Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

3-Hour Diet or 3 Meals a Day?

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited February 2012 in Diet & Habits
Experts debate how often we should eat for weight loss

By Elaine Magee, MPH, RD, LD
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic - Feature

Reviewed By Brunilda Nazario, MD

To eat three meals a day or to eat six small meals a day: that is the question. If you have heard about or read Jorge Cruise's new book, The 3-Hour Diet, you would bet the answer is the latter. But many nutrition researchers out there say, "not so fast!"

Cruise's plan boasts a three-point approach: eat breakfast within one hour of rising, eat every three hours, and stop eating three hours before bedtime. He says this ritualized way of eating increases BMR (baseline metabolic rate), increases energy levels, and decreases appetite, among other things. While many nutrition experts agree that when it comes to weight loss irregular eating patterns and skipped meals can mean trouble for most of us, there isn't anything close to a consensus on whether we are metabolically better off eating three regular meals a day or spreading that out into five or six smaller meals.

Bonnie Liebman, nutrition director of CSPI (Center for Science in the Public Interest) would like to see the studies Cruise used to formulate his 3 Hour Diet. "If there are any good studies proving his point, they certainly aren't well established," says Liebman.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=56254

Comments

• ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited February 2012
    I have always thought that eating many more smaller meals a day would be far better for your health as your stomach does not then have to deal with a multitude of food all at once. The simple fact is that most people do not have time to eat 6 times a day and make these small meals healthy with a variety of ingredients.

I always am captivated by the notion of eating once a day like that of monks and nuns. They often live long long lives and only eat once a day, often food which lacks substancial nutrition. Makes one wonder, is it really all physical, is it even 50-50, or is it mostly mental?
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I eat twice a day, breakfast then lunch in the early afternoon usually around 2. Sometimes I'll have a small snack at night. I don't know how it is for weight loss (I'm not overweight) but I think not eating for several hours before going to bed is good.
    @ThailandTom There's something called a calorie restricted diet that has proven to extend the lives of lab animals by some %30-%40 and reduces the occurance of many age related illnesses.

Not many studies have been done on humans but there are people who follow such a diet.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I eat twice a day, breakfast then lunch in the early afternoon usually around 2. Sometimes I'll have a small snack at night. I don't know how it is for weight loss (I'm not overweight) but I think not eating for several hours before going to bed is good.
    What kind of food if you don't mind me asking? I usually do 2 to 3 times a day.
    @ThailandTom There's something called a calorie restricted diet that has proven to extend the lives of lab animals by some %30-%40 and reduces the occurance of many age related illnesses.

