Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

why philosophers smoke pipes?

FenixFenix Veteran
edited March 2012 in Diet & Habits
more than being a revelation into the matter, I present this as question. It is directed towards regular peoples habits on smoking pipes too, rather than solely "philosophers". I am excluding from the possibilities, addiction, since no self-respecting, self-proclaimed philosopher would admit to have succumb to such atrocities. however such might be true for lay men in the general, I hardly accept.

I yesterday smoked a pipe and today feel completely out of breath in my activities.

I don't bother to link It, but If you wish, you may search "bertrand Russell on smoking" of an example for this enquiry.

forgive me for the lack of presentation and lack of emoticons , cause I know they make a text nicer to read, however I am on my phone which complicates issues

Comments

• VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    Nicotine makes you smarter...

http://www.correntewire.com/smoking_makes_you_smarter

/Victor
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    You didn't inhale the pipe smoke did you? Same concept as a cigar. Hold the smoke in your mouth until you feel a slight burn, then exhale it.

I don't smoke pipes often myself, preferring cigarettes or my hookah. But the concept is the same. When you are smoking something like a pipe or hookah, you must be very mindful of every action you take to insure the best smoke possible. When I smoke my hookah, I need to pack the tobacco just right. It cannot be too tight or too lose, it cannot be unevenly distributed, so on and so forth. I must constantly make sure the heat from the coals does not go too cold or too hot. It is almost like a ritual committed to muscle memory. I look like I am busy working on making sure the hookah smokes just right, but really it is all automatic. I sit back, exhale a huge cloud of smoke, and relax into my chair. As I watch the silver tinted smoke curl about the room my eyes lose focus on it and my mind wanders. Thoughts pop up that normally don't and I approach them in a mindful matter.

Smoking can be a very good source of meditation. Plus there is the fact that hookah smoking is delicious, heady, and refined.
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited March 2012
    I like smoking tobacco and I don't do it due to the health reasons and because I started to see that during an emotional time I showed signs that I could become emotionally dependant and I also felt some evidence of physical addiction. Still enjoy it in my mind though.
  • The smoke helps obscure the fact that you're actually talking bunkum?
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    @zayl

just a side question, do YOU inhale hookah smoke?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    ....I am excluding from the possibilities, addiction, since no self-respecting, self-proclaimed philosopher would admit to have succumb to such atrocities.
    you're kidding... right?

first, not all addictions are 'atrocities' ....
    secondly - of all people, a philosopher may be quite eager to admit to such a 'vice' if only to denote that as a philosopher, he understands the intricacies of addiction, better or more, than most.....

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Philosophers smoke pipes for the same reason that a disproportionate number of firefighters sport moustaches and a disproportionate number of male shrinks nourish Freud-like moustaches and beards ....

That reason? I haven't got a clue. :)
  • Philosophers dont smoke pipes

• FenixFenix Veteran
    @federica

well the reason of the word atrocity is, since submitting to a necessity to some habit would refuse autonomy If only in that one act. being a slave to something would then deny that individuals autonomy and I consider the word philosopher to be a vocation, in autonomy. how then would a "philosopher" call himself subservient to tobacco?
    why would a brain surgeon have to suffer dementia to proclaim himself knowledgeable in brains
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    @ihepf

yes they do
  • @Fenix, sorry i was just joking around :buck:

I have read somewhere that trough smoking a neurotransmitter called acetylcholin is released in the brain. That neurotransmitter is involved in memory processes.

From my experience:

Taking a smoke after an intense session of thinking is very relaxing and often solutions to a problem just pop up then. But just taking a break without smoking or a little walk would probably have the same effect...

From my experience:

Taking a smoke after an intense session of thinking is very relaxing and often solutions to a problem just pop up then. But just taking a break without smoking or a little walk would probably have the same effect...
    I get my best ideas sitting on the toilet.
    :D

...and no I am not sitting there right now.

• Same reason biologists eat grapefruit.
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    Same reason biologists eat grapefruit.
    its healthy?

