Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What kind of a virtual world we are living in

misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a HinduIndia Veteran
edited April 2012 in Buddhism Basics
after understanding some phenomena through theoretical understanding, it seems that the world we live in is not really as it seems.

sound does not exist - we speak and think that we generate sound through our mouth, but sound is realized through our ear and that too just air disturbance vibrating the ear-drums and then consciousness creating the magic of words we listen.

colour does not exist - there is nothing red or green outside - but light of a different wavelength, but when this image reaches our brain, then consciousness creates the magic of colours.

we touch other objects - but at the atomic level there is only electrons in the outer orbit getting repelled by the electrons of the external objects - so nothing touches in reality but our consciousness creates the magic of sensation of touching.

we feel matter as solid - but at its root level, it is mostly empty space with some vibrations in it - so solidness in reality does not seem to exist.

the biggest delusion is 'I' - till we live we create our world around this concept of 'I' and think our whole world will collapse if we are not there and always get caught up in stories about what I said, heard, felt, did to others - but suddenly at death 'I' is gone and whatever we said, heard, felt, did with this 'I' is over for ever.

So all these lead me to think what kind of a virtual world we are living in. Any views, please.

Comments

• What is your definition of "virtual?"
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited April 2012
    i have not defined virtual, so no my definition of virtual :)

i think virtual means non-real.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    You're right.
    It is 'non-real'
    it is 'real' also.
  • When it boils to the bare bone basics what difference does it make if we are in a "real" physical universe, a simulation, a singular thought creation of some god or some other unimaginable substrata?

Maybe there are profound differences, but I cannot make sense of them. In this world, in these lives, there is still connection, joy, suffering and all that jazz.

These are fascinating things to ponder, but to my mind, they are ultimately imponderable.
    When it boils to the bare bone basics what difference does it make if we are in a "real" physical universe, a simulation, a singular thought creation of some god or some other unimaginable substrata?
    i think it does make a difference - it is something like what was there in Matrix movie - the hero Keanu Reaves was told that he is going to enter a matrix and so what is out there will be a simulation and not real experience, so he was able to end it in the first part of the movie and come out of it - We all are also in a matrix of Samsara, but the root cause 'Ignorance' is so deeply rooted that we cannot perceive it through our six senses, rather the weird paradox is that the 5 senses are designed to take our attention to outer world and the mind controlling them even seems to enjoy this situation, making the situation more and more complex. The outer world is a projection of our mind, but we get so entangled in it thinking it as real that if we sometimes try to realize the things as they are, we even get a weird sense that is something crazy going inside us - then we have to convince ourselves that the outer world is not as we perceive, and this also goes with the concept of 'I'. This root cause of ignorance is so deeply rooted, that one moment even though we theoretically understand there is no 'I' and the next moment something comes up in our life and we start behaving as usual with clingings to the view of 'I' and our attachments and our aversions.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2012
    if you realise both are true, then you don't have a problem.
    It's only when you don't accept, or realise, that you have a problem.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited April 2012
    I like this. It always blows my mind when I think about all stuff is mostly empty space and how our particular brains interpret whatever info is coming at us from out there in a different way from say a snake. So 'reality' isn't something completely out there but almost wholely, if not entirely with quantum reality, in here.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Like already said....The world is real... it is the only one we have.. but it is relative, "empty of inherent existence". That does not mean there is another inherent, absolute, existence behind it (i.e. Brahman).. There is only this.. and "this" includes all valuing.

Ordinary life... day to day responsibilities and living.. is the "real" that counts.. I think when we start to say it is "only a dream" and so forth.. we are drifting into dissociation .
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Sound does not exist? How can I be hearing than?
    Colours don't exist? How can it be I'm seeing them?

You can't experience something that doesn't exist.

Sounds and colours and all that exist. Maybe not in the 'out there' world, but they do inside the mind. And the mind is at least just as real as the 'out there' world.

You say the world we live in, but all you experience is inside the body/mind, so maybe it is more accurate to say that the world lives in us..
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2012
    I mean, have you ever touched a soundwave? Have you ever seen a proton? Danced with an electromagnetic field? Tasted an atom? Probably not.