Not many studies have been done on humans but there are people who follow such a diet.
    Like who? A few names?
    Nothing fancy, some oatmeal or cereal for breakfast with some fruit and then some dish with some type of protein and some vegetables, maybe another piece of fruit or some yogurt for dessert.
    Like who? A few names?
    No one famous that I know of but theres a calorie restriction society.
    edited February 2012
    Right at this point in my life I am eating one meal a day due to lack of money, it is easy for me to do as I have had experience with fasting, I let my partner eat 2-3 timea a day because I know she would not be able to cope until the end of the month in a similar way that I am at the moment.
    Right at this point in my life I am eating one meal a day due to lack of money, it is easy for me to do as I have had experience with fasting, I let my partner eat 2-3 timea a day because I know she would not be able to cope until the end of the month in a similar way that I am at the moment.
    Compassion at it's finest!:) Beautiful! Do you see that you can be okay with one meal a day? Then again...your job is not physically demanding. What type of food do you eat? Can you eat more rice and more veggies?
    Nothing fancy, some oatmeal or cereal for breakfast with some fruit and then some dish with some type of protein and some vegetables, maybe another piece of fruit or some yogurt for dessert.
    Like who? A few names?
    No one famous that I know of but theres a calorie restriction society.
    Thank you!
    I am wondering about yogurt. It gives double chins...! Lol. Well...Dairy does from what I can tell from my own experience. I like what you outlined there. That is your main breakfast outline? I do toast with peanut butter and jelly or rice milk and cereal with fruits either frozen or cut...like an apple or a banana. I also drink green tea or white tea. I also sometimes do toast with butter, food fat. Usually once a week. I am thinking of actually eating dinner for breakfast or for lunch and then light food dinner time. Any thoughts?
  • When I am not on hunger-strike as I am currently, I always eat vegetables daily, normally with chicken and rice or some variation of rice. I would eat rice at least twice a day and some fruit. Now and then get the sunflower and pumpkin seeds out. But at the moment I am eating cheap ready packaged noodle meals, not good. But owel, two days ago I went more than 24 hours without food and I was okay. There are phases with hunger, first the knowledge that you are hungry and then after a few hours a sickness that goes away within an hour of arising. Then after that you are not hungry, well I am not anyway. My girlfriend does not understand how I can do it, I just say that it is all in the mind, which is pretty much is.
    When I am not on hunger-strike as I am currently, I always eat vegetables daily, normally with chicken and rice or some variation of rice. I would eat rice at least twice a day and some fruit. Now and then get the sunflower and pumpkin seeds out. But at the moment I am eating cheap ready packaged noodle meals, not good. But owel, two days ago I went more than 24 hours without food and I was okay. There are phases with hunger, first the knowledge that you are hungry and then after a few hours a sickness that goes away within an hour of arising. Then after that you are not hungry, well I am not anyway. My girlfriend does not understand how I can do it, I just say that it is all in the mind, which is pretty much is.
    Good stuff! I have done fasts. The longest I have gone was 48 hours. My diet is pretty much like this: rice/noodles/veggies/fruits/nuts/cereal/bread/peanut butter/jelly/oatmeal/frozen veggies, sometimes I do meat mostly fish. Why are you on a hunger-strike? I am also looking into seeds that many of our ancestors ate, however... I cannot find any good information it. Know of any?
  • I have not done research, but the thais seem to eat a lot of pumpkin and sunflower seeds. Grains and seeds are quite important to a balanced diet. Well, not exactly hungerstrike, that was a miss-use of words, I just am low on money until nearer the end of this month, and it is a leap year as well :rarr:
  • I have not gone 48 hours without food, but I have gone nearly two weeks with one or no meals per day
  • That's interesting. I usually eat smaller meals throughout the day vs. big meals. And I snack constantly. But I don't really think about it when I do it. I don't know, maybe it's just because I get hungry easy, but the smaller meals+snacking keeps me full and not so hungry/grumpy.
  • I guess it depends on what you are snacking on. If I had to choose between 3 bigger meals a day or 6 smaller ones a day I would go for the 6 a day. But like it has been said above, I would not eat any carbs a few hours before going to sleep, that is not too clever.

I actually enjoy being hungry sometimes now, although it may sound weird I have grown acustom to it and it makes me appreciate food more when I actually do have it. It also has helped to prove to me exactly how powerful the mind can be, if something as essential as food can be negated to a certain extent with little problems, then what else can..?
    I have not done research, but the thais seem to eat a lot of pumpkin and sunflower seeds. Grains and seeds are quite important to a balanced diet. Well, not exactly hungerstrike, that was a miss-use of words, I just am low on money until nearer the end of this month, and it is a leap year as well :rarr:
    Good idea! My mom eats a lot of sunflower seeds! Maybe there is something to it! I am going to look into pumpkin and sunflower seeds! Good suggestion! I have to remember not to get the ones with salt, however. And low on money... I am in the same boat. It's okay keep moving and flowing! I was reading this one article...about one meal a day..Check it out: http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3045&start=40
    I guess it depends on what you are snacking on. If I had to choose between 3 bigger meals a day or 6 smaller ones a day I would go for the 6 a day. But like it has been said above, I would not eat any carbs a few hours before going to sleep, that is not too clever.

I actually enjoy being hungry sometimes now, although it may sound weird I have grown acustom to it and it makes me appreciate food more when I actually do have it. It also has helped to prove to me exactly how powerful the mind can be, if something as essential as food can be negated to a certain extent with little problems, then what else can..?
    Indeed the mind is amazing! You have made some interesting insights!:)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Unless food is a restriction, as it can be for Tom, or you are compelled to follow a specific diet due to personal medical conditions or circumstances, the best bit of advice i found was to eat when you're hungry and stop, and don't eat, when you're not.....
  • I just ate a giant bowl of cocoa puffs. No diet thoughts over here today. D'oh! (But for the record, I'm a grazer...)
    I just ate a giant bowl of cocoa puffs. No diet thoughts over here today. D'oh! (But for the record, I'm a grazer...)
    Careful!:)
  • I eat a lot but everything is prepared at home with loads of fresh fruit and veg, pulses,pasta etc and my weight never changes.....well I don't ever weigh myself but I suppose it would be obvious if it changed much more than a couple of kilos either way. I'll give you a quick run down of today so far

before work ( I leave home at 6.30 am) coffee and 3 wholemeal biscuits

after work (8.45 -9.00 am) coffee, 2 slices of home made multigrain bread 1 with veg pate, the other blue cheese pate

noonish home made lemonade and mixed fruit and nut muffin and an orange

4.45pm avocado salad
    leek and mushrooom pie and brussel sprouts
    kiwi, orange and strawberries