• From my experience:

:D i have heard of people combining both techniques to the secret art of smoke sh**ting.
    Same reason biologists eat grapefruit.
    and have long hair... and wear sandals... ;)
  • After some research i have come to the conclusion that the question why philosophers smoke pipe has messed up cause and effect. Pipe smokers become philosophers. :p

“The fact is, Squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It’s the poor man’s friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth.”
    -”Sam Slick, The Clockmaker”

“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgement in all human affairs.”
    -Albert Einstein, 1950

“A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan.”
    -Edward George Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    I wonder why Einstein didn't go ahead and do heroin. be pretty mellow or did they not have it back then?
  • I wonder why Einstein didn't go ahead and do heroin. be pretty mellow or did they not have it back then?
    There is a good chance Einstein actually did take heroin somwhere in his life because it was legal in Germany till 1958.

But there is a difference between "somewhat calm" and too calm to think anything at all.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

no shit Sherlock.....

• more than being a revelation into the matter, I present this as question. It is directed towards regular peoples habits on smoking pipes too, rather than solely "philosophers". I am excluding from the possibilities, addiction, since no self-respecting, self-proclaimed philosopher would admit to have succumb to such atrocities. however such might be true for lay men in the general, I hardly accept.

I yesterday smoked a pipe and today feel completely out of breath in my activities.

You poor thing. But there is hope for you yet! ;)

I've been a daily pipe smoker almost without interruption for 5 years, (expect for when I have run out of tobacco!) You have made the common mistake of treating the pipe like a cigarette. I assure you the two have little in common when it comes to how you smoke and why most smoke a pipe.

First off, get a decent pipe and some good aromatic tobacco. You can secure good pipes for $40 or $50. Get some sort of local tobacco at a pipe store as the mass-produced tin tobacco I find to be worthless.

Secondly, don't inhale the pipe tobacco into your lungs. I can guarantee you will make yourself nauseous doing this and yes, short of breath. There are no filters on most pipes as there are on cigarettes, so inhaling them is actually a bit more traumatic. Like cigars, you should suck the pipe smoke into your mouth and then exhale after tasting the tobacco. It's about taste, not about getting a nicotine buzz.

Lastly, I have never met a man addicted to pipes. It's true that I smoke everyday, but last summer, I went nearly 3 months without smoking it. No withdrawals or mania followed the cold turkey quitting while at military training.

Pipe smokers tend to be very mellow personalities.
  • Smoking is such a terrible habit. If you have to, I'd say stick to weed. Tobacco, particulalry commercially manufactured tobacco, is sooooooo bad for you, and it's extremely addictive.

YUCK!!
  • Smoking is such a terrible habit. If you have to, I'd say stick to weed. Tobacco, particulalry commercially manufactured tobacco, is sooooooo bad for you, and it's extremely addictive.

YUCK!!
    Half-truth. 5 yard penalty. Repeat 3rd down.

Not all tobacco is the same. It depends what kind you are smoking and in what fashion. I'd much rather my kids pick up pipe smoking than some sort of mind-numbing, sense-numbing weed.

• I'm not recomending the use of weed, just that imo it is safer and less habit-forming than tobacco. I don't smoke at all anymore. Disgusting habit.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    @Fenix yes, because you are supposed to. It is more of a vapor than a smoke as well I should add.
  • vanilla flavored/scented pipe tabacco smells so good, compared to cigarette smoke. I think if you are going to smoke, don't smoke cigarettes. Smoke pipe tabacco or a cigar and in moderation.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Id rather keep my lungs and mouth healthier.
  • I like chewing on lightbulbs. Helps me think.
    @Bekenze, I don't understand... enlighten me.... :p
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    I like chewing on lightbulbs. Helps me think.
    right? but why do many seemingly intelligent also buddhists(alan watts) smoke. as would be as helpful to just eat lightbulbs
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    More importantly, does it really matter? It's as if you think that just because they smoke, it somehow invalidates them. That might not be what you mean, but that is how I'm seeing it so far. Smoking is smoking, plain and simple. The reason the more philosophical type seems to take a shine to pipe smoking is probably because it seems more cultured, refined, and tastes better than simply sucking down a cigarette. But yes Fenix, if you want to give pipe smoking a go, just hold the smoke in your mouth this time and you will see a vast improvement over inhaling it.
  • It's like a fancy pacifier for big babies and saves me gazing at me navel. :nyah:
    edited March 2012

:D i have heard of people combining both techniques to the secret art of smoke sh**ting.

I am so happy you did not combine those words the other way around.

/Victor

no shit Sherlock.....

Well I do have a Laptop you know.

• ZaylZayl Veteran
    @victorious

Please don't tell me you post regularly from there. I guess it isn't as bad as receiving a phonecall from someone that's dropping a deuce.