So than what's going to tell you they actually exist? As sort of said, you can only see them in a theory. Any information about them exists only as an idea, not as an experience. But all the information you actually have comes through your senses, through sound and sight etc. Therefore the mind is more real than the theories we use to describe the 'outside world'.

And that's why Buddhism doesn't try to find out what is "out there", but what is "in here". It doesn't want to see if there an inherent existance in sound in the world, but if there is a listener or owner of the experience of sound. And that's something no theory is going to tell us, only a direct experience.

With metta,
    Sabre
  • Appearances from dependent origination.

Can't put a finger on it. So smile and laugh.
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    edited April 2012
    IMO
    Breaking things down to atom level and depriving things/circumstances/mind of meaning is like saying the dharma is a collection of ............. w o r d s.
  • Why break it down to elemental features, or atoms, why not keep going... there is no basement... there is no level that is the benchmark of real and unreal..... all that is just as empty..... just as subject to a sliding scale ...no inside or outside either.. there aint nothin.... and not even nothin.

Which leaves only ordinary "this"... like the old "tree in the courtyard" Zen. It leaves conventional stuff... just doing stuff... no fantasy.

it's very disappointing..
    IMO
    Breaking things down to atom level and depriving things/circumstances/mind of meaning is like saying the dharma is a collection of ............. w o r d s.
    This is a good example of conventional and absolute reality. The conventional reality exists, if we put our hand in fire it gets burnt, if we read the Dharma it has meaning. But if we really dig down into it, try to find the ultimate, true way things exist we can't find any independently existing thing.
  • When it boils to the bare bone basics what difference does it make if we are in a "real" physical universe, a simulation, a singular thought creation of some god or some other unimaginable substrata?
    i think it does make a difference - it is something like what was there in Matrix movie - the hero Keanu Reaves was told that he is going to enter a matrix and so what is out there will be a simulation and not real experience, so he was able to end it in the first part of the movie and come out of it - We all are also in a matrix of Samsara, but the root cause 'Ignorance' is so deeply rooted that we cannot perceive it through our six senses, rather the weird paradox is that the 5 senses are designed to take our attention to outer world and the mind controlling them even seems to enjoy this situation, making the situation more and more complex. The outer world is a projection of our mind, but we get so entangled in it thinking it as real that if we sometimes try to realize the things as they are, we even get a weird sense that is something crazy going inside us - then we have to convince ourselves that the outer world is not as we perceive, and this also goes with the concept of 'I'. This root cause of ignorance is so deeply rooted, that one moment even though we theoretically understand there is no 'I' and the next moment something comes up in our life and we start behaving as usual with clingings to the view of 'I' and our attachments and our aversions.
    I agree it would make a difference if, like in the matrix, there was some possibility of ontological confirmation and "escape". But that doesn't seem possible from where I am. Moreover, its not like accounts of enlightenment etc suggest that this is a possible case.

I like the notion (I wrote this many moons ago: http://goo.gl/S5UsO) but I don't think an answer either way is available.

Shalom.
    When it boils to the bare bone basics what difference does it make if we are in a "real" physical universe, a simulation, a singular thought creation of some god or some other unimaginable substrata?
    I agree it would make a difference if, like in the matrix, there was some possibility of ontological confirmation and "escape". But that doesn't seem possible from where I am. Moreover, its not like accounts of enlightenment etc suggest that this is a possible case.

I like the notion (I wrote this many moons ago: http://goo.gl/S5UsO) but I don't think an answer either way is available.

Shalom.
    I can't say I completely understand your blog post but I think I'm with you on the matrix analogy not being entirely accurate. I think if the Buddhist view of enlightenment were made into a Matrix analogy, it would be more like Neo never leaves the matrix into the 'real' world, instead he would stay in the matrix but be able to see the code behind everything like at the end of the first movie.
  • Why break it down to elemental features, or atoms, why not keep going... there is no basement... there is no level that is the benchmark of real and unreal..... all that is just as empty..... just as subject to a sliding scale ...no inside or outside either.. there aint nothin.... and not even nothin.