7.30pm I will have green tea and a piece of whatever cake is on the go this week

9.00pm an apple

The only thing I don't like about my choice of diet is that I spend half the day in the kitchen and not always in mindfulness even though I do try ;)
    edited February 2012
    <<blockquote rel="LeonBasin">

Thank you!
    I am wondering about yogurt. It gives double chins...! Lol. Well...Dairy does from what I can tell from my own experience. I like what you outlined there. That is your main breakfast outline? I do toast with peanut butter and jelly or rice milk and cereal with fruits either frozen or cut...like an apple or a banana. I also drink green tea or white tea. I also sometimes do toast with butter, food fat. Usually once a week. I am thinking of actually eating dinner for breakfast or for lunch and then light food dinner time. Any thoughts?

I'm not a dietary expert by far, I try my best to be healthy but I'm lazy so convenience is a big part of what I eat. I don't know about dairy leading to fat gain, my understanding is its soley about calories in vs calories out.

Most of my knowledge comes from the book Healing With Whole Foods by Paul Pichford. Highly recommended.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    I mean 3 hour diet may be OK and even work better for the body to lose weight but that's a pretty hard habit to maintain if your out and about or have a job.

I'm just counting calories.
  • I am always eating, but am mindful of what I eat. At work, I always am sure to have almonds, fruit, or vegetables on hand. You just need to be aware of what you are ingesting, as well as be sure to exercise daily.
    There is a great site, if anyone is interested, www.caloriecount.about.com
    It states how many calories you are to eat daily for optimum health using information you have entered, ie; weight, height, age, etc.
    You enter the foods you eat, it grades you. You enter the exercise you partake in, it grades you.
    It's a really great site to keep you aware.
    I eat a lot but everything is prepared at home with loads of fresh fruit and veg, pulses,pasta etc and my weight never changes.....well I don't ever weigh myself but I suppose it would be obvious if it changed much more than a couple of kilos either way. I'll give you a quick run down of today so far

before work ( I leave home at 6.30 am) coffee and 3 wholemeal biscuits

after work (8.45 -9.00 am) coffee, 2 slices of home made multigrain bread 1 with veg pate, the other blue cheese pate

noonish home made lemonade and mixed fruit and nut muffin and an orange

4.45pm avocado salad
    leek and mushrooom pie and brussel sprouts
    kiwi, orange and strawberries

7.30pm I will have green tea and a piece of whatever cake is on the go this week

9.00pm an apple

The only thing I don't like about my choice of diet is that I spend half the day in the kitchen and not always in mindfulness even though I do try ;)
    That sounds lovely!
    I mean 3 hour diet may be OK and even work better for the body to lose weight but that's a pretty hard habit to maintain if your out and about or have a job.

I'm just counting calories.
    That is a great point! Suggestions?
    Hmmm. Well I don't know what your scedual is like but... maybe you could fill yourself up a bit more before you go out then with your next meal pack light with something small like an apple... also just eating the 8 meals a day when possible.

• Leon, I eat about 1500 calories a day. I guess that's a calories restricted diet. And some days I eat about 1800.
  • @Lady_Alison That is exactly me--1500 calories most days and 1800 some days. It works for me.
    Yes counting calories is pretty safe way to go. I've been doing it for the last 3 days. I have to stay at 1900 or under to lose.
    <<blockquote rel="LeonBasin">

Thank you!
    I'm not a dietary expert by far, I try my best to be healthy but I'm lazy so convenience is a big part of what I eat. I don't know about dairy leading to fat gain, my understanding is its soley about calories in vs calories out.

Most of my knowledge comes from the book Healing With Whole Foods by Paul Pichford. Highly recommended.
  • Who said yogurt gives you double chins? Ha! Greek yogurt is nummy nummy.