"Yeah hello man, how'ya HNNNNNNNNGGGGG doing?"
    ok, it appears we've found 'the level'.....
    edited March 2012
    The Lo level.

• ZaylZayl Veteran
    No shit.

(couldn't resist)
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Why do traditional Asian women smoke pipes? These days, it's usually just the grandmothers.

And what are they smoking in there?
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited March 2012
    Unlike smoking a cigarette or cigar - the revered pipe requires regular cleaning as when resins build up and gurgle as the pipe is puffed. If cleaning that vial smelling brown gunk isn't a deterrent to smoking then all the facts about mouth and throat cancers, brown teeth and dragon breath fall by the wayside it would seem.

Philosophers? It is said that in the U.S. there are two things one cannot be simultaneously - a smoker - and intelligent. I didn't say it so don't huff and puff at me.

Seen the graphics the FDA will impose on the U.S. tobacco industry as a result of the latest Appeals Court ruling? It's a horror show....

BTW this is not a sample of the graphics referred to above.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran

/Victor
    That is too interesting! Thank you!

/Victor
    I'll bet you a pound to a pinch of snuff that the research body is either employed by, or is part of - the tobacco industry.....

edited March 2012

/Victor
    I'll bet you a pound to a pinch of snuff that the research body is either employed by, or is part of - the tobacco industry.....

Naaa. Its science. Everybody knows what Scientist say is True. Science can not be bought. And it is immortal. And will eventually deliver us from all Evil. All you got to do is have FAITH and BELIEVE!

Do You Believe federica? Huh do you?

:nyah:

Sorry got carried away there for a moment. Back to normal now though.

Yep most probably funded by the TI. It might be true though at least for mice.

/Victor
    Sorry got carried away there for a moment....
    /Victor
    or perhaps you should be....

I was the other day but got sent home again.

"Consumed to large a dose of Buddhism and cant be rehabilitated." Says they.

Huh says I. I can handle it and besides I can quit whenever I want.

/Victor

• Philosophers? It is said that in the U.S. there are two things one cannot be simultaneously - a smoker - and intelligent. I didn't say it so don't huff and puff at me.

Silliness. What of people who eat fatty foods? Ice cream is bad for you. Orange juice is bad for you. Whiskey is hardly defensible. So many things are bad for you in life. And yet we consider chocolate cake and delectable foods the spice of life. Do we begrudge people and say they're not intelligent because they eat these foods too regularly?

I enjoy smoking not only for the taste and feel, but the culture. Going to a cigar or pipe store and meeting people from every background and ethnicity, all smoking Turkish, Virginian, English, pipe tobacco and all varieties of South American cigars. A cigar bar is one of the last refuges of manhood in the modern world.

I was the other day but got sent home again.

"Consumed to large a dose of Buddhism and cant be rehabilitated." Says they.

Huh says I. I can handle it and besides I can quit whenever I want.

/Victor
    :lol: maybe it should be available on prescription....

• Philosophers? It is said that in the U.S. there are two things one cannot be simultaneously - a smoker - and intelligent. I didn't say it so don't huff and puff at me.

Silliness. What of people who eat fatty foods? Ice cream is bad for you. Orange juice is bad for you. Whiskey is hardly defensible. So many things are bad for you in life. And yet we consider chocolate cake and delectable foods the spice of life. Do we begrudge people and say they're not intelligent because they eat these foods too regularly?

I enjoy smoking not only for the taste and feel, but the culture. Going to a cigar or pipe store and meeting people from every background and ethnicity, all smoking Turkish, Virginian, English, pipe tobacco and all varieties of South American cigars. A cigar bar is one of the last refuges of manhood in the modern world.

Seriousness.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/health/sns-rt-us-tobaccobre82k0pb-20120321,0,2798510.story
  • Like Monty Python sketch. A man and women, americans, are sitting at a table in a restaurant. Only what they are selecting on the menu are conversations. I forget the whole story but the punchline is when in their discussion they one says:

'do all philosophers start with an S ?'
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Why do traditional Asian women smoke pipes? These days, it's usually just the grandmothers.

And what are they smoking in there?
    What Asian ethnicity are you referring to? Because, from my experience as a Chinese person who has met many Chinese people, I've never seen an old Chinese lady smoke a pipe.