Which leaves only ordinary "this"... like the old "tree in the courtyard" Zen. It leaves conventional stuff... just doing stuff... no fantasy.

it's very disappointing..
    Emptiness is form. Yea but pizza, beer, breasts. Come on the variety of emptiness is amazing.

Still gotta wipe your ass though. Life goes on.
  • I can't say I completely understand your blog post but I think I'm with you on the matrix analogy not being entirely accurate. I think if the Buddhist view of enlightenment were made into a Matrix analogy, it would be more like Neo never leaves the matrix into the 'real' world, instead he would stay in the matrix but be able to see the code behind everything like at the end of the first movie.
    Yes, I think I agree. And perhaps in "seeing the code" he would be able to make the Matrix "all right."

But we have these sentimental attachments that kind of contradict these possibilities, in the trivial and the existential sense.

An "atom for atom" copy of my childhood teddy bear would simply not be the same for me as my actual childhood teddy bear. This seems similar to this world not being the same as an experientially identical world that is in some sense a designed simulation. I just don't think we could make sense of what that sense is, if that makes sense!:)

Namaste
    agreed with @sabre - the problem is not 'out there', but rather the problem is 'in here'.

samsara is not 'out there', rather samsara is inside our mind.

the problem is - the ultimate reality and conventional reality are mutually exclusive in experience. we or our mind can be either in ultimate reality view or in conventional reality view.

the root problem of ignorance is so deeply-rooted in our mind that the moment our mind thinks about something - a sense of individuality crops up immediately as 'I' am thinking, so this dilemma can never be resolved by thinking and analyzing. BUT while living in this world, we operate through our 5 senses which are guided by our mind - so it implies till we are operating in this world, this sense of 'I' can never be removed totally, only exception being the case of Buddha who had attained Nirvana but still wished to continue in this world to help others by teaching about how to end suffering and to attain liberation.

to add the complexity is the law of karma and law of this/that conditionality and dependent origination. who knows what amount of past bad/good karma's effect is still left to be beared and who knows how much more lifes one has to go through to end this cycle of samsara. who knows if the meditation is not peaceful and not leading to arising of the factors of the Path - may be it is due to past bad karma's effect whose effect comes into play to disturb our meditation. This is not to say that we should not try to end this cycle of samsara - we dont know what future has for us, but we can at least try to do meditation to experience the ultimate reality and to end this cycle of suffering.

i think because of this, the path leading to ending this cycle is through renunciation.
  • this makes me wonder even further...

we live in a 'virtual' world....
    and from that world we're going more and more into a virtual (digital) world as a species.

don't have an opinion or some statement about this.

• patbbpatbb Veteran
    You're right.
    It is 'non-real'
    it is 'real' also.
    it is real.

just different than what we were lead to believe.

Realizing this difference and seeing the world as it really is leads to end of suffering btw.
    cool coincidence.

it would suck if it were the other way around.
  • While we're dreaming, we don't think we're dreaming. We take things very seriously in the dream , do all sorts of tings like traveling to a place we never seen before, even flying!. We only realize it's just a dream after we wake up to a different reality.
  • yamadayamada Veteran
    Nice thinking!

Read your article is like reading what Einstein thinking. haha. And i like what you say about "the biggest delusion is 'I'". It is remind me when i was 4 years old. My nanny ask to me : "Who are you?"

I can't answer that question. It is not enough when you just answer with "I am a human being"

That question is more than just it. It makes me wondering "Who am i? for what i was born in here?"

I became curious about myself. I became realized that i didn't know myself. The self that I used now. Until now, i really don't know who am i.
  • nlightennlighten Explorer

Take this kiss upon the brow!
    And, in parting from you now,
    Thus much let me avow-
    You are not wrong, who deem
    That my days have been a dream;
    Yet if hope has flown away
    In a night, or in a day,
    In a vision, or in none,
    Is it therefore the less gone?
    All that we see or seem
    Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
    Of a surf-tormented shore,
    And I hold within my hand
    Grains of the golden sand-
    How few! yet how they creep
    Through my fingers to the deep,
    While I weep- while I weep!
    O God! can I not grasp
    Them with a tighter clasp?
    O God! can I not save
    One from the pitiless wave?
    Is all that we see or seem
    But a dream within a dream?

A Dream Within A Dream

Edgar Allan Poe
    edited April 2012
    Nice thinking!

Read your article is like reading what Einstein thinking. haha. And i like what you say about "the biggest delusion is 'I'". It is remind me when i was 4 years old. My nanny ask to me : "Who are you?"

I can't answer that question. It is not enough when you just answer with "I am a human being"

That question is more than just it. It makes me wondering "Who am i? for what i was born in here?"

I became curious about myself. I became realized that i didn't know myself. The self that I used now. Until now, i really don't know who am i.
    @yamada: My view: Guess what you are not alone - there are many including me trying to know - Who am I? - and when the answer will be achieved through direct experience it will be something called as Self-Realization in Hinduism or Nirvana in Buddhism.

now somebody will say Self-Realization is not same as Nirvana as Buddha said there is no self, but Buddha did not commented whether there is any Self existing.

Even I am also not saying that Self-Realization is same as Nirvana - but what i am trying to say is that both these realizations are the realizations of ultimate reality and also have a common path to achieve it.

we can have a theoretical understanding of 'I' being just a label, but then the question arises - how does consciousness arises from something unconscious like matter or what is consciousness referred to as Buddhahood or plain Buddha consciousness referred in Tibetian Buddhism in the movie for the Tibetian Book of the Dead?

The only thing which is certain is that these things cannot be explained/understood through intellectual reasoning.

All these answers can only be understood by direct experience, as it is just not about question-answer but to practically realize the ultimate reality - then shall the objective of human birth be attained.

All these are based on my theoretical understanding as I have not experienced anything with direct experience till now and it seems the way things are going, I shall never be able to even come close to it, leave the question of experiencing it :( .
  • Things are not as they seem. Nor are they otherwise.
  • I find the pragmatic approach the most consistent - things are as they seem at the time and we work with this knowing of the limitations - the rest is only mind games. Mind you this kind of topic made for many interesting intellectual conversations I engaged in during my 20's, now I just get on with it - lol.
  • yamadayamada Veteran

The only thing which is certain is that these things cannot be explained/understood through intellectual reasoning.

All these answers can only be understood by direct experience, as it is just not about question-answer but to practically realize the ultimate reality - then shall the objective of human birth be attained.
    I like that opinion :)
    I feel the same. Yeah,you are right. Cannot be explained by intellectual reasoning and only be understood by direct experience.
    Glad to know you in here. thanks :)
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2012

All these are based on my theoretical understanding as I have not experienced anything with direct experience till now and it seems the way things are going, I shall never be able to even come close to it, leave the question of experiencing it :( .
    Why this negativity?
    Everybody has buddha nature, everybody can train letting go.

With metta,
    Sabre
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I used to entertain the idea of non-reality but it never leads me anywhere. If all is illusion, we still have to navigate obstacles and that makes it real by default.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I am this individual but that is not all that I am. I am the entire universe expressed in a unique form. Through the evolution of the brain, we distinguish between things but the distinction seems to me to be a product. A rose doesn't make any distinctions of any kind for lacking a brain but it also doesn't suffer from the notion that it is seperate. The rose is the entire universe. It is alive and all inclusive.
    edited April 2012
    I used to entertain the idea of non-reality but it never leads me anywhere.
    My view: this is the problem - it is not about entertaining/understanding the idea of non-reality, rather it is about experiencing things as they are through direct experience.
    If all is illusion, we still have to navigate obstacles and that makes it real by default.
    My view/thinking: the moment the concept of 'I' evolves, ultimate reality dissolves and stories begin. that is why experiencing the ultimate reality becomes more important, as after that experience even if we have to survive in this world, then also that experience would have made such a strong shift in the way our mind works by shifting from unwholesome mental states to wholesome mental states, that who knows we may see the world from a different viewpoint as did Buddha after getting awakened. So later, what are currently seen as obstacles from conventional viewpoint of 'I', may later be experienced as just things with the thought of obstacle being removed totally from the calm mind after awakening - and we may see things as just phenomenon/process which is rising and falling away with no inherent existence and so unworthy of attachment.

All these are based on my theoretical understanding and thinking, as I have not experienced anything with direct experience till now.

Why this negativity?
    Everybody has buddha nature, everybody can train letting go.

With metta,
    Sabre
    Thanks for the support.

Not becoming negative, but don't know when i will learn to let go in my meditation and also in my life. But trying to do it, as you already are somewhat aware about it in my other thread about my mind keeps on chattering.
    I find the pragmatic approach the most consistent - things are as they seem at the time and we work with this knowing of the limitations - the rest is only mind games. Mind you this kind of topic made for many interesting intellectual conversations I engaged in during my 20's, now I just get on with it - lol.
    So how old are you now? :rolleyes:
    edited April 2012

I like that opinion :)
    I feel the same. Yeah,you are right. Cannot be explained by intellectual reasoning and only be understood by direct experience.
    Glad to know you in here. thanks :)
    Glad to know you in here too :) and since now i am here on this website for sometime now, so i think i can welcome you to this website, so from my side - welcome to this website ;)
    Things are not as they seem. Nor are they otherwise.
    your one liner or two liners are too good. :thumbsup: Liked it.
  • I guess perhaps we can use the virtual side as a way to accept some of the harsh realities.
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited April 2012
    I find the pragmatic approach the most consistent - things are as they seem at the time and we work with this knowing of the limitations - the rest is only mind games. Mind you this kind of topic made for many interesting intellectual conversations I engaged in during my 20's, now I just get on with it - lol.
    Now ... I am 48 years old, was my birthday yesterday

:p
    and I can see appreciate the interest in films like the The Matrix.
    edited April 2012
    I used to entertain the idea of non-reality but it never leads me anywhere.
    My view: this is the problem - it is not about entertaining/understanding the idea of non-reality, rather it is about experiencing things as they are through direct experience.
    Ok but that doesn't seem to indicate an illusory world in my view. We are here now... This I know. What "here" is exactly is irrellevant to knowing we are here now. When you say " experiencing things as they are through direct experience" are you talking of touching our true nature or are you speaking of the nature of idividuality? I only ask because our individual selves are a natural part of direct experience.
    My view/thinking: the moment the concept of 'I' evolves, ultimate reality dissolves and stories begin. that is why experiencing the ultimate reality becomes more important, as after that experience even if we have to survive in this world, then also that experience would have made such a strong shift in the way our mind works by shifting from unwholesome mental states to wholesome mental states, that who knows we may see the world from a different viewpoint as did Buddha after getting awakened.
    Rivers once again are rivers.
    So later, what are currently seen as obstacles from conventional viewpoint of 'I', may later be experienced as just things with the thought of obstacle being removed totally from the calm mind after awakening - and we may see things as just phenomenon/process which is rising and falling away with no inherent existence and so unworthy of attachment.
    I appreciate that but I meant actual obstacles... Cars, falling rocks, holes... That kind of thing.
  • This is like the Madyamaka philosophy. When we dice up reality and see what it is all we get is sawdust.

But experience when not analyzed is what it is. It is important to realize experience is empty and ungraspable.

There is no problem. Just appearances. Thoughts, feelings, ideas, emotions, and feedback.

There is no problem.
  • agreed with @sabre - the problem is not 'out there', but rather the problem is 'in here'.

samsara is not 'out there', rather samsara is inside our mind.

the problem is - the ultimate reality and conventional reality are mutually exclusive in experience. we or our mind can be either in ultimate reality view or in conventional reality view.

the root problem of ignorance is so deeply-rooted in our mind that the moment our mind thinks about something - a sense of individuality crops up immediately as 'I' am thinking, so this dilemma can never be resolved by thinking and analyzing. BUT while living in this world, we operate through our 5 senses which are guided by our mind - so it implies till we are operating in this world, this sense of 'I' can never be removed totally, only exception being the case of Buddha who had attained Nirvana but still wished to continue in this world to help others by teaching about how to end suffering and to attain liberation.

to add the complexity is the law of karma and law of this/that conditionality and dependent origination. who knows what amount of past bad/good karma's effect is still left to be beared and who knows how much more lifes one has to go through to end this cycle of samsara. who knows if the meditation is not peaceful and not leading to arising of the factors of the Path - may be it is due to past bad karma's effect whose effect comes into play to disturb our meditation. This is not to say that we should not try to end this cycle of samsara - we dont know what future has for us, but we can at least try to do meditation to experience the ultimate reality and to end this cycle of suffering.

i think because of this, the path leading to ending this cycle is through renunciation.
    I think this is why some teachers in Tibetan Buddhism (philosophies perhaps) see something wrong with the two truths. It's as if we meditate and access emptiness, but we are still afraid that we will cause some bad karma that we can't escape from into that emptiness like sinking in quicksand.

This doesn't make sense and even those philosophies (this is just my recollections from a bit of exposure).... even those philosophies teaching the two truths say that only a Buddha sees the two truths as unified.

Lord Longchenpa, I think, said that his mind was as vast as the sky but he respected karma like fine grains, I think that was the metaphor.

• Nice thinking!

@yamada: My view: Guess what you are not alone - there are many including me trying to know - Who am I? - and when the answer will be achieved through direct experience it will be something called as Self-Realization in Hinduism or Nirvana in Buddhism.

now somebody will say Self-Realization is not same as Nirvana as Buddha said there is no self, but Buddha did not commented whether there is any Self existing.

Even I am also not saying that Self-Realization is same as Nirvana - but what i am trying to say is that both these realizations are the realizations of ultimate reality and also have a common path to achieve it.

we can have a theoretical understanding of 'I' being just a label, but then the question arises - how does consciousness arises from something unconscious like matter or what is consciousness referred to as Buddhahood or plain Buddha consciousness referred in Tibetian Buddhism in the movie for the Tibetian Book of the Dead?

It's not a bad thing to analyze these things with reasoning or study. It's like practicing for a speach. Like learning the material.
    edited April 2012
    When you say " experiencing things as they are through direct experience" are you talking of touching our true nature or are you speaking of the nature of idividuality?
    @ourself: My view: " experiencing things as they are through direct experience" means what Buddha experienced after getting Awakened. so my thinking says - sitting in meditation, mindfulness of breath and clear comprehension of the breath leading to wisdom - this wisdom will unfold our true nature to us.
    I only ask because our individual selves are a natural part of direct experience.
    i think there is some confusion here on the interpretation of the term direct experience - let me try to clarify - what i am referring to direct experience is what we observe by closing our eyes and stilling our mind, which Buddha did and i am not able to do it till now, can't say about you or others - what we observe, feel etc for the outside world, this i refer to as experience and not direct experience.

so we are natural part of experience - but we do not see things as they are, but we see things how we believe they are.

Read it somewhere and found it is agreeable - We don't believe what we see, rather we see what we believe.

@ourself : well thanks for raising these statements, as it lead me to think over it more. Though i know this thinking or not thinking does not help much, what matters is direct experience. But till we do not have direct experience, it is still somewhat good to try to know things as they are.
    edited April 2012

So later, what are currently seen as obstacles from conventional viewpoint of 'I', may later be experienced as just things with the thought of obstacle being removed totally from the calm mind after awakening - and we may see things as just phenomenon/process which is rising and falling away with no inherent existence and so unworthy of attachment.
    I appreciate that but I meant actual obstacles... Cars, falling rocks, holes... That kind of thing.
    @ourself : If we change our view and then view the things as they are, without adding our stories, then we shall be able to see that there is no obstacle anywhere, even no actual obstacle. Then we will see neither car, nor falling rock, nor hole, neither anything is an obstacle. The only obstacle which is there is the thought in the mind that there is an obstacle.
    edited April 2012
    Now ... I am 48 years old, was my birthday yesterday

:p
    and I can see appreciate the interest in films like the The Matrix.
    @andyrobyn: Happy birthday to you, though belated by one day :)

its strange see - yesterday i asked you how old are you and yesterday was your birthday. i hope you are not joking that your birthday was yesterday.
    edited April 2012

I think this is why some teachers in Tibetan Buddhism (philosophies perhaps) see something wrong with the two truths.
    @Jeffrey: i think there is nothing wrong with the two truths - both truths are true, the only difference being ultimate truth is always true and does not need any frame of reference with respect to which it is said, where as conventional truth is only true with respect to the frame of reference in which it is said.

conventional truth has a problem that the frame of reference in which conventional truth is said has the assumption of 'I' at a very subtle or gross level, because of ignorance - leading to attachment and aversion - and hence not allowing us to see things as they are.
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Thanks for the birthday wishes !! My birthday is the 16th which was yesterday, which yes, was when you asked the question. I think - depending on time zones, when you asked as opposed to when I answered etc - lol

:eek2:

@ourself : If we change our view and then view the things as they are, without adding our stories, then we shall be able to see that there is no obstacle anywhere, even no actual obstacle. Then we will see neither car, nor falling rock, nor hole, neither anything is an obstacle. The only obstacle which is there is the thought in the mind that there is an obstacle.
    That doesn't make sense to me. We do indeed have to navigate around things lest we be crushed by them.

That there is no rock is just another story.

Put it this way... If there is no "I" then there is no "other"... No rock, no squirrel and no Buddha.

Because things are empty of a permanent self does not make them illusory. This chain of logic leads to nhilism as if there are no things, there is little point to compassion. Nhilism seems to be a natural obstacle we overcome as Buddhists.

Our true nature may be beyond these individuals but to negate the self is to negate everything. If we were to truely shed our "self" we would be no good to anybody. I think the idea iss to expand our limited notion of self to include all that is.

Have you read the poem by Thich Nhat Hanh "Call me by my true names"? It really hits this home for me.
    edited April 2012

That doesn't make sense to me. We do indeed have to navigate around things lest we be crushed by them.

That there is no rock is just another story.

Sorry, but i think you are still not getting the point.
    Put it this way... If there is no "I" then there is no "other"... No rock, no squirrel and no Buddha.

Because things are empty of a permanent self does not make them illusory. This chain of logic leads to nhilism as if there are no things, there is little point to compassion. Nhilism seems to be a natural obstacle we overcome as Buddhists.

Let me try to explain what i am trying to say - may be i am not able to express my view clearly.

I am not saying that there is nothing out there in the world and neither i am saying that nothing is existing. So i am not saying that it is total nihilism.

What i am saying is that things are there, but not the way we see them.

Now lets take your example to clarify the things - you say car is an obstacle as it can crush you. Now this is what a layperson will see/think - but it is not seeing the things as they are. this is not to say there is no car out there or you will not die if the car hits you badly, but the core problem is slightly subtle.

Now let me take you to what my theoretical understanding of Buddha's teachings say: you see an obstacle in car - first of all there is only a car and a you. now you think about you only as your body because you are attached to your body - if you say you are not attached to your body, then the worry of dying will not be there, so even if the car hits you and you die, then also you will see that it is not something to worry because the body is impermanent and its nature is to perish one day or the other, either by itself or by some external cause - so if something is impermanent, then your thought of keeping it as permanent and safe always, will always lead you to suffering. But when you see the things as they are, then you will see that your body is just an aggregation of earth, water, wind and fire and it is impermanent and it is not-self, So there is no 'you' to begin the story. It is only a matter (car) running over another matter(your body). The obstacle was not the car hitting you, the obstacle was that you do not want to die, or in other words, the obstacle was your clinging to the view of your body being your self and your clinging to keep your body as such with no change allowed to your body.

Hope now you would have got my view. The above is based on my theoretical understanding only, as till now i have not experienced anything with direct experience.