This is my diet :

Egg white omelet and yogurt. Or oatmeal with fruit. Keep it at 500 calories. Sometimes I make lentils and put it into a tortilla with guacamole and eggwhites.

Snack : nuts, popcorn, dried fruit mix with granola, or some peanut butter and crackers.

Lunch : a 500 calorie sandwich

Snack : a few trisquits with cheese and fruit with a little dried meat.

Dinner : depending on how heavy lunch was usually a salad or some whole grain pasta with marinara. I read that carbs at night help you sleep.

So about 2000 calorie for a man is good. Add an hour of cardio 4 x a week to loose weight.
  • @raine it's not 1500 calories of chocolate is it? :)
  • @raine it's not 1500 calories of chocolate is it? :)
    lmao.

I have never counted calories, especially at the moment. Probably something like 400 a day or something :buck:
  • Tom...that's insane can you get family to send money. Don't make me call your mom.
    edited February 2012
    My dad is the one with all the money (parent seperated when I was young), and we don't have a relationship even though I have attempted contact twice in the last 2 years. That is up to him. My mum has helped all she can this month bless her, things in the UK are really bad financially, there have been huge cuts. My mum for example has lost just over 550 pounds per month in her paycheque, she is lucky to still have a job. it is only 3 more days anyway Alison, I can live without food for about a week I think without being tormented. Plus my beer belly I acquired as gone :P
  • @Lady_Alison unfortunately, no
  • Hey @Leon, I was in a shop yesterday and forget to mention here about some foods that you may be interested in trying. There was dried seaweed, water melon seeds, kernals of all kinds, shiitake mushrooms and others snacky things that are not covered in fat and chemicals. I will have a look next time I am there.
    Hey @Leon, I was in a shop yesterday and forget to mention here about some foods that you may be interested in trying. There was dried seaweed, water melon seeds, kernals of all kinds, shiitake mushrooms and others snacky things that are not covered in fat and chemicals. I will have a look next time I am there.
    That sounds really good! What type of store was it? Definitely let me know the names and all that! It would be a great snack and such!

• 7/11 believe it or not lol. I guess they are slightly different here than there?
    7/11 believe it or not lol. I guess they are slightly different here than there?
    Yup!:) I mean we do have a few things like you described, but it seems it has a lot of sugar and such.
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    In Japan there is a saying "hara hachi bu" which means "Stomach, eight tenths" ... or "eat until you're ~80% 'full' "

I have also heard similar wisdom worded as "It is always good to get up from the table a little hungry"

Key to a long life.
    In Japan there is a saying "hara hachi bu" which means "Stomach, eight tenths" ... or "eat until you're ~80% 'full' "

I have also heard similar wisdom worded as "It is always good to get up from the table a little hungry"

Key to a long life.
    Funny you mentioned this. I am actually following this beautiful saying:) %70-%80 full before I stop. Thank you!
  • I am working on stopping when I am full and not overeating. Also, I read alot about the bloodtype diet and o's need lots of veggies. However, I am an O and I feel like it goes against my values and beliefs.

Also, I am gluten free and lactose intolerant..... anybody have thoughts on how I can integrate a healthy diet with buddhism?
  • Oh ,I forgot to add.... I am new here:)
    Oh ,I forgot to add.... I am new here:)
    Welcome!
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    While many nutrition experts agree that when it comes to weight loss irregular eating patterns and skipped meals can mean trouble for most of us, there isn't anything close to a consensus on whether we are metabolically better off eating three regular meals a day or spreading that out into five or six smaller meals.

Though presumably there is a consensus that regular exercise is important to burn off some of the calories and keep the metabolism ticking over?
  • Hi Sophie!
  • Thanks for the welcoming. I am certain that we need to burn of the calories, however, we must be true to our bodies and listen to what they want/need.

Any thoughts on the BTD?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    I think it's not how often you eat, it's what you eat. The most effective thing for weight loss is higher protein, low-carb. You can have protein-snacks throughout the day, if you need to in order to maintain even blood sugar levels. The extra protein intake helps build lean muscle mass. This type of diet also helps stimulate human growth hormone, which supports good sleep patterns and helps with weight loss. Weight-bearing exercise between meals once a day also stimulates HGH, builds lean muscle mass (which itself helps with weight loss by amping up the metabolism), and speeds the weight loss by burning calories.