry if my writing comes off a little strong, but I don't mean any offense.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited February 2012
    I agree with HHDL:

Of course, war and the large military establishments are the greatest sources of violence in the world. Whether their purpose is defensive or offensive, these vast powerful organizations exist solely to kill human beings. We should think carefully about the reality of war. Most of us have been conditioned to regard military combat as exciting and glamorous - an opportunity for men to prove their competence and courage. Since armies are legal, we feel that war is acceptable; in general, nobody feels that war is criminal or that accepting it is criminal attitude. In fact, we have been brainwashed. War is neither glamorous nor attractive. It is monstrous. Its very nature is one of tragedy and suffering.

If you want to learn the lessons of war pick up a book not a gun?
  • Most of us have been conditioned to regard military combat as exciting and glamorous - an opportunity for men to prove their competence and courage.
    As a veteran of the war in Iraq, Bosnia, Kosovo, and years in Northern Ireland (hiding behind garden walls mostly), I can confirm that the old saying, "War is 99 percent sheer and utter boredom, and 1 percent of sheer and utter terror!".

It's also 1 percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration.

And there's very little that glamorous about the whole deal.

• ToshTosh Veteran
    edited February 2012
    @shanyin

The reality is when getting new toilets - instead of walking 100 paces with a shovel - is the most exciting thing to happen in a month!!

Photobucket
  • sometimes we get too phlosophical and start creating weird theories like this...war is never good...peace won't come from war...
    be practical....look at the obvious - don't be smart a...
    war brings suffering, pain, destruction, thousands years of unsolved conflicts...
    get real...
    haha
  • Do guys really poop beside one another?! ...gross!

Give me a shovel.
  • Yes it's true. In bootcamp, there were no stalls between any of the toilets, or showers.
  • overpopulation, climate change, pollution, lack of fresh water
    So is war helping us overcome these problems? If so, how? And if not, which greater good does it serve?

• war brings suffering, pain, destruction, thousands years of unsolved conflicts...
    get real...
    Very true! And what a waste of human resources, money, machinery, intelligence, and of course, life.

I've two friends suffering with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder; one whose got three very young children and he's just a mess. Some 'wars' never finish for some people.

• war is an outer manifestation of human's inner reality ->insanity and madness. I think I read that in Eckhort Tolle.
  • edited February 2012

So you can see so far into the future where we may even have science to remove such genes that make us greedy and egotistic which result in wars? It will be people like you and thoughts like this that will one day prevent our species from advancing or may even come to be our very own demise. There are no winners in war, war is bred by at least 1 of the 3 poisons that the Buddha spoke of, at least 1. Why can our species not advance and advance beyond these primitive states?
    Balogna. I think it is beyond the capabilities of science to change human nature. And besides, hard core fanatics and jihadis do not create mayhem out of greed or to boost their ego. They do it to please God. Do you think you can remove the "please God" gene? You presume that all wars are fought for economic interest, when they are not.

I live in the world as it is, not as I wish it to